Around the world in 80 ways

Discombob

:unsure:

We accept DiscomBob’s decision. Hey this only a game. The caching family must have read the rules on the coin’s page and they just played according to that.

The longest distance rule can also be interpreted in two ways (per racer or racer with longest distance), but this time the DiePienaars coin would score most as it traveled from New Zealand to the UK. 19142.1 Km/11894.3Miles in one hop. (Only to the moon can beat that)

We are also glad to see Cybervoorterker on the move after been kidnapped.

I've really enjoyed this race - I have just been amazed how DiePienaars coins has kept it's momentum the entire year - brilliant - if only all our TB's and coins could have such a great story.

I'm also looking forward to the psot mortem - e.g. most interesting post / most unusual cache or event attended / how many total miles / number of caches etc.

Perhaps we should get a statsguru in?

I've thoruoughly enjoyed my first race.

:unsure:

We also enjoyed this race tremendously.

There were a few scare moments. In an Australia cache I thought for a moment the coin was missing as three weeks went pass and cachers log that they don’t see any coins. Turns up then that a New Zealander picked it up while on holiday and logged it only when he was back. Then when the coin hit the Bahamas I thought now its going to collect dormancy points, then it turned out that another cacher on his honey moon was on the same ship and took the coin back to the US, and he was a newbie and received a GPS as a gift before his wedding. The coin was picked up on his second cache ever found. The two cachers traveled on the same ship, but still they did not know of each other. (It’s amazed how much luck the coin had).

I have just learnt how BIG geocaching in the US is. (No wonder that they can have these MEGA events)

I think if any other racer made it to the US first, he would have been the winner as the American geocaching is just that HUGE. If you look at their profiles, to see family caching from grand parents to grand kids, the whole family. Also to have less than 1000 finds you are still a newbie.

We also made a few caching friends around the world that is now on our friend list and is still following the coins progress.

I have also learnt quite a bit geographically about some places that I never heard of. (All thanks to this race), as obviously I was also following all the racers and I then theck out the caches and places they are at.

The most interesting cache I have seen is in the US (GC1JTJY Please water Mr. C's Flowers ) where you need to take 5 gallons of water to the cache and water the plants, and walla the cache pop up somewhere. Unfortunately this is where the coin was penalised.

stars and stripes found a hidden word, ICE for 50 points

Hmm, sorry to get picky again here, but ICE turned into a regular word on March 27 :unsure:

But I'm very glad to see that Stars&Stripes got moving again :unsure: Now if only the holder of Bugket woudl keep her promise...

Happy New Year everyone!

good lord, how diligent

guess the old brain is slipping. Thinks its because I had left my notes on the other pc I used for the 1st half of the year. Silly me. Consider that 25 points docked from Stars and stripes!

stars and stripes found a hidden word, ICE for 50 points

Hmm, sorry to get picky again here, but ICE turned into a regular word on March 27 <_<

But I'm very glad to see that Stars&Stripes got moving again :blink: Now if only the holder of Bugket woudl keep her promise...

Happy New Year everyone!

good lord, how diligent

guess the old brain is slipping. Thinks its because I had left my notes on the other pc I used for the 1st half of the year. Silly me. Consider that 25 points docked from Stars and stripes!

Pulls me "dpwn" closer to cincols racer. Makes for an interestuing dash for the line!!!! :rolleyes:

ok here are the final scores before the end of the race:

position change score racer

1 25 1392 DiePienaars TFTC Geocoin

2 19 954 Remy the Rat from the Cape

3 77 952 Pooks Chameleon

4 46 934 Little Nokia

5 32 893 Pooks Shell-Struck

6 17 870 Load Shedder

7 79 817 Dewald's Racing Hummer

8 38 763 Theres a hole in my Bug-ket

9 -25 755 Stars & Stripes

10 47 729 Ho-Humm

11 7 714 Hamlet

12 70 708 Dewald's Racing Audi TT

13 34 583 Doobie the Camel

14 25 579 Bolivian Bob

15 25 531 Feng Shui Compass Geocoin

16 41 386 CYBER VOORTREKKER

Notes:

hamlet, Load Shedder, stars and stripes, little nokia - no score

dormancy - Ho-humm, diepienaars coin (1st time ever), Bolivian bob, Doobie the camel, Feng shui compass coin, there a hole in my bugket, Racing TT

dewalds racing hummer has made it to Germany

Pooks Chameleon - does not score for coles park reserve or sea rose villa cache, as stop and drop by same cacher, so highest scoring cache gets the points, to hell and back. Also does not score points for return trip to USA

Cyber Voortrekker - has finally been placed after being in the hands of a cacher for 7 months! Time for a comeback?

Thank you

I heard stars & Stripes has one last push to overtake Cincol?

After the Cyber Voortrekker story - there's hope for the bugket.

As an aside - I was fortunate to be able to complete a race and bring the winner of the Great Arabian Rat Race over the weekend.

It took 15 odd months for the winning rat TB to make it from the UAE to Cape Town TB hotel and back to Jebel Hafeet cache. So Tarzan the Tree Rat has been declared the winner - some of you may have taken place and helped?

Thank you

I heard stars & Stripes has one last push to overtake Cincol?

After the Cyber Voortrekker story - there's hope for the bugket.

As an aside - I was fortunate to be able to complete a race and bring the winner of the Great Arabian Rat Race over the weekend.

It took 15 odd months for the winning rat TB to make it from the UAE to Cape Town TB hotel and back to Jebel Hafeet cache. So Tarzan the Tree Rat has been declared the winner - some of you may have taken place and helped?

Hole in My Bugket is not DEAD!!!!!!!!

He's resurrected and done an amazing jump. In Hong Kong now - pity we didn't have moves like this throughout.

Glad to hear that Bug-ket resurfaced (I was just about to write the lady another nice email)!

It's Stars & Stripes that's in Hong Kong, though.

Good luck to both your TBs in their future travels!

Hey, the race is almost over - and I for one am excited about seeing the final results soon.

I'm still rooting for Pooks Chameleon to make it to #2 :)

Oh goodness, I've been so busy recently, lets hope I can get the results out in time!

and dont forget all the extra points for various acheivements still to be added!

Who knows what surprises will be popping out of the bag during the final lap! I really enjoyed the format and rules of this race - it made it very interesting.

Agreed - I have enjoyed the format of the race.

Even if it was frustrating having TB's sitting doing nothing for a few months - and also thinking one had good points -and then seeing that the rules penalised you.

I've just had a wonderful last sprint by Stars & Stripes - Germany to Hong Kong and back. But the new cacher who picked it up in HK - moved it a few km and then dipped it into a virtual before sending back to Germany - hope that it does not get penalised for a cacher not reading the rules!!! Sent him an email - and he stopped dipping!

I think the minor placings are going to be very interesting. Looking forward to the final results and placings. In the meanwhile a HUGE THANK YOU to Discombob for administrating the race. Good for you and we enjoyed it. Although winning is great, just being able to participate was fantastic and it was good to see my TB's moving around the world in pursuit of glory - albeit they never seemed to find any!! :)

Edited by cincol

well, the race is over. I have done up the final scores, excluding all the various best of awards, so will supply the final score when I have done that over the next few days!

good luck all :o

As usual DB has been on the nail. Well done and thanks for the great work that you did for the Race. Looking forward to seeingthe final results. :mad:

Hey, before releasing the final score, there are a lot of awards to dish out, so you never know how they could affect the final result. In most places, I am awarding 30 points for 1st place, 20 for second place, and 10 compensation points for last place.

As might be expected, Diepienaars coin did pretty well in the awards, but a lot of the awards are also given on a per cache basis, so anyone could win those.

I am giving away an incredible 1020 points in these prizes. The awards are:

- most caches found:

1st - diepienaars coin(32)

2nd - Remy the rat (22)

Last - cyber voortrekker - (5)

greatest distance travelled:

1st - diepienaars coin -29211 miles

2nd - dewalds racing hummer - 17838 miles

Last - cyber voortrekker - 674 miles

greatest distance per cache

1st - hole in my bugket (1603 miles)

2nd - dewalds racing hummer (1115)

Last - cyber voortrekker (135)

highest total terrain and difficulty stars

1st - diepiennars (114 stars)

2nd - load shedder (67.5)

Last - cyber voortrekker (13)

greatest difficulty rating per cache:

1st - little Nokia (4.4)

2nd - hole in my bugket - (3.9)

lowest - cyber voortrekker - (2.6)

most countries visited (excluding SA):

1st Pooks shell struck (8)

2nd dewalds racing hummer (7)

Last - feng shui coin and cyber voortrekker (neither left South Africa)

Most SA provinces visited:

Little Nokia, Feng shui coin (both on 4)

More awards in next post

More awards:

most words found:

1st - remy the rat from the cape (13)

2nd - Diepienaars coins, Pooks chameleon (12)

Last - cyber voortrekker - 3

most words per cache:

1st - ho-humm (1.1) - thats more than one secret word per cache found!

2nd - hole in my bugket - 1

least - load shedder - 0.3

Most time stuck in one cache:

1st - bolivian bob (7 months- cache has not been found in all this time, with only one failed find attempt)

2nd - feng shui coin - 4 months, 25 days. (TB is MIA, no longer in cache)

most time stuck with a cacher:

1st - cyber voortrekker - 7months 2 days (a local too, shame on him!)

2nd - hole in my bugket - 6 months 17 days

most FTfs:

1st - Diepienaars - 3

biggest hop:

1st - diepienaars coin (11894 miles, New Zealand to England)

2nd - Dewalds racing hummer, hole in my bugket (7240 miles, Qatar to Canada)

last - cyber voortrekker (299 miles)

Different cache types as a percentage of players total finds:

events - Bolivian Bob - 20%

multis - stars and stripes (44%)

puzzles - hole in my bugket 43%

regular - Dewalds , cyber voortrekker (100%)

And finally, unless I have missed anything, the best photo awards:

Best scenery with TB in - Remy the rat

best photo of TB - Dewalds hummer

most amusing photo - Remy the rat

best looking cacher - pooks shell struck

most interesting place - Dewalds hummer

crappest photo - load shedder

Final scores should be out tomorrow

TA-DAAAHHHH, we have the final scores, ladies and Gentlemen (subject to numerous potential complaints re mistakes made in the final tally, and countless subsequent recounts!!)

and the winners are:

1562 DiePienaars TFTC Geocoin

1064 Remy the Rat from the Cape

994 Little Nokia

987 Dewald's Racing Hummer

972 Pooks Chameleon

953 Pooks Shell-Struck

910 Load Shedder

883 Theres a hole in my Bug-ket

785 Stars & Stripes

759 Ho-Humm

714 Hamlet

708 Dewald's Racing Audi TT

639 Bolivian Bob

591 Feng Shui Compass Geocoin

583 Doobie the Camel

526 CYBER VOORTREKKER

CONGRATS to Diepiennars for being such a triumphant competitor!

Well done to everyone involved, and thanks for not complaining too much about any scoring errors!

I'll be glad to have a years rest now :unsure:

errr, now I just have to think what prizes for the winners shall be!

Brilliant - well done everyone.

Well done to DiePienaars -worthy winners -I never believed you'd keep the early lead you built.

Well done to Cincol - yopu managed to beat me in our private race

And Well done to me!!!! My TB (Hole in the Bugket) beat my sons' (Stars & Stripes) -so they owe me a meal :unsure:

And well done to all the other contestants for a really fun year at the races.

HUGE THANKS to DB - you can start your retirement now!

;)

Thanks DiscomBob for the excellent work you have done over the year. I know that we gave you some headaches but in the end a great job well done.

Well done to all the TB’s, especially The Pooks’s “Rat from the Cape” that gave us a good run.

We enjoyed the race tremendously and made good friends with cachers around the world. Thanks to all the cachers that made it possible for our coin to win.

Well done to VerrueckteFrau for knowing the rules of the game even better than me and picking up on some of my errors ;))

I wont be doing the next race, there was a forum post on that, but I can't recall who is hosting it.

Diepienaars, Remy the Rat is not the Pooks's, it belongs to Caperat!

crappest photo - load shedder

Please tell me that this was the TB's home page picture... Hee hee. I have to blame load shedding for that the lights were out.

Congratulations to DiePienaars... Excellent race buddy. To the rest of the competitors a big applause it was nail biting at times and I was wondering if the Germans would ever let me go... LOL. But alas it was too late... No matter how much i coaxed on some of the people holding on to the TB I am still waiting for a reply...

To DiscomBob, well done. I think you deserve that rest. I look at what you did and think of how much it must have taken up your time... thanks, and enjoy the rest.

To next the next race... lets see what we can muster up. I have a TB out there and I might just add him to the next race.

Thanks for the fun...