Media Objects

_canadianbacon_

The programmer in me is doing quit well with the event driven programming model in the builder, but I just can't figure out what the list of media objects does.

It seems after a few days sketching out my project, I just have to create 1 Media entry for each image, with 1 media object in the list of images to represent the 'Media' i have created.

How is the Media object list to be used? I'd like to leverage the tool the best way possible and am wondering if I've missed something.

As far as I understand, the media objects are for sound and pictures when dealing with other objects. For instance, if you wanted to simulate a space environment, you could have that annoying beeping that you hear over astronauts' radios repeating on a five second timer (just kidding, but the application is true). You can also associate sound and images with zones, item, characters, tasks, and, I think, inputs.

Did that address your question or did I misunderstand?

I have images and sound linked in, I was wondering if the 'list' of 'Media Objects' under a media item was useful from a development point of view. For it seems we (have a more artistic person working with me on the artwork, I'm the techie) just have single media asset for each Media Item.

The help indicates that the best sized item will be selected based on the where it is being used.

I have images and sound linked in, I was wondering if the 'list' of 'Media Objects' under a media item was useful from a development point of view. For it seems we (have a more artistic person working with me on the artwork, I'm the techie) just have single media asset for each Media Item.

The help indicates that the best sized item will be selected based on the where it is being used.

The list of media objects in the media container is indeed for the best sized based on the device. This is not implemented yet in the cartridge "compiler". What is implemented when you publish a cartridge (locally or to the web site) is a "leaving out" of some of the media objects. For example, when you create a media object that contains both a .bmp and a .jpg and then create a playable cartridge for the garmin device. The cartridge "linker" that creates the playable cartridge will leave out the .bmp and only include the .jpg. For the pocket pc, the bmp and jpg will both be left in. In the future, for the pocket pc, the best sized image of the .bmp and .jpg on the pocket pc will be used.

David.