Release any new bugs lately?

BlueDeuce

We activated a new one about a week or two ago but haven't dropped it off yet.

Here's the story:

We were out doing some snow-caching, and at the final of a four-part multi, we found a small photograph of a little boy. On the back of it was written: "I'm Scott Eckelschot. Bring me home to Holland. -- Dweez"

We picked it up and when we were back home, we scrolled back through the logs for the cache. We saw that this picture had been left there in 2006 by "dweez", a Dutch cacher on a visit to the USA. His log read "I put in a small photo from my son Scott with the remark to bring him back to Holland again (but I wouldn't mind that his photo will travel all over the world)".

The picture had been sitting in that same ammo can ever since then. We guessed that people had been reluctant to pick it up because it wasn't a travel bug, although it had a TB-like goal. So we decided to turn it into a TB, to help it get moving. We laminated the picture, attached a TB tag, a goal card, and a little plastic blonde boy to it. We've been carrying it around for a while but haven't dropped it yet.

"Scott (going home to Holland)"

c0361279-51d0-4e86-9256-9c67f2ee863f.jpg

Here's the story:

We were out doing some snow-caching, and at the final of a four-part multi, we found a small photograph of a little boy. On the back of it was written: "I'm Scott Eckelschot. Bring me home to Holland. -- Dweez"

We picked it up and when we were back home, we scrolled back through the logs for the cache. We saw that this picture had been left there in 2006 by "dweez", a Dutch cacher on a visit to the USA. His log read "I put in a small photo from my son Scott with the remark to bring him back to Holland again (but I wouldn't mind that his photo will travel all over the world)".

The picture had been sitting in that same ammo can ever since then. We guessed that people had been reluctant to pick it up because it wasn't a travel bug, although it had a TB-like goal. So we decided to turn it into a TB, to help it get moving. We laminated the picture, attached a TB tag, a goal card, and a little plastic blonde boy to it. We've been carrying it around for a while but haven't dropped it yet.

Very sweet and touching. What a great idea!

Here's the story:

What an awesome thing to do! That is really cool.

I wanted to post a picture of my very first travel bug, but I can't copy and paste. This page won't let me. So click the link and meet "Stadium Stan". I fly to Phoenix on Friday (mar. 21) and he will be released somewhere in AZ or NM.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1486349[/url]

We will be going to a hockey game in Phoenix but the only cache close to the stadium is a nano. If I find it and log it, can I drop him in and take him out for miles? Am I allowed to do that with a cache that is too small for a TB? I plan to take a pic of him at the game.

Any hints on this would help me.

Thanks,

Guiderchachi

Edited by guiderchachi

I wanted to post a picture of my very first travel bug, but I can't copy and paste. This page won't let me. So click the link and meet "Stadium Stan". I fly to Phoenix on Friday (mar. 21) and he will be released somewhere in AZ or NM.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1486349[/url]

We will be going to a hockey game in Phoenix but the only cache close to the stadium is a nano. If I find it and log it, can I drop him in and take him out for miles? Am I allowed to do that with a cache that is too small for a TB? I plan to take a pic of him at the game.

Any hints on this would help me.

Thanks,

Guiderchachi

fa543ab9-cbe5-476d-b137-54d817f9b692.jpg

Yes, if the bug did visit the cache you can log him through it. Perfectly acceptable.

Hey, I've got a Hulk TB too. Most certainly Hulk, not Li'l Sprout. Its mission is to collect pics of big things.

The last three TBs I released:

Page of Swords TB - tarot card; mission: to be photographed in Iraq.

What's Your Treasure? TB - plastic chest; mission: to collect photos of things geocachers treasure.

LOOK AT ME!!! TB - Celebutante; mission: to be "watched" by everyone who reads this post. :D

Edited by CacheNCarryMA

My first two bugs are now in the wild!

I've had fun moving around other cachers' bugs and seeing where they've been ... and I'm really looking forward to seeing mine as the make their way ... wherever.

Savoy the Sea Turtle Traveler:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1466129

Verdi the Sea Turtle Traveler:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1466163

Ursa Traveler will be released soon:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1466110

Hope you meet up with them sometime.

StumpWater

I've ordered four TBs recently and am awaiting their arrival.

I have one already planned, I'm going to give at least one of the tags to a friend and then we'll see with the others.

Mine is one I hope will do well. It's a swatch of a quilt that was made by my mother in my father's memory (he passed this past August from cancer). On the back, it shows two golf clubs and the word "Chief," which is based on him being a former cop and what a lot of people still called him. The goal is for it to be seen at many golf courses, hopefully get to Ireland (and even Scotland) to see some great courses there and then make its way back to me whenever down the road. I can hope it all comes through.

Now, as soon as the tags get here, I'll figure the best way to release it! :(

It's a swatch of a quilt that was made by my mother in my father's memory (he passed this past August from cancer).

Very cool! but seriously, don't release anything you aren't willing to lose. Especially something like that.

Edited by BlueDeuce

It's tiny. It's like a 3X3 (inches) swatch. Didn't take long for my mother to make it. I just want to find something that will secure it to the tags a little more than the little chain that comes with it. Just to make it so, if someone opts they want to keep it, they'll have to either deface the swatch or take a long time to remove everything. :(

It's tiny. It's like a 3X3 (inches) swatch. Didn't take long for my mother to make it. I just want to find something that will secure it to the tags a little more than the little chain that comes with it. Just to make it so, if someone opts they want to keep it, they'll have to either deface the swatch or take a long time to remove everything. :(

Okay. (I'd still feel bad for you if it got lost)

Probably a topic for another thread (like how to attach a traveler) but did you want to encase it in something or let it go natural?

Okay. (I'd still feel bad for you if it got lost)

Probably a topic for another thread (like how to attach a traveler) but did you want to encase it in something or let it go natural?

Either way, to be honest. My goal is to have it attached to a note saying what the swatch is and its goal. Outside of that, I just want to have it be as safe as possible and maybe deter it from being stolen. :D

I'm open to any ideas/suggestions.

And thanks for the thoughts. I'd be a little upset if it goes missing, too, but more for the reason that this TB is in my dad's memory.

This is our first TB and will be released in FL in a couple of weeks.

019c4c9d-948c-4bcc-87a4-b75e511c5f96.jpg

This is Dreet's story told by my son.

I got Dreet when I was about 2 years old, and I played with him until I was about 4 years old. One year we went to Florida and I buried him under the sand while I was playing with him. Moments later, when I tried to dig him up, he was gone. The tide had taken him. I was so upset about losing Dreet. Years later, my parents found a person in Oregon selling a toy that looked just like Dreet. So my parents bought him for me. Now he will again roam as a travel bug.

Dreet's Page

Edited by TNMAD1

That's an awful nice spidey. Are you sure it isn't too nice?

And really you should link to the original

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=147298

He's only about 1.5 in tall. I got the Spiderman Monopoly game on clearance just for this, and will be turning four of the other tokens into other TBs. One Spiderman and three Villians...If the villians get caught by Spiderman all the logs they have will be deleted? People will probably hate me, but as WRITE SHOP ROBERT says, it's MY toy( I might adjust that mission a little). So, $16 for five TBs and I still have the money and properties I may try to sell on ebay to someone who has lost some of their set, I might get a couple dollars back.

I linked to both and will add a line that it was not my idea. There's plenty of room to add a few more links as I hear if them.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

Over the other side of The Pond on the UK Forum there is a rather long thread about the UK Counties and which ones should be recognised because the names get changed and the boundaries get shifted around from time to time, just to keep us all on our toes. I decided that I'd get them properly counted by geocachers and so I recently released the English County Counter which has a little added incentive for cachers to move it on into a new county. MrsB :blink:

b7bd50ae-1315-4a64-9691-b4fdeb24e460.jpg

Ok, I now released 3 TBs in the wild. First wanted to start just one but then searching my "box of trash and memorys" I found others that wanted to travel, too:

The Travelling Forkliftcat (TB29KH3):

9a50b8c2-7d08-4823-95e6-546ec790a616.jpg

It was my first idea but second to be released because I first had to make an image of the idea and then buy a keychain with the picture.

Little Blue Banana (TB29KGZ)

ab620894-8c6a-4bd1-84fb-ec61ea524441.jpg

The first one that has actually travelled but for now has not been placed in a new cache, so it still has 0 km.

Black Forest Ape (TB29PKQ)

e16c0268-3316-489f-9ead-33ba58c3769c.jpg

I realized I haven't thought about this ape about twenty years or so when I discovered him in my old toy box. So I decided he should see something of the world. The Black Forest in Germany is not big enough for an ape looking for adventures...

I hope they will travel and not become MIA too soon :)

Hello! I just released my very first Travel Bug yesterday. I don't know how to post the link without giving the TB numbers, so just look at my profile. It's called "Traveling Soldier." I have a son, turning 20 in a few weeks, who enlisted in the Army when he was 17. He left home for Basic Training during the summer following his junior year of high school, graduated Basic Training, returned to attend his senior year and graduate high school, left again for Advanced Individual Training, graduated AIT, returned home for a few short months, then left again and is now stationed at Fort Hood, Texas. All this leaving and returning has really taken a toll on his younger sisters, we are a close family, they haven't seen him in over 6 months, and they miss him terribly. We created this travel bug with the hopes of it traveling to Fort Hood, Texas before he leaves for his deployment to Iraq some time next May or June. We placed it in a brand new cache that a local geocacher placed near our home, a very unique cache. Wish us luck!

Hello! I just released my very first Travel Bug yesterday. I don't know how to post the link without giving the TB numbers, so just look at my profile. It's called "Traveling Soldier." I have a son, turning 20 in a few weeks, who enlisted in the Army when he was 17. He left home for Basic Training during the summer following his junior year of high school, graduated Basic Training, returned to attend his senior year and graduate high school, left again for Advanced Individual Training, graduated AIT, returned home for a few short months, then left again and is now stationed at Fort Hood, Texas. All this leaving and returning has really taken a toll on his younger sisters, we are a close family, they haven't seen him in over 6 months, and they miss him terribly. We created this travel bug with the hopes of it traveling to Fort Hood, Texas before he leaves for his deployment to Iraq some time next May or June. We placed it in a brand new cache that a local geocacher placed near our home, a very unique cache. Wish us luck!

Here you go: Traveling Soldier Dog Tag

Here you go: Traveling Soldier Dog Tag

Thank you VERY MUCH! Blue Duece, you always seem to have the answers. Now, when I click on this link, I see the TB number displayed on the page. Is that because I am the owner and am logged in? I'm going to assume that's the case and others can't see the number. Thanks again!

Other cachers accessing that page will not be able to see the tracking number located under Trackable Item Options. If ever you want to give a reference number use the one located in the upper right that says Use TB29FW8 to reference this item.

To post a link in the forums, copy off the url - (in this case http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1719301) and when you post in the thread, just above where you are typing you'll see an image of a world with two links of a chain (just left of the letter and tree image), click that and paste the link, select Okay and give it a name/title.

you always seem to have the answers.

Thanks, but I started by asking the same questions myself. Still learning too.

Happy Caching!

By the way, nice bug.

Edited by BlueDeuce