Garmin Updates

ral819

I have a Garmin 60 Csx with City Navigator version 8, and Topo version 3.02 and was just wondering, On the current updates for each, is it really worth the effort ? Or should I wait a while ? Can there be that many changes since I purchased them ? ( one year ago). The City Nav update for the regular (non N T version) is $75.00, only through Garmin. I'm just trying to keep from getting into a yearly investment to update software.

I have a Garmin 60 Csx with City Navigator version 8, and Topo version 3.02 and was just wondering, On the current updates for each, is it really worth the effort ? Or should I wait a while ? Can there be that many changes since I purchased them ? ( one year ago). The City Nav update for the regular (non N T version) is $75.00, only through Garmin. I'm just trying to keep from getting into a yearly investment to update software.

Depends on where you live with City Navigator. If you live in an area where lots of streets are being built then you might want to get the newer maps, if not wait. I would just use what you have until you find you are going to areas where the streets aren't on your device. The maps on my Honda Odyssey are 4 years old. every once in a while it will not work because of a new area, but not very often. Look around craigslist and ebay and the forums here for the updates as well. There is a guy on craigslist right now selling the update disk new in shrinkwrap for $40. I have never used topo. but I would think that you could easily go a few years without updating that. The only caveat would be that someone mentioned topo 2008 contains DEM data and 3.02 doesn't, so if you wanted DEM data than you would want 2008. That wouldn't make much difference on your GPSr, but would look different on your PC.

I wasn't sure just how much improvement over previous software each update provided, I know around the St. Louis area there is alot of street/highway improvement in progress. I was just wondering if Garmin's maps get the updated information , previous to new construction being done ??? Just a thought ...

I wasn't sure just how much improvement over previous software each update provided, I know around the St. Louis area there is alot of street/highway improvement in progress. I was just wondering if Garmin's maps get the updated information , previous to new construction being done ??? Just a thought ...

No actually even the newest street data is a year old. The 2008 disk came out in late 2007 from data that was probably a couple of months old. I'm sure in the future "real time" street updates will be a possiblility. Garmin will probably put us all on a yearly map "subscription" for $100 and we can update our streets every week if we want. Not that I would want that. I was using City Navigator v7 (came out it 2005 or earlier) until October of 2007and it was doing fine for me.

Topo US 2008 is definitely worth updating to. The v3.02 uses over 30 year old USGS data and the street data is also over 30 years old. The Topo US 2008 USGS contour data is basically the same since that is only what is widely available but the street data and some other topo data has been updated. You can view the Topo US 2008 maps and CNNA 2008 maps here on Garmin’s MapSource Map Viewer.

Topo US 2008 is definitely worth updating to. The v3.02 uses over 30 year old USGS data and the street data is also over 30 years old. The Topo US 2008 USGS contour data is basically the same since that is only what is widely available but the street data and some other topo data has been updated. You can view the Topo US 2008 maps and CNNA 2008 maps here on Garmin’s MapSource Map Viewer.

He's already got City navigator, why would he care about the street data on 2008 topo?

I have a Garmin 60 Csx with City Navigator version 8, and Topo version 3.02 and was just wondering, On the current updates for each, is it really worth the effort ? Or should I wait a while ? Can there be that many changes since I purchased them ? ( one year ago).

If it were me (and it will be in a year or so, I guess, when the current versions are replaced), I wouldn't bother upgrading until the current maps were starting to irritate me. If I found myself continually trying to look up addresses on streets that didn't exist on the maps that I have, or trying to get to stores or restaurants that are listed in the POI database but finding myself at a gas station or a new housing development instead, I'd finally get around to upgrading.

But as long as the maps keep taking me where I want to go, with only the occasional missing road or POI, I'll stick with what I have.