Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Croft House Cachers

Good missions?

Hi there, we are new at geocaching and, as a family, the thing that's really grabbed everyone's attention the most is the travel bugs. Everyone is getting one and some people (not me, I know what I want mine to do!) need ideas. So has anyone seen any bugs on really interesting missions that we might adapt? There are eight of us all together, mine has a mission and my twin boys are having twin ducks on one bug that will hopefully meet other twins. The other four children and my husband are still undecided!

Many thanks, Ness.

One of the coolest ideas I've seen lately is Bags and gang's "Foot", and its other half, RedE4?'s "Hand" .

They are two halves of a lizard that are magnetic. So when they meet they attach. Bags launched hers in Connecticut, and RedE4? launched the other half in Florida, and where ever the two meet, Bags and RedE4? will travel to and meet up. Road trip! I wonder if they know it could be in Japan or something, LOL!!! I helped move Foot, I hope to move Hand too.

Edited by Planet

I guess it really depends on what they are interested in? Maybe for the kids have the TB's travel to different theme parks and have their pictures taken with whomever visits there with them? If you husband has a special interest then have it travel to those types of places he likes and have pictures taken with it too? I enjoy seeing picture taken with my bugs although I've never really set a mission for mine, I just let them travel unless they are in a contest. I've also seen races with travel bugs where you determine a cache for them to get too and the first one there wins.

I like TBs that have cachers do something other than move it from cache to cache. Having its picture taken somewhere is always good. Try not to make it too strict of a directional type goal. If you try to make it go one direction only it doesn't always do it.

Here are some ideas I have come across or am using myself:

Send to visit a far away relative or friend. I have prepared but not sent out yet a coin that asks finders to share the log from their first FTF experience. A Plymouth Roadrunner Hotwheel that's looking for other roadrunners and coyotes. A West coast Choppers emblem that wants to see choppers. A toy train that wanted to see real trains. and so on... a lot of it depends on what the item is.

Another adventure is: TB197Q2 (bankrobber), TB15KAH (coin) and TB18Q1A (policecar).

The robber and coin are (or should be) following each other, and the policecar is following.

... or this: TBJDEN

The mission of this TB is to make the finder build a new cache with the name "Rest in Peace #xx - nnnn".

The location of the cache must be an ancient grave mould or an old obandoned grave yard. The finder should then place the TB in this new cache.

Thanks for the ideas, there's some great missions out there!

So far they have decided to send out bugs to get their photos taken with, respectively, pigs, dogs and horses. The travel bugs came in the post today so there's been great excitement and a scramble to find the right size buddies. My oldest daughter is still not sure of hers.

Ness.

So far they have decided to send out bugs to get their photos taken with, respectively, pigs, dogs and horses. The travel bugs came in the post today so there's been great excitement and a scramble to find the right size buddies. My oldest daughter is still not sure of hers.

Ness.

I have just started one for my kids. Its a 50 State Quarters book. I put a Texas quarter in the book and then dropped it off in New Mexico. I hope it gets filled with all 50 quarters (of course, someone could make off with a grand total of $12.50 !)

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1468843

Ness.

I have just started one for my kids. Its a 50 State Quarters book. I put a Texas quarter in the book and then dropped it off in New Mexico. I hope it gets filled with all 50 quarters (of course, someone could make off with a grand total of $12.50 !)

Not sure a bug carrying money has a good chance of keeping it. Good luck!

Ness.

Not sure a bug carrying money has a good chance of keeping it. Good luck!

Yeah, I know what you mean. That thought did occur before I went ahead and did this. Both my kids have a book already filled with the quarters, but I thought it would be fun to see if it can actually make it! I'm hoping geocachers are a bit more honest than the average bear! At most, I'll be out the $5 for the TB, $4.50 for the book and than the quarter I started it with! So I'm probably donating about $10 for an experiment! (Besides, if some poor geocacher runs out of gas....they might be able to get enough to get them back home...if they are close!)

Thanks!

Edited by Truscott

How about attaching a little coin purse to the travel bug dog tag and a laminated card explaining that it's a soda money travel bug. Instruct finders that if they earn over $20,000 per year they are to fill the purse with 6 quarters and if they earn less than that they are to buy themselves a drink. :o :o :o

If you have an event or meeting or a reunion that you regularly attend start a bug at the site with the goal of getting to the next one. We go to the annual meeting of the Entomological Society of America (held in different cities each year) and I start off two TB's (Insects of course) at each meeting with the goal of getting to a cache near the next meeting about the time of the meeting. The 12 I've released so far haven't been all that successful. Five have gone missing. But this year one that started out in Florida two years ago got to San Diego this year. Another started several years ago got to San Diego a year early. Several have managed to get to the same state and one traveled all the way to Australia to a cache within a quarter of a mile of the Convention center where the International Congress of Entomology was in session.

If you have an event or meeting or a reunion that you regularly attend start a bug at the site with the goal of getting to the next one. We go to the annual meeting of the Entomological Society of America (held in different cities each year) and I start off two TB's (Insects of course) at each meeting with the goal of getting to a cache near the next meeting about the time of the meeting. The 12 I've released so far haven't been all that successful. Five have gone missing. But this year one that started out in Florida two years ago got to San Diego this year. Another started several years ago got to San Diego a year early. Several have managed to get to the same state and one traveled all the way to Australia to a cache within a quarter of a mile of the Convention center where the International Congress of Entomology was in session.

That's a great idea, and hello to Lincoln, Nebraska from Lincolnshire, England. Maybe we should try sending one to you?

Ness.

one of my bugs mission is to find Bin,Ladin..its currently in east germany heading for pakistan..

Edited by team lagonda

I sent two of mine on a race to within each of the two big oceans, Atlantic and Pacific. They are both on the return leg with less than 200 miles to go to the cache they started from and need to return to.

I'm going to be releasing a bunch of TBs and coins over the next few months. I've been entertaining the idea of having an additional mission (in addition to moving from cache to cache) for some of my objects. I wanted to know if you all thought this would be a burden for my fellow cachers.

Here is one example: I have a Disney pin of Hercules that I'm going to convert into a TB. Hercules says, "Go the Distance" on the pin. So my idea is to ask the person who discovers or moves the TB to also "Go the Distance" to fight hunger by donating 1 food item for each of their immediate family members to their local food bank.

Obviously, the mission would be optional but if you found a bug with this mission, would you try to fulfill it?

All replies appreciated. Thanks!

Ness.

Is your oldest daughter in Girl Scouts or some other organization? The next one I send out will be a Girl Guides of Canada key chain and I want it to meet Guides around the world and go to Guiding events.

The one I just started and will release when I go on holidays to Arizona and New Mexico in 2 weeks is:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1486349

Good luck with all of your bugs.

Guiderchachi

Newfoundland, Canada

I'm going to be releasing a bunch of TBs and coins over the next few months. I've been entertaining the idea of having an additional mission (in addition to moving from cache to cache) for some of my objects. I wanted to know if you all thought this would be a burden for my fellow cachers.

Here is one example: I have a Disney pin of Hercules that I'm going to convert into a TB. Hercules says, "Go the Distance" on the pin. So my idea is to ask the person who discovers or moves the TB to also "Go the Distance" to fight hunger by donating 1 food item for each of their immediate family members to their local food bank.

Obviously, the mission would be optional but if you found a bug with this mission, would you try to fulfill it?

All replies appreciated. Thanks!

I like that idea. It would be interesting if people logged how they "went the distance" Good luck.

Guiderchachi

Does your daughter have a favourite animal or country??? We are soon to set off a Polar bear TB that will have the mission of making it to Alaska or Canada to 'visit' with real polar bears (or th nearest cache to). As we live way down in New Zealand it will be quite a trip if it makes it.

We also want to have two dog TBs that look like our dogs (Australian Cattle Dogs) have a race to Fraser Island in Australia to visit with their 'cousins' the dingos. We'd like to see which one gets there and back first.

Our coin that is out is travelling around the world and back to New Zealand - visiting other caches/states/ countries with 'new' in their name along the way.

We have also thought of having a TB to visit all the Abel Tasman monuments & memorials around the world, as Tasman was the first European to see our country. We would hope for it to visit Zeland in the Netherlands and return home to us afterwards.

So, if your daughter has an interest in history or geography she could make up an idea related to that???

Annie

I'm off to Canada the day after tomorrow, and am hoping to set a few TBs loose out there, all with the same mission, to make their way back home (I think I will specify something like "place in any cache within a 20 mile radius of N nnnnn W nnnnn", where the co-ords are the middle of a small park near my house rather than my house's exact co-ords - and then I can go pick them up from there). I am going to ask people to take pics along the way if possible, of the bug by any clear indicator of the nationality of its current location - like a landmark, or even just a road sign.

and one for my son which is attached to a little Dora the Explorer doll - he just wants her to explore "interesting places", again with pics

TB217YY

I gave mine a rather odd mission. I realize that it'll most likely end up as a prize on someone's mantel or dresser but I'm prepared to accept that. But if it even completes a portion of its mission I'll be happy. :laughing:

I'm sending mine out to my Dad's grave site, which has a superman emblem on it, so named the tb "Will You Still Call Me Superman" and that is about 1200 miles away from the starting position. I attatched a Superman key ring, and a destination's key chain. I am asking for pictures and more key rings. Is that weird???????

I'm sending mine out to my Dad's grave site, which has a superman emblem on it, so named the tb "Will You Still Call Me Superman" and that is about 1200 miles away from the starting position. I attatched a Superman key ring, and a destination's key chain. I am asking for pictures and more key rings. Is that weird???????

Nope.

My bugbear is poor treasures in caches. I have lottery ticket TBs in the hope that on day someone will find REAL treasure! Check one out here

That's a neat idea. :)

I noticed that your Bug's ID number is visible on the website. That means that anyone could log it without ever finding it.