Yakima Cache Machine II

travisl

Like some other traveling cachers, I'm a Choice Hotels member (love those free reward nights), and I just made my reservation for two nights at:

Quality Inn (WA718)

12 E. Valley Mall Blvd. , Yakima, WA, US, 98903

Phone: (509) 248-6924 Toll-Free: (800) 510-5670

The Econo Lodge is a cheaper option, but I stayed at one last week that was a bit...lacking.

I have stayed at the Motel 6 in Yakima a couple of times, and found it to be better than their average -- reasonably clean, quiet, and wasn't worried about my car in the parking lot. There are also a couple of nearby hotels with open WIFI connections that you can pick up. Pet friendly, and no extra charge for pets. Looks like the price is around $50 per night.

I stayed at the Yakima Motel 6 at YCM I; it was OK. I stayed at the Richland Motel 6 for the Tri-Cities CM, though, and vowed never again after finding a wet towel in my bed -- the hard way.

A local cacher is looking at group rates at the Yakima Red Lion for us. I'll report back here when I hear from them.

FWIW, a recent report at BetterBidding.com said that Priceline is selling rooms at the Clarion for $41.

I'm glad you brought the subject up about group rates, I was wondering about the same thing. Also, I know one is usually required to " check in" before a certain time. Was wondering how we do that when we'll be on the road.

If you have a reservation, most hotels will hold your room until late evening if you request late check-in. Easy peasy. Since I usually arrive the night before, it's even easier. :laughing:

Draft 2 of the main route and micro route are posted. Thanks to Jeepinfool, Caliber, BlacksharkXP, and DannyandMal (and anyone else I forgot).

Changes include:

- Added GC19H01 (Peanut Butter Revisited)

- Moved micros GC176EY (Beginning of Myron Lake) and GCKC9E (Nowhere to be seen!) to main route

- Removed

- GC180B8 Currency Exchange (archived)

- GC413F Chukar Amphitheater (hike)

- GCM8V2 Glory Hole (hike)

- Redid micro route

Edited by travisl

How about Bridge over Troubled waters (GC19J32)?

Since it's not on the route currently, I'm assuming you are suggesting it be added?

It sounds from the cache page and previous logs that that cache is highly visible and I seriously doubt that 50-100 people in one day visiting it would be good for keeping it hidden.

I wouldn't think it would be a good choice.

Draft 2 of the main route and micro route are posted. Thanks to Jeepinfool, Caliber, BlacksharkXP, and DannyandMal (and anyone else I forgot).

Changes include:

- Added GC19H01 (Peanut Butter Revisited)

- Moved micros GC176EY (Beginning of Myron Lake) and GCKC9E (Nowhere to be seen!) to main route

- Removed

- GC180B8 Currency Exchange (archived)

- GC413F Chukar Amphitheater (hike)

- GCM8V2 Glory Hole (hike)

- Redid micro route

Nowhere to be seen is a tough micro, at least it has been for us so far. It is also about a 5-10 minute walk from the correct parking area - once you find the correct parking area. If this cache is found pretty quickly it is most of 30 minutes round trip and not other caches are near it. It "looks" like it is close to another cache but they can't be accessed from the same path. Don't know if this info is useful but I thought I would toss it out.

Nowhere to be seen is a tough micro, at least it has been for us so far. It is also about a 5-10 minute walk from the correct parking area - once you find the correct parking area.
What is the typical limit you try to use for the time it takes to get from parking to the cache location?
Usually if it's more than 0.25 miles from parking to the cache, I skip it. I'm making an exception this time (it's 0.38 as the crow flies) because there's three caches in one stop, and I have the unusual benefit this time of having actually done Copycat #3, and I remember that it's a good one.

I only have my cranky five-year-old log to vaguely remind me of the parking spot. It looks to me, from the Google satellite photos, that the parking is very near Beginning of Myron Lake. That corresponds with my comment about crossing the railroad tracks.

It "looks" like it is close to another cache but they can't be accessed from the same path.

Which other cache are you talking about? It looks to me like it's close to Copycat #3; are you saying you can't get there from here?

Just posted some updated info to the event page:

• Friday, March 28, at 7:00 p.m., last minute changes will be announced at an informal pre-event dinner at Eddy's Grand Buffet, 19 E. Yakima Ave. N 46° 36.138, W 120° 30.410
  • Saturday during the event, Caliber is hosting a hot dog pit stop in the Yakima River Canyon at N 46° 45.851, W 120° 27.407. Be there between 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.

Caliber's doing a good amount of work on this one; he's even notified the Yakima PD on my behalf. Guys like him make planning these events fun and easy. :laughing:

Nowhere to be seen is a tough micro, at least it has been for us so far. It is also about a 5-10 minute walk from the correct parking area - once you find the correct parking area.
What is the typical limit you try to use for the time it takes to get from parking to the cache location?
Usually if it's more than 0.25 miles from parking to the cache, I skip it. I'm making an exception this time (it's 0.38 as the crow flies) because there's three caches in one stop, and I have the unusual benefit this time of having actually done Copycat #3, and I remember that it's a good one.

I only have my cranky five-year-old log to vaguely remind me of the parking spot. It looks to me, from the Google satellite photos, that the parking is very near Beginning of Myron Lake. That corresponds with my comment about crossing the railroad tracks.

It "looks" like it is close to another cache but they can't be accessed from the same path.

Which other cache are you talking about? It looks to me like it's close to Copycat #3; are you saying you can't get there from here?

Yes, I am talking about Copycat #3. They are not accessible from the same trail unless you are willing to get very wet and dirty. Parking is the same but you need to use a different approach for Nowhere to be seen, and it isn't obvious. I would estimate the walking distance between Copycat and Nowhere is at least .5 miles. I don't want to give it away so you can email me if you want more details. wrastro@blarg.net

Just booked a trip home to WA state for the week leading up to the event, and am flying out of PDX at 10:55 PM the day of the event (which I just now bumped into when looking for events in WA while I'm in state, doh!)

Growing up in Longview and Seattle, was always great to take a break from the grey drizzle and head across the mountain pass to sunshine and warmth in the Yakima Valley, boy am I looking forward to a return visit as a cacher (not having been back home since catching the caching bug about a year ago)

Since I'll be coming from out of state, the only cachers I'm likely to know are those that frequent the geocoin forums, but I'd love to welcome any number of cachers that would like to trash my rental car instead of their normal geo-mobile, guessing I should be able to take 3 passengers. :laughing:

Only problem is that I'm guessing I'll need to haul out of Yakima around 4pm in order to give me time to get back to Longview, round up my mom and then have us make the flight out of PDX. :lol: I'm guessing I'll have to bail at the end of the main loop (hopefully not before!), depositing passengers back at the first cache's parking.

Since I'm absolutely awful when it comes to remembering names, hope everyone has their name emblazoned on their team's shirts! :anibad:

FYI, I got the Clarion (two stars, two nights) at Priceline tonight for $37.

I switched my reservation to Econo Lodge. A couple other folks are also staying there, and they're paying $47.69/night plus tax. Here's its info from the Choice Hotels site:

Econo Lodge (WA188)

1405 N. First Street , Yakima, WA, US, 98901

Phone: (509) 453-8981 Fax: (509) 452-3241

Just booked a trip home to WA state for the week leading up to the event, and am flying out of PDX at 10:55 PM the day of the event (which I just now bumped into when looking for events in WA while I'm in state, doh!)

Growing up in Longview and Seattle, was always great to take a break from the grey drizzle and head across the mountain pass to sunshine and warmth in the Yakima Valley, boy am I looking forward to a return visit as a cacher (not having been back home since catching the caching bug about a year ago)

Since I'll be coming from out of state, the only cachers I'm likely to know are those that frequent the geocoin forums, but I'd love to welcome any number of cachers that would like to trash my rental car instead of their normal geo-mobile, guessing I should be able to take 3 passengers. :lol:

Only problem is that I'm guessing I'll need to haul out of Yakima around 4pm in order to give me time to get back to Longview, round up my mom and then have us make the flight out of PDX. :anibad: I'm guessing I'll have to bail at the end of the main loop (hopefully not before!), depositing passengers back at the first cache's parking.

Since I'm absolutely awful when it comes to remembering names, hope everyone has their name emblazoned on their team's shirts! :laughing:

W00t! Looking forward to meeting a fellow geocoin addict! Will you be bringing your traders with you?!?! lol

W00t! Looking forward to meeting a fellow geocoin addict! Will you be bringing your traders with you?!?! lol

I doubt I'll have my entire trading list in hand (just started a 3rd binder, ugh) as there is absolutely no way I'm checking THAT as baggage! :huh:

I do plan to bring along some newer / interesting coins, as well as any specific ones I have available by request, no harm in brokering a trade early and saving on postage! :anibad:

I am SOOOO looking forward to this event!! Trying to figure out how I can time my drive from Longview to Yakima on the way out to the event (to determine exactly when I have to get out of Dodge and not miss my flight home, lol) and still sneak in a few caches in the middle of night on the way to the event! :lol:

Also, due to my limited time in the area preventing me from attending the dinner afterwards and my desire to bag the entire main loop if possible, any trading will likely have to be done in the car while in motion or perhaps at the hot dog break! :laughing:

Just wanted to cross post here and on the cache page (sorry if you are reading this again!)

I will be there with the other Cache Dashers -can't wait! I used to live in Yakima pre-geocaching... so this will be a treat.

I am also bringing Geo-Merchandise from Cache Advance, www.cache-advance.com and will be set up at the lunch pit stop for a few hours (with permission and by invitation from the local organizer).

If you miss me there, I'll be at the pre-event on Friday, and dinner on Saturday too (not set up, but I can pull down the tailgate after eating if anybody wants/needs anything).

Drop me a PM by Sunday March 23rd if there is anything special that you would like (such as clothing from Groundspeak -I'll need sizes and such, and any other special requests), and I'll be sure to have it -and save on shipping!!

Happy (and safe!) Caching everyone :D

Now back to your regularly scheduled CM forum :D

[First Choice Cache] is up and running again, we found it just the other day. A great cache!

Thanks for the info. I'll try to post draft 3 on Tuesday night, March 18. After that, I'll be posting the final on Monday, March 24, and then I'll announce any last minute changes at dinner on Friday, March 28.

Anybody looking for a navigator? I'm flying solo this time, and would love to tell you where to go. <_<

(My only requirement - no stopping for lunch or snacks, other than the lunch in the canyon that Caliber is setting up. I wanna get the main route done before dark.)

Let's see where I am on my pre-event checklist:

Pocket queries started? Check.

Cache page made? Check.

Forum started? Check.

Local caching organization notified? Yes, by the locals' word of mouth

Drafts posted? Check.

Post-event dinner arrangements finalized? Check.

Local police notified? Yakima: Check (by Caliber). Ellensburg: need to do.

Hotel booked (for myself)? Check.

Pre-event dinner location identified? Check.

Final route posted? Pending.

Print out last minute changes? Pending.

Found poker rooms in the area? Check. Wait. That's not related. Strike that. <_<

Anybody looking for a navigator? I'm flying solo this time, and would love to tell you where to go. <_<

(My only requirement - no stopping for lunch or snacks, other than the lunch in the canyon that Caliber is setting up. I wanna get the main route done before dark.)

I'm game, as I'll be visiting from out of state so will have a rental car to trash and am looking to complete the main route before dark (by at least an hour or two in order to make my flight out of PDX), so anything involving more than a park-n-grab I'll likely be jogging to GZ! <_<

I'm game, as I'll be visiting from out of state so will have a rental car to trash and am looking to complete the main route before dark (by at least an hour or two in order to make my flight out of PDX), so anything involving more than a park-n-grab I'll likely be jogging to GZ! <_<

Looking forward to meeting you, but alas, dsvaughn and I commissioned Travis last night as soon as he posted his availability. :unsure: We did the Spokane CM together, and it will be fun to do another one. We will be doing the full route, until dark/dinner. Our car will be full, but you are welcome to caravan!

Edited by hydnsek
dsvaughn and I commissioned Travis last night as soon as he posted his availability. ;) We did the Spokane CM together, and it will be fun to do another one.

Yup. Thanks for the offer, though, dsflye.

Glad you found a ride so quick, should have known the event lister would be in high demand! :o

Not having lived in the eastern half of WA, are there any problems with ice/snow this time of year? From looking at the weather forecast, the lows look to be below freezing with a chance of snow before the event....am I going to have issues coming over White Pass on hwy 12 in the middle of the night? :D

Not having lived in the eastern half of WA, are there any problems with ice/snow this time of year? From looking at the weather forecast, the lows look to be below freezing with a chance of snow before the event....am I going to have issues coming over White Pass on hwy 12 in the middle of the night? :o

I won't guarantee it, but I'm not anticipating any problems. Road conditions at this moment, according to the WSDOT, are bare and wet; snowing, but no tire restrictions.

You mentioned you're flying out of PDX. If you're concerned about weather, you might find it better to take I-84 east, then US-97 north into Yakima. I'd just check the pass reports the night before to be sure.

Not having lived in the eastern half of WA, are there any problems with ice/snow this time of year? From looking at the weather forecast, the lows look to be below freezing with a chance of snow before the event....am I going to have issues coming over White Pass on hwy 12 in the middle of the night? ;)
I won't guarantee it, but I'm not anticipating any problems. Road conditions at this moment, according to the WSDOT, are bare and wet; snowing, but no tire restrictions.

You mentioned you're flying out of PDX. If you're concerned about weather, you might find it better to take I-84 east, then US-97 north into Yakima. I'd just check the pass reports the night before to be sure.

Thanks for the info, kind of lines up with my belief that if it isn't a blizzard this late in the year, the pass will still be open, since the last pic I saw from the pass (ended up at the same WSDOT site, woo!) didn't look too troubling to me.

If the weather does go completely arctic, I'll follow the Columbia upstream as you suggest.

Still working on the timing of my drive from Longview to Yakima, too many 24/7 caches on the way to resist, have to figure out how to adjust my return trip time to ignore the time spent caching on the eastbound trip! :o

Thanks for the info. I'll try to post draft 3 on Tuesday night, March 18. After that, I'll be posting the final on Monday, March 24, and then I'll announce any last minute changes at dinner on Friday, March 28.

After digging through my latest pocket query, and ignoring all the new micros in Ellensburg, I'm not seeing a need to post a third draft. Only a few changes:

Removed from main route:

• GCKC9E Nowhere to be seen! (too far to hike)
  • GC9467 COPYCAT #3 (too far to hike)

Removed from micro route:

• GCZ7MG Journey To The Park # 1-Gardner Park (disabled)

Added to main route:

• GC19YXX Truckin' Isn't Easy
  • GC19RZ5 The Leap Year Cache (small, but not micro)

I'd never removed First Choice cache off the route, so no change there.

I'll post the final route on the evening of March 24.

Edited by travisl