The Kitsap County Challenge

-Hawk-

Thanks to Team Misguided, this one is now active. Here is the link to the Kitsap County Challenge

Please use this thread for discussions concerning this challenge, instead of the one Dick (W7WT), had previously set up.

Hi -Hawk-,

Thanks for getting this one up and running. One question...since all finds must occur after today's date, what do you do if you have found every cache that is active on a particular map? I know that Mack-Daddy and I have cleared every cache on Bainbridge Island so three of the seven maps pertaining to Bainbridge (503, 533, and 583) don't have any caches for us to find right now...Also pretty sure Map 593 (SE tip of Bainbridge) does not have any active caches on it. Take Me Home Country Club Road is on Map 563...Thanks for clearing this up.

Thanks to Team Misguided, this one is now active. Here is the link to the Kitsap County Challenge

Please use this thread for discussions concerning this challenge, instead of the one Dick (W7WT), had previously set up.

Hi -Hawk-,

Thanks for getting this one up and running. One question...since all finds must occur after today's date, what do you do if you have found every cache that is active on a particular map? I know that Mack-Daddy and I have cleared every cache on Bainbridge Island so three of the seven maps pertaining to Bainbridge (503, 533, and 583) don't have any caches for us to find right now...Also pretty sure Map 593 (SE tip of Bainbridge) does not have any active caches on it. Take Me Home Country Club Road is on Map 563...Thanks for clearing this up.

I think -Hawk- intends for us to go to Blake Island (GCB0DD) for the cache on page 593. It also seems a waste to go back and put another signature in the log just to get the find for this challenge. (I seem to recall a find is a find comment in the other thread) Both the Washington State County challenge and the Washington state DeLorme challenge don't put this type of restriction on the finds.

Jim

Edited by jholly

Hi -Hawk-,

I think -Hawk- intends for us to go to Blake Island (GCB0DD) for the cache on page 593. It also seems a waste to go back and put another signature in the log just to get the find for this challenge. (I seem to recall a find is a find comment in the other thread) Both the Washington State County challenge and the Washington state DeLorme challenge don't put this type of restriction on the finds.

Jim

Mea Culpa, I didn't see the tip of Blake Island on Map 593. Double Mea Culpa, the BI maps I'm asking about are 503, 533 and 563 (not 583).

Molly

I will first address slowestmovers question.

If there is no active cache in a map# that you have cleared out, then you will have to wait until another cache is placed to clear that map.

This will address both slowestmovers question, and jhollys comment regarding map #593.

There is an active cache in map#593. It just so happens to be on Blake Island and is Blake Island Summit. If you wanna toodle over there to get that one to clear that map, good on you. There is other options to get it cleared, but I will leave it up to you to figure out how.

I anticipated that the date restriction would become an issue. I saw what Lizzy went through.

I spent ALOT of time on this, and actually the listing had been submitted with that decision not being wholly made. My main reason for having that restriction in this challenge vs. the Washington State Delorme Challenge and Washington State County Challenge, was simply the word State. In those, you have to go across the state to get a cache. Here you might have to travel an hour and a half, from north to south, east to west, to get a map #. You can do that on an evening after work. The other two challenges mentioned, is easily a weekend (or more) commitment.

Edited by -Hawk-

No I haven't forgot. But the date restriction puts me in a bind on other maps (more that one), along with maps on BI. Now I need to find others to hide caches in the north part of the county along with BI. If it was only 593 then it probably would not be much of an issue. But with several, well, I'll need to think about it.

Jim

No I haven't forgot. But the date restriction puts me in a bind on other maps (more that one), along with maps on BI. Now I need to find others to hide caches in the north part of the county along with BI. If it was only 593 then it probably would not be much of an issue. But with several, well, I'll need to think about it.

Jim

The date restriction, unfortunately puts others in a bind as well. There is no race to complete this, nor any other challenge. I could have left the date restriction out, and I would have had no less than a dozen cachers (that we could think of, including myself), finishing this challenge without leaving the chair of their computer. A significant amount, seeings how it is just Kitsap County. We gave everyone no cache type restrictions w/ the exception of Event caches, virts and earthcaches included (no other challenge offers that as an option), as well as no size restriction. I have actually delayed my completion with the date restriction. Lets not get greedy now, and have fun.

Hi -Hawk-,

Jim

You are correct Jim, I made the remark that a Find is a Find. I know I was unhappy when I had already found a cache in all of Washington State Counties but then decided to

do the official one and found my micro cache finds didn't count. We just drove to Bellingham this past weekend just to get Whatcom County again. Hawk did the right thing when he put the date restriction on. The date restriction turned a arm-chair

challenge to a real long time challenge. It is going to take some participation from the cachers to fill in some new hides for some maps. I think this is going to be a quality

fun challenge.

Edited by W7WT

YES, Wal-Mart has about 9 of them as this date. Office Depot might - Gig Harbor's does :anicute:

Thanks for the update. I take it you picked one up for yourself?

I also plan on contacting KRL (Kitsap Regional Library), and finding out if they have any, as another option.

Edit to add: I just contacted the Sylvan Way Branch and she did a county wide search for the Thomas Guide, and nada. They have none! I was hoping that checking out one to alleviate the need for purchasing one would work, guess not.

Edited by -Hawk-

The oldest cache in Kitsap County is Green Mountain Cache hid on 2-11-01. I have never looked for it. My first cache was Imperial Data Cache which is still active in the Illahee Forest on 8-10-01. Then the next

one was Dandelion Cache in Illahee State Park. I think they were the only caches in Kitsap County at that time. So, I have never found all the caches even when there was only three. I have decided to do the Kitsap County Challenge starting at Map 412 and working my way down.

This will give me a better idea where the caches are when it comes to verifying your finds. I haven't been to the final cache but probably won't do it, since my name is on the cache page. Good luck Dick

O.K. here I go being logical again . . . Since "event" caches aren't allowed. If we do the caches that are associated with the GPR, are we or aren't we going to be able to count any of those :rolleyes: ?

I will reiterate what is on the challenge listing and make the allowed/not allowed caches for this challenge as simplistic as I can. If it has these following icons, it will be allowed: traditionalpc6.gif, multihg2.gif, unknownmysterysp3.gif, virtualqn2.gif, letteboxdx3.gif, or earthcachenl8.gif.

If it has this icon eventss4.gif, it will not be allowed.

Edited by -Hawk-

I want to thank Captsteiny for placing two new caches GC19H5H and GC19HCT at Anderson Point State Park. Both of these are at the very top of Map 682. The top of Map 682 is 47°26.300 and both of the latitude coordinates for the two caches are slightly less than that. Also GC19G9J Moose's Trail is a new one for MAP 560. If you place a new cache please list it here and give the Map it is in. Thanks Dick

Edited by W7WT

I received the e-mail quoted below this morning through the Groundspeak mail server:

"From: Geocaching <noreply@geocaching.com>

Date: 22 Feb 2008 03:02:15 -0800

Subject: [GEO] Fledermaus contacting -Hawk- from Geocaching.com

If the "Kitsap County Challenge" is still limited to those with only a Premium Membership(PM), then you can still COUNT ME OUT!

If the common/ordinary geocacher cannot be allowed to participate in the KCC, then I see no reason for me to set myself apart from them.

Furthormore, I have no use for most, if not all, of the benefits gained by paying for either a one month or even a one year "PM".

If I understand the rules correctly, qualifying cache finds must occure after the inception of KCC, i.e. 18 February 2008.

If anyone attempts to place a false or duplicate "Found It" claim on one or more of my geocaches, for the sole purpose of the KCC, said claim will be deleted.

If I knew which of my geocaches were going to be used/claimed by others for the KCC, I would Disable them for a reasonable period of time.

/\/(°w°)\/\"

Per his e-mail, this previous post, and his obvious hostility to this challenge, all of Fledermaus' caches are ineligible for use for this challenge. I know this will eliminate several caches from the possibilities, but I see no other option, given his statements.

I received the e-mail quoted below this morning through the Groundspeak mail server:

If the "Kitsap County Challenge" is still limited to those with only a Premium Membership(PM), then you can still COUNT ME OUT!

If the common/ordinary geocacher cannot be allowed to participate in the KCC, then I see no reason for me to set myself apart from them.

Furthormore, I have no use for most, if not all, of the benefits gained by paying for either a one month or even a one year "PM".

If I understand the rules correctly, qualifying cache finds must occure after the inception of KCC, i.e. 18 February 2008.

If anyone attempts to place a false or duplicate "Found It" claim on one or more of my geocaches, for the sole purpose of the KCC, said claim will be deleted.

If I knew which of my geocaches were going to be used/claimed by others for the KCC, I would Disable them for a reasonable period of time.

495.png495.png495.png495.png495.png495.png495.png495.png495.png495.png

/\/(°w°)\/\"

Per his e-mail, this previous post, and his obvious hostility to this challenge, all of Fledermaus' caches are ineligible for use for this challenge. I know this will eliminate several caches from the possibilities, but I see no other option, given his statements.

How about someone going out and finding /\/(°w°)\/\'s caches then claiming them for the challange so that he will disable his caches, then you wouldn't have to worry about them.

/\/(°w°)\/\"

I am speechless. I would probably comment but then my few caches would probably be put on the ban list.

Jim

I am speechless. I would probably comment but then my few caches would probably be put on the ban list.

Jim

Fledermaus made the statement that he would disable any cache that was found to be used for clearing a map in this challenge if he knew which ones. That is why this decision was made....read the last line of his email Jim.

Adding Also:

I want it to be clear why I posted that email, It is an explanation as to why that decision was made. It was not placed on this thread, to belittle Fledermaus,or start any flaming and I would like this thread to stay ON TOPIC please.

I've been thinking about this since reading the email from Fledermaus posted yesterday.

Fledermaus's complaint was that he couldn't participate in this challenge because he was not a premium member and therefore could not create a bookmark list. That in effect makes this cache a Members Only cache. I have no problem with that and it's perfectly acceptable to create a members only cache.

If you wanted to allow non-members to participate in this challenge you could put a comment in for those people offering to work with them on an individual basis regarding verification. This wouldn't be an exception to the no email for coordinates option. I'd look at it as no different than emailing the owner for help after a DNF.

The challenge listing has been updated to reflect the changes in allowance of non Premium Members to participate and complete this challenge.

Also, until further notice, dictated by him, all Fledermaus caches will still remain ineligible towards completion of this challenge, due to the fact, that there is no impact to the ability to complete this challenge by having them excluded. If he would like to retract that exclusion, I have no problem with that at all, he just needs to post and let us know of his decision.

The Porters in WA, were the first ones to have an approved cache for map #500, GC19KBG - Olympic View - Kitsap. They will be allowed to claim this placement towards completion of map #500. I will update the listing,to reflect this.

If you were planning on hiding a cache in #500 to clear that map#...sorry, too late. You will, at this time have to find GC19KBG - Olympic View - Kitsap, in order to complete it.

To Whom It May Concern:

I guess there's no such things as "privacy of communications", as far as some of you are concerned. Now that my private message has been "leaked" to the public, i.e. the GC Northwest Forum no less. Keeping that in mind and assuming that this would be repeated, I have circumvented that occurance to make the following comments.

I have noticed that a few of you have come to the conclusion that the Non-Premium Members(NPM) do have a right to participate in the (newly updated)KCC, provided a Premium Member(PM) assists in the filing of a "Bookmark List"(a PM function). I'm sure that participating NPMs will appreciate the help.

As for those of you who get their kicks at criticizing others for the fun of it, "take a chill pill" and "get a reality check".

In any case, you have managed to overlook(or disregard) one aspect of the challenge, that being the fact that all approved KCC finds have to be on or after the inception of the KCC itself. I see no reason for me to galavant around the county, wasting precious and limited resources buying costly fuel, just to hunt caches I have previously found.

If my past cache finds are totally ineligible and/or out of the question, then you can still COUNT ME OUT!

BTW, I have been in contact with at least a dozen other NPMs and PMs alike and coincidentally they also share simular concerns for the aforementioned limitations of this KCC.

As for the use of my caches for the KCC, since they have no real value or bearing on the completion of this challenge for it's participants and until I hear otherwise, I see no reason to change my previous decision.

BTW, I will no longer monitor this thread, so comments directed specifically at me, insulting or otherwise, will go unread. Happy Hunting and Have A Nice Day!

EOL / 30

Edited by Fledermaus

We were at many of the caches you found yesterday, today. We only found 7 caches but they were in 7 different maps. We now have 11 maps. We all have different caches to get. The real power cachers who go after every cache that is published are probably hurting for a while.

I am looking on ways of verifying the non PM cache list. I understand that their Watchlist is limited. Does anyone know how many and can they put their map completion caches on a watchlist and send it to me to verify. If they copy their watchlist and paste it to a non-GC e-mail and send it to me it would lessen the load of verifying as I could just click on the cache and verify the map. This may be a Ground Speak No No. Thanks Dick

We were at many of the caches you found yesterday, today. We only found 7 caches but they were in 7 different maps. We now have 11 maps. We all have different caches to get. The real power cachers who go after every cache that is published are probably hurting for a while.

I am looking on ways of verifying the non PM cache list. I understand that their Watchlist is limited. Does anyone know how many and can they put their map completion caches on a watchlist and send it to me to verify. If they copy their watchlist and paste it to a non-GC e-mail and send it to me it would lessen the load of verifying as I could just click on the cache and verify the map. This may be a Ground Speak No No. Thanks Dick

Could they put their finds on a spread sheet or word document with the page and cache name then email that to you? This could make your life a little easier.

Lori :unsure:

Could they put their finds on a spread sheet or word document with the page and cache name then email that to you? This could make your life a little easier.

If they don't have a PM, they probably don't have a spread sheet or even MS word. I don't even have a spread sheet but do have MS Word. If it is legal to do so just putting it on their Watchlist and then copy the watch list. Paste it to their own e-mail compose

page and send it to me. That way the caches are clickable. They can also add the GC number, map page, and date they found the cache. They should be able to do that with any membership and any computer. I just want to know if that is considered to be OK. Since Hawk has spread sheet, he might want to go that way. Thanks for your input.

That is definitely the preferred way. I want the participants to have what ever option they can use. Dick does not have Excel, but I do. If they email me an Excel file, I can print it and scan it back into an email to Dick. If the participants do not have Excel, both Dick and I have MS Word, so that will work as well.

I am liking Dicks idea of creating a watchlist and just do a copy and paste thing into the body of an email, and then shoot that off to us. My main concern with that, is I know I use my watchlist primarily, not bookmark lists, so there would be alot of other caches included, and cluttering things up. Will have to explore that option a bit further, but for now the Excel and MS Word options are perfectly acceptable.

That is definitely the preferred way. I want the participants to have what ever option they can use. Dick does not have Excel, but I do. If they email me an Excel file, I can print it and scan it back into an email to Dick. If the participants do not have Excel, both Dick and I have MS Word, so that will work as well.

I am liking Dicks idea of creating a watchlist and just do a copy and paste thing into the body of an email, and then shoot that off to us. My main concern with that, is I know I use my watchlist primarily, not bookmark lists, so there would be alot of other caches included, and cluttering things up. Will have to explore that option a bit further, but for now the Excel and MS Word options are perfectly acceptable.

Isn't there a limit on the entries in your watchlist for non PMs?

Tim, you don't have to use your watchlist at all. Just the participants. When you get the email with the clickable caches you can work directly off of that and then just print out the page and put it in a notebook so you have a paper account of their caches. Dick

non PM members can only watch 100 caches.

Thanks, that is plenty for sending me their finds, there are 40 maps. Whatever, the NPM want to send us we will work with it, as long as it has the name, GC no., map page and

date they found it. I don't think that there will be that many. If they want to send a spread sheet or ms word, send it to Hawk. If they want to send a watchlist or just an e-mail with the listing, send it to me. We will be gone to Alaska the last week in May until about the last week in June.

Anyone wanting to send me a watchlist send it to my regular e-mail. Just request it in a e-mail and I will send it to you. The watchlist doesn't work if you send it via Geocaching.com. Dick

Edited by W7WT

Not to hijack this thread, but just in case anyone is interested the Snohomish County Thomas Guide challenge has been approved and is ready to go. Similar (but not exactly the same) rules as this one.

Snohomish County Thomas Guide Challenge

No problem. You have some great ideas there. -Hawk- is in KC working again but should be back the latter part of the week. I will suggest to him that we have the bookmark listing start with the map number so they will be in order. Thanks and the best of Luck.

Dick

Not to hijack this thread, but just in case anyone is interested the Snohomish County Thomas Guide challenge has been approved and is ready to go. Similar (but not exactly the same) rules as this one.

Snohomish County Thomas Guide Challenge

Great Job on the challenge RWW! Looks very good. I have to admit, that I do like your idea of having the map #'s listed before the name of the cache. That could make things easier to keep track of. Good Luck with your challenge.

Are we having fun yet? W7WT sure is. Arlene and I started looking for caches in the various maps mainly so I would get experience on what caches are where. I notice from the Bookmarks listed on the cache page that many are going after the Maps. Also, I noted we are leading the pack. Don't be concerned if you are going after the FTF. I will not look for the final until someone else does it. I have the feeling that there are some power cachers out there that are not posting their bookmarks and will be turning in their

bookmarks of all 40 maps soon. We have several maps that we will have to wait for someone to activate a new cache. Kitsap is a great county and we are proud to live here.

Haven't seen any sign of non Premium Members going after the challenge. If you are and need any help, please contact either -Hawk- or me. Dick

I just received a notice that GCT8G5 A Day at the Beach will be disabled. Here is what the owner had to say:

February 27 by orthosprime (24 found)

From the last couple of posts it appears I need to check this out. But, please be advised that I will be pulling it permanently since it has become to difficult for me to maintain it. If someone else would like to take it over please contact me. Thanks, orthosprime.

As far as I can tell this is the only cache on Map 473. Hope that someone can keep it alive. Dick

I just received a notice that GCT8G5 A Day at the Beach will be disabled. Here is what the owner had to say:

From the last couple of posts it appears I need to check this out. But, please be advised that I will be pulling it permanently since it has become to difficult for me to maintain it. If someone else would like to take it over please contact me. Thanks, orthosprime.

As far as I can tell this is the only cache on Map 473. Hope that someone can keep it alive. Dick

and does the adopter get credit for the map? As with 500?

Jim

Jim

In short, my answer would be yes you can claim map #473 if you were to adopt GCT8G5. Although you didn't place it, and I assume you haven't found it, you are still preventing a cache from disappearing (being archived), and taking on the responsibility of owning and maintaining that cache. Of course this will be a decision that Dick needs to weight in on as well, before it is a set in stone thing.

Jim

In short, my answer would be yes you can claim map #473 if you were to adopt GCT8G5. Although you didn't place it, and I assume you haven't found it, you are still preventing a cache from disappearing (being archived), and taking on the responsibility of owning and maintaining that cache. Of course this will be a decision that Dick needs to weight in on as well, before it is a set in stone thing.

And Dick says YES, Thanks, Jim. We appreciate your adoption. Dick

Well there's your answer Jim. If you are going to actively pursue the adoption, then once it is 'official', let Dick and I know, then you can go ahead and place that cache in your bookmark list for Map#473.

Yes, I sent an email to the owner regarding adoption. I have not found it, in fact I was one of the recent maintenance request logs. Once the adoption goes through I will need to replace the cache since it certainly seems to be MIA at this point.

Jim

I've been so busy with the last year of school, I haven't been keeping up on my Kitsap caching. I'm glad that I'll have some motivation to get back into it when I have some time. (Uh, minus Ray's caches, I gather :) )

Thanks Dick and Hawk.

Hi Matt, good to hear from you. Better get some geocaching done before you become a lawyer

and move back to Wisconsin. It's a lot of fun. We have finished 19 of the 40 maps. Since you haven't been Geocaching for a while, almost any cache you find will be after February 18, 2008. Take your family and enjoy Kitsap County. Dick from Illinois