Signing the LOG

fraggle69

Ok, so I've been playing this game a wee while now. I am starting to see a lot of new cachers out in force with their TFTC 'stamps'. I don't have a problem with them, but I've noticed some logs don't have the date on them, just a massive fat stamp.

What's the desired format for a log sign? I mean I always put the date and signed the log, I know other more accurate cachers often put the time as well as the date!!

Does it say in the rules somewhere you 'must' put in a date on the log?

Discuss....

What's the desired format for a log sign? I mean I always put the date and signed the log, I know other more accurate cachers often put the time as well as the date!!

Does it say in the rules somewhere you 'must' put in a date on the log?

Discuss....

I must admit that I do not tend to write reams in the log. However, I do date my entry and try to log anything memorable such as the weather, or that I have fallen over, just the usual. :anicute::D

ayepee

We have a stamp but only one that has text. Our name, a T4TC and 2 forward slashes to allow the date to be filled in are all thats included and sized to fit a film can log book.

Our stamp came about following a "good idea" by John Stead who remarked that less damage is done to a damp log with a stamp.

I like the unusual stamps that people have made though, Bolas Heathens and The Mars Bars spring to mind on that one but (pet hate time) I HATE stickers.

They have a place but IMHO that isn't on a cache log. By all means leave calling cards in a cache but stickers can affect a log immensely, especially micros. I've even come across a sticker that sealed the rolled up micro log in a roll!

Edited by Carlos & The Birdie Crew

We have a stamp but only one that has text. Our name, a T4TC and 2 forward slashes to allow the date to be filled in are all thats included and sized to fit a film can log book.

Our stamp came about following a "good idea" by John Stead who remarked that less damage is done to a damp log with a stamp.

I like the unusual stamps that people have made though, Bolas Heathens and The Mars Bars spring to mind on that one but (pet hate time) I HATE stickers.

They have a place but IMHO that isn't on a cache log. By all means leave calling cards in a cache but stickers can affect a log immensely, especially micros. I've even come across a sticker that sealed the rolled up micro log in a roll!

Oh dear, we use stickers :anicute: I have to say I didn't think about them sticking up the log book or causing any damage. We do write on the log, date, comment etc. as well as leaving a sticker but maybe we should look into getting a stamp instead.

Nano/micro/film tubs get:

Date and KandG

(Hate stickers in these, they take up a lot of room and make it difficult to fit the log back in!) :D

Otherwise:

Date

A comment on the view/walk to the cache/comment about the hide/something we've seen on the way and worth looking out for, and Time -if its a FTF/new cache or a series, something for others to comparetheir times with.

And if we swap items or leave/take TB's or coins.

But a lot depends on if it's me (G) or K writing the log! :anicute:

Edited by KandG

I use a sticker (when we remember to take them :anicute: ) but only use one when the log book page is a suitable size. Then I add the date and the time, because sometimes if a cache is visited more than once in a day it's interesting to see what time the previous cacher was there. Then a couple of brief lines, if there's enough space - our on-line logs are more detailed. I wouldn't consider putting a sticker onto a micro log strip.

Personal stamps can be very atractive but, like stickers, they need to be used with care. I've seen plenty of logs where the book has been closed before the ink has dried and it's smudged the next page, or if the paper's thin, the ink bleeds through onto the next page.

As for Calling Cards, they're OK but I feel they're rather unnecessary if the log's been signed.

But then - Hey ho! - Variety is good!

As usual, just a little common sense is required. :D

MrsB

Oh ,er! We usually leave a sticker (no complaints yet) if the log page is large enough, better keep away from the NW :D:anicute:

Surely its common sense what to add to a log, we only put the date and L8HNB in micros, no stickers there, of course.

For “normal” sized logbooks we always put the time and date, mainly 'cause on the FTF chase its nice to know what time we've been beaten by! This is then usually followed by the sticker and then we usually write about what we've seen, the weather, whatever, just to personalise it a little.

We know a local cacher who often tours his (many) caches to check them, and read the logs, who gets very frustrated with the TNLN TFTC XXX type logs.

As H writes most of the logs on the web page he tends to waffle a bit there............

Pet hate: Logs where the back of a page has not been filled in – use both sides, don't waste paper!

Nano - Initials and date - using minimum space

Micro - Initials or full name and date (dependant on size) - using minimum space

Logbook - small note about cache/area, if i dropped a TB, name, date. (unless raining or fingers frozen, then its back to the prevailing rain so I dont get the cache wet, and a quick date and sign so I can close the box). If there is a half used page, I continue under it, saving paper.

I used to leave a calling card, but realise now that they are something else just to fall out the box/get blown away. Stickers end up getting scrunched and stuck inside your caching bag/pocket if your not careful, before they even reach the log they are folded and crumpled and if not stuck down properly attatch themselves to the next page or seal up the micro roll.

I thought ink stamps/stickers were originally produced for letterbox caches? - then it is interesting to go through the pages looking at peoples different designs.

If its windy I have a habit of putting the stashnote, spare pencil, bag etc in my pocket for safety - using my own pen - haven't checked my pockets lately! - so apologies in advance to anybody who has had to replace the pencil. (Note to self, attach stash note to logbook).

Edited by perth pathfinders

We usually do Date, A little bit about the hunt or view or surroundings and Signature. Sometimes the Minicacher adds her name and a little picture.

Our on-line logs tend to be a little less rushed and more informative, though our DNF logs are generally longer than our found logs :D Not that there's many of them...

Some logs are shorter than others, usually related to muggle activity, weather or state of the log book, or whether the car parking ticket is due to expire soon - we live in the lakes so pretty much every car park charges, usually extortionate prices. ;)

Sticker and a few details, date/time/ Took/Left/TFTC usually, but being quite sensible we do not stick a label in a micro if it has a small log roll, some of the larger ones we do, lengthways of course! Date and time I feel should be the only requirement if rules were to be set and the team name of course! No more rules though it's a fun pastime and hobby for most. ;):D

A micro or nano gets a 'TBH' or 'The Bolas Heathens' (if we can fit it in) and a date.

For a larger logbook, we stamp it and write a date and who found the cache (just me or me and Isaac etc) along with a note of TB's / coins in/out of the cache. We don't usually write much else as we prefer to save the proper log for the website.

We never cut and paste logs online as we figure if someone has gone to the trouble of setting the cache then the least they deserve is a nice log that someone has taken some time to do. You can usually tell how much we enjoyed a cache by the length of our online logs (although not always as we sometimes write longer logs for caches we've not enjoyed so much if something interesting has happened along the way etc etc).

We never cut and paste logs online as we figure if someone has gone to the trouble of setting the cache then the least they deserve is a nice log that someone has taken some time to do.

Couldn't agree more!

Our logging sessions can take a several hours (and quite a few glasses of wine :D ) in the evening when we get home.

We normally use a sticker with the date+time if suitable for the size of the logbook.

We mention trackables in-out and swaps in the logbook but usually only mention trackables on the website

If it's a micro log then we just write name and date as a minimum.

With regards to stickers, we did a new series last weekend and decided to go 'the wrong way' round to see if we would meet other cachers. We did, and two sets of cachers recogised us by our Labradors! (who feature on the stickers). ;)

Edited by Delta68

I go to all the bother of buying proper write in the rain paper and folks come and put a sticker or a stamp on it.... sheesh :D

Only kidding, ;) I'm happy with whatever, the stickers sometimes come unstuck or stick pages together, the stamps sometimes bleed through, but hey, some folks write in glitter pens or half inch wide board markers, so whatever... It all makes for an interesting experience looking back through the log book! I'm just happy to have folks visit my caches!

Personally I always log with a date & time as often when a cache is visited more than once in a day it's cool to see how far behind the previous cachers I am if they have done the same.

Jon

I usually only put the minimum of details in the log, but I do include the date and time, especially if it's a FTF. My reasoning being that I want to get it done and re-hidden before a muggle appears. Then I've got the journey back to think of something interesting to log on the website.

I don't like stickers either. One reason being it makes the log pages thicker and difficult to find the next blank page. (A bit like those awful cardboard page adverts in magazines which prevent you finding the page you want!)

I have also seen some atrocious examples on stamp ink obliterating previous logs, so I would never use one of those. What's wrong with using a pen anyway?

Sign and date it ; weather if its memorable(like its humping it down ,in the dark [thank god for led torches], and the ammo box is almost in a ditch) :D

swaps or not

Calling cards are probaly better if they are laminated; they tend to last longer :D

easy to do on computer and A3 laminate pockets give plenty in 1 go :D

and when I do place my first cache I hope that folks do leave calling cards (it `s personalises the experience ) ;)

Sign and date it ; weather if its memorable(like its humping it down ,in the dark [thank god for led torches], and the ammo box is almost in a ditch) :lol:

swaps or not

Calling cards are probaly better if they are laminated; they tend to last longer :)

easy to do on computer and A3 laminate pockets give plenty in 1 go :)

and when I do place my first cache I hope that folks do leave calling cards (it `s personalises the experience ) :unsure:

;) Yep name and date and what you did, if it's damp the stamp bleeches out through the log! :)

On a full-size logbook, I use our stamp, and date, and what I've left (and sometimes taken).

On a micro, drsolly and date. Sometimes use the stamp, depends on the space available.

On a nano, drs and date.

I rarely write more than a couple of words in the logbook. My theory is that a lot more people read the online logs than the book, so I keep my strength for a good online log.

If we've done a lot that day, and/or if a cache isn't memorable, then it get s minimum log. But if the cache was memorable, or if something significant happened while we were doing it, then I pen a long essay. For some caches, this gets so long that geocaching.com won't allow it, and I have to post it as a note plus a found. Some multistage caches we do over a period of some days, and I'll usually post "progress reports" as we go.

After this thread yesterday I ditched our stickers and designed a self inking stamp. Ordered it early afternoon, had an email to say it was dispatched and even though I chose the free second class delivery it came this morning! I left a gap on it for the date and we always write extra details on the log then make a note so that I can make sure I do a decent log entry when we come home

I always put the date, some comments (weather, interesting things etc) and my name, plus I leave a laminated calling card.

For micros etc I just write the Date, Chalky723 & TFTC, I then put more details in the online log.

I always think that if someone has gone to the trouble of putting a cache out the least I can do is put a decent entry (space permitting). I like leaving a calling card as its a personal touch, some people like them & I tend not to take or leave anything nowadays unless theres a particularly shiny piece of swag I fancy :rolleyes: (always carry a "leaver" just in case).

Chalky

Hi

I have come to this thread late and it makes interesting reading. I am posting to defend the use of stickers! I tend to leave a sticker and then add the date and few words about the weather, location or other notably fact at the time or writing. I have considered a stamp but as per a previous poster I have seen logs where the ink has run and made a real mess. Stickers not only prevent this but add colour and interest. I have never come across a log where the use of stickers has presented a problem - but then I have not found as many caches as some of the more experienced posters.

Whilst on etiquette, what really dissapoints :rolleyes: me is when folk leave the cr4p from christmas crackers or other junk they happen to have in their pockets. My understand is that the term is Gladware. My better half, who is not a real Geocacher but caches vicariously through me , has designed and ordered a whole load of geocaching related fridge magnets for me to leave at a cache.

Lets not argue about stickers/stamps etc but try and get all cachers to leave a meaningful log entry and and stop depositing Gladware :ph34r:

Nano - name and date

Micro - name and date

Logbook - name & date + comment on hide/weather, swaps in/out, TB's In/out and I generally leave a calling card. I used to laminate them but dont bother now. I was considering a stamp but will watch this thread with interest as to others views.

I tend to write more on the Web log. More time to reflect on the adventure or not.

:)

Nano - name and date

Nano - Initials and date (possibly) please.

The only reason being is that I had a couple of nano's out on my latest series. After a week, the log needed replacing! My fault, I should have asked on the page.

When "Team Hello We Have The Longest Name In The World With Bells And Whistles And A Cherry On The Top" logged it at 11:32 am on the 24th February in the year of our Lord 2008, it tends to fill the log book up!!!

Stu

Nano - name and date

Micro - name and date

On a nano I just sign CK to save space.

Micro - name and date added.

Regular - name or stamp and date added.

slightly off topic................

I am amazed how many cachers log a find with "did not bring pen to sign log."...surely you need to prove you have actually found the cache,and signing the log is the best way.Carry a pen at all times!!!

Twice I have not signed a nano as the weather was so bad the logsheet would have got drenched.

I have a stamp but rarely use it as yes I do think the date should be included in the log entry.

Seems pointless stamping the log and then writing the date in ink.

Now if I had a stamp with a date facility on it things might be different....

:laughing:

I saw a stamp last week that had a date facility on it as well, and wasn't too big either. Can't remeber who's it was though...

Fraser, I think having read as many repeated logs above as possible that there is NO set standard. So long as you've left your identifiable mark in the log book so that if asked you can point to it and say "THATS ME". The rest is handy, helpful, interesting, but, I would say NOT mandatory.

Now if I had a stamp with a date facility on it things might be different....

:D

I use one which I bought at LIDL for about £2.99 on which you can set up 4 or 5 lines of text on a letraset type of pad. I update the month and only have to write in the date and time. I believe too that the ink is waterproof. :lol:

I love seeing the different stamps and stickers and other scribblings in my full sized log books (and discovered I knew a fellow cacher's daughter through one of them!!) I've just made my first set of calling cards, which I like getting in my caches too, so by such logic, assume some other cache owners do too!

I had a really nice email today from a cache owner, congratulating me on my first FTF, and on my "nice log notes"- glad to know my longer postings are appreciated, because I get very excited about logging my finds, as I've never had one without some sort of enjoyable, random or notable hunt!

In terms of logging, I will leave name, date, time and other thoughts and thanks where there is room, but obviously just a name and date on mirco and nano caches!

:laughing: < this is my general demeanor today after my morning's caching expedition!