Lithium batteries in a 60CSx

bhj1

The 60Csx(and my vistaCx) used to have a setting for lithium batteries, garmin removed it with one of the more recent unit software updates. I believe the reason was that because of the high initial battery voltage you could damage the unit. If you do put new lithium batteries in the unit will more than likely power itself off shortly, you can run the batteries down a bit in another device then they will work fine.

The vistaHCX came out after the 60csx so they probably updated the units internals to handle the higher voltage, that would be my guess is to why it still has this option.

Edited by hogrod

The last update removed the lithium setting. Fresh lithiums are too much for the sirf units. You can use lithiums if you power them down a bit in a flashlight first for a few minute, otherwise the unit fades off. Garmin removed the option because it couldn't find a fix and didn't want to be responsible for any damage I would assume.

The last update removed the lithium setting. Fresh lithiums are too much for the sirf units. You can use lithiums if you power them down a bit in a flashlight first for a few minute, otherwise the unit fades off. Garmin removed the option because it couldn't find a fix and didn't want to be responsible for any damage I would assume.

I don't think this is a problem with most 60CSx's just some; unfortunately mine is one of them :D

I see in their latest manual (Rev E) however that they do acknowledge the problem; up through Rev D they were still reccomending the use of lithiums in cold weather.