Anyone familiar with Sky Caddie

niffir

My husband has recently become obsessed with the idea of getting Sky Caddie for his golfing adventures. I did a search in the forums about it and came up with a few threads about using a regular GPS to achieve similar results, but he wasn't terribly interested in that.

So...on to his questions...

He was researching them a bit and found that there are a few different models. He is wondering about the sensitivity of the different units and if anyone has recommendations as to which one would be best. He was particularly interested in learning if there is much difference between the ones with the internal antenna and those with the external. I assume that the differences would mostly be the same as between regular GPSrs with internal/external, but I don't really know what those differences are either.

Any golfers (or GPS experts) out there able to give some guidance on this?

Sensitivity wont matter as he will be standing in a open field. (unless hes really bad :))

Internal/external antenna effects reception depending on orientation.

Not important when you have the good reception you get in an open field.

What you should look at is features & price. And get the one with the most/best features at the lowest price.

SG1 & SG2 are really basic, not at all current technology units. SG3 & SG4 look like Magellan Explorists because that is what they are, except you pay a healthy premium for the proprietary software. The newest, SG5 is from some private label company and I know nothing about it.

I owned a SG1 and used it until I replaced it with a SG3, which works well for me.

Edited by MikieP

I would also suggest you do a google search on Sky Caddie and read some of the discussion forums about this and other units. Many of the comments I saw suggested that the accuracy of these units is not what hit should be. As you might imagine if the company doesn't update the maps of the courses the unit willl be outdated pretty quickly. Likewise pin placement will vary day to day and that will impact the quality of the information that the GPS maps have.

What many people recommended over a GPS based unit is a simple Laser Range finder for determining distance to the hole. Kind of makes sense to me. Get real time data while on the course as opposed to some mapping data that is weeks out of date.

Sensitivity wont matter as he will be standing in a open field. (unless hes really bad :D)

Whoa, I've been doing something wrong. You mean I'm supposed to hit the ball out in all that green grassy area? What are all those trees for then?

The big open areas are for the amatuer players so they can get a feel for the game. Trees are where us pro's go.