Downloading waypoints by name, not number

BiPR

OK, so I'm not an engineer. I use Garmin Mapsource and download waypoints in GPX format. But it means nothing to me when I get a bunch of wapoints identified only by ID number (e.g., GCVF6Y). I then have to cross-reference each waypoint, go back to geocaching.com, look it up for the name (e.g., Muddy Creek), and change the waypoint name in my map or GPS. The name helps me recall what I've read about the cache, where it might be located (in terms of parks, terrain, etc.), what its special features might be, and so on.

Is there a way to set preferences to download waypoints in words? Even "MudCrk" would be helpful (or use whatever language is native to the cache's region). I understand a unique code is essential somewhere in the system, but can that be secondary in user interface?

BTW, remember in the mid-'90s when Compuserve first assigned email users an address that was only numbers? Remember how that was a bad idea for all non-engineers in the world? Same thing....

On behalf of the English majors, artists, social scientists, and all the right-brained people of the world,

Thanks!

Edited by BiPR

As a premium member you can download Pocket Queries full of cache information. You can then use a program like Geocaching Swiss Army Knife to manipulate that data so that it can be downloaded to your unit in a different format. The code you are looking for in GSAK is %smart% for the name field.

Also you sound like you could benefit from buying a used palm or PPC device to carry all of the cache details with you out in the field. You can pick one up for about $35. Great way to have all of the listing details with you wherever you go. Try seaching for paperless caching.

That's right. GSAK's "smart name" feature allows you to get a truly useful name on your GPS unit. This is the code I use for the Waypoint name:

%smart=9 %con1%typ1%dif1%ter1

This includes part of the Name, the Size of the container, the Type of cache (Traditional, Multi, Virtual, Puzzle), the Difficulty and Terrain (based on a 10-point scale).

To get part of the hint, I use this code in the Waypoint Description blank:

%Name=10 %hint

Because some people I cache with still use the GC code, I add that "smart name" option to the Custom POIs, which have more characters in the description. For the .gpx Export for Custom POIs, I use this "smart name" code, but you can mix and match the codes anyway you want.

%Name %By %Hint %Code

OK, so I'm not an engineer. I use Garmin Mapsource and download waypoints in GPX format. But it means nothing to me when I get a bunch of wapoints identified only by ID number (e.g., GCVF6Y). I then have to cross-reference each waypoint, go back to geocaching.com, look it up for the name (e.g., Muddy Creek), and change the waypoint name in my map or GPS. The name helps me recall what I've read about the cache, where it might be located (in terms of parks, terrain, etc.), what its special features might be, and so on.

Is there a way to set preferences to download waypoints in words? Even "MudCrk" would be helpful (or use whatever language is native to the cache's region). I understand a unique code is essential somewhere in the system, but can that be secondary in user interface?

BTW, remember in the mid-'90s when Compuserve first assigned email users an address that was only numbers? Remember how that was a bad idea for all non-engineers in the world? Same thing....

On behalf of the English majors, artists, social scientists, and all the right-brained people of the world,

Thanks!

Cache name aren't unique. Waypoint IDs are. What type of GPS do you have? Many have a "note" field that can contain the actual cache name. You may already have the name info in the GPS, and not know it.

Cache name aren't unique. Waypoint IDs are. What type of GPS do you have? Many have a "note" field that can contain the actual cache name. You may already have the name info in the GPS, and not know it.

I was confused by the OP request until I read Prime Suspect's reply. I use a Garmin and can send cache information directly from the cache page to my GPSr via a USB connection. No 3rd party software, super fast & easy, and it includes both the cache name and number as well as the coords. I guess I have been taking this functionality for granted and just assumed most folks worked this way. It might be worth checking into this option if you want a super-easy solution.

:drama:

It should also be remembered that the site must cater for the large number of GPS units which cannot accept waypoint IDs longer than 6 characters.

Unfortunately, those with 6 character GPS units lost out when the site went to GC10000 on December 26, 2006. Waypoint names (GC*) now have 7 characters.

It should also be remembered that the site must cater for the large number of GPS units which cannot accept waypoint IDs longer than 6 characters.

Unfortunately, those with 6 character GPS units lost out when the site went to GC10000 on December 26, 2006. Waypoint names (GC*) now have 7 characters.

Man am I ever glad that my bulky old Meridian Gold shows the cache name.

The only thing that I request is that when downloading waypoints from the cache page here on gc.com, is that it dropped the GC at the beginning of each listing. That way searching for a specific cache would be easier. For Example, If you have 50 waypoints that start with GC, you have to scroll down thru the listing until you find the one you're looking for. If you know that it starts with K, you can put in K and it'll start at K.

Also, this option would re-allow the older units with a 6 character max.(at least til sometime next year...projected).

I.e. GC12345 would read 12345. GC102AC would read 102AC GCZZZZZ would read ZZZZZ GC123456 would read 123456(when we get there)

The Steaks

Thanks for all the suggestions. I wasn't familiar with GSAK and the others. BTW, I have an old Palm Zire 31 - I wonder if that would hold the PDA info. I use a Garmin eTrex Legend for caching (I had to get a USB adapter because it's designed for serial port connection). I haven't found hidden smart names on it, but maybe it's in there...? I'd like being able to have the clue and cache size/difficulty too!

Agreed, I was assuming everybody was dropping the "GC" these days. It's even worse for additional waypoints which also have 7 characters but are harder to trim to 6 while remaining unique. At least it is all deliberate as all of this was discussed while the new numbering system was being designed. :D

... I use Garmin Mapsource and download waypoints in GPX format. ...

If you've downloaded the file from geocaching.com then you have the info you need.

Mapsource lets you pick symbol/comment instead of symbol/name for dispay on the map (right click on the waypoint and pick waypoint properties). If you want all the information, you'll need the GPX format.

I don't have my GPSr here, but there should be a way to do the same when you send data to the device.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I wasn't familiar with GSAK and the others. BTW, I have an old Palm Zire 31 - I wonder if that would hold the PDA info. I use a Garmin eTrex Legend for caching (I had to get a USB adapter because it's designed for serial port connection). I haven't found hidden smart names on it, but maybe it's in there...? I'd like being able to have the clue and cache size/difficulty too!

The Palm Zire will work just fine for caching, although I think that is the model that is hard to see in bright sunlight. You can get the "smart names" on your Legend if you use GSAK to send the information to it. When I Export the information for my Palm from GSAK, I use the same "smart name" codes so the Waypoints are the same on my GPS and my Palm. That is helpful in case I need to look up the cache by Waypoint code instead of by name, useful for those pesky caches that begin with "The" or "A". :rolleyes:

Agreed, I was assuming everybody was dropping the "GC" these days. It's even worse for additional waypoints which also have 7 characters but are harder to trim to 6 while remaining unique. At least it is all deliberate as all of this was discussed while the new numbering system was being designed. :lol:

I for one do not COMPLETELY strip off the GC, but rather just the "C" of "GC". I also add "D1T1" to the end (where the number is a 1-9 representation of the 1-5 stars).

However, there are several other GPS-based activities in which I participate to varying degrees, all of which have their own naming convention.

• I have parking coordinates, which strips off the "C" from "GC" and appends "-PRK" onto the end.
  • Geodashing uses GD80-**** (where the two digit number is the current month's game number.
  • Geovexilla uses VX14-**** (where the two digit number is a sequential dataset of 456,976 points.
  • And I also have various other standard waypoints (RAINBO, DGUMC, EDWARD, HOPEPB, etc.)

So every waypoint in my GPS that starts with "G" or "V" is part of a GPS-based game. All others are "other stuff".

Works for me, but your mileage may vary...

I for one do not COMPLETELY strip off the GC, but rather just the "C" of "GC". I also add "D1T1" to the end (where the number is a 1-9 representation of the 1-5 stars).

For added brevity, eliminate the "D" & "T" and have just the final two numbers be the "D" & "T" implicitly. I assume you are saying that a "2" would be translated to "1.5" if using 1-9 (which is a great idea).