Does anyone have an international

UOTrackers

I'm just looking for something rather generic as I don't know how to maneuver my way around the USPS site. Something like 2oz FC mail to Australia is $1.81 (I have no idea if that's right so don't use it) I just thought it would be helpful if there was something like this. Thanks

In general it cost $.90 per oz for all international shipping except Canada fro the US. This is for first class flats and was previously called Air Letter Post.

Team Sand Dollar

I wish there was something standard, but at my post office there are 3 different clerks and each one charges the packages differently. Just using domestic shipping and one coin as an example, one lady charges me $1.30 per package, another lady charges me $1.13 per package and the guy charges me about $0.97 per package. The guy sends the packages as letters and the ladies send them as packages. It gets really annoying at times.

Right from the USPS site here is the definition of First Class:

dimensions - Rectangular

At least 3-1/2 inches high X 5 inches long X .007 inch thick

No more than 6-1/8 inches high X 11-1/2 inches long X 1/4 inch thick

Maximum weight is 3.5 ounces

Letters that are considered nonmachinable are subject to a surcharge.

Length is the dimension parallel to the address.

Now - a 2 oz bubble mailer at $0.90/per ounce would be $1.80 for a 2 oz mailer.

The only problem is if it exceeds the 1/4 thick or will not go through the machines. They probably don't want to cancel the postage. One way around that is to print the postage on line but you must make sure your scales are correct.

I find the appreciation of those overseas who can purchase, trade or receive coins from here far outweighs the inconvenience, if any, at the local post office. Sometimes you need to go in with the rules to show them you know what is correct. The USPS web site is not hard to navigate and you can even do customs slips on line.

I wish there was something standard, but at my post office there are 3 different clerks and each one charges the packages differently. Just using domestic shipping and one coin as an example, one lady charges me $1.30 per package, another lady charges me $1.13 per package and the guy charges me about $0.97 per package. The guy sends the packages as letters and the ladies send them as packages. It gets really annoying at times.

There is a standard. I don't work for USPS but have worked shipping (small home business) for years.

It appears your clerks all have had different training. Happens in my small post office too when we have the Postmaster (one man office) shuffle......or a fill in.

If it is a bubble mailer and meets the standards of the definition (see my previous post), it is not a package. Even a package may be sent First Class mail. Where it changes is the depth over 1/4" and whether they interpret whether it may go through a machine.

You are totally correct - very annoying and frustrating when they all do it differently. I usually have my packages all weighed and know what the charge should be.........we have debated more than once. Usually for a dime or so it's not worth holding things up. Some, however, have been debates over as much as several dollars - now that is worth it!

Coins shouldn't ship for big prices unless there are a lot in the envelope, folks want insurance, there is tracking, folks are charging for their supplies or Priority or Express is desired.

While we are on the subject - postage is going up!!!! Very soon. :lol: The best deal you can get is to go buy a lot of those stamps for $0.41 which will always be able to be used at the going First Class rate of the day. Also, some of the ways to print postage on line you do get discounts.

Hope this doesn't get bumped off thread as we are all talking about shipping coins! :unsure:

I have a shipping question also. Here in the UK there's not much in the way of variety for buying geocoins, and so the best options are Germany or the US. Any idea on customs and tax? Customs absolutely loves taxing items from the US and even though a couple of coins aught to be worth less than the taxable limit. What are the liklihoods of them being deemed more valuable and thus taxed?

I'm asking as I'd like to get a couple of coins next rather than more travel bugs!

I have a shipping question also. Here in the UK there's not much in the way of variety for buying geocoins, and so the best options are Germany or the US. Any idea on customs and tax? Customs absolutely loves taxing items from the US and even though a couple of coins aught to be worth less than the taxable limit. What are the liklihoods of them being deemed more valuable and thus taxed?

I'm asking as I'd like to get a couple of coins next rather than more travel bugs!

When shipping over seas for the US I always mark the Custom form as gift and put the value a $5 per coin. By keeping the value to a minimal amount I am trying to limit the tax the recipient might have to pay.

What is the limit where they start taxing you and how much is it? Just wondering.

Team Sand Dollar

I'd slightly disagree, there are some coins onsale in the UK, both from the individuals who have had them made and from a company called UKGeocachers. On the E place there are numerous coins on sale from Europe.

I agree though for maximum variety and choice that USA & Canada are the places to be looking to make purchases.

Customs on a small coin order = no problem. They are marked as game tokens or game pieces and sent as a gift.

I have only ever paid import duty on one set of coins that I purchased from a private seller who overlooked marking the package as above and on that occasion I paid almost the equivalent of the coin value in tax.

I wouldn't worry though if you are buying just a few coins at a time, and many sellers here manage to get them to you within a week.

I notice you are pretty new to this sport / game / hobby / obsession of ours, if you keep your eyes open on the coin forums you'll see notice of coins for sale pretty frequently, and also links to Groundspeak approved sellers via their site.

Oh, one last thing ... that first coin is the first step on the road to addiction! :o

...and a very last thing I notice you;re just up the road, how come you haven't done any of my caches yet? :)

Hehe, thanks all for the info!

I've seen a few coins on UK sites, but wasn't really fussed about the designs I saw. A little silly really considering I'd only be leaving it in a cache somewhere probably never to be seen again!

I've fallen in love with the LOTR style coins coming up on a german site, but sadly they're out of stock! At least now I know that international shipping shouldn't be an issue!

I'll get round to doing your caches at some point Dorsetgal, honest! I introduced my sister to the hobby yesterday and she's now hooked! I just have the challenge of juggling caching with working on my dissertation. It's a great stress relief and exercise after being at a computer all day for a week!

I'd slightly disagree, there are some coins onsale in the UK, both from the individuals who have had them made and from a company called UKGeocachers. On the E place there are numerous coins on sale from Europe.

I agree though for maximum variety and choice that USA & Canada are the places to be looking to make purchases.

Customs on a small coin order = no problem. They are marked as game tokens or game pieces and sent as a gift.

I have only ever paid import duty on one set of coins that I purchased from a private seller who overlooked marking the package as above and on that occasion I paid almost the equivalent of the coin value in tax.

I wouldn't worry though if you are buying just a few coins at a time, and many sellers here manage to get them to you within a week.

I notice you are pretty new to this sport / game / hobby / obsession of ours, if you keep your eyes open on the coin forums you'll see notice of coins for sale pretty frequently, and also links to Groundspeak approved sellers via their site.

Oh, one last thing ... that first coin is the first step on the road to addiction! :o

...and a very last thing I notice you;re just up the road, how come you haven't done any of my caches yet? :)