Good Man Gone

(JoGPS, MaxCacher) Retires.

Joe represents everything good about geocaching, a fine man and one I am proud to know.

I got notice this evening that he is retiring after five years as a Groundspeak Volunteer Reviewer.

Whether you know it or not Joe had a direct influence on your game experience; he had a lot to do with this game and his work has positively affected all of us.

I hope our family of Reviwers and Groundspeak itself will continue to seek his advice and hold him as a role model for how this game should be administrated.

Enjoy your new-found off time, Joe, you sure earned it!

Thank you for your years of hard work, tremendous expense invested and the good you've done for all of us.

Ed

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

A few of my caches were approved by MaxCacher back before they were "published." ;)

Lotsa folks have asked me if I know MaxCacher. My answer was always "Yep," and I'd leave it at that. I never thought I'd see his alter ego outed in the forums by anyone but Joe himself. Of course, it was no real secret offline. :unsure:

Joe represents everything good about geocaching, a fine man and one I am proud to know.

I got notice this evening that he is retiring after five years as a Groundspeak Volunteer Reviewer.

Whether you know it or not Joe had a direct influence on your game experience; he had a lot to do with this game and his work has positively affected all of us.

He has positively affected ME personally, by setting off chain of events that led to me meeting my wife while prepaing a bid for GW4. :lol:

I hope our family of Reviwers and Groundspeak itself will continue to seek his advice and hold him as a role model for how this game should be administrated.

AMEN BROTHER!

Enjoy your new-found off time, Joe, you sure earned it!

Thank you for your years of hard work, tremendous expense invested and the good you've done for all of us.

Ed

YES!

Thanks from Mynda (The Snoogstress) Connor (The Snooglet) and little 'ol me. :lol:

Inside or outside of geocaching Joe is one of the finest human beings you'd ever get the chance to meet. A genuine class act and a great friend.

Edited by Snoogans

On one hand, was really sorry to get that email, in that it signals the moving on of one of the real "good guys" in this game...and one of those who strove to keep the game simple, full of fun more than anything else. Truly he will be missed by many, and the game will be none the better for his departure.

On the other hand, it will be good to know that he now has the time and opportunity to play the game the way he wants, unencumbered by the limitations that must go along with his former responsibilities. We had the pleasure of caching with him on one delightful occasion...memorable it was, and one of our favorite experiences ever associated with this game.

Thanks Max. You taught us a lot about this game...hopefully, we'll reflect it in all we do. You've been a real blessing to this game, and to us. Hope to see you on the trail again soon.

Five years!!!! Really? Man, time really flies.

Something tells me that this won't mean that Joe will be any less involved than he has been. He has done tons for the game locally even if you discount his reviewer persona.

Lotsa folks have asked me if I know MaxCacher. My answer was always "Yep," and I'd leave it at that. I never thought I'd see his alter ego outed in the forums by anyone but Joe himself. Of course, it was no real secret offline. :rolleyes:
It wasn't much of a secret online, either. His recent 'why does my post say maxcacher'-type post was pretty funny.

I remember at the first Geocaching event I attended Joe was one of the first to shake my hand and welcome me to the group. I've felt at home at events since then.

Thanks for all the swift cache approvals in the past. Have fun now you can find more time to hide those great caches I look for when I get the chance.

JoeGPS,

Thankyou so much for your precious time.

And thankyou for all of our great meetings and fun events together.

You know where I am down here in SW Missouri so now that you have some free time....yeah right.

Head on back down this way and I will show you some really neat areas.

Thanks again but if you are like my dad,after he retired he works harder than he did while working.

So TAKE IT EASY, TAKE IT EASY.

Your the best.

Say it ain't so, Joe.

I guess this is as good a time and place as any to thank JoGPS.

Thanks for all you have done for geocaching...not only all the tremendous amount of work, but all the considerate things you have done for so many people along the way.

Thanks for coming to my #1000 event back in the days when there were not many of us. That is the first time we met. It meant a lot to me for you and Southpaw to drive from Nashville to Louisville in the snow to honor me and to meet our local cachers. You truly are an ambassador for geocaching. And thanks for the gold ammo box.

Thanks for representing the "little guy" so many times in battling TPTB.

Thanks for being so kind to my wife and me.

Thanks for making me a part of GeoWoodstock One.

And most of all, thanks for being just like you are. There are a lot of geocachers, but there is only one JoGPS.

Peace from Louisville

Having hunted with him a fair amount in '02, I don't feel a need to eulogize him. He's left a big mark on the sport locally and I know that he'll continue to do so.

I look forward to buying him a salty dog after a day of hunting again without wondering who is non-disclosed on what and just getting back to chasing tupperware in the woods instead.

I haven't been on the forums lately, but I just ran across this thread after someone emailed me the link!

Oh man....I have to say MaxCacher was the greatest reviewer to ever publish my caches. I'm one of the people who got advice from him on helping with making my cache meet guidelines while still keeping the same creative idea that flowed to my head.

I was scanning the posts to this thread, so I'm not sure if this was covered.....but one thing that I liked about Max was how even though the geocaching guidelines say to expect a cache published withen 24-72 hours......Max had my caches published in less than an hour. One time, my cache got published in 5 minutes!

We are going to miss you as a reviewer....but I am looking forward to visiting with you more as a cacher.