Urban caching and 'permission': examples?

Aerodoq

(cross-posted at bcgeocaching.com forums)

It seems to my uneducated eye that many urban caches (and off-road too I bet) are placed with the 'easier to apologize than to ask permission' philosophy, with some of the 'frisbee' rule thrown in too.

To be strictly correct, though, we should be seeking permission for all caches not on public land, and even for many of the public areas I wonder how many of those strictly should be approved too.

In that vein, I wonder if there's anyone in the Lower Mainland (or in BC) that can provide me with examples of approaching businesses or institutions for permission to place caches on their property.

I've got a couple of ideas for caches in a number of publicly accessible places but on non-public property. (If it's publicly accessible and you're encouraged to be there, I have a hard time calling it 'private' property.) Anyway, I thought I'd take the 'hard' route and see if I can get explicit permission for a couple of potential locations. To do this, I'd like to be able to point at other local caches where people have sought and obtained permission for the cache. Does anyone have some examples or personal experience that they could share?

In terms of letters asking permission, I've got some examples from other places around the world, but again if anyone has a local example, I'd appreciate some pointers.

Cheers!

A>

Usually it's when something becomes a problem that a policy needs to be created to manage something that appears to be awry. If you are following the overlying park or public space use policies then why should they be asked to create a new policy to cover this specific activity? Perhaps you'll gain a feeling of comfort if you check the municipal guidelines and see if what you're doing isn't approved instead of looking for specific written permission to do it.

BC Parks for example has said they like geocaching so long as we follow their park use policies like any other park user. They specifically said they don't want to put the manpower into writing policies for geocaching. It's like asking for a specific policy for folks who do orienteering or walk their dog in the park....not many other park users are singled out - except perhaps telling dog walkers to clean up after their pets!

The Municipality of Saanich have said that they have no issue with geocaching and also said they don't want to dedicate any manpower to writing policies for this one activity. They were surprised they were being asked. I've heard this is the case in some Lower Mainland parks too.

One example of approaching a private business: I approached the owner of a Fish and Chip shop that had a very decorative fence and property that fronted the street and asked if we could place a geocache on their property. They were very receptive and said yes. He wanted to see the container and approve where we would put it and they asked that it complement their existing decor.

Usually it's when something becomes a problem that a policy needs to be created to manage something that appears to be awry. If you are following the overlying park or public space use policies then why should they be asked to create a new policy to cover this specific activity?

The Municipality of Saanich have said that they have no issue with geocaching and also said they don't want to dedicate any manpower to writing policies for this one activity. They were surprised they were being asked. I've heard this is the case in some Lower Mainland parks too.

OK, that make a lot of sense. Thanks!

Oddly coincidental. Others appear to be looking at the permission issue. This could be the tip of a very very big iceberg

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...=y&decrypt=

Whoa! That is not good. I found a Google Map On the Niagara Peninsula Conservation Authority's website, I'm sure that would include every conservation area and property on the map.

[Edit] Looks like there was a mass archival, and it happened fast. Although it looks like they "missed" quite a few. :laughing:

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

I'm not in BC, but I have asked for permission before to place a cache. In this case, I wanted to place a cache on the shelves of my local library. I wrote an email to the adult services supervisor explaining geocaching and my intentions and followed up with a visit. The library staff was very receptive to the idea, and even did up all the labelling to make the cache 'container' look like any other book.

It has been quite a success, though I'm told a few library staff were extremely surprised to find a lineup of people hoping for an FTF the morning after the cache was published! :anibad:;)

Well, in Ottawa we have this type of land that is quasi-public. We're a city that seems to think that five levels of government just isn't enough :unsure:

Anyway, the National Capital Commission runs several parks and other pieces of land in the area

I simply asked, explaining to them that it would cause no harm and often attracts a very desirable element (I threw in CITO here) - They had no official policy concerning caching, so I was able to get permission (for myself though - A precedent anyway) to hide on NCC land

For a private business, I would just inform them that this could attract potential customers, and again that it would not cause any harm