Flashlights as Cache Containers?

I came across one of these plastic flashlights at Target today and picked a few up to use as cache containers in a multi that I have set up. All the first two stages need to hold are some 4x6 slips of paper that contain instructions to the next stage. Seems like a good cheap solution to a rigid plastic container with a screw cap! I'm planning on supergluing the switch in place and caulking around it, as that seems to be the only part that might not be waterproof. Do you think they'll work well?

My main concern is that some varmint will chew the plastic open, as that's the reason I need to replace the containers in the first place. I had previously used short lengths of metal pipe with plastic caps, but this plastic is much harder than the previous plastic I used.

http://www.shop.com/Eveready_Battery_3251N...ml?sourceid=298

Edited by chaddyboy_2000

Best recommendations for micro stage containers:

• Waterproof match containers (99c at Wally World/Target/etc)
  • Soda bottle preforms (available online)
  • film cans (you'll hear many differing opinions on this, but you can get them free from photo depts.!)
  • Bison Tubes/Nitro tablet holders

I've also heard of/seen copper plant tags - they turn green in the weather, and they're almost impossible to notice in a tree after that.

I would advise against using flashlights, as they're pretty big and easily visible, and they're bound to be non-waterproof. Even if the container isn't holding the log, a slip of paper is going to become pretty much a spit wad after a couple good rains.

It seems like a neat idea, esp. since many of us carry flashlights while caching, so it's a "caching related" cache container :unsure: . I've got 2 mini-mag lights that have finally died after years of use and miss-use (the copper tabs on the swithces finally gave way) and instead of throwing them out I kept them for this exact same purpose...to turn them into a micro. After all, they are 1) water resistant and 2) metal, so they are sturdy.

Best recommendations for micro stage containers:

• Waterproof match containers (99c at Wally World/Target/etc)
  • Soda bottle preforms (available online)
  • film cans (you'll hear many differing opinions on this, but you can get them free from photo depts.!)
  • Bison Tubes/Nitro tablet holders

I've also heard of/seen copper plant tags - they turn green in the weather, and they're almost impossible to notice in a tree after that.

I would advise against using flashlights, as they're pretty big and easily visible, and they're bound to be non-waterproof. Even if the container isn't holding the log, a slip of paper is going to become pretty much a spit wad after a couple good rains.

The problem is that the first two stages of my multi aren't really micros. The "worksheet" that people need to do is a 4"x6" slip of paper, and I'm putting a roll of 20 in them so that I don't have to refill them constantly. I *think* they'll be waterproof since the entire flashlight is one solid plastic mold, and am baggying the paper just in case a little moisture ends up finding its way in. For less than $2 a piece, I guess it's worth a shot! :unsure:

I have two of them out in the field and both are doing very good. Here

and this one. Both are very tuff to spot.

Give it a try. I did caulk around where the glass and the rim come together and caulked the light switch too.

True, true. I happened to find one of the above mentioned hides of Segerguy yesterday and it was dry and definitely disappeared into the environment. See if you can get one in brown, black or some other non-bright color. Then if the cammo fails, the show-thru won't be as bad.

Unless designed as a waterproof light - just not going to make the best container.

Go with the 88 cent waterproof match containers with an O ring from Wal-Mart.

I think it probably depends alot on your local environment. Here is SoCal, we usually don't get alot of rain, however this year is close to a record setter.

When I place a cache I try for a more unique fun type of a cache and container. I can probably do that because of our weather here and get away with it. Even with the heavy rains that we've had this winter the cache that Crawil found yesterday is bone dry, in fact when I retireved it today it was raining. I have it right here on the table next to me....I have alittle camo touch up to do.

I've got to mimic PJ's answer. You've got lots of reasons why a cheap flashlight will make a poor recepticle, and there are numerous quality alternatives available, even taking into consideration the fact that you need a specific amount of volume to hold your worksheets. Why use something inferior? It's your cache, so the choice is entirely yours, but you did ask.

We had one in our area. It was a water-tight rubberized flashlight and worked very well. I logged two DNF's on it and got a big laugh when I finally uncovered the container.

The owner thought enough of my struggles with his cache that he bought me a flashlight to use too, but I haven't found a good spot for it yet.