Summary of Garmin software for Macintosh

Parsa

In the last year, Garmin has produced several pieces of Mac and PC software for making things better for Mac owners who use Garmin GPS receivers.

• Can users supply a summary of these Garmin apps for the forums?
  • How do you use them and how well do they work?
  • Has the release of Bobcat made some of these obsolete?
  • What needs to be added or improved?
  • How do they make caching easier?

Links to the appropriate download pages would be welcome.

The general Apple Macintosh page on Garmin's site is http://www8.garmin.com/macosx/.

Parsa

... also, why does the City Navigator NT Update software for 2008 say it is OS X compatible?

If I buy the full version of City Navigator NT for 2008, is that also Mac compatible? I see no statement of this, so why is the Update compatible with OS X? On the Garmin site it only says that CN for North America and Europe will be released soon for Mac.

Parsa

Thanks QJ,

They did a fair job with that page, too. I like sellers who clear things up for you, and gpscity has always seemed better than Garmin at explaining things to consumers.

I wish they had Topo coming out as well... oh and while I'm wishing, I would like them to be a bit more liberal with their unlock codes too. :unsure:

Parsa

I am very excited to know about the City Navigator Pre-ordering! Thanks for that link.

Regarding Mac software, here are a number of programs available.

Simple Waypoint Transfer:

GPSBabel

Mac SimpleGPS

LoadMyTracks

Geocache Managers:

MacCaching

GeoJournal

Commercial Programs:

MacGPS Pro

GPSy

Garmin Bobcat (Mapquest type) for Mac:

Bobcat Current Beta Release

There may be some that I'm missing. The only one I have used extensively is MacGPS Pro. It works very well for saving and transferring tracks and waypoints. You can load and use maps on your computer for creating and editing waypoints--Topo maps are available for purchase, and maps can be downloaded from various sources.

I have downloaded and played (briefly) with Geojournal and MacCaching, but have not used them extensively.

As noted above in this thread, Garmin is expected to be releasing City Navigator for Mac shortly.

[*]Has the release of Bobcat made some of these obsolete?

I will add my thoughts on this. Note that my perspective is that of a benchmark hunter. For my purposes, I will continue to use MacGPS Pro, because I can overlay my tracks and waypoints on top of 1:24K USGS Topo maps on my screen.

This is helpful for me to know where I've been, and in setting up benchmarking trips. Many marks that I hunt for are found on the USGS Topos. For this reason, even if at some point I buy Mac Topo software from Garmin, I will continue to use MacGPS Pro, because of the maps I have available to me on my home computer.

That said, I will likely be pre-ordering City Navigator. I have used and will use Garmin's Bobcat for some things, but there are other things that I can't do with Bobcat that I will continue to use MacGPS Pro for. I would also say that for now, Bobcat is still beta software. If you have an established method of doing things, don't throw it out just because Bobcat has been released.

The only one I have used extensively is MacGPS Pro. It works very well for saving and transferring tracks and waypoints. You can load and use maps on your computer for creating and editing waypoints--Topo maps are available for purchase, and maps can be downloaded from various sources.

Also note that there's even a way to take advantage of downloaded maps that aren't already calibrated to geographic coordinates. Just this weekend, I took advantage of the ability of MacGPS Pro to calibrate any map.

I had a JPEG file of a commercial area that had dots indicating some benchmarks that are in the NGS database, plus some dots for ones that the property owner had placed. I brought the JPEG file into MacGPS Pro, used coordinates from four of the known survey marks to calibrate the map, then clicked on the locations of the unknown dots to derive coordinates for them. Some friends of mine went out yesterday and found a few of those marks! (One of them also had access to coordinates that he had derived mathematically, so I don't know whether he needed mine. The other guy was working purely off of my coordinates.)

This means that if you ever need coordinates for a specific point in a local park or other area and you can't find a calibrated map for that area, as long as you can enter a few known points into MacGPS Pro, you can create your own calibrated map. Very nifty!

Also, Andy, thank you very much for that summary of Mac GPS and geocaching software.

Patty

Thanks for your replies. I too have a lot of GPS and GIS software including MacGPS Pro, which is excellent. I also use GPSBabel+ regularly as well.

However, I was specifically wondering about the new batch of Garmin applications, and what they all do. It's a bit confusing whether you need them all, or if Bobcat has superseded some of them.

Thanks for your replies. I too have a lot of GPS and GIS software including MacGPS Pro, which is excellent. I also use GPSBabel+ regularly as well.

However, I was specifically wondering about the new batch of Garmin applications, and what they all do. It's a bit confusing whether you need them all, or if Bobcat has superseded some of them.

Sorry. I misunderstood your original post--obviously I did not read what you wrote, since you stated your question quite clearly as I read it now. I was thinking in terms of software to be used with Garmin receivers, as opposed to software released by Garmin.

I am also curious about this. I have the Garmin Software downloaded, but have not tried to install maps, as I have none to install. I played a bit with a Garmin-compatible map of snowmobile trails, but have not tried to load it. I have no snowmobile, so I have no need for it. I did note that after running the map converter program in Windows, Bobcat sees it, but if I select it, it causes Bobcat to crash. I don't know if this is a Bobcat problem, or a problem with the mapset.

I just pre-ordered CN, so I will be looking forward to finding the answer when it ships.

Sorry. I misunderstood your original post--obviously I did not read what you wrote, since you stated your question quite clearly as I read it now. I was thinking in terms of software to be used with Garmin receivers, as opposed to software released by Garmin.

I am also curious about this. I have the Garmin Software downloaded, but have not tried to install maps, as I have none to install. I played a bit with a Garmin-compatible map of snowmobile trails, but have not tried to load it. I have no snowmobile, so I have no need for it. I did note that after running the map converter program in Windows, Bobcat sees it, but if I select it, it causes Bobcat to crash. I don't know if this is a Bobcat problem, or a problem with the mapset.

I just pre-ordered CN, so I will be looking forward to finding the answer when it ships.

No, problem. I haven't bought any maps as yet either. I just got a 60Cx, and so far I like it. Even with the base maps it is better than my old non-mapping 12XL.

I did use one piece of Garmin software, however.

WebUpdater did a fine job in upgrading both the firmware and the chip set. Smooth upgrade with no problems... The machine was an ebay overstock-type unit. It had very old software on it.

BTW, is there a way to see a status or ID screen with the firmware version on the 60 series? I can't seem to find one.

Parsa

Here's a (mildly not so quick) fix for us Mac users who use Garmin Maps, in my case CitySelect North America v7, and don't want to shell out the $140 for the new v8 Mac-compatible maps yet.

Go here for detailed instructions: http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/applemac/index.html

It involves converting your maps on a PC, then dragging them on to your Mac, and using MapInstaller and MapManager to install them onto your hard drive. I just went through the process, and everything worked fine. The interface is a bit lunkier than the PC version, but it works. There's also a beta version of Garmin Bobcat, which looks more interface-friendly, but I haven't tried to get it to recognize my maps yet.

(btw, I'm uploading maps segments into my 60CS and MacCaching to download waypoints to the GPSr.)

Here's a (mildly not so quick) fix for us Mac users who use Garmin Maps, in my case CitySelect North America v7, and don't want to shell out the $140 for the new v8 Mac-compatible maps yet.

Go here for detailed instructions: http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/applemac/index.html

That's exactly what I would do if I already owned Garmin maps. I did manage to hold off on City Navigator, and just pre-ordered the Mac version. FWIW, you don't have to spend *quite* $140. The order from gpscity.com (see link above) comes out to a bit under $120 with ground shipping.

So If I have a colorado 400t and it already has the topo maps on it that I want to use do I just need Bobcat to get my way points to and from the 400t and my computer?

If you just need to do waypoint transfer, you can use Bobcat, or one of the other freeware programs linked above.

So If I have a colorado 400t and it already has the topo maps on it that I want to use do I just need Bobcat to get my way points to and from the 400t and my computer?

If you just need to do waypoint transfer, you can use Bobcat, or one of the other freeware programs linked above.

Now comes the problem. I like to view tracks that my unit kept on off road adventures on my computer. Also, I like to make routes sometimes to follow off road. So in order to do this I will probably have to use my PC with my old mapsource TOPO software? Also, does anyone know if the colorado usb works with Virtual PC. I currently use Virtual PC and my etrex legend with a usb/serial adaptor from iogear and work in mapsource topo just fine. I prefer this method over dragging my dell laptop home from work everytime I want to do something with my GPS. I have a G4 and G5 so running windows natively is out of the question. VPC runs pretty clean for me though.

Sweet, finally the Mac version. So help me out here. I think it has been discussed but its 0530 and I have to go to bed. What size micro SD card do I need to fit this map software and also the northwest topo map? Will a 2 Gig do it or should I go for the 4? I thought I read somewhere that my 60CSX wont/cant utilize all of the 4 Gig. Opinions please. Thx

I like to view tracks that my unit kept on off road adventures on my computer. Also, I like to make routes sometimes to follow off road. So in order to do this I will probably have to use my PC with my old mapsource TOPO software?

If you have to use Mapsource, then yeah, I think you're stuck with the PC.

But you could also get your own topo maps (e.g. from the Michigan Geographic Data Library) and use them with Mac software. I use MacGPS Pro, but there may be other programs that work with digital raster graphics (DRG) or other topo map formats.

A while back, I brought a track log into MacGPS Pro and overlaid it onto a topo map of Yosemite to show someone how he could use a GPS receiver to map out an old trail.

Patty

Now comes the problem. I like to view tracks that my unit kept on off road adventures on my computer. Also, I like to make routes sometimes to follow off road. So in order to do this I will probably have to use my PC with my old mapsource TOPO software? Also, does anyone know if the colorado usb works with Virtual PC. I currently use Virtual PC and my etrex legend with a usb/serial adaptor from iogear and work in mapsource topo just fine. I prefer this method over dragging my dell laptop home from work everytime I want to do something with my GPS. I have a G4 and G5 so running windows natively is out of the question. VPC runs pretty clean for me though.

Seeing that you have VPC on your Macintosh, just install Garmin's MapConverter and convert your old TOPO's to a Macintosh format and use Garmin's Bobcat with your Colorado for the tracks etc. Instructions are here in a .PDF

Seeing that you have VPC on your Macintosh, just install Garmin's MapConverter and convert your old TOPO's to a Macintosh format and use Garmin's Bobcat with your Colorado for the tracks etc. Instructions are here in a .PDF

Is the map just an image file of some sort? You really have no mapsource functionality?

Is the map just an image file of some sort? You really have no mapsource functionality?

In and of it's self, the map is just the map. You need to follow thew directions in that .PDF and use Bobcat and/or MapInstall to get the functionality of MapSource. Bobcat will display your maps and transfer your waypoints and tracks and routes into your computer or GPSr. MapInstall will display and transfer your maps to your GPSr.

Edited by coggins

In and of it's self, the map is just the map. You need to follow thew directions in that .PDF and use Bobcat and/or MapInstall to get the functionality of MapSource. Bobcat will display your maps and transfer your waypoints and tracks and routes into your computer or GPSr. MapInstall will display and transfer your maps to your GPSr.

Well so far I have been able to write view and save tracks on the computer and save them back and forth with Bobcat. It actually has more functionality and a base map than I was expecting.

Here is an updated list of available Mac software:

Simple Waypoint Transfer:

GPSBabel

Mac SimpleGPS

LoadMyTracks

iGPS

Geocache Managers:

MacCaching

GeoJournal

Commercial Programs:

MacGPS Pro

GPSy

iGPS*

Garmin Bobcat (Mapquest type) for Mac:

Bobcat Current Beta Release

*iGPS will provide transferring for waypoints and routes. A $19.95 registration adds functionality.

City Navigator Mac is (or will soon be) available. It can be pre-ordered from gpscity.com. Their web site still lists it as pre-ordering, but it has been reported to be in stock. It may be that they are catching up on a backlog of pre-orders.

Yes, I bought city Nav NT 2008 for Mac and it views in Bobcat.

I see that this software is now called Road Trip (formerly Bobcat).

Do you need to have unlocked maps to use it? I have City Navigator, but I only have it on microSD card.

Thanks

It works with locked and unlocked maps that have been converted.

I converted my city navigator maps, but they were on the computer first. They were not delivered on a microSD.

Yes, I bought city Nav NT 2008 for Mac and it views in Bobcat.

I see that this software is now called Road Trip (formerly Bobcat).

Do you need to have unlocked maps to use it? I have City Navigator, but I only have it on microSD card.

Thanks

I don't think you will be able to use the file off of a pre-programmed datacard.

I noticed that a lot of the software discussed here is made for Garmin GPSr. I have a Delorme PN-40 and a MacBook. Is there a recommended software to transfer GPX files to my Delorme? If this hasn't been brought up in the Forums yet, do I need something or can I do it directly?

Thanks!

I wish to thank everyone for the wealth of great information that y'all have posted on the subject of using a MacBook to connect with Garmin receivers! This is fantastic!

I am new to GeoCaching. My family and I found 14 caches with my car's Magellan Maestro 4350. I recently purchased two used Garmin RINO 110 receivers from a Marine who got little use from them because he decided he still preferred a map and compass. Today, I just received a serial interface cable in the mail.

I felt completely lost about what I might do and how to do it. I could (and will) spend the next several days reading just from this one thread.

I still need a little bit of information from anyone who is willing to help.

1. How do I use the serial cable since the Mac has no serial port?

2. I plan to travel out of country later this year or next year. Is there anything I should know about international travel?

Again, Thanks!

I wish to thank everyone for the wealth of great information that y'all have posted on the subject of using a MacBook to connect with Garmin receivers! This is fantastic!

I am new to GeoCaching. My family and I found 14 caches with my car's Magellan Maestro 4350. I recently purchased two used Garmin RINO 110 receivers from a Marine who got little use from them because he decided he still preferred a map and compass. Today, I just received a serial interface cable in the mail.

I felt completely lost about what I might do and how to do it. I could (and will) spend the next several days reading just from this one thread.

I still need a little bit of information from anyone who is willing to help.

1. How do I use the serial cable since the Mac has no serial port?

2. I plan to travel out of country later this year or next year. Is there anything I should know about international travel?

Again, Thanks!

you can get a USB serial port interface from Keyspan.

That's what I have.

Your rhino doesn't have USB Inteface on it?

Right, this RINO has a 4 pin serial port. I have read that other nicer models have a USB.

Okay, USB to Serial adapter. Before I spend more money, I decided to borrow one from a co-worker. It is a TrendNet TU-S9. I understand that this is not the same one you referenced, but the software seemed to install fine and it has created a "USB-Se...oller D" item in the System Preferences|Network window.

Now I need some advice to set up the serial connection. It looks like old phone modem settings because there are fields it wants me to fill in. Configuration, Telephone Number, Account Name, Password, a "Connect" button, an "Advanced" button. This also reminds me of setting up a HyperTerm/TeraTerm connection on a Windows computer, but I'm not familiar with the Mac settings.

Also, I noticed there are several "Interface" settings in the RINO. When I go to Main Menu|Setup|Interface, there is a setting called "Serial Data Format." Choices include Garmin, Garmin DGPS, NMEA In/NMEA Out, Text Out, RTCM In, RTCM In/NMEA Out, RTCM In/Text Out, and None. I have no clue what any of these mean

Right, this RINO has a 4 pin serial port. I have read that other nicer models have a USB.

Okay, USB to Serial adapter. Before I spend more money, I decided to borrow one from a co-worker. It is a TrendNet TU-S9. I understand that this is not the same one you referenced, but the software seemed to install fine and it has created a "USB-Se...oller D" item in the System Preferences|Network window.

Now I need some advice to set up the serial connection. It looks like old phone modem settings because there are fields it wants me to fill in. Configuration, Telephone Number, Account Name, Password, a "Connect" button, an "Advanced" button. This also reminds me of setting up a HyperTerm/TeraTerm connection on a Windows computer, but I'm not familiar with the Mac settings.

Also, I noticed there are several "Interface" settings in the RINO. When I go to Main Menu|Setup|Interface, there is a setting called "Serial Data Format." Choices include Garmin, Garmin DGPS, NMEA In/NMEA Out, Text Out, RTCM In, RTCM In/NMEA Out, RTCM In/Text Out, and None. I have no clue what any of these mean

I didnt have to modify any of the settings. These are GPS settings NMEA, RTCM, etc. Sorry but Ive never mucked with them.

What program are you trying to use first off.

Second, I know the 4 pin connector you are referencing. My Garmin has this in addition to the USB.

Problem, I lost my GPS 60CSX last week.

Do you have the Garmin 4pin to 'standard' 9 pin serial connector cable?

First: Sorry for being such a tadpole and asking pesky questions.

Second: I have experimented with two different Serial/USB cables and finally bought the Keyspan USA-19HS. Truly, Serial/USB converters are not created equal and the Keyspan did the job for connecting to my Mac natively. So far I am using the Beta of GPSBabel 1.3.7. I like it better than 1.3.6.

Interestingly, when I plug in the Keyspan, I get a window that says, "A new network interface has been detected. The Keyspan USA-19H network interface has not been set up. To set up this interface, use Network Preferences." I was getting hung up on the idea that I had something to "Setup." Finally, I just clicked Cancel and opened GPSBabel and it worked to my surprise. Yea!

Third: After I get the tracks out of my RINO and into a GPX file, I have enjoyed using Garmin's BaseCamp for Mac. I even geotagged some photos which is why I started this in the first place. I never could find "Bobcat" so I don't know what I'm missing out on.

Kevin

What software works best with a Mac Snow leopard OSX and Garmin GPSmap 60csx to load caches onto an external memory card? I'm trying to get around the 1,000 cache waypoint limit on the internal memory. I understand you need to make a custom POI... but I couldn't figure how that would work. I looked at the GPS Babel website and it was Greek to me. I'm not a techie. I just need a few steps and a point in the right software direction. Thanks.

What software works best with a Mac Snow leopard OSX and Garmin GPSmap 60csx to load caches onto an external memory card? I'm trying to get around the 1,000 cache waypoint limit on the internal memory. I understand you need to make a custom POI... but I couldn't figure how that would work. I looked at the GPS Babel website and it was Greek to me. I'm not a techie. I just need a few steps and a point in the right software direction. Thanks.

You just need to use Garmin POI loader. It allows you to load any GPX file as POIs to your Garmin GPS or to a memory card. Hope this helps. :)

You just need to use Garmin POI loader. It allows you to load any GPX file as POIs to your Garmin GPS or to a memory card. Hope this helps. :)

Thanks, Mako-Shark, I'll give it a try.

OK, tried it and it seems to work pretty seamlessly with the Mac. Finding documentation on how to load POI files onto the GPS was a bit more difficult. C'mon, Garmin, you can do better than that! I finally found a third-party site called POI Factory that explained it plain and simply.

Thanks.

OK, tried it and it seems to work pretty seamlessly with the Mac. Finding documentation on how to load POI files onto the GPS was a bit more difficult. C'mon, Garmin, you can do better than that! I finally found a third-party site called POI Factory that explained it plain and simply.

Thanks.

Glad I could help :)