Traveling to the UK - Can you recommend caches?

Henki

I will be in the UK for 3 weeks starting mid-May, and I intend to do a few caches while there. My daughter groaned when I mentioned this, fearing we wouldn’t get to see or do anything else. As my caching time WILL be limited, I’m trying to find listings for caches that will take us someplace interesting that we might miss otherwise. For instance, I found this one, Tiny Old Church, which looks pretty cool and is not far from where we’ll be staying.

Can any of you recommend others similar to this in the following areas?

ENGLAND:

London

Devizes – daytrips to Stonehenge, Avebury, Silbury Hill (I already bookmarked the virtuals for those places); Bath, Wells, Glastonbury

WALES:

Cardiff (1 day only, to see St. Fagans)

Chepstow, Monmouthshire

Llandridod Wells (1 night only)

Conwy

SCOTLAND:

Edinburgh

Thanks for any advice! :unsure:

Henki

Edited by Henki

If you want to do a cache that takes you on a trail around Chepstow, then I would (modestly :unsure: ) suggest Border Town Walk. A couple of miles further up the River Wye there are plenty of caches in scenic spots around Tintern and Monmouth. However, if you want to do something a bit different while in the area I would highly recommend The Wye Valley Ghost Train The pics on the cache's gallery page will explain all. :lol:

At St Fagan's you can do the excellent multi cache Afternoon Ty.

MrsB

Edited by The Blorenges

If you are definitely staying in Conwy then there are at least three there that are ideal for you - almost cache and dashes close to the castle so you can combine sight seeing with caching.

There are loads of other fab ones in the North Wales region - will you be driving about or travelling by train? My brother is into caching and is based near Conwy so will check with him if there are any others he highly recommends for those people limited on time.

Also If you havent sorted out accomodation there yet contact me direct as family own a B&B in Conwy.

Mel

I live 4 miles (7 Km) from Conwy. Get in contact if you want a pointer. Little Old Church is an interesting one. Highest point in Conwy is good. Deganwy Castle has truly excellent views of Conwy and the river estuary. All fairly quick to do. As to other caches it depends how much you venture up and down the north Wales coast. Stone Lions up on the Menai Straits is always popular.

As to other caches it depends how much you venture up and down the north Wales coast. Stone Lions up on the Menai Straits is always popular.

I would also strongly recommend the Lion in Wait cache if you are traveling further along the N Wales coast, the lions are amazing.

8be51f49-4c80-4888-a0c3-714eb5e86692.jpg

There are a few other nice caches along the Menai straights too, The Charlesworth Family Seat and my Step UP Over the Menai.

Enjoy your visit :unsure:

Phil

Ooh, y’all are giving some good recommendations. The cache page for Ghost Train has me spooked! This is something we can do during the day, isn’t it? I’ll be leaving my husband at home for this trip and traveling with just my mom and my daughter. I’d hate to get us lost out there at night.

We will have a car once we leave London for Devizes, and we’ll have it all through Wales, dropping it off at the Manchester airport before flying to Edinburgh. If you live in these areas, you may want to stay off the roads 21 May – 30 May as I’ve never driven on the “wrong” side of the road before, at least not intentionally. My husband’s somewhat convinced I’ll wipe out 3 generations of our family in one trip, but I’m determined to prove him wrong.

Mel - We have reservations at a B&B in Conwy for 3 nights; wish I had known your family had a place there. I searched for a while before I found accommodations. I’d love recommendations for caches in the area, though.

We’ll be driving up to Conwy from Llandridod Wells (after spending just 1 day in Hay on Wye for the book fest), and plan to explore the areas of Snowdonia and Caernarfon (apologies for misspellings) and possibly Anglesey.

The lions look cool! Are the Menai Straits near Anglesey? We had heard that there are some interesting old Celtic items there, but I haven’t found anything to tell me what we’d see there and where we’d find it. My daughter is very interested in Celtic mythology, ancient ruins, and the like.

Unfortunately we won’t be able to do The Charlesworth Family Seat if it’s only open on weekends; we’ll only be in that area during the week.

When we leave the UK, we’ll head to Ireland and spend one night on Inis Mor; I see that there’s one traditional and one virtual cache on the island. Then we’ll pick up another car on our way out of Galway, drive to Lisdoonvarna, and spend the next 2 days driving around County Clare. I don’t know if any of you know of good caches in those areas of Ireland or not, but if you do, please pass them along.

Thank you!

We’ll be driving up to Conwy from Llandridod Wells (after spending just 1 day in Hay on Wye for the book fest), and plan to explore the areas of Snowdonia and Caernarfon (apologies for misspellings) and possibly Anglesey.

The lions look cool! Are the Menai Straits near Anglesey? We had heard that there are some interesting old Celtic items there, but I haven’t found anything to tell me what we’d see there and where we’d find it. My daughter is very interested in Celtic mythology, ancient ruins, and the like.

First of all your spellings are fine! :o

The Menai Straits is the body of the water that separates the Isle of Anglesey and the mainland of Britain. You can see on the photo that geo_phil has posted a bridge above the lions. This is the new road bridge that was built in the late 70s (and hid the lions from view) and you will almost most definitely be crossing that bridge to get to Anglesey.

Celtic sights - you need to go to Anglesey. The Welsh name for Anglesey, Ynys Mon, translates as Mother Isle. Its where the last stronghold of the ancient Welsh druids were (before the Romans came in and slew them them!) So on Anglesey there are quite a lot of ancient tombs, standing stones, settlements etc etc. Not many caches though.... :) Still, Church in the Sea is a nice location though, located on the west coast of Anglesey.

If you like old churchs, in the Chepstow / Wye Valley area try these:

Any around Tintern Abbey, my favourite is The Devil's Pulpit.

St. James Around the Bend

A View To Die For

Penterry Panorama

Any starting at Newland's Catherdral of the Forest such as Tractor Hill

Don't be fooled into thinking The Cathedral in the Forest is a building (although it is a good cache).

There are also several caches around Chepstow, St. Briavels, Clearwell* and Goodrich Castles in the same stretch.

Sorry if I missed any. The Wye Valley tourist board is now closed. :o

* Not a real castle.

So many great looking caches and so little time! Thank you all for the suggestions, and special thanks to Haggis Hunter for the emailed recommendations, including the bus route for getting to Rosslyn Chapel. We have a great list to work from now, and I can't wait to get over there. FYI The beautiful photos posted to the cache logs are great incentive to get others to do some of thee caches - so much nicer than the multitude of micros in parking lots we have around here.

scottpa - Anglesey is definitely on the list of must-sees, thanks to you. The word "Druid" perked up my daughter's ears! Church in the Sea looks great; we'll have to try to do that one when we're there.

SidAndBob - The Devil's Pulpit was already on our list. Tintern Abbey is our main reason for staying in Chepstow. Cathedral in the Forest looks amazing. Y'all have got some gorgeous countryside; I've wanted to visit these areas for most of my life and I have a feeling I won't want to leave. (By the way, is your user name the names of your dogs? Ours is, too.)

Thank you all again! :anicute:

As mentioned by The Blorenges, Afternoon Ty is an absolute must. As you're going to St. Fagans already, this excellent multi-cache will be a perfect way of ensuring that you'll see almost every corner of the museum as it really does take you pretty much everywhere.

Be aware that the final part may pose a slight problem as you have to ask for the cache - in Welsh! The person who normally looks after that location is well aware of the cache however on the two occasions I went there last year, there was a temporary member of staff there and I had to describe exactly what I was looking for (tupperware tub with a collection of seemingly random objects!)

For anyone else visiting St Fagans, you may be interested in <A HREF="http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=489c6ec4-15a7-4188-bbcb-447ee644b2db">GCZR18 - St. Teilo's Mission Treasure</A>. Here you'll see the location of St. Teilo's Church - minus the church which has recently just completed relocating to St. Fagans.

If you have time, I can also recommend Tiger Bay Toddle (GCYM0R) which is about 10-15 minutes away from St Fagans by car with plenty of parking nearby. This will take you around the beautiful and recently redeveloped Cardiff Bay area and shouldn't really take more than an hour.