What if the satellites were unavailable?

CarlfromOH

I've found several geocaches without using my gps. If the ariel photo/topo map is good enough, there is a nearby landmark that is easily recognizable, and the clue is good enough, it's not that difficult for many caches. Most other caches COULD be found with a map and a compass, but would be considerably harder. There is even a geocacher in the area here who seems to cache exclusively without a GPS. It can be done, just tougher.

Way, way, WAY back in our caching career we managed to find nearly all of our cache hides wihout a GPSr. Most were urban caches that we used the maps and hints with. Not to say that we didn't make a few mistakes, or post a few DNF's, but I believe we managed to find around fifty without a GPSr. Sometimes we'll still do it for fun. :anicute:

So what do you think? Would you still try to geocache if for some reason the satellites went away? Would we replace the coordinates with something else? Or would we try to go to maps and compasses? What do you think?

As for me, I think I would still try to geocache!

No, because a GPSr is fundamental to "geocaching". :anicute:

Of course, one could try Orienteering or Letterboxing without the need of GPS satellites.

Edited by UncleJimbo

I been the the Army 22 years and know for a fact using a compass and map takes a special skill that you develope over a period of time. If there was no sattlelites, I guarantee geocachers would loose interest because its much harder to read the contour lines a topo map compared to following a arrow on a GPS.

I would use google maps for the existing caches. From those maps you get a general idea of the land. For new caches I would try my best with the clues and have fun looking. I would also try and refresh my map and compass skills. Even if I didn't find anything, at least I would still be out hiking and having fun. As for my GPSr I guess it would make a nice yellow door stop! :D

So what do you think? Would you still try to geocache if for some reason the satellites went away? Would we replace the coordinates with something else? Or would we try to go to maps and compasses? What do you think?

As for me, I think I would still try to geocache!

No, because a GPSr is fundamental to "geocaching". :)

Of course, one could try Orienteering or Letterboxing without the need of GPS satellites.

Hi Uncle Jimbo,

I considered getting into the meaning of "geo" and "caching" in my original post but thought it would be too long. I also wanted to see if the discussion arose. People have set out caches for eons. I would argue, along with some others above, that with modifications to the listings and the use of maps, landmarks, etc. the hunt would continue! And perhaps there would be a run on sextants, chronometers, and compasses!