Lost 400T Map

I screwed up and with the aid of my trusted computer I deleted my Factory installed Topo map.Atleast my unit shows no map anymore and the options key shows none to choose from.Is there a way to reset this thing.I have a Topo 2008 that I loaded but it won't auto route on highways.B

Looks like I'm the first dummy to do this.It was so easy I won't be the last.

I screwed up and with the aid of my trusted computer I deleted my Factory installed Topo map.Atleast my unit shows no map anymore and the options key shows none to choose from.Is there a way to reset this thing.I have a Topo 2008 that I loaded but it won't auto route on highways.B

Unfortunately there isn't a way to get it back. You are not the first to have done it. I read in a review somewhere about how easy it is to accidentally delete, so the first thing when I bought mine was back the whole thing up. I'd have been one of the first to do it too had I not known :blink:

I'd recommend calling garmin and see what they can offer you. There have been a few defective units that overwrote the basemaps when changes were made that Garmin readily replaced. Maybe yours falls into that category.

Just thought I'd point out:

Team Aqualung pointed out this website in another thread that enables you to create your own maps at higher degree of accuracy than what was originally on the unit.

http://home.cinci.rr.com/creek/garmin.htm#1

I made one of my area in about a half an hour and its a fantastic topo map.

That way seems really complicated, but if I just wiped out my entire map DB, and had no replacement, then it sure would beat paying for another. Great link.

Could you try an old undelete program?

GPSr shows up as an external drive and its using fat32. When the files are deleted the file name is hidden and the first (i think, it's been a long time) letter is removed. The rest of the file is intact until overwritten.