Wicker's Hike - event warm up!

Rose_Thorn

See here - I couldn't make mention of meeting up beforehand for Wicker's Hike on the event cache page, so IF you want to do the hike:

Meet 9.30 am in the layby by the burger van (on other side of road from Owd Betts) on Satuardy 8th March for start of Wicker's Hike and hunt for 32 caches! We'll be going whatever the weather, except for snow which would hinder the searching and walking and make the route too much of a serious undertaking. As it is, do come equipped for a tough hike - walking boots, waterproofs, spare clothing, and of course, butties for a lunch break! Remember, it's 12 1/2 miles over rough moorland!

Of course if you can't manage the hike/have already done it then it would be great to see you at Owd Betts for refreshments and cache-chat :)

I couldn't make mention of meeting up beforehand for Wicker's Hike on the event cache page

Why Not?? :drama:

This has never been a problem in the past, and I have attended 6 events which have advertised the hike. To my understanding you can arrange an event for a hike. But you MUST ensure that anyone not wishing to do the hike can meet up and still attend the event. You have done this, so I cannot see why you cannot mention the hike on the event page.

Perhaps Deceangi (cache reviewer) can enlighten us to this decision?

As far as I know there are guidelines somewhere that state that events must NOT be set up in order to do one or more caches... which is why there is the event at Owd Betts....

where's that Deci when you need him?

Here :drama: The Event as originally submitted was a Organised cache hunt with a Gathering at the end tacked on. The now Published Event is a Get Together which makes a mention of the Organised cache hunt so now meeting the Guidelines

In addition, an event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together cachers for an organized hunt of another cache or caches. Such group hunts are best organized using the forums or an email distribution list.

It's always seemed a bit of an odd rule to me, that one - wonder how open to discussion it is (ie, rule change)? :)

Go and ask Groundspeak :)

One of the reasons I believe for the rule is that you'd see events being submitted with the sole aim of finding high No's of caches every week. At one point this year here in the UK we were looking at over 40 active events. Now imagine if organised cache hunts were allowed to be listed as events :o. We'd probally be looking at 40 events per month :P

Another possibility [and this is purely speculation] is that the people who own this site, do not see Geocaching as a No's Game. So see no need for organised cache hunts to be listed as events :o

The now Published Event is a Get Together which makes a mention of the Organised cache hunt so now meeting the Guidelines

No it doesn't! Unless of course I have totally missed it?

It does say however - 'If you fancy a day's caching prior to the event, there are numerous caches in the area, including 32 on the route of Wicker's Hike, and more down by the reservoirs and Deeply Vale.' That doesn't make mention of an organised cache hunt as you have stated!

What it does state is that there are plenty caches that you can go out and find on your own. If I decided to do the Wickers Hike and start at 08:30 and had not seen this thread, then in theory I could stay 1 hour ahead of everyone else and not know anything about it until I turned up at the pub at 5pm!!

May I presume from your statement which I have quoted above, the event owner can change the description to include the details for the cache hunt / hike, similar to what she has done in her opening post on this thread?

If the event owner wishes to edit the page to read

"If you fancy a day's caching prior to the event, there are numerous caches in the area, including 32 on the route of Wicker's Hike, and more down by the reservoirs and Deeply Vale. Meet at a specific location at a specific time"

And that will comply completely with the guidelines by providing a starting point and and time, without turning the event page into a organised cache hunt.

The event owner is following the guidelines by posting on here

Such group hunts are best organized using the forums or an email distribution list.

If the event owner wishes to edit the page to read

"If you fancy a day's caching prior to the event, there are numerous caches in the area, including 32 on the route of Wicker's Hike, and more down by the reservoirs and Deeply Vale. Meet at a specific location at a specific time"

And that will comply completely with the guidelines by providing a starting point and and time, without turning the event page into a organised cache hunt.

That appears to be a reasonable compromise? Thank you.

Hopefully Rose_Thorn will now see this and take you up on it?

The event owner is following the guidelines by posting on here

Such group hunts are best organized using the forums or an email distribution list.

That she has, and no one can fault her for that.

Let's face it they are just guidelines and not rules, whereas the word 'comply' suggests that they must be followed?

Also that particular guideline you have quoted is worded in such a way that it is more of a suggestion than a guideline!!

Not trying to argue semantics but I'm Sorry but it depends on whose interpretation of

In addition, an event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together cachers for an organized hunt of another cache or caches. Such group hunts are best organized using the forums or an email distribution list.

Block is mine and and this was quoted in full in post No 4. My understanding of the phrase should not from reading discussions between the Reviewer community and Groundspeak, is that this is a Rule and not a Guideline. Parts of the Guidelines are in fact Rules.

And as stated the original cache submission was different to the published page. Also the Scottish Hikes which were published did not make any major mention of being any sort of organised cache hunt.

My interpretation of ALL the guidelines is that they are exactly that 'guidelines' and not hardened rules.

I have on many occasions got the impression that yourself (Deceangie) treat them as rules and not guidelines. This is something I have often felt that the other reviewers try to be more flexible on.

I feel as though I have made my point and shall leave it at that.

:D If I might add a word...!

I did originally have the time and place for meeting for the hike in the description of the event and I had "Wicker's HIke" in the event title but obviously it seemed too prominent to be accepted as being within event listing guidelines, so I took the details out and stuck them here and on the NW Caching forum events board.

I have now added a note to the event cache page directing people to the forums for further details re caching prior to the pub meet.

As to rules/guidelines etc...I'm only a dugong so I just do what I'm told. ;)

Personally I'm not a numbers person and am not doing the hike for "numbers" but rather to have some jolly japes caching in company :D:D or something like that, since most of my caching is done on my lonesome! And I thought other folksies might enjoy that too, plus having a drink at the pub to wind down afterwards. It's what we used to do in the old days when hubby and I went rock climbing with our mates and chilled out in pub afterwards, re-living the scariest moments in the safety of the boozer! Plus I'm rubbish at actually finding caches half the time, and want some help - I mean if I'm going to tramp round the moors for 7 hours I'm not going to return with 20 dnf's! So come on, 9.30 am at the layby - put it on your calendar!