Trackables? Get moved or snatched by the Coin Fairy

TeamBaitBucket

Just a quick question,

What is the general consensus on track-able items?

After they have been placed, do they get moved around and see the world, do you find that they just stay in one main geographic area. Or do they vanish in the hands of the Geo-coin fairy.

With that question in mind, would there be a is the goon-missing stats between TB (dog tag style) and Coin style items?

Would anyone know of a way to report out on the track-ables registered with the site, think of it as a sounding board as to the number of items still in the rotation, the oldest living, the longest traveled, and so on.

Just a quick question,

What is the general consensus on track-able items?

After they have been placed, do they get moved around and see the world, do you find that they just stay in one main geographic area. Or do they vanish in the hands of the Geo-coin fairy.

With that question in mind, would there be a is the goon-missing stats between TB (dog tag style) and Coin style items?

Would anyone know of a way to report out on the track-ables registered with the site, think of it as a sounding board as to the number of items still in the rotation, the oldest living, the longest traveled, and so on.

I picked up a TB in a cache yesterday that's been around since 2004, it started in Washington State and is now in Florida. :anicute: Would be neat to see stats on them all - probably some info in the TB Forum.

oh no no no the geocoin fairy is a wonderful thoughtful giving little fairy. The geocoin fairy would never steal a coin :rolleyes:

Sometimes they go missing. Tagging them (for those who dont know they arent swag) and defacing them (for those who know and don't care) helps them stay in circulation but sometimes things happen.

I got really upset about it at first when I just had a couple out there, but I don't watch them so much anymore. It's nice to read the logs when they do move. I'll keep activating coins and bugs, they're fairly cheap.

My stats: I've released 20 TBs/geocoins (my sister bought me 4 geocoins for Christmas!)

5 have been marked as missing

2 are reported as not in the cache - Hey Drooling Mongoloid, If you get the chance, check the log for Lily-1 and see if anyone admits taking my Uncle Jon coin...

1 is being held by an active cacher (for over a year)

1 was picked up by a cacher who cached for a year, and picked up my coin on his last caching trip.

The other 11 seem to be active: 2 in New Jersey, 1 in New Mexico, 1 in Washington, 1 in Maryland, 1 in Arizona (headed for Wyoming), 1 in New York. The foreign travellers are in Nova Scotia, Belgium, Denmark and France.

The one in Belgium disappeared from a cache in Pennsylania, and was found a month later in a cache in Spain. Some people do not log their cache finds, nor their TB movements. Oh, well.

So, I'm at a 45% missing/lost/stolen rate. So, don't get too emotionally attached.

If an active cacher has held on to a TB for a reasonbly long amount of time, is it acceptable to contact them through the site and ask them why they havnt moved it on?

A reasonably long amount of time? No such thing. An unreasonably long amount of time? Yes.

Seriously though I recommend waiting at least three months, some say two. While the recommended hold time is two weeks you really don't need to be spending all your time pushing people to move your bug. You'll be doing after nearly every pick-up if you do.

When you do contact someone be very friendly about it. I'll usually say something like, Howdy! I know that sometimes life gets in the way of caching, do you think you'll be able to place my bug soon? Getting any response is a good sign, even if they tell you it's going to be a while. I had one guy from Missouri tell me he was working a job in Canada and it was going to be about a year before he could get home to grab the bug and place it. He did though. Of course the very next finder has also been holding it for a year. That guy never responds. :unsure:

My second contact a couple months later I'll usually offer to pay for postage to take it off their hands. Twice I've had people take the offer.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I've got hundreds of travers out there, most of which are geocoins.

My general observations:

Most move fairly quickly - once a month or so.

About 10-15% disappear each year

A few mysteriously reappear after they are marked missing

My geocoin loss rate is lower than my TB loss rate

Some move quickly, some move painfully slowly

I've released some valuable geocoins (as defined by sales price on ebay) and they move as well as any other geocoin.

Most common losses appear to be geocache muggleing and noobie cachers who apparently quit caching after picking up my TB

As a guess, at any given time, about 1/4 - 1/3 are in caches and the rest are in the hands of geocachers

I love travel bugs. :P Yes, I had to learn not to get emotionally attracted to them. :laughing: I tend to personify them and create stories for them. (one of these years I may decided what I'm going to be when I grow up) The best solution to this is have a lot of them and start a new one when one goes AWOL.

I a bit over five years I have launched 36 TBs and 5 coins (a modest number - lots of people have more). !7 TBs and one coin have gone missing and a couple others are probably in trouble at the moment. ;)

But collectively my trackables have visited 49 states plus the District of Columbia (Can't get anybody to ND) and have reached 9 countries other than USA. One has logged over 30,000 miles, 3 over 20,000 and 4 0ver 10,000.

If the weather ever warms up I'm going to get a bunch more released this spring. :laughing: