Would you find this type of hide appropriate?

Knight2000

I was the reviewer who published this cache. At the time, I was told by the owner that the cache is, and I am quoting, "away from any graves, up in a tree." No mention of climbing.

This was the first of a planned series of "______ is dead here." The second entry never got published. :D

It is away. A-way up in the tree. :anicute:

I guess technically the tree in near the graves and not the cache (as the cache is up in the tree).

On a different note... how do you put all of a users hides on ignore. I am a bit rusty after taking a few months off. (Still trying to figure out what this Wherigo thing is. :D )

This is from the cache page:

Shoudn't be any surprises if you try to find it. Physical-HIGH, Family friendly-NO, hazardous-YES

Again, i didn't mind the up the tree part. Maybe the chart should have said:

Physical-HIGH

Family friendly-NO

hazardous-YES

Tasteless-YES

I snipped out the table, although it is very nice. :D I don't believe I see, Readyornot, where anyone in the thread, most notably the OP, has any gripes about climbing a tree to retrieve a cache. Heck, within 15 miles of my home coords, I'll bet I'd need more than my fingers and toes to count the number of tree climbing caches. :D

Knight2000, if TrailGators were here, he'd tell you forget about bulk ignoring all of a users hides. Judging from the silence of TPTB in a very, very long thread in the website forum. So go to all their caches, and start a clickin'. Once you begin this process, and keeping in mind there is a "all caches hidden by this user" link on all their cache pages, it's really not that painful. :D

I snipped out the table, although it is very nice. :D I don't believe I see, Readyornot, where anyone in the thread, most notably the OP, has any gripes about climbing a tree to retrieve a cache. Heck, within 15 miles of my home coords, I'll bet I'd need more than my fingers and toes to count the number of tree climbing caches. ;)

I guess I just don't understand how climbing a tree is so much worse than having a picnic or pushing a lawn mower over a grave site. I personally wouldn't climb the tree, but not because its in a cemetery, but because I have 3 kids at home that need their dad around :D Can someone explain to me why climbing a tree in a graveyard is such a horrible thing? I can understand the folks that say "NO GRAVEYARDS AT ALL", but I don't understand the folks who say, "GRAVEYARDS ARE OK, BUT CLIMBING A TREE IS JUST TOO FAR"

I snipped out the table, although it is very nice. :D I don't believe I see, Readyornot, where anyone in the thread, most notably the OP, has any gripes about climbing a tree to retrieve a cache. Heck, within 15 miles of my home coords, I'll bet I'd need more than my fingers and toes to count the number of tree climbing caches. ;)

I guess I just don't understand how climbing a tree is so much worse than having a picnic or pushing a lawn mower over a grave site. I personally wouldn't climb the tree, but not because its in a cemetery, but because I have 3 kids at home that need their dad around :D Can someone explain to me why climbing a tree in a graveyard is such a horrible thing? I can understand the folks that say "NO GRAVEYARDS AT ALL", but I don't understand the folks who say, "GRAVEYARDS ARE OK, BUT CLIMBING A TREE IS JUST TOO FAR"

I don't find the tree climbing tasteless, but it is inappropriate. If the family of the guy the cache is named for (assuming the CO didn't know him) were to come visit, what on earth would they think? Not really easy to be stealthy in this situation.

This

image008copy.jpg

is what I find disgusting. I hope the guys family and loved ones aren't geocachers, because I know that if I were related to him, I'd take quite a bit of offense to the cache page. Assuming, of course that the CO is not related to him. If he is related, I hope he talked it over with the rest of the family first...

is what I find disgusting. I hope the guys family and loved ones aren't geocachers, because I know that if I were related to him, I'd take quite a bit of offense to the cache page. Assuming, of course that the CO is not related to him. If he is related, I hope he talked it over with the rest of the family first...

I think the skull and crossbones is completely disgusting. But that's more of a issue with the listing, not with the cache itself? I guess the question is this, "What should be done about it?"

Go request that the cache be archived.

Strangest thing - I was hiking in to a cache yesterday, and wondered about a tombstone cache. I mean, is there anyone out there so immersed in caching that they would want to have their tombstone hold a little compartment for a micro? And then I see this thread. I see that cemetery caching is a reality, and not a figment of my imagination!

I must weigh in as completely against it - a nice (non-caching) stroll through a quiet cemetery is one thing, but earnestly seeking clues amongst a burial ground is not cool. And climbing a frick'n tree? Come on. Some places are just better left alone.

I just logged a find in a graveyard cache last week. It was my first graveyard cache so far but there are a few more in the area.

The one that I found was in a WWII memorial. It was inside a huge canon! It was awesome. I drive past it every day on my way to work but I never stopped to read the plaque and see what it was all about. The hider also got permission.

I'm pretty sensitive about cemeteries. I've lost several very close family members within the last couple of years. In a way, I can see the point of someone wanting to honor a lost family member with a cache. They thought their relative was so great that they wanted to share with other people.

Even if the cache in question was the hiders grandpa or something, that is completely NOT honoring him. A skull and crossbones??? Really??? If my son did that, he would get a serious spanking!

I think the skull and crossbones is completely disgusting. But that's more of a issue with the listing, not with the cache itself? I guess the question is this, "What should be done about it?"

Go request that the cache be archived.

The reviewer who published this cache has posted to this thread, and commented on the cache. I'm sure it would have already been archived. I think he made it clear this was intended to be a series, "_____ is dead here", and that surely isn't going to happen.

Really, this is just a forum for discussing things amongst users of the website, not the Geocache Police forum. I do have a badge though, compliments of SBell111:

08ca1b6a-2239-4834-b2ea-8f76017c642b.jpg

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

I just logged a find in a graveyard cache last week. It was my first graveyard cache so far but there are a few more in the area.

The one that I found was in a WWII memorial. It was inside a huge canon! It was awesome. I drive past it every day on my way to work but I never stopped to read the plaque and see what it was all about. The hider also got permission.

I'm pretty sensitive about cemeteries. I've lost several very close family members within the last couple of years. In a way, I can see the point of someone wanting to honor a lost family member with a cache. They thought their relative was so great that they wanted to share with other people.

Even if the cache in question was the hiders grandpa or something, that is completely NOT honoring him. A skull and crossbones??? Really??? If my son did that, he would get a serious spanking!

This is an excellent point. Say it is the kids Grandfather (and there's a better chance of me being struck by lightning as I type this that it is). That doesn't mean the kids parent's approve!! I would not be happy if my 14 yr. old daughter had a MySpace page saying something stupid about my deceased Father. Excuse me, while I go make sure. :D

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel
Can someone explain to me why climbing a tree in a graveyard is such a horrible thing? I can understand the folks that say "NO GRAVEYARDS AT ALL", but I don't understand the folks who say, "GRAVEYARDS ARE OK, BUT CLIMBING A TREE IS JUST TOO FAR"

To be honest, I am one of those people you mention and no I can't explain it. This is one of those times where I just have to go with my gut and say "I don't think climbing a tree in a cemetery is appropriate." I guess that is why I maintain the right to substitute my own reality at any time. :D

Really, this is just a forum for discussing things amongst users of the website, not the Geocache Police forum. I do have a badge though, compliments of SBell111:

Let me make sure I have this right... I'm upset because I did something that had I read the cache page would have known was something that I wouldn't want to do, but did it anyways, so now I am going to go to a forum and complain about doing the thing that I knew I didn't want to do but did anyways.

Is that about right? I guess I don't understand complaining about something when you have no intention of doing anything about it... Its like people at work who complain about how much they hate their jobs. If you hate it so much, do something!

(like find another one)

I can understand the folks that say "NO GRAVEYARDS AT ALL", but I don't understand the folks who say, "GRAVEYARDS ARE OK, BUT CLIMBING A TREE IS JUST TOO FAR"

Tree-climbing is not normal mourning behavior, or even joyful-celebration-of-the-deceased's-funfilled-life behavior. Tree-climbing is conspicuous and unusual. It is bound to attract the attention of muggles at the cemetery, many of whom may be in the grip of powerful emotions. It seems pretty callous to engage in odd behavior in their midst and make it their responsibility to deal with it.

I'm all for bizarre behavior at other times and in other places, but subjecting mourners to a strange spectacle crosses a line of common decency.

That said, bring on the tree caches, higher the better!

Let me make sure I have this right... I'm upset because I did something that had I read the cache page would have known was something that I wouldn't want to do, but did it anyways, so now I am going to go to a forum and complain about doing the thing that I knew I didn't want to do but did anyways.

Is that about right? I guess I don't understand complaining about something when you have no intention of doing anything about it... Its like people at work who complain about how much they hate their jobs. If you hate it so much, do something!

(like find another one)

With PQs its real easy to not know you didn't want to hunt a cache until you get to the location :)

(like find another one)

With PQs its real easy to not know you didn't want to hunt a cache until you get to the location :)

And that would be the cache hiders problem? If you go hunting a cache without looking at the cache page, then be prepared for whatever you come across.

I can understand the folks that say "NO GRAVEYARDS AT ALL", but I don't understand the folks who say, "GRAVEYARDS ARE OK, BUT CLIMBING A TREE IS JUST TOO FAR"

Tree-climbing is not normal mourning behavior, or even joyful-celebration-of-the-deceased's-funfilled-life behavior. Tree-climbing is conspicuous and unusual. It is bound to attract the attention of muggles at the cemetery, many of whom may be in the grip of powerful emotions. It seems pretty callous to engage in odd behavior in their midst and make it their responsibility to deal with it.

I'm all for bizarre behavior at other times and in other places, but subjecting mourners to a strange spectacle crosses a line of common decency.

That said, bring on the tree caches, higher the better!

Our hobby is conspicuous and unusual :) Tree climbing probably looks more normal than most of the behavior we engage in.. For instance, lifting up skirts and wondering around childrens playground equipment :unsure:

Yes but with this OP he even has a puzzle cache made to make people read the cache page as he states he dislikes people not reading cache pages. So I believe the OP had read the cache page. Knew what the cache was going to be. Already disliked the CO's caches from previous experience. Was going to ignore this cache. But for some reason decided to go ahead against his own better judgement and was disappointed. Wow what a surprise. Then comes to the forums and bad mouths the cache owner. Wants to have the cache archived etc. All for not being able to sign a silly name on a piece of paper. How ridiculous does this really sound?

Our hobby is conspicuous and unusual :) Tree climbing probably looks more normal than most of the behavior we engage in.. For instance, lifting up skirts and wondering around childrens playground equipment :unsure:

True enough, and those caches aren't particularly good for our activity, either. But acting weird in a place where people gather to grieve is tasteless and insensitive.

True enough, and those caches aren't particularly good for our activity, either. But acting weird in a place where people gather to grieve is tasteless and insensitive.

The cemetery in the picture looks QUITE old. I could be wrong though. I placed a cache in Willamette National Cemetery. Its a very active cemetery and I have not received any complaints (hopefully because it was tastefully done). The final location was far away from any grave stones, but you were required to visit a site to obtain information. I dunno, I guess each situation is different.

Threads like this one come around quite frequently. They typically start with something like:

"I was out caching and came across _______ type of hide. I hate these. It makes me mad that I am made to find _______ caches. Therefore, we need to get rid of all _______ caches."

In response to these posts, the standard responses are given:

"I agree, _________ caches are awful. They should be banninated."

"I like them."

"If you don't like ________ caches, don't do them."

While it's true that you can't always avoid the caches that you don't like (although this one would be pretty darn easy to identify), we each have the authority to abort any cache hunt at any time. If a person hates cemetery caches, he should not follow the arrow into a cemetery. If a person doesn't want to climb a tree, he should not climb a tree.

Edited by sbell111