Garmin nuvi 260

johnny2154

If it don't have a compass pointer, it's going to be tough. If it, at least, has a satellite page, you can navigate by the numbers - the #s increase as you head N and W. With neither of these, you have the off-road mode to navigate but your map screen probably only zooms in to 120 feet. It's doable, but tough. Get a cost-effective handheld such as a Legend for the field and use the 260 for auto-routing.

I'm getting my wife a 260W as soon as the prices go down (they just came out) to replace her brick 2610.

If it don't have a compass pointer, it's going to be tough. If it, at least, has a satellite page, you can navigate by the numbers - the #s increase as you head N and W. With neither of these, you have the off-road mode to navigate but your map screen probably only zooms in to 120 feet. It's doable, but tough. Get a cost-effective handheld such as a Legend for the field and use the 260 for auto-routing.

I'm getting my wife a 260W as soon as the prices go down (they just came out) to replace her brick 2610.

I have the NUVI 260 and a Etrex Venture. I tied using the NUVI but had no luck... it does do a great job and getting me to the area... then I let the Etrex take over.

My advise, buy a cheap hand held.

On a side note... the NUVI is great for paperless caching. I plug in all the hints and logs and use it while I'm looking. I can even download the pictures if anyone has posted to ensure I'm in the correct area.

The Nuvi is not well suited for Geocaching mostly due to its lack of ruggedness. You will be sorry if it falls a rock or in a mud puddle. Great for in-cav navigation though.

May I recommend getting a little Yellow eTrex "H" model. Rugged little handheld that will work great for geocaching and trail use.

I have a nuvi....i wouldnt use it outdoors personally. They're not made for the outdoors. One drop could kill it quick. I use mine in my truck for when I am driving around to see where caches are and then use my handheld outside.

Yep, that's what I do too. the Nuvi is great for getting me there, then the 60csx does the rest.

My DH bought me a Nuvi this past Christmas and thought it would work for geocaching as well as daily nav. I tried, but it just didn't get us close enough to the caches. I do what the others do, use it in the car to get us in the general area and then use our handheld (weather proofed) for the actual finding. Then we can ask the Nuvi where to go for a snack later! :blink: I really love our Nuvi AND our Etrex Vista. I added Cachemate to my cell phone and we're paperless too. :wub: