Request for new attribute

wheresbob

I would really like to see a new attribute added under the hazards heading for wild animals. I know here on Vancouver Island and most of the west coast there is alot of bears, cougars, and coyotes in the area. It would be nice to make people aware of this before they go searching for the cache concerned, as they may decide to better equip or travel in a small group for safety. Thanks.

While there are warning attributes for livestock, snakes and ticks, there's none for large animals that can eat you. I believe this should be factored into the difficulty rating for the cache. For example, the terrain could be a level rails to trails (1.5 stars), but the cougar lying in wait behind the obvious stump where the ammo can is hidden would raise the difficulty from a 1.5 to at least 3 stars. Or 5 stars if the hider's name is Vinny.

VA3HST, i have just typed the information onto the cache page for now, warning cachers that wild animals do pass through here. But i just think it would be a good idea to have a wild animal attribute. I mean really, why would it be any different from the ticks and livestock one, you could technically just type that onto the cache page too.. it just makes it easier having the attribute there to prepare cachers. And The Leprechauns, i think you have a valid point haha, although around its it can be a pretty serious subject and not so much a laughing matter. I just think it would be good so that people can either travel in groups, or bring some sort of protection if they so choose. Thanks.

Frankly, I would think anyone caching in your area ought to be aware that there is the potential for large predators in that particular environment. In our part of the country, you can actually encounter a bear right in your own back yard, so having such an attribute would be kind of redundant., Now if there was a "bees" attribute...that might be useful. Bees are sneaky and it would be nice to know they are generally found at the cache site. And if one happens to have a bee-sting allergy, bees are just as deadly as cougars and bears.

Frankly, I would think anyone caching in your area ought to be aware that there is the potential for large predators in that particular environment. In our part of the country, you can actually encounter a bear right in your own back yard, so having such an attribute would be kind of redundant., Now if there was a "bees" attribute...that might be useful. Bees are sneaky and it would be nice to know they are generally found at the cache site. And if one happens to have a bee-sting allergy, bees are just as deadly as cougars and bears.

"in your area" yes. But, remember that people travel to other parts of the country/world to cache and aren't aware of possible dangers from wild animals. So, a "Dangerous Animals" attribute just might be a very good idea.

I'm not against a wild animals attribute, but I really can't remember the last time I really looked over the icons on a page before heading out to a cache. I do read the cache page, however. So I would notice much more quickly if you wrote about the wild things in the cache page than if you added an icon.

There is also a poison ivy and stickers attribute . I have to agree that if these two things are important that a "dangerous animals" (NOT "wild animals", which will certainly be abused) attribute would be a no-brainer. It isn't just about looking at the attribute icons, but about what you can query for (or against) in a PQ. Even more important when you realize that oftentimes areas with dangerous animals are also the same types of places that attract naive tourists.

Thank you W8TTS and knowschad, you guys seem to be the only two people taking this seriously. I was thinking along the same lines of tourists or people from other areas that dont have a danger of these types of animals. I definately agree with the "dangerous animals" attribute name. Thats more less what i meant, just couldnt think of it at the time. The "bees" attribute would also apply to the area over here as well so i agree on that too. It just seems like these would be more important than some of the other attributes listed, thats all. Its not like im pushing it, i just thought it was a good suggestion.

Thank you W8TTS and knowschad, you guys seem to be the only two people taking this seriously. I was thinking along the same lines of tourists or people from other areas that dont have a danger of these types of animals. I definately agree with the "dangerous animals" attribute name. Thats more less what i meant, just couldnt think of it at the time. The "bees" attribute would also apply to the area over here as well so i agree on that too. It just seems like these would be more important than some of the other attributes listed, thats all. Its not like im pushing it, i just thought it was a good suggestion.

While I do think your suggestion has value, I must add that you probably wouldn't mind too much to see terrible things happen to those tourists. OH WAIT... I GET IT NOW!! You want to use the "No Dangerous Animals" attribute in those grizzly bear feeding areas to ATTRACT the naive tourists! Clever, dude! You're so smart.

(so, while I do take your suggestion seriously, please don't take that too seriously)

Edited by knowschad

"in your area" yes. But, remember that people travel to other parts of the country/world to cache and aren't aware of possible dangers from wild animals. So, a "Dangerous Animals" attribute just might be a very good idea.

As an example I have been to Alberta 3 times (with the army), never needed to have a brief on the animals that could eat me. When colleagues went into the Rockies for adventure training they got fully briefed about the cute and cuddly bears that can eat you.

The locals generally know the immediate dangers, but visitors most certainly won't!

I would really like to see a new attribute added under the hazards heading for wild animals. I know here on Vancouver Island and most of the west coast there is alot of bears, cougars, and coyotes in the area. It would be nice to make people aware of this before they go searching for the cache concerned, as they may decide to better equip or travel in a small group for safety. Thanks.

There is also a lot of hillbillies out in the woods like those guys from "Deliverance." I think we should have an attribute warning us of those guys, too.

How about a simple letter "D" (short for Deliverance of course) on the regular attribute icon. This would be helpful and serve as a warning to cachers to look out for guys named Bubba who live in the woods.

Edited by GrnXnham