Vixel

Hi, I thought I'd introduce myself so I don't end up lurking! I'm new to geocaching, although I heard about it quite a long time ago, as initially I dismissed it as impossible since I don't drive and being a student, couldn't justify buying a GPS. Upon recently upgrading my phone to a model that has integrated GPS, along with a thread on another forum on the subject, my interest was renewed and I was delighted to discover that there are several caches within a short walk of my house, and more that I can get to quite easily on public transport.

Even though I haven't actually found one yet (I signed up yesterday, intending to walk to a particular cache this afternoon - however when I returned from uni at 4 in the afternoon there was still ice everywhere so I decided it wasn't such a great idea) I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up hooked, in fact, I already have several ideas for creative items to trade!

I hope introductions are allowed, please let me know if they're not, or I've posted in the wrong place!

Vicki :anicute:

Hi Vicki welcome to the addiction :D:D , you'll find that once you've reached about 10 finds your addicted to the hobby ;)

Deci

Deci, if she's already posted here then she's addicted BEFORE finding her first cache B)

Welcome to the hobby. You let a little bit of ice put you off looking, you're a student at least say it was a hangover or a essay!!! :D

Hi Vixel

Welcome to geocaching :D

Our first attempt at finding our first cache was in early March 2006 in the Black Mountains on a long hike. Once we got to the top of the hills we could see that the search was going to be impossible as thick snow and ice lay everywhere. Undeterred we have since gone on to find over 600.

Even though we have a car I (Mrs F.B.) often travel by public transport or bike to find caches.

Hi Vicki welcome to the addiction ;):D , you'll find that once you've reached about 10 finds your addicted to the hobby :D

Deci

Deci, if she's already posted here then she's addicted BEFORE finding her first cache :D

Welcome to the hobby. You let a little bit of ice put you off looking, you're a student at least say it was a hangover or a essay!!! :D

I think I have an addictive personality B)

Welcome to the magical and sometimes frustrating word of tupperware hunting :D

If someone asks you what Geocaching is tell them that its the use of multi billion pound satellites to find tupperware in woods :D

:D I may well use that!

Thanks for the welcome, I'm sure I'll become a frequent poster on here!

Lurk all you want :D thats how you pick up tips and hints ;)

by the way hows the battery life on these phones when you use it for caching , I would be interested as I`m sure would others, in the experience you have when using the caching mode .

(there are Yellow EtrexH on sale now for about £80 I believe , if you find you need a cheap separate GPS )

Edited by Archangel_UK

welcome, it also takes over you holidyas as well :lol:

I imagine it'll be a fabulous distraction from my dissertation at Easter ;)

Lurk all you want :) thats how you pick up tips and hints :)

by the way hows the battery life on these phones when you use it for caching , I would be interested as I`m sure would others, in the experience you have when using the caching mode .

(there are Yellow EtrexH on sale now for about £80 I believe , if you find you need a cheap separate GPS )

I'll let you know when I know, I'll try and post some kind of review, though I can't guarentee it'll be great as I have nothing to compare it to :unsure:

The ExrexH is an option though, if the phone turns out to be inaccurate / short-lived. I think I'll get something separate eventually anyway, since it's not exactly waterproof!

Welcome! Geocaching is great - like a cross between hunt the thimble and hide and seek for grown-ups I reckon. It gives you the excuse to play and do daft things under the guise of a respectable hobby - a very healthy addiction! Have fun!

:) I think that was its initial appeal!