General Colorado Help

I have a silly question (I hope) and can't find it in the manual.

OK: take a standard eTrex series. You mark a waypoint, edit it. Then you click on "Go To". It gives you an arrow and you follow it and arrive at said waypoint!

Now, how on earth do you do this with a colorado?

I can mark the waypoint easy enough. But trying to navigate to it?

I can navigate to caches no problems. We were doing some nice easy trads today just to work out what was going on (took a while to work out to turn the compass off). No problems if the coords are spot on.

As I was reading one of the logs someone said "Oh, coords are miles out. Try these......"

This is where the fun and games started. I can't wait to try a multi!!!

Also, we have 2 units. One, when you click on "Mark" and then "Edit" shows you the local E/W and N/S coords. The other simply gives you E -:--.--- S-:--.---

We thought they were set up the same (may need a hard reset).

That's it! We seem to be working fine with the GPX files (except when you download them directly and add them onto the existing list, but I'm working on that). Have just downloaded the 2.40 firmware because that fixes two of the gripes I had.

Lastly, anyone know yet how to put custom POIs on it? or will the mapfix fix this anyway?

Cheers for reading this!

Stu

To mark a waypoint, press and hold the middle button (wheel button) for some seconds.

Thanks to Baumer for the above. I'm having a play with some rather large maps at the moment so can't try his suggestion out.

I'm aware of the holding thingy. That's a good feature. I don't have a problem "marking" so much, it's trying to navigate to the mark. I can't get, for instance, the compass screen that I have with "Geocaching"

Lastly, anyone know yet how to put custom POIs on it? or will the mapfix fix this anyway?

Sure, you just use PoiLoader, just like you would with a 60CSx. I used the GSAK macro to generate the different POI types.

Of course, since the only reason I was doing that was to get the icons, I've deleted all my POIs now. But it works great. I plan on using POIs for waymarks when those start to be included in pocket queries.

--Marky

I have a silly question (I hope) and can't find it in the manual.

OK: take a standard eTrex series. You mark a waypoint, edit it. Then you click on "Go To". It gives you an arrow and you follow it and arrive at said waypoint!

I can navigate to caches no problems. We were doing some nice easy trads today just to work out what was going on (took a while to work out to turn the compass off). No problems if the coords are spot on.

As I was reading one of the logs someone said "Oh, coords are miles out. Try these......"

This is where the fun and games started. I can't wait to try a multi!!!

Also, we have 2 units. One, when you click on "Mark" and then "Edit" shows you the local E/W and N/S coords. The other simply gives you E -:--.--- S-:--.---

We thought they were set up the same (may need a hard reset).

That's it! We seem to be working fine with the GPX files (except when you download them directly and add them onto the existing list, but I'm working on that). Have just downloaded the 2.40 firmware because that fixes two of the gripes I had.

Cheers for reading this!

Stu

I have asked a similar question on another thread. The example I use is that I will solve a puzzle and now need to input the solution into the Colorado. I have done this as a waypoint and try to navigate to the said waypoint. I drive to it fine but once I am close I want to switch from autoroute to bearing, or follow road to off road if you will. There is nothing that I have found to switch from one to the other like is available for geocaches. What am I missing?

Here is what I do:

Change two of the items on the compass page to show the current GPS position and the GPS error. Use the map page to get you close, then switch to the compass. Compare the GPS position with the cache position you have written down. Move either north / south or east / west until one of the numbers agrees. Then move in one of the intersecting directions until the numbers agree. This method worked will on my cheapy GPS with poor mapping.

Alternately, you can change the two items at the bottom of the mapping page to GPS position and GPS error as well. This might work better as the compass seems to rotate the map so it agrees with the way you are facing.

Just re-read your post and it looks like I missed what you were saying.

I think you can change some of the settings in each profile to match what features you want -- ie not locking onto a road, etc... You can also delete some menu items you don't need for that mode, like the game, etc...

I have asked a similar question on another thread. The example I use is that I will solve a puzzle and now need to input the solution into the Colorado. I have done this as a waypoint and try to navigate to the said waypoint. I drive to it fine but once I am close I want to switch from autoroute to bearing, or follow road to off road if you will. There is nothing that I have found to switch from one to the other like is available for geocaches. What am I missing?

That's EXACTLY what I mean. I can't find out how to do it either. There's probably something we're missing here......

Forgive me if this doesn't make sense, but I really don't understand your question. I'll hazard a guess that might point you in the right direction though...

I think the problem you *might* be having is with profiles. The Colorado acts totally differently depending on what "profile" you're using. If you're in "Automotive" mode, it defaults to trying to route on roads and it doesn't give you some of the options you might be looking for.

Try making sure you're in "Geocaching" or "Recreation" mode (in the menus, that's normally under "Others - Profile" or something similar). Once there, you can see the other screens you might need on the main menu or the "Others" toolbox-looking menu. My guess is that you're just not seeing some of the screens you need because you're in the wrong profile or you haven't dug through the "Other" menu.

Again, I'm kind of guessing, but I hope that helps a bit. Sorry if some of my menu descriptions are a tad "off", I don't have my Colorado with me right now.

That's EXACTLY what I mean. I can't find out how to do it either. There's probably something we're missing here......

I just got off the phone with Garmin tech support regarding this issue. They were able to see the problem as described and did not have a fix for it. They have reported the issue to the engineers to see if it was missed or a bug or what the problem may be. Could this thread be moved to the FAQ and issues thread so that this issue gets added to the wiki site as an issue.