Off Your Rocker Series

Bumperboats3

We were in TX last week and were caching to pass some time. I came across an Off Your Rocker cache that we tried to find, w/o any luck. It was our first OYR cache and we're not sure if they're always in the same place or not. The coords were in the middle of the parking lot so we looked everywhere in the lot and up by the building. Can anyone give me any hints so that I can locate it or the next OYR cache we may come across? No one likes a DNF and I'm feeling frustrated.

We were in TX last week and were caching to pass some time. I came across an Off Your Rocker cache that we tried to find, w/o any luck. It was our first OYR cache and we're not sure if they're always in the same place or not. The coords were in the middle of the parking lot so we looked everywhere in the lot and up by the building. Can anyone give me any hints so that I can locate it or the next OYR cache we may come across? No one likes a DNF and I'm feeling frustrated.

They are not in the same place. The cache description should lead you there.

There was some discussion on this topic before - but it was related to the OYR caches getting pulled - was there any more discovered about this?

Bump. :o Yes, what is up here? If I remember correctly, a potential OYR placer received an email not only rejecting his particuliar cache, but saying that CB on a whole was no longer allowing the caches. This was in the Fall of 2007. And I'm pretty sure Michael got involved. Any word? Inquiring minds want to know.

Could it have been a Lamp Post Cache? I ask because you're fairly new and haven't posted in the forums often -- it's possible you haven't heard of them.

Would someone mind explaining what on Off Your Rocker cache is?

This is (was?) a series of micro caches hidden generally on the porch of a Cracker Barrel restaurant. For a long time the head office management had given a blanket approval for these. I seem to recall a forum thread about that approval being withdrawn and so the series may be going away.

Since the geocaching community, for whatever reasons, managed to tick off the corporate management of the Cracker Barrel Restaurant chain, it would probably be a great idea to not hunt for any of these caches. This should hold true, whether or not you have reason to think that a physical cache might still possibly be present at a location.

Edited by Team Cotati

As a general rule, (at least in this area), the hides are hidden on the antique item located on the front porch. Most of the ones that I've done have involved magnetic hide a keys mounted onto, inside, or under the large stell or iron antiques on the front porch. While this type of hide isn't for everyone, it does make a welcome change from LPC's. We enjoyed the mix of hide styles and high muggle factor so much that we now own five around the I-70 and I-81 corridors. Not everybody's cup of tea, but a welcome respite from waiting on the porch playing checkers.

As to the change in the policy, until Michael or the Cracker Barrel Old Country store make an announcement, we'll keep maintaining ours for others to find.

As a general rule, (at least in this area), the hides are hidden on the antique item located on the front porch. Most of the ones that I've done have involved magnetic hide a keys mounted onto, inside, or under the large stell or iron antiques on the front porch. While this type of hide isn't for everyone, it does make a welcome change from LPC's. We enjoyed the mix of hide styles and high muggle factor so much that we now own five around the I-70 and I-81 corridors. Not everybody's cup of tea, but a welcome respite from waiting on the porch playing checkers.

As to the change in the policy, until Michael or the Cracker Barrel Old Country store make an announcement, we'll keep maintaining ours for others to find.

I mean picture it. The main entrance to your business, in fact essentially an un-official trade mark for your business(could be official for all I know, it really doesn't matter) and you are supposed to welcome people scrounging around at all hours, regardless of how busy you might be, rummaging through your stuff.

I mean people, come on!!! A prime example of a cache concept that never ought to have seen the light of day. It had to ultimately fail and that was exceedingly predictable. The ultimate end to the tired old "if you don't like them....don't hunt them" mentality.

Some things are just an embarrassment to the game and it's participants and clearly a bad idea on the face of it. This was but one and it certainly isn't going to be the last.

Coincidentally, I tried to find one of these Off Your Rocker caches yesterday. I rarely give the name of the cache much thought, and I certainly do not expect to have to go inside a business to find a cache, and this might explain why I logged a DNF on this cache. Had the coordinates been more accurate, I might have thought to search inside the "porch". An indication on the cache page of the hours the cache is available (only during Cracker Barrel hours) would also seem to be warranted. :anicute:

Edited by UncleJimbo
I mean picture it. The main entrance to your business, in fact essentially an un-official trade mark for your business(could be official for all I know, it really doesn't matter) and you are supposed to welcome people scrounging around at all hours, regardless of how busy you might be, rummaging through your stuff.

I mean people, come on!!! A prime example of a cache concept that never ought to have seen the light of day. It had to ultimately fail and that was exceedingly predictable. The ultimate end to the tired old "if you don't like them....don't hunt them" mentality.

I don't want this post to come across as hostile, and I'm not flaming you, just curious why this one issue bugs you. Why are you complaining about caches placed near this one brand? If the OYR caches were the only example of hiding caches on or around a place of business there might be a legitimate gripe. Why rail against caches placed on the grounds of one particular brand?

This is not the only example of placing a cache near a business. Is it because caches around this one business brand are part of a loosely-defined "series"?

Could it have been a Lamp Post Cache? I ask because you're fairly new and haven't posted in the forums often -- it's possible you haven't heard of them.

It's possible. We did search poles, trying to be inconspicuous...nothing jumped out at us as even a possible hiding place. Luckily it was cold outside, so we had the lot to ourselves.

That's great advice: the antiques. I called my SIL from the porch to ask her advice and she thought I should stay away from the porch, seeing as how it's part of their building and not necessarily everyone's property. So, we focused on the lot more. The only hint was that it could be considered a grab-and-go by anyone who had ever cached an OYR previously.

Sounds like these caches are pretty controversial! I didn't mean to stir anything up, I was just looking for advice. Thanks to all of you who have replied to me. Wish I was still in TX so that I could keep looking for it; may have to call my friends and see if they can run over there some night since they're close. I'll see if our CB here has one for me to try for! Cache on!!

Coincidentally, I tried to find one of these Off Your Rocker caches yesterday. I rarely give the name of the cache much thought, and I certainly do not expect to have to go inside a business to find a cache, and this might explain why I logged a DNF on this cache. Had the coordinates been more accurate, I might have thought to search inside the "porch". An indication on the cache page of the hours the cache is available (only during Cracker Barrel hours) would also seem to be warranted. :D

Which is why we've always confirmed our coordinates for our caches, as well as posted a couple of lines about hours to hunt for these caches. :anicute:

I don't want this post to come across as hostile, and I'm not flaming you, just curious why this one issue bugs you. Why are you complaining about caches placed near this one brand? If the OYR caches were the only example of hiding caches on or around a place of business there might be a legitimate gripe. Why rail against caches placed on the grounds of one particular brand?

This is not the only example of placing a cache near a business. Is it because caches around this one business brand are part of a loosely-defined "series"?

The last OYR discussion was just one of many arguments that a few regular posters have taken the side of "If you don't like that kind of cache, just don't look for it." Team C's point, I think, is that simply taking that stance instead of being proactive about something may, and possibly did, lead to actions taken like CB's corporate offices saying "No more geocaches."

A point better made in the other thread, since this thread is about the types of hides you might encounter for an OYR cache. Unfortunately, that thread got shut down. IMHO, it doesn't make the discussion any less off topic in this thread...

...Even though I agree with the naked-half-man in this case... :anicute:

The only OYR cache I've found was a hide-a-key stuck under one of those metal faux-antiques on the porch. I wasn't even actually caching that day, I was driving a bus load of senior citizens to a retreat. We'd stopped for lunch, and after I finished, I went & sat on the porch, visiting with others who were done. I'd told them a bit about caching on the ride, and as we rocked, I wondered aloud if there was a cache there, since, at the time, the company welcomed caches. As I rocked backwards, I saw it sticking out from under the hiding spot. I had quite the crowd watching me retrieve the cache, enough that any muggles (other than those who were there with me) had no chance to see me grab the cache. It was great cover! I need to bring a bus load of people on urban caching trips more often. :D

Edited by Too Tall John

I don't presume to speak for Cotati, but I think his complaint is that climbing over the antique props on the porch of a Cracker Barrel might draw negative attention to the cacher(s) and caching in general. This is true of any hide around the entrance of a business, but Cracker Barrels in particular, given that permission to place there has been publicly rescinded.

I don't presume to speak for Cotati, but I think his complaint is that climbing over the antique props on the porch of a Cracker Barrel might draw negative attention to the cacher(s) and caching in general. This is true of any hide around the entrance of a business, but Cracker Barrels in particular, given that permission to place there has been publicly rescinded.

Just clarifying a thing or two out of curiousity.

The last I heard, blanket permission to hide a cache had been rescinded, but nothing in that message implied local owners/managers could not still give permission to hide a cache on the properties.

I've only done one or two CB caches that was actually on the front porch. The antiques are there for customers to enjoy and appreciate. I've seen many folks (not cachers) examining the goods and had a few managers demonstrate how an old wringer washer worked, or how an older tool was used. I've never experienced a very "hands-off" attititude about the antiques outside the CBs. Recently I even heard a tale of a man who was given one of the old photos inside when it turned out to be a photo of one of his relatives.

Of the geocaches I've found at CBs:

One was on the back of a tin scrub board hanging on the far corner of the porch

One I did was in a bush the side parking lot

One was near the bottom of the light up sign out front (on the entry road, nowhere near the porch)

One was in a very cute garden (made just for cachers with a bench to sit on while you signed the log) behind the storage shed out back

One was under a rock near a ravine on the far side of the parking lot

Two were in trees out in the parking lots

One I never found, but I suspect now that it might have been on the newspaper box

I've heard people say that it ought to be quick if you'd done these before, but as you can see, the ones I've found had so much variety it hasn't been true for me. Are there places where all the hides are nearly identical?

That stinks! I didnt know they were doing away with OYR caches. Those were fun ones, liked doing them on my trips down 95 to Florida.

I don't know that anyone is "doing away with" the caches--Last I heard, corporate had simply stated they were retracting blanket permission. If anyone knows any different than that, I'd like to hear details.

There really is a difference.

If I say to you, "You can swim in my pool anytime you want" that is blanket permission to use my pool.

Later, if I say, "I'm not sure I really want people in the pool when I'm not home --call me if you feel like swimming, and if I'm going to be home then you can still swim in my pool" then you don't have blanket permission anymore, but you still might be able to swim.

Honestly, if I were a local owner/manager I would prefer it that way. I wouldn't like corporate making me feel pressured to let geocachers use my property even if it wasn't 'a good fit' for our particular location. I'd prefer geocachers know they needed to work with me to make arrangments if I agreed.

There's also a difference between not having blanket permission for new caches to be placed and requiring anll current caches to be removed. Therefore, the naked guy's assertion that current OYR caches shouldn't be sought, simply because blanket permission for future caches has been rescinded, makes no sense to me.

It should also be noted that the naked guy's assertions that 'the geocaching community' 'ticked off' Cracker Barrel has not been shown to be true. As Neos stated, this could simply be a case of corporate letting local management control the issue.

Finally, the naked guy's argument that the company would naturally be turned off by geocachers 'rummaging' through the porch items makes no sensesince the caches in question were placed with permission, the items in question are intended to be 'rummaged', and attracting geocachers to the restaurants serves to increase the restaurant's and store's business.

To the OP:

• Check the description, hint and past logs for clues.
  • Give your GPSr plenty of time to settle while you are still away from the building.
  • Pay special attention to the newspaper boxes and chotchkies on the porch.
  • Consider emailing the cache owner for a hint.

<snip>

attracting geocachers to the restaurants serves to increase the restaurant's and store's business. <snip>

Ahhhhhh!!!!!! Just gotta love those assumptions!!!!!!! I believe I've done 4 to 6 of these caches and only once did I go in to spend any money. In fact the only time I did, the family and I were going to dinner and I snagged a cache before going in; getting the cache was a secondary effort.

<snip>

attracting geocachers to the restaurants serves to increase the restaurant's and store's business. <snip>

Ahhhhhh!!!!!! Just gotta love those assumptions!!!!!!! I believe I've done 4 to 6 of these caches and only once did I go in to spend any money. In fact the only time I did, the family and I were going to dinner and I snagged a cache before going in; getting the cache was a secondary effort.

Not an assumption. Increased traffic begats increased awareness begats increased visits by paying customers. Certainly not every visit, but it happens. Marketing 101.

My family and I have relatives in West TN. Heck, Pooter2001 and I got married there. While there, we go geocaching every time. I had not idea there was a CB nearby to my inlaws house, until we did the OYR cache.

Guess what? Next visit, 4 months later, someone says "Where ya wanna go out to eat?" My kids said "There's a CB nearby" so my Father in Law takes us out to eat at CB. Check was over $80.

One story of what I am certain are dozens if not hundreds.

<snip>

Not an assumption. Increased traffic begats increased awareness begats increased visits by paying customers. Certainly not every visit, but it happens. Marketing 101.

My family and I have relatives in West TN. Heck, Pooter2001 and I got married there. While there, we go geocaching every time. I had not idea there was a CB nearby to my inlaws house, until we did the OYR cache.

Guess what? Next visit, 4 months later, someone says "Where ya wanna go out to eat?" My kids said "There's a CB nearby" so my Father in Law takes us out to eat at CB. Check was over $80.

Have they fired the CFO yet?

Some things are just an embarrassment to the game and it's participants and clearly a bad idea on the face of it. This was but one and it certainly isn't going to be the last.

Well, the owners of the property knowingly and of their own free will granted PERMISSION for the caches to be there. i think that was good enough.

How is it that when the hider does things RIGHT, by getting explicit permission from the property owners (in this case from the TOP management), it is an "embarrassment to the game?"

The fact that the management later changed their mind, for whatever reason, does not change the fact that the series was done quite properly. The series was in no possible way an "embarrassment" to anyone.

If OYR were an embarrassment, then our whole game stinks to high heaven.

Since the geocaching community, for whatever reasons, managed to tick off the corporate management of the Cracker Barrel Restaurant chain, it would probably be a great idea to not hunt for any of these caches. This should hold true, whether or not you have reason to think that a physical cache might still possibly be present at a location.

Anyone know the actual reason why CB decided to retract the blanket authorization? Was it just to allow individual locations to authorize/deny cache placement or did cachers actually "tick off" CB?

Craig

C&S 143

Anyone know if in fact blanket authorization ever existed and if so, who issued it to whom, when?

The forums have a search feature.

The half-naked man getting on your nerves? :)

Best I can tell you, The OYR Bookmark list has the old corporate contact, and indeed is worded as if blanket permission still exists.

I wouldn't doubt the owner of the bookmark list themselves secured blanket permission, or knows how it came about. They seem to be a big fan of the series. :laughing:

<snip>

If I follow your "logic," my home should be full of Wal-Mart stuff based on the LPCs I've found. I don't think so!!!!!!! Nice try but then again I'll cut you some slack as your thoughts have probably been distorted by the mega-doses of gravy you've consumed over the years while frequenting CB!!!!!

<snip>

If I follow your "logic," my home should be full of Wal-Mart stuff based on the LPCs I've found. I don't think so!!!!!!! Nice try but then again I'll cut you some slack as your thoughts have probably been distorted by the mega-doses of gravy you've consumed over the years while frequenting CB!!!!!
Just because you haven't increased your shopping at Wal-Mart and eating at Cracker Barrel doesn't mean that other cachers haven't.

If I need to buy something, I will certainly go into Wal-Mart after finding the LPC in the parking lot. I also am more likely to eat at Cracker Barrel given that they allowed a micro on their porch. I might not eat there at the time that I find the micro, but their graciousness plays into my restaurant decision.

<snip>

Just because you haven't increased your shopping at Wal-Mart and eating at Cracker Barrel doesn't mean that other cachers haven't.

If I need to buy something, I will certainly go into Wal-Mart after finding the LPC in the parking lot. I also am more likely to eat at Cracker Barrel given that they allowed a micro on their porch. I might not eat there at the time that I find the micro, but their graciousness plays into my restaurant decision.

Logic below the Mason Dixon Line?!?!? Yeah I know I live in Texas but I'm a transplanted Yankee. I'm down here to ensure you guys don't get out of line anymore.

<snip>

Logic below the Mason Dixon Line?!?!? Yeah I know I live in Texas but I'm a transplanted Yankee. I'm down here to ensure you guys don't get out of line anymore.

I'm not sure what it has to do with this topic, but I'm from New York.

I can't speak for steve_p but I am willing to speculate.

I suspect that his objection is not so much that the cache series specifically involves hides at a specifiec business but that, as a series, it doesn't have much to offer to make the individual caches very interesting.

There are several similar "theme" caches in my area that I suspect are similar if not more widespread than the ones that I have encountered. One is an "Always" series and the caches are also in or near parking logs of Walmart stores. The theme is that the cache is "Always" available. Another is a "Do the Dunkin' Dash" series, which are essentially caches hidden in/near a Dunkin' Donuts parking lot. For the most part the hids a lampost skirts but there are a few exceptions with some tricky and unique hides.

A film container hidden in a lampost skirt isn't any more interesting because it's part of series based only on the fact that it's near a specific business. Come on cache owners, use some imagination.

One is an "Always" series
Please tell me that it has to do with feminine hygiene products.
I don't know why you'd hope the cache had anything to do with feminine products, but the rest of the post you quoted goes on to explain:
One is an "Always" series and the caches are also in or near parking lots of Walmart stores. The theme is that the cache is "Always" available.

Yes, I realize I left out an important part of your post, but I figured if we were playing the creative post editing game, I'd have a run at it, too! :o