GPS for a beginner

AngelPick

New to this lark. have a question, searched the net and browsed this site for a handheld GPS. OMG, how many exist!!!

So, where does a newbie start, obviously don't want to spend a fortune but what is the best GPS for someone like me?

Got loads of Caches near my home and work but can't really start looking for them yet.

Any help appreciated please.

New to this lark. have a question, searched the net and browsed this site for a handheld GPS. OMG, how many exist!!!

My thoughts on the subject.

So, where does a newbie start, obviously don't want to spend a fortune but what is the best GPS for someone like me?

Pretend we don't know someone like you, and describe what you intend to do with the GPSr. This will help the thread along.

Got loads of Caches near my home and work but can't really start looking for them yet.

Many people find caches using Google Maps or similar.

I've got a couple of more expensive GPS units and they work fine for caching, but the one that gets me to the right place most of the time is a Lowrance iFinder Go2 -- I think it was $80 or so. The mapping feature is pretty poor (ie slow to update, zoom, etc...), and the interface is confusing, but once you get it set up you use the navigation 'page' to get you near the cache, then switch over to the page that displays the coordinates, comparing them to the cache coordinates. More than once I've nearly stepped on or ran into the cache it was so accurate. The battery life is also very good and its a pretty small unit.

http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Outdoors/iFINDER-GO2/

Welcome to the Forums! :unsure:

You didn't say what you budget is . . . And, I'm not sure how much a Garmin Legend HCx or Vista HCx would be over there, but those are excellent GPS units that you can use for Geocaching, as well as for auto-routing, with the optional maps installed.

If you don't want to spend that much, check out the other 'H' units on Garmin's comparison page. Some of the less-expensive models connect with the Serial Port which is fine, if your computer has one. But, if you have a newer computer that doesn't have a Serial Port, you might want to make sure that whatever GPSr you choose connects with USB.

Welcome to the Forums! :unsure:

You didn't say what you budget is . . . And, I'm not sure how much a Garmin Legend HCx or Vista HCx would be over there, but those are excellent GPS units that you can use for Geocaching, as well as for auto-routing, with the optional maps installed.

If you don't want to spend that much, check out the other 'H' units on Garmin's comparison page. Some of the less-expensive models connect with the Serial Port which is fine, if your computer has one. But, if you have a newer computer that doesn't have a Serial Port, you might want to make sure that whatever GPSr you choose connects with USB.

Another question I have is, How important is it to have an sd card. Is 24 mb built in enough ?

zane

I used a GPSr with 24 MB of memory for more than two years until I upgraded to the Vista HCx. That was plenty for the kind of caching I do, and even when I drove back and forth from California to Colorado, I just periodically uploaded new mapsets, from my laptop, for the area I was traveling towards.

FOr me, the main benefit to the Vista HCx was the 1000-waypoint limit, instead of only 500, and the Custom POIs, which are very cool. :unsure:

I may be from Texas, but i am a show me how learner. How easy or hard is the vista to learn?

Basic operation of the Vista you can learn in minutes. More advanced operations will take you a good bit longer. You will find that the Vista is a great unit that will grow with you the more you learn.

Thanks Rick. I guess I will quit aiming and shoot. Now to find where to get it. ( or can I wait long enough to order it. ) probably not!

Look around you should be able to get a Vista HCX for about $250 or a Vista CX for about $200 from several of the reputable online sellers. After you have used it a while you may want to get City Navigator Software if you want or need auto routing. Good luck and I know you will enjoy it.

Welcome to the Forums! :huh:

Another question I have is, How important is it to have an sd card. Is 24 mb built in enough ?

zane

Budget £100 unless I can get it as a birthday present

My thoughts on the subject.

Pretend we don't know someone like you, and describe what you intend to do with the GPSr. This will help the thread along.

Many people find caches using Google Maps or similar.

Ever tried searching suburban London without a GPS? Google Maps is good but the difference between seeing it on a map and finding that location?

Thanks anyway