Keeping the bag open

c&s 143

I attended my first but not last CITO yesterday. Had a great time getting to know everyone and doing something good.

Aside from the amount of trash that people leave around, the most annoying thing was the bag. Is there some trick people have for keeping the trash bag open? I was thinking of something like a small loop with clips to keep the bag open. It would make putting trash in it quicker.

Anyone made one and have tips? Any other ideas?

THanks!

Craig

C&S 143

Well, here are a few thoughts I have about your question.

A coat hanger, stretched out in a circle, staple the bag on to it, and hook it to your belt loop.

An embroidery loop, a big one.

A small hula hoop. Cable ties to hold it on.

Maybe a couple of those picnic table cloth weights strategically placed.

If the trash bag is staying put, a TV tray stand will hold it, but usually at a CITO the bag is carried around.

A TV stand on a wagon to drag behind you.

If I think of any other ideas, I'll post them.

note: I haven't actually tried any of these yet, I'm just thinking out loud here.

Edited by Eartha

I know when I CITO my bag gets heavy quick with all the old bottles and wet items so hoops and clips will not hold. What I have found that helps is to get an 18 inch stick, broom handle sized or a little bigger and roll one side of the bag around it and tie a knot in bag opposite the sick( to keep trash contained). With the bag rolled tightly several turns it seems to stay in place pretty well. When using big bags (30 or 55 gal) I roll them up quit a bit to start with and I can unroll them as I need to.

If it is windy, you want to find a glass bottle or a full 20oz bottle pretty quick to weigh it down. It is no fun to get a bag partially full of paper, plastic and Styrofoam and have the wind turn it upside down and dump it. :unsure:

GEO.JOE

Edited by GEO.JOE

I know when I CITO my bag gets heavy quick with all the old bottles and wet items so hoops and clips will not hold. What I have found that helps is to get an 18 inch stick, broom handle sized or a little bigger and roll one side of the bag around it and tie a knot in bag opposite the sick( to keep trash contained). With the bag rolled tightly several turns it seems to stay in place pretty well. When using big bags (30 or 55 gal) I roll them up quit a bit to start with and I can unroll them as I need to.

If it is windy, you want to find a glass bottle or a full 20oz bottle pretty quick to weigh it down. It is no fun to get a bag partially full of paper, plastic and Styrofoam and have the wind turn it upside down and dump it. :)

GEO.JOE

I've used the wooden stick handle method AND must say that it Does work :lol: