Where do you yak about geocaching from?

infiniteMPG

As I sit here at work taking a mini-break (one of several) and post to the forums, I wonder how many others out there have that little IE window open and steal away a second every now and again to pop a message in the forums. Do you consider it 'goofing off' or saving your sanity? I mean I could always take up smoking and snag a few dozen break a day, but I think this is better for my health. At least my physical health... :o

How many forum contributors are at work right now? Or where are you when you post? And don't worry, I'm not affiliated with your H.R. Department.... really. I'm not. Really. :)

Oh yeah, please include your employee # and department name at the bottom of your posts. :)

i'm a secretary so am staring at the screen basically all day. it's no big deal for me to keep a couple open at the bottom though the urge to post becomes distracting. I justify it this way: if I didn't type so quickly, I wouldn't have time to post. Because I can get my work done quickly, i spend the little extra time to jot off a sentence or two.

I just got done eating my lunch here at Indiana State University where I'm a student.
Now I didn't say I wasn't in the admission's office. So please stop by and see Mr. Jack Maynard in Room 208 in Parsons Hall when you get a chance.... :o

Hehehehe... just kidding. Good luck there! Lived in New Albany for a while, nice area, nice school.

I often post from work when I have time. My ability to have time to post is directly related to my abilities to delegate tasks to others to do. :o

My boss knows when the manure hits the air circulation device that he can count on me to get done what needs to be done so he isn't too worried if we take advantage of slack time when it comes along.

I'm SO glad I didn't get into this while I was still working! I was in State government and they were so paranoid about employees' use of the internet that they had tracking software installed and would do a monthly review of the sites you visited! Since I was able to retire at 51 a few years ago, I can "yak" about caching whenever and, since we travel in an RV, where ever I happen to be. My only regret is that I didn't get into this sooner! :anicute:

I just got done eating my lunch here at Indiana State University where I'm a student.
Now I didn't say I wasn't in the admission's office. So please stop by and see Mr. Jack Maynard in Room 208 in Parsons Hall when you get a chance.... :anicute:

Hehehehe... just kidding. Good luck there! Lived in New Albany for a while, nice area, nice school.

Que? ISU is in Terre Haute.

I can do what I want and When I want...(If I get permission from my wife)
Good man :anicute:
Smart man... live to cache another day :D

I definitely take all my "sanity breaks" at work on this forum. A fellow cacher works two offices down from me and makes for great lunch chat.
dirtking sits right next to me at work and I got him hooked so we often yakked about GC... up until he tried to get FTF on my Pine Nutz cache nearby and his GPSr fell out of his bike pack and got run over by a truck and smushed to bits. Same day his wife tore up their van. Loaned him mine to get the FTF but wasn't a good day for him. We haven't talked much GC since the accident... I mean with the GPSr, not the van.... :D
I can do what I want and When I want...(If I get permission from my wife)
Good man :anicute:
Smart man... live to cache another day :D

I definitely take all my "sanity breaks" at work on this forum. A fellow cacher works two offices down from me and makes for great lunch chat.
dirtking sits right next to me at work and I got him hooked so we often yakked about GC... up until he tried to get FTF on my Pine Nutz cache nearby and his GPSr fell out of his bike pack and got run over by a truck and smushed to bits. Same day his wife tore up their van. Loaned him mine to get the FTF but wasn't a good day for him. We haven't talked much GC since the accident... I mean with the GPSr, not the van.... :D

Oh dear! I think you're jinxed, stay away from my CSX :D

I yak from my office between other jobs (solitare, text twist, updating my web pages, designing web pages, etc.)- Its taken a long time but finally I'm not at the bottom of the heap :D - I am still accountable to others but the 'others' are 1200 kms away and I have never met them :anicute: - hired by phone and and paid electronically - so far all is good :D

My personal computer and not monitored :D

I'm a software engineer and ALWAYS have the forums open during the day, along with some other forums that I frequent. I find it helps the days go by a bit faster :anicute: Noone around here cares as long as I get my work done.

Ditto.

geocacher.9key.post

Edited by 9Key

If I didn't have these little sanity breaks, I think I would loose my mind. Right now, I'm working for a company doing "follow-up" calls, to make sure they have received our faxes. It is absolutely, mind dumbingly dull! I'm on hold quite a bit, and am usually surfing on here while waiting... that and doing online crosswords! :D

I used to substitute teach, which is usually glorified babysitting. While at the high school, this place provided a sanity safe zone. It was nice to be able to "converse" with other adults!

Oh dear! I think you're jinxed, stay away from my CSX :D
Not ME! Wasn't my GPSr.... I am most definitely not jinxed.... let me prove it. Hold my 60C8x (the "S" kind of smeared and it looks like an "8".. dang Sharpies!) and hand me your 60CSx. Now walk away.... no, further away.... now get in your car and drive home and I'll prove I'm not jinxed! ;)
I yak from my office between other jobs (solitare, text twist, updating my web pages, designing web pages, etc.)- Its taken a long time but finally I'm not at the bottom of the heap ;) - I am still accountable to others but the 'others' are 1200 kms away and I have never met them :D - hired by phone and and paid electronically - so far all is good :D
.... totally jealous.... totally. :D

My personal computer and not monitored :D
Dang... we don't even had admin rights on our workstations anymore! Grrrrr.... still trying to find a way to run Mapsource portably.... ::sigh:: B)

I post from bed. Gotta love laptops. :D

"Are you lonesome tonight

do you miss me tonight

Are you sorry we drifted apart

Does your memory stray to a bright sunny day

When I kissed you and called you sweetheart

Do the chairs in your parlor seem empty and bare

Do you gaze at your doorstep and picture me there

Is your heart filled with pain, shall I come back again

Tell me dear, are you lonesome tonight"

Beautiful. :D:D;)

I am a SAHD and i also care for my 90yo Grandmother full time as she is blind. She lives with my family. (This really puts a ka-bash on caching but i dont want her in a nursing home either. :) )
Good for you!!! I was a SAHM and SAHGD (stay-at-home granddaughter) when I could get to my mother's house to watch grandma. It was sad to watch my son grow up and my grandmother "grow down". Is your granny okay?
I am a SAHD and i also care for my 90yo Grandmother full time as she is blind. She lives with my family. (This really puts a ka-bash on caching but i dont want her in a nursing home either. :) )
Good for you!!! I was a SAHM and SAHGD (stay-at-home granddaughter) when I could get to my mother's house to watch grandma. It was sad to watch my son grow up and my grandmother "grow down". Is your granny okay?

Physically she is ok. Being blind she needs help with most things. I make her meals and giver her meds. I shower her and make sure that she has what she needs. She pretty much just sits there in silence. I tried to get her things to listen to so that she could keep her mind sharp. She wasn't interested.

She is crazy. She has always been mental. She mumbles to herself a lot and prays to have a BM. (That is what the days revolve around after you are too old to look forward to the mail or newspaper each day.)

I would take her out in the car for a caching trip and lunch but she is afraid to leave the house for fear of the dreaded BM. (Sometimes you pray to have them and sometimes you pray to not have them.) I figure it will all work itself out in the end. doh4jw.gif And it always does.

She is crazy. She has always been mental. She mumbles to herself a lot and prays to have a BM. (That is what the days revolve around after you are too old to look forward to the mail or newspaper each day.)

I would take her out in the car for a caching trip and lunch but she is afraid to leave the house for fear of the dreaded BM. (Sometimes you pray to have them and sometimes you pray to not have them.) I figure it will all work itself out in the end. doh4jw.gif And it always does.

Well, I just spit out my tea all over the desk... :rolleyes::ph34r:

I'm a substitute teacher and most of my job involves supervising the kids to make sure they don't burn down the classroom or eachother. That puts me in a look up-look back down situation. Staring at them gets kind of boring and akward after a while so I have become addicted to the forums (both this one and one other), even though I'm mostly just a lurker.

I work largely from an office and laboratory in my home, and so my time is largely my own. When I travel out-of-state (or out of country) on consulting gigs, when lecturing, or on research field trips, I tend to largely ignore the Internet during those trips and thus, at such times, I may be absent from the forum for anywhere from 4 days to almost a month at a time.

HAHAH... my company has geocaching.com blocked but since i'm in 3 different organizations i can still get on at work to post here and there...

I don't find it cheating... i do it as my workload allows... this time of year with the fiscal year end coming up on us quick i can see my posts at work dwindling but when i have my work completed or know that i'll have it all caught up before the end of the day... I'll hop on regularilly and will sometimes even keep up my end of a convo online.

J

I always get a kick out of this topic every time it comes up!

It is amazing how many folks will violate written policy to use their employer's time and equipment (while being paid to work) to cruise the internet... maybe even to enter into earnest debate about the ethics and honesty of certain minutia of geocaching, while effectively stealing from their employer!

Just a quick search reveals a huge market in employee monitoring software - http://www.google.com/search?q=employee+in...amp;rlz=1I7ADBS.

I wonder how many of those companies investing in such software really don't care if employees spend work time in unrelated forums? I would bet zero!

I wonder if Groundspeak has a policy on Internet use? Reckon Jeremy would object to paying his folks to work while they cruised forums on, say, basket weaving?

As to the question, I am a retired IT analyst (thus the insight into employer's productivity concerns!) who when not out geocaching am likely at home playing on the internet.