I blame all of you!

PyrateWench

After a few weeks of reading the forums and other websites, getting my gpsr, tools and maps... I took advantage of the 3 day weekend and did absolutely nothing but geocache! My brother and I found 17 caches around town, ospreys, manatees, beautiful sunsets and really nifty local spots I'd never seen before. Of course, there was the falling in the mud, going face first into a spider web and getting caught a mile from the car in a chilly rain storm - but that's half the fun. :)

So, yes. I blame everyone here for enticing me into this GC world - because now I'M SO ADDICTED!!!! I love to try new things, but I can't remember having this much fun in a long time. I just can't wait until next weekend when I can do it all again. :o

After a few weeks of reading the forums and other websites, getting my gpsr, tools and maps... I took advantage of the 3 day weekend and did absolutely nothing but geocache! My brother and I found 17 caches around town, ospreys, manatees, beautiful sunsets and really nifty local spots I'd never seen before. Of course, there was the falling in the mud, going face first into a spider web and getting caught a mile from the car in a chilly rain storm - but that's half the fun. :)

So, yes. I blame everyone here for enticing me into this GC world - because now I'M SO ADDICTED!!!! I love to try new things, but I can't remember having this much fun in a long time. I just can't wait until next weekend when I can do it all again. :o

What kind of GPS did you get?

What kind of GPS did you get?

Garmin GPSMaps 60CSx and the City Navigator v8... Thank god for tax refund season is all I can say!

I LOVE it... Works really well for all the caches and great for around town. I love to drive around, but get lost in a paper bag, so well worth the investment.

Wow! That is one nice GPS! I wish I could pay for one. That is probably the best hand held unit you can buy, at least in my opinion.

Garmin GPSMaps 60CSx and the City Navigator v8... Thank god for tax refund season is all I can say!
Well, a "real" geocacher would send that 60CSx down here to Bradenton to see how well it worked compared to my 60C. I'd even pick it up! I'll send it right back to ya.... the 60CSx I mean.... really... trust me! <<IMPG quickly looks up how to disguise his 60C to look like a 60CSx>> :anicute:

Welcome aboard... lots of good caches in the area and if you get a chance to head a little east of you, I would highly recommend Where The Green Fern Grows. Ol' Bubba Hide's pride and joy (and the #1 rated cache in west central Florida).

Wait!!! You actually have mud up there? We just have wet sand.... hehehehe

Well, a "real" geocacher would send that 60CSx down here to Bradenton to see how well it worked compared to my 60C. I'd even pick it up! I'll send it right back to ya.... the 60CSx I mean.... really... trust me! <<IMPG quickly looks up how to disguise his 60C to look like a 60CSx>> :anicute:

Welcome aboard... lots of good caches in the area and if you get a chance to head a little east of you, I would highly recommend Where The Green Fern Grows. Ol' Bubba Hide's pride and joy (and the #1 rated cache in west central Florida).

Wait!!! You actually have mud up there? We just have wet sand.... hehehehe

Hehehehe... I could just see myself driving back going "Wait.. why is the "SX" written in crayon on my GPS?"

Mud.. Sand.. Ok, it was really smelly fish sand out in the Mangroves in Crystal Beach on the Pinellas Trail. Thanks for the ideas! Wandering all around the county since I live in Palm Harbor and work in St. Pete- but will eventually wander out that way too.

Neat to see others around the area that do this. I was hot on the trail of Cold Case Cachers (hot/cold - heh) the other day, seems they signed a few of the same logs only hours before we did!

Edited by PyrateWench

Your Welcome. :D

After a few weeks of reading the forums and other websites, getting my gpsr, tools and maps... I took advantage of the 3 day weekend and did absolutely nothing but geocache! My brother and I found 17 caches around town, ospreys, manatees, beautiful sunsets and really nifty local spots I'd never seen before. Of course, there was the falling in the mud, going face first into a spider web and getting caught a mile from the car in a chilly rain storm - but that's half the fun. :anicute:

So, yes. I blame everyone here for enticing me into this GC world - because now I'M SO ADDICTED!!!! I love to try new things, but I can't remember having this much fun in a long time. I just can't wait until next weekend when I can do it all again. :D

Hehehehe... I could just see myself driving back going "Wait.. why is the "SX" written in crayon on my GPS?"
Crayon??? I'd at least use my black Sharpie! :anicute:

Mud.. Sand.. Ok, it was really smelly fish sand out in the Mangroves in Crystal Beach on the Pinellas Trail.
I think the scientific term is "MUCK". Stepped out of my kayak near Caladesi Island (Honeymoon area) to try to snag a cache and sunk in that muck up to my knees... almost lost my water shoes!

Thanks for the ideas! Wandering all around the county since I live in Palm Harbor and work in St. Pete- but will eventually wander out that way too.
It's old phosphate mines, lots of trees, lots of elevation changes, and good caches.

Neat to see others around the area that do this. I was hot on the trail of Cold Case Cachers (hot/cold - heh) the other day, seems they signed a few of the same logs only hours before we did!
That's always fun. We were tagging behind Snowbirds VT a few weeks ago at Gasparilla Island (Boca Grande) and finally caught them. That's always a blast. Good luck and welcome to the wild and whacky (and sometimes bush-whacky) world of geocaching. :D Now back to working (or at least looking like it)
Crayon??? I'd at least use my black Sharpie! :D

Mud.. Sand.. Ok, it was really smelly fish sand out in the Mangroves in Crystal Beach on the Pinellas Trail.
I think the scientific term is "MUCK". Stepped out of my kayak near Caladesi Island (Honeymoon area) to try to snag a cache and sunk in that muck up to my knees... almost lost my water shoes!

Well, what I yelled certainly rhymed with "muck" :D And yes! I live right by Honeymoon Island - there's a really clever cache named "Baia" that's on the causeway if you're back in the area.

Thanks for the warm welcome... Back to work for me as well. :anicute:

I really like that you take a picture near each cache. I wish I had started doing that when I first started. Don't stop! Years from now you'll have a great photo gallery!

Thanks! I took the idea from kostia when I did my first cache by my house. Thought it'd be a great way to document the trips. :anicute: I like to find areas that are specific to the site/stand out without giving anything away.

After a few weeks of reading the forums and other websites, getting my gpsr, tools and maps... I took advantage of the 3 day weekend and did absolutely nothing but geocache! My brother and I found 17 caches around town, ospreys, manatees, beautiful sunsets and really nifty local spots I'd never seen before. Of course, there was the falling in the mud, going face first into a spider web and getting caught a mile from the car in a chilly rain storm - but that's half the fun. :anicute:

So, yes. I blame everyone here for enticing me into this GC world - because now I'M SO ADDICTED!!!! I love to try new things, but I can't remember having this much fun in a long time. I just can't wait until next weekend when I can do it all again. :D

:D My boyfriend loves geocaching. He's like a kid on a treasure hunt. :D

After a few weeks of reading the forums and other websites, getting my gpsr, tools and maps... I took advantage of the 3 day weekend and did absolutely nothing but geocache! My brother and I found 17 caches around town, ospreys, manatees, beautiful sunsets and really nifty local spots I'd never seen before. Of course, there was the falling in the mud, going face first into a spider web and getting caught a mile from the car in a chilly rain storm - but that's half the fun. :D

So, yes. I blame everyone here for enticing me into this GC world - because now I'M SO ADDICTED!!!! I love to try new things, but I can't remember having this much fun in a long time. I just can't wait until next weekend when I can do it all again. :anicute:

I offer you my most sincere condolences...

Life as you know it will forever be changed...

So, yes. I blame everyone here for enticing me into this GC world - because now I'M SO ADDICTED!!!! I love to try new things, but I can't remember having this much fun in a long time. I just can't wait until next weekend when I can do it all again. :anicute:

We spent all of Sunday out caching...just so we could go to New Mexico to move a TB on to a new state (goal for it is to visit all 50 states + Mex & Can). Drove 300+ miles and did 7 caches with our son, Zolgar and introduced Shiloh (RedSky Aussie #1) to caching. We had a great time! We went out tonight and did 3 before it got dark.

I blame (thank!) our son for getting us started.

Yesssss, thats the way it is !!!!! :-D

I can't remember what I did with my free time before starting geocaching :-D

> Garmin GPSMaps 60CSx and the City Navigator v8

Great device! Got it to! You just need some TOPO maps now.

Have a lot of fun

and greetings from Germany!

Martin

You never said whether you moved any Travel bugs and/ or geocoins. AH, Another addiction ;) ( or can be)

Oh! oh! Yes, I've found two TB so far :D Have my eye on a geocoin that's pirate related, but it seems to be moving around caches quickly - must find, log and move along - just to say I did. :D

We spent all of Sunday out caching...just so we could go to New Mexico to move a TB on to a new state (goal for it is to visit all 50 states + Mex & Can). Drove 300+ miles and did 7 caches with our son, Zolgar and introduced Shiloh (RedSky Aussie #1) to caching. We had a great time! We went out tonight and did 3 before it got dark.

I blame (thank!) our son for getting us started.

Sounds like you lot had a great time!

Have a lot of fun

Martin

A lot of the caches around town have recently been signed by someone visiting from Germany. Thanks for the warm welcomes!

Edited by PyrateWench
Oh! oh! Yes, I've found two TB so far :lol: Have my eye on a geocoin that's pirate related, but it seems to be moving around caches quickly - must find, log and move along - just to say I did. :unsure:
A fun thing if done right. We have a bunch of trackables out there and some problems, too. They seem to disappear a lot.

Had one TB called Total Meltdown that was made from something found near the site of Hot Wheel cache, a place in the woods where a burned out car husk used to be. This was a piece of dripped molten metal from the car fire. Really cool. Really gone :) And our last heartbreak was an FGA (Florida Geocaching Assoc) Logwalker geocoin. Really cool coin and special to me since it is my picture on the coin ;) But the first one we put out we placed in a TB motel cache on I-75 and it got stolen before it even got discovered. :) Also recently grabbed a gecko TB from a cache at Emerson Point, was still showing in the inventory in a cache in Kansas City.

Trackables are cool... as long as people understand what they are and how to log them...

After a few weeks of reading the forums and other websites, getting my gpsr, tools and maps... I took advantage of the 3 day weekend and did absolutely nothing but geocache! My brother and I found 17 caches around town, ospreys, manatees, beautiful sunsets and really nifty local spots I'd never seen before. Of course, there was the falling in the mud, going face first into a spider web and getting caught a mile from the car in a chilly rain storm - but that's half the fun. :unsure:

So, yes. I blame everyone here for enticing me into this GC world - because now I'M SO ADDICTED!!!! I love to try new things, but I can't remember having this much fun in a long time. I just can't wait until next weekend when I can do it all again. :)

hahahaha....welcome to the addiction! Have fun!

Welcome, Welcome, Welcome! :)

Any tax refund money left to buy a kayak? There are water caches too!

Soon, you'll find that seeking geocaches isnt just reserved for the weekends.........it's before work, lunch break, after work, and night caching too!

I think it's wonderful that your 15 year old-brother is joining you! :unsure:

May you never log a frown! :lol:

Wait untill she scores her first FTF! ;):)

Welcome, Welcome, Welcome! :)

Any tax refund money left to buy a kayak? There are water caches too!

Soon, you'll find that seeking geocaches isnt just reserved for the weekends.........it's before work, lunch break, after work, and night caching too!

I think it's wonderful that your 15 year old-brother is joining you! :unsure:

May you never log a frown! :lol:

Wait untill she scores her first FTF! ;):)

My friend has a kayak - that'd be fun! There's also a tiny island off the coast that's available to public 24/7 that I've camped at - would make for some fun caches.... *ideas everywhere*

I generally wear dresses and heels to work... I'm half tempted to keep a change of clothes with me so I can cache during the week! :)

I've been caching since 1/12/08, I was hooked with the 1st cache I found.

My bonus from my job allowed me to buy a Garmin76Cx & a Palm m500.

I carry my backpack with my instruments, swag & accessories to work, usually I also carry a change of clothes, just in case. I use to visit the library every other weekend to get a supply of books. I haven't been to the library in over a month.

My wife know not to expect me home till dark or later on work days, my yard has foot tall grass, the weeds have taken over the garden & I'm happy as can be.

I spend a lot more time on the computer now, looking for & at caches that I want to find.

I went for 3 days without hunting a cache, I got chills, fever, grumpy & hard to live with. One find and I was cured.

I LOVE THIS CRAZY SPORT!!!!!

Have a lot of fun

Martin

I think the topo map of Florida looks just like the regular map of Florida. The first elevation change isn't till after you leave the state...

Also, Kootenay Pirates have a couple of Geocoins, if you're looking for pirate related stuff.

My friend has a kayak - that'd be fun! There's also a tiny island off the coast that's available to public 24/7 that I've camped at - would make for some fun caches.... *ideas everywhere*
Caladesi per chance? Watch the tide! (spoken from experience WALKING our kayaks back from the southern tip of the island thru 2 inches of water). Have a handful of paddle only cache hidden along the Upper Manatee and the Braden if you're on the other side of the bay sometime :ph34r:

I generally wear dresses and heels to work... I'm half tempted to keep a change of clothes with me so I can cache during the week! :D

Only half tempted???? Okay, you're not totally assimilated yet... the back of my Jeep is always extra clothes, hiking stick, ponchos, camoed Lock-N-Locks, box of cache containers and camo gear (wire, Velcro, camo duct tape, etc), folder of blamk logs, various sized plastic bags, TB tags, power drill and power screw driver, swag, spare batteries, SWFWMD preserve guides, bug spray, sun screen, first aid kit (with snake bite kit and poison ivy wipes), and the usual stuff a truly assimilated cacher carries.... hehehehe :rolleyes:
I think the topo map of Florida looks just like the regular map of Florida. The first elevation change isn't till after you leave the state...
You mean those paper maps we've been buying are NOT true to scale 3D topo maps of Florida? Reading the map I always thought the Suwannee River looked just like a crease! :rolleyes:

Also, Kootenay Pirates have a couple of Geocoins, if you're looking for pirate related stuff.

I was thinking the same thing, which is why I didn't grab TOPO... I believe Florida's highest elevation is going over a speed bump. >.> Thanks for the pirate link! /obsession

I LOVE THIS CRAZY SPORT!!!!!

Welcome to the addiction as well! ;)

Oh.....I should go do our taxes, shouldn't I.
We *HAVE* to do taxes???? Dang, gotta stop listening to Wesley Snipes... :ph34r:

*laughs* I was getting ready to say... don't take tax advice from him or Richard Hatch from Survivor.

I generally wear dresses and heels to work... I'm half tempted to keep a change of clothes with me so I can cache during the week! :rolleyes:

Only half tempted???? Okay, you're not totally assimilated yet... the back of my Jeep is always extra clothes, hiking stick, ponchos, camoed Lock-N-Locks, box of cache containers and camo gear (wire, Velcro, camo duct tape, etc), folder of blamk logs, various sized plastic bags, TB tags, power drill and power screw driver, swag, spare batteries, SWFWMD preserve guides, bug spray, sun screen, first aid kit (with snake bite kit and poison ivy wipes), and the usual stuff a truly assimilated cacher carries.... hehehehe :D

Oh no... you misunderstand... Half tempted to bring a change of clothes... and half tempted to just run through the forest in a skirt for a FTF! :D I'll jot down that shopping list for later... I crammed most of that into my backpack and have two boxes in my trunk full of neat things and fun swag trades. OH! I didn't even mention... Last night I stuck my hand into my geocaching backpack (which hasn't been touched since Monday) to grab some batteries and a #$%! bug/creepy crawly/roach/palmetto bug crawled up my arm. How the blazes it got in there in the first place I don't know. Note to self on keeping pack sealed up while signing logs!