Winter Hike spikes for kids?

mdrj6783

Does anyone have any recommendations as to what is the best spike for kids on winter hikes.

My son loves coming with me on winter hikes and we typically were sticking with flat terrain. But recently he has wanted to do some hills and low mountains.

We tried Yak Traks this past weekend on a fairly steep hill, but they were not very useful. He still slid quite a bit. I'm hesitant to put crampons on him as I feel they are too dangerous for an 8 year old.

I was considering Kahtoola microspikes, but couldn't find any reviews and I am wondering if they are only marginally better than Yak Traks. Also considering 6 point crampons, but I have never used them myself and have heard that they are really tough to keep on.

I went to REI, EMS and the Kittery trading post and none of the sales associates were much help.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

We usually carry along a pair of "Korkers" - used for Salmon /Steelhead fishing. Pretty simple in design, a laced footbed with carbide tips on 'em. I like them because you don't have to take them off every time you're off ice, like a crampon. Just keep 'em on an go.

"River cleats" are basically the same, except the footbed is full of hex head screws, similiar to Cameltrekers' diagram.

Both can usually be found on e-bay.

here's a cheap but effective method

screw shoes

While Serving in Japan we had our boots done up this way in a Japanese Army store, it was the best $5.00 I spent out there. Before the "upgrade" I took a spill quite often, afterward I didn't have a one. Those screws stayed on my boots well after my returning to the US and the soles were not worn at all :anicute:

I haven't tried these, but the people I know who did really liked them.

Kahtoola Micro Spikes

Based on some reviews I've read, I picked up some MICROspikes for $60CAD a pair last weekend and tried them out.

They worked fantastic, I tried them on rock,mud, and slick ice going up a slope.... I would definitely recomend them, although they have yet to stand the test of time.

screw shoes

I had seen this post last year, and wanted to try it out but never had a chance to do so. After slipping and sliding on my last caching trip, I decided to give it a shot.

Bought a pack of 100 #8 x ½ inch sheet metal screws at the local hardware store for under $3. Inserted the screws in my old hiking boots with my power drill (approximately 20 in each shoe) and tried them out today. The hike was about 3 miles over snow covered ground. Although the terrain wasn’t very steep, I thought the shoes performed admirably, as I didn’t slip one time.

Anyone looking for a low cost way to avoid slips and falls on winter hikes should try this out.

screw shoes

I learned something today, it wasn't a waste :santa: I have a pair of crampons but this is way more reasonable for my ventures plus cheaper. Now, I wonder if this will work on my truck tires instead of the studs ;)

You laugh, but dang, Steph, that ain't a half bad idea! This is the last season I'll be using this set of studded tires, new ones next year, but I'm missing a BUNCH of studs off of them, wonder if I could replace them with small screws, lol!

How on earth did this Texas girl end up in the great white north! There is a saying that if God had intended Texans to ski he would have made bullsh** white, lol! Never in a million years did I think I'd be driving on snowpack roads and thinking 'gee, the roads are good today!' LOL!

Naomi