Software for hiking routes, elevation charts, etc

ItsGForMe

Yes, I'm new at this. I've been geocaching (in an urban setting) for a couple of months (just passed 100 finds...woot!) and I'm a casual hiker.

I've recorded tracks for a couple of my hikes lately and I'd like to transfer them over to my PC and get all geeky overlaying them onto maps and getting details about the hikes (chief among them would be things like elevation charts showing how high and how fast I climbed).

What software do you all use for doing this? Any best practices or recommendations?

Thanks!

Dan

What GPS unit do you have?

What, if any, GPS software to you currently have?

Sorry, I guess I should have added that.

I have an eTrex Vista HCx. Right now, I use GSAK to load geocaches and I have a bunch of Garmin maps I've purchased (city navigator and some topo maps). I don't use any other software on the PC side now...that's what I'm asking about here...

You can download the tracks from the GPS unit into MapSource which will show the elevation data. Just don't save them to the unit before you transfer them to MapSource or the data will be stripped.

There are also third party software products like GPS Track Maker that will allow additional manipulation.

You can also use Garmin's MotionBased website to view the data.

I use Mapsource. After each "caching adventure," I send the Waypoints and Tracks from my GPS unit to the computer and save that file with the date and location. I don't save the Tracks on my GPS unit.

Then, I use the "Print Screen" function of my computer, coupled with a graphics program, to get images like this for a hike I made yesterday. icon_smile_tongue.gif

ec29a553-6405-4aa2-93b0-c483707ffda4.jpg

A fun site you can upload .gpx files to is Magnalog where you can tell the story of your hike.