Cache icons on cache description page & map

BiT

Just noticed this on a cache I just downloaded to my CO. I downloaded an Earthcache but the cache icons appears as the blue question mark rather than the Earthcache icon. Is this something that Groundspeak needs to fix because it looks like that is the way the info was sent. Note: I used the send to GPS button on cache page.

8fd03b2f-8b3a-46a3-8224-0b97041fabd7.jpg

45d7b473-e495-4de0-a381-2b207574f193.jpg

Also when I load a cache I have found I don't get a smiley icon, instead I get the cache icon.

I've posted this in the GPS Units and Software Forum but I think it need to go here instead.

Well I got an email from Groundspeak but it didn't say if the issue would be fixed.

It would be nice to see an earthcache appear as a earthcache and not wonder if it is a mystry cache. Conversely, it would be nice to see a mystry cache and go to find it and discover it is an earthcache.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for writing in and the heads-up.

Eric

Groundspeak, Inc.

Ticket Details

===================

Ticket ID: KFR-930871

Department: Geocaching

Priority: Medium

Okay, it now appears that the EarthCache icon has changed from the Question Mark to the Green Box. Now some cachers may be looking at EarthCache locations for containers. Could be a big issue in a senitive location!

I got an email form Groundspeak yesterday. Apparently the earthcache and webcam icons are a Garmin issue not Groundspeak?

Anybody know for sure, because Garmin told me on the phone a while back that it was the way that the GPSr (Colorado) read the GPX file determined the icon displayed and Groundspeak didn't have the proper code in the GPX file to display earthcaches and webcams.

Anybody know for sure, because Garmin told me on the phone a while back that it was the way that the GPSr (Colorado) read the GPX file determined the icon displayed and Groundspeak didn't have the proper code in the GPX file to display earthcaches and webcams.

That rep probably unintentionally misled you. When I download a .GPX file of a webcam, the file contains this line that identifies it as a webcam:

<type>Geocache|Webcam Cache</type>

The information is there, because programs like GSAK can properly identify cache types. I created a test GPX file containing one of every type of cache, and discovered that as of the 2.51 beta firmware, the following caches have their own unique icons: traditionals, multis, mystery caches, virtuals, events, CITO events, letterboxes, and webcams. Everything else has the generic green "traditional" icon.

I don't remember off the top of my head, but I think that before I updated the firmware, miscellaneous cache types showed up with the question mark (mystery) icon. I also think I remember that the update added the webcam icon, because I see it now on my 400t (I can post a screenshot as proof when I get off of work).

Edited by DavidMac