Colorado400 NMEA ?

soup

Rothstafari and Hydee informed me of the Wherigo platform during our Champoeg Geocaching event.

I have a Windows Mobile pocket PC (HP Traveler) that I will use first.

However, the Colorado400 has me intrigued.

Before I purchase a Colorado400, can anyone tell me if it has NMEA in/out capabilities?

I cant find a definitive answer on Garmin or elsewhere.

aTdHvAaNnKcSe

soup.

Before I purchase a Colorado400, can anyone tell me if it has NMEA in/out capabilities?

It has NMEA capabilities, but I've read several reports of people having issues with it. The problem appears to be that the Colorado only has a USB output and NMEA is normally a serial connection. Using the usb-to-serial adaptor doesn't work because the Colorado thinks it's being plugged into a laptop and it goes into "storage mode" (which is how you transfer things to it) and doesn't act like a GPS when it's plugged in. This is probably something that will be fixed in a firmware update eventually, but I don't know how or when. Again, take all this with a grain of salt, I'm just repeating what I've seen in a few posts by people who've tried it.

The best thing you can do for more accurate information is to check the Groundspeak GPS Units and Software forum or the Colorado FAQ page. The forum has a few posts from people who've tried it with mixed results.

Rothstafari and Hydee informed me of the Wherigo platform during our Champoeg Geocaching event.

I have a Windows Mobile pocket PC (HP Traveler) that I will use first.

However, the Colorado400 has me intrigued.

aTdHvAaNnKcSe

soup.

Firmware 2.51 has NMEA capabilities with the usb and the spanner program that creates a virtual com port on your desktop to talk to any programs. The map 60 can use the same usb cable and the spanner program too. Spanner is free download.