10 - 31 - 438 - Pooks Chameleon

11 - 18 - 437 - Dewald's Racing Audi TT

12 - 25 - 399 - Bolivian Bob

13 - 0 - 381 - Doobie the Camel

14 - 0 - 371 - Dewald's Racing Hummer

15 - 0 - 284 - Feng Shui Compass Geocoin

16 - 0 - 178 - CYBER VOORTREKKER

Notes:

no score - Dewalds racing Hummer, Cyber voortrekker, Doobie the Camel, Feng Shui geocoin, Remy the rat from the cape

Dormancy points - Bolivian Bob, Pooks Shell struck, theres a whole in my bug-ket

Load Shedder has made it to Germany

Well done to the big mover this week, Load Shedder with 81 points

Once again thanks to DB for his dedication.

Hey Wazat!! That Load Shedder TB of yours is starting to make an impression now. :D What skiniving tricks are you up to with those European cachers? :huh: DiePienaars need to be careful by the looks of things! :)

Halfway through the race and things suddenly change with a 100 point leap. Looking forward to the next 6 months of racing. It looks as though my Racing Hummer has blown a motor in Canada and my Racing Audi has run out of fuel in Germany. :D:o

Now that the northern hemisphere summer holidays are over and schools start again next week it will be interesting to see what happens with the TB's in the north. Hopefully there will be a flurry of activity before the colder weaather moves in and keeps the cachers indoors for the winter months.

Happy racing everyone.

Actually my TB was in Germany for ages already... just ended up in one of the non geocaching.com caches to start with unfortunately.... But I have no say in what is happening there.... have not contacted anyone since it got to Germany... It needs to do it's own thing.... but now that you mention it!!! mmmm.... Hi Hans... Achtung, Achtung.... Move ze Bug

Hey here are the latest scores as at 30 Sept.

Been a while since an update due to my SA trip.

position change score racer

1 93 976 DiePienaars TFTC Geocoin

2 122 735 Remy the Rat from the Cape

3 25 655 Load Shedder

4 25 636 Little Nokia

5 11 549 Stars & Stripes

6 44 545 Pooks Shell-Struck

7 25 532 Theres a hole in my Bug-ket

8 46 525 Hamlet

9 25 495 Ho-Humm

10 32 470 Pooks Chameleon

11 29 466 Dewald's Racing Audi TT

12 25 424 Bolivian Bob

13 28 409 Doobie the Camel

14 107 391 Feng Shui Compass Geocoin

15 0 371 Dewald's Racing Hummer

16 25 203 CYBER VOORTREKKER

Well done to our big movers this month:

Remy the rat - 122 points

Feng shui coin - 107 points

Diepienarrs coin - 93 points

Hamlet and pooks chameleon both got a very rare FTF

Dormancy points - Ho-humm, Bolivian Bob, Cyber voortrekker, Load Shedder, Feng

shui compass geocoin (although it did receive further ponts for a move as

well), Pooks Shell Sruck (although it did get other points for a late logging),

Theres a hole in my bug-ket, little nokia

Diepienarrs coin - 1st racer to make it to USA

Dewalds racing hummer - seems to have been moved to switzerland , and now maybe

UK or denamrk, but no-ones logged it, so no points yet. will hold up on

dormancy points to see if it gets logged

Remy the rat from the cape has made it to sweden and ireland

Hey, here are the latest scores:

1 - 101 - 1077 DiePienaars TFTC Geocoin

2 - 0 - 735 Remy the Rat from the Cape

3 - 18 - 673 Load Shedder

4 - 25 - 661 Little Nokia

5 - 156 - 626 Pooks Chameleon

6 - 205 - 576 Dewald's Racing Hummer

7 - 25 - 557 Theres a hole in my Bug-ket

8 - 0 - 549 Stars & Stripes

9 - 0 - 545 Pooks Shell-Struck

10 - 7 - 532 Hamlet

11 - 37 - 532 Ho-Humm

12 - 25 - 491 Dewald's Racing Audi TT

13 - 45 - 454 Doobie the Camel

14 - 25 - 449 Bolivian Bob

15 - 25 - 416 Feng Shui Compass Geocoin

16 - 25 - 228 CYBER VOORTREKKER

Notes:

Well done to diepienaars for reaching the coveted 1000 points!

Some big movers this time, with Racing Hummer scoring 205 points, and Pooks chameleon 156 points and diepienaars coin 101 points!

Diepienaars coin do not score for Autumn's Treasures and Early Halloween Geo Bash 2008 as drop and retreive by same cacher. Coin has made it to Bahamas

Dewalds racing hummer has made it to UK and Finland, and has been found after a period of being missing

pooks chameleon does not score for Hidden Bike Trail as drop and grab by same cacher

Has made it to USA, and went missing and is found again.

Bolivian bob, cyber voortrekker, feng shui coin, theres a hole in my bugket, little nokia - domancy points

shell-struck - seems to have been logged and not dropped. Am holidjg off on dormancy points until we see what happens to it in case it still gets logged

Remy the rat from the cape, stars and stripes - no score

<snip>

shell-struck - seems to have been logged and not dropped. Am holidjg off on dormancy points until we see what happens to it in case it still gets logged

<snip>

I have pulled out all the stops to cajole the relevant cachers to update Shell-Strucks logs to no avail. The sweetest syrupiest pleas and nudges, but no response...

Hey, here are the latest scores:

Some big movers this time, with Racing Hummer scoring 205 points, and Pooks chameleon 156 points and diepienaars coin 101 points!

WOW - my Hummer's 205 points must be pretty close to a record score there! :blink: After having been to 3 or so caches in Canada and Switzerland without being logged in or out it is now starting to make a comeback. Must have something to do with the fuel that was used in the UK to fill the tank up? :anicute: DB, what do they put in the fuel there?

Congrats to the other big movers as well. Pity about the ones that have been lost though. :blink:

Thanks for the info DB.

Congrats to the movers. Nice to see that TB’s make there appearances again.

We just wish to be the TFTC coin as he is seeing the world. The coin is lying on an island in the Bahamas now sipping long glasses (I hope he don’t like it to much as he is in a race). If the coin can make it to New Zealand or Australia the coin would have traveled around the world.

This coin received 190 points once for one cache alone, and don’t know how many caches Hummer used for his 205 points.

Thanks DB for all your hard work.

Pooks Chameleon managed to hitch a ride with a very "paraat" cacher who actually read the forum and the rules and is giving Dbob quite a run for his money!

She suggests that the official rules be updated to include the change that individual states in USA get an extra 10 pts. In order to be consistent I would suggest that all countries that have states/provinces listed on GC.com (such as SA, USA, UK, Germany, Australia [will have to check on that]) get the 10 pts per state - although that would put extra pressure on the admin.

While browsing the topic in the forum I also noticed that some secret words were uncovered (post #84) - perhaps the rules can be updated with that as well.

Hi pooks

I am sure that everybody would like some extra points for their Tb's. My 2 racers certainly could do with any help that they can get! :D But let;s be realistic about it - the race has passed the halfway mark already and it would be very difficult to start cahnging th erules at this stage - as much as we would all like the rules changed to give more points for our racers. It is almost akin to starting a rugby match then at half time telling the referee that the 2nd half will be blown using rugby league rules!

Not sure if I am makng sense, but my 2c worth would be let's leave the playing field as it is and let the race run through to completion under the current rules. Maybe we can start putting a set of rules together for the 2009 race so that when it begins in 4 months time the rules are sorted out and all debate around them has come to an end.

I wonder who will be the "administrator" next year? :D I am sure that this one has created an allergy with poor old Discombob where TB races are concerned! :)

Wht do the rest of the TB owners have to say about the race?

Hey, finally got my Forum login to work and can add my 2 cents myself :D

I'm the cacher whose family helped the Pooks Chameleon along a bit (I think after DB recounts it should add up to a gain of about 216 pts instead of the 156), and all I was suggesting was that the rules that Discombob had already established in the forum should be added to the official rules page - I was not suggesting adding new rules or changing them.

I am enjoying watching your race - and I sure don't envy DB the job of trying to keep all this straight and getting all those points for that many TBs all counted up :)

On first glance, these were the changes that I spotted here the Forum that were not reflected on the Rules page:

Feb 16:

Besides the publised words which score points, there are 5 hidden words. These will score 50 points if achieved by luck.

Feb 29:

OK Earth caches and webcams are excluded

Virtuals stay in, as the system allows you to log in and out of Virtuals

Hey guess what!!!

Its LEAP YEAR DAY

To celebrate, your biggest LEAP of the year will be doubled! cool.gif

Mar 27:

There words were ICE, SONG, SPORT, FOREIGN, CAKE

I'll add these words to the normal list, so you can still score normal word points for them

but of course now I need 5 new secret words which I'll decide on now.

Apr 30:

Notes:

I have added the 10 points for SA provinces. the 10 points can also be scored for USA and Canada states, and Australia as well - I won't be doing this for european countries, so don't ask)

Your first province in Sa wont score, and neither will your 1st stae in the other countries, as you are already getting country points for that.

Aug 16:

So just to let you know there will be extra points at the end of the race for various acheivements, such as:

- Most words found per cache

- greatest distance tavelled

- highest difficulty rating per cache

- Longest time spent in a cache

(Oh, and btw: I am one of your dreaded German cachers :D located in the US now, though)

Cincol

I was about to say, but Verruektefrau added a post that explains it all...

I was not trying to add anything new to the rules, I was only stating that changes discussed in the forums (post #84 and #85) be incorporated in the official rules. Furthermore, in fairness and for simplicity, I proposed that ALL states that are specified as such on GC.com, be given the same benefit/points - in no way does that give our bugs any extra benefit, it mereley straightens the rules / makes it easier for others to understand.

Edited to add: The suggestion about giving all states 10 points can be kept for another race. I missed the point made by DB early on that Germany states would not count. Also UK introduced states sometime after the race started. I agree that changing the rules to include all states would be somewhat after the fact. It would be a good rule for a future race though, as it would level the field and be easier to understand. As it is it is the minority of cachers who end up studying the rules (I think).

Edited by the pooks

Pooks et al

Points taken. I never realized that the rules that were debated where not actually incorporated into the official "rules" page. OTOH, has DB not been applying them? I do not analyse the composition of the scores every month - I only look at the totals and trust that DB has tallied them as per the rules.

Have a caching week. :(

Points taken. I never realized that the rules that were debated where not actually incorporated into the official "rules" page. OTOH, has DB not been applying them? I do not analyse the composition of the scores every month - I only look at the totals and trust that DB has tallied them as per the rules.

Have a caching week. :grin:

Well, the reason why the rules were never updated on the rule page is that I dont have access to edit the rule page, and poor old QFC seemed a bit bogged down to be updating all this nonsense :grin: .

Part of the reason why I did not want to include european states for provincial scores, is that USA, SA, Australia and Canada are very large countries, and fairly removed from other countries. Whereas european countries in general are very close together, and generally smaller in size (with a few exceptions), so TBs hitting europe would be getting extra points for various different countries moving around the continent, whereas USA/Ausie TBs would not get points for different countries by moving around the continent

Cincol, of course I am applying all the updated rules, but it is advisable to double check. For example, I did not pick up that on pooks chameleon that micro was one of the words to find, so I still need to add an extra 25 points there. I also got confused over a multiple cacher hop and drop, so will double check this next week and update the score then.

Hey well done VerrueckteFrau for picking up all the rule changes! Impressive :D

And I see i must still list what the extra points for achievements are!

well, after correcting 2 mistakes I made on pooks chameleon, his score has gone up from 626 to 687!

nice one! just goes to show, it pays to be awake!

Awesome! Thanks for the recount, Discombob :D

Looks like the chameleon is going strong right now, in Texas, with people who noticed that there's points to be collected for this TB :D

well, after correcting 2 mistakes I made on pooks chameleon, his score has gone up from 626 to 687!

nice one! just goes to show, it pays to be awake!

Awesome! Thanks for the recount, Discombob :D

Looks like the chameleon is going strong right now, in Texas, with people who noticed that there's points to be collected for this TB :D

Well spotted - now do you think you could head off and find my 2 MIA TB's? :D

WOW - Seems as though we have the Chicago Super Sleuth in our midst here! tongue_animated.gif Well done on your TB tracking down skills. Perhaps when you have found the missing racers you could start on the ones that have been "abandoned" in TB Prisons as well! :anibad::blink:

Which ones are those?

Here are things I'd do if I had a TB gathering mold in a cache:

1. Post a note on the cache page, asking the next visitor to please move this particular TB

2. Write a cache owner a really friendly email asking him/her to check on his next maintenance run to see if the TB is indeed still there and also to please move it

A friend of mine had dropped my 2 racing TBs into a rarely visited cache in New Zealand, and strategy #1 caught the attention of a local cacher who moved them to a busy cache within a day!

So it's always worth a try.

As for the TB tracking skills - it's really more of a people tracking skill: In addition to sending a friendly note to the last logged holder you also read the logs, for the last cache and other caches that holder recently found. There's a pretty good chance that you'll find a reference to another cacher who's connected to the holder. So you contact them as well.

Found the brother-in-law of the person who logged Bug-ket last that way, contacted him too. No response yet, but it's worth a try, especially as Bug-ket's last holder logged that she passed the TB on to him (and isn't caching herself anymore (no login for a few months, after only 12 Finds).

Hey here are the latest scores:

1 64 1141 DiePienaars TFTC Geocoin

2 155 781 Pooks Chameleon

3 25 760 Remy the Rat from the Cape

4 71 732 Little Nokia

5 25 698 Load Shedder

6 137 682 Pooks Shell-Struck

7 57 633 Dewald's Racing Hummer

8 66 598 Hamlet

9 25 582 Theres a hole in my Bug-ket

10 25 574 Stars & Stripes

11 25 557 Ho-Humm

12 46 537 Dewald's Racing Audi TT

13 31 485 Doobie the Camel

14 25 474 Bolivian Bob

15 25 441 Feng Shui Compass Geocoin

16 25 253 CYBER VOORTREKKER

Well, I hate to be pessimistic, but looks like its going to be hard to catch up to Diepienaars. Come on guys, where's that close race we want?

Notes:

Well done to our high movers, Pooks chameleon with 155 points, and Pooks shelll struck with 137. Go Pooks!!

Dormancy - Ho-Humm, Bolivian Bob, Cyber Voortrekker, Load Shedder,Feng Shui compass coin, Remy the rat from the cape, Theres a hole in my bugket, stars and stripes

Dewalds racing hummer has made it to Sweden

Pooks chameleon has found one of the 5 hidden words - Blue

Doobie the Camel does not score points for Black steed/white steed and Fin highway 4, as drop and retreives by the same cacher

Pooks shell struck - seems I did not add the points for UK last cache, so have added now. Has also now made it to Greece

Plus he gets dormancy points, as I beliece TB logging was backdated

Thanks Discombob

But it seems as if my software is becoming outdated. I have received Word documents recently that also require a convertor. Today I downloaded this that will hopefully open DB's file.

docXConvertor

Question is: what is this all about and where do I get the software. Is it much better that MSoffice and worth getting?

Edited to add:

PS: the free version of the docXConvertor only converts part of the document. Will have to look for something better.

Edited to add:

This works better (27MB though)

Office 2007 compatibility pack

Edited by the pooks

Found the brother-in-law of the person who logged Bug-ket last that way, contacted him too. No response yet, but it's worth a try.

There's a little glimmer of hope for Bug-Ket. Just got an email from the in-law:

"I finally managed to get hold of RaDaR 751 and she promised me she would fix it tonight. Sorry for the delay

SeaOpsO"

Thank you

Hopefully in time for a late surge to the finish line?

well, since the last post, we have had the most boring set of results in ther race so far, so i wont even post full scores

this is what happened:

no score - Hamlet, Ho-humm, Dewalds racing hummer, pooks chameleon, Bolivian bob, load shedder, doobie the camel, feng shui coin, dewalds racing audi,

dormancy points - cyber voortrekker, Remy the rat from the cape, theres a hole in my bugket, stars and stripes, little nokia

The only 2 official scoring TBs, with one cache each were pooks shell struck, who made it to holland, and got 25 points

and dipeinnars coin, which got an FTF and scored 36 points

But I see DiePienaars continues their trek at pace.

Looks like some serious manipulations taking place with those cachers that are doing the moving right now!! :) Hell, who cares - there is NO WAY that anybody can catch Die Pienaars at this late stage. <_< Perhaps we need to see who fends off the wooden spoon though! :)

Hey been a while since the score update, but here are the latest scores.

As a Xmas present to you all, all TBs have socred double points for any cache the TB was in on Christmas day, or the cache last seen in on that day, so points all round. This includes points for words already founbd, plus points for the country in etc.

I had perhaps the biggest dilemma yet in enforcing my rules in Dec, as Diepiennars coin was involved in a multi-day cache hopping spree with 3 members of a family going caching together with different names.

Now my rules did state that for group cache hopping sprees like this it applied only to SA, but I felt I needed to apply it in this case even though outside of SA.

Also the rules were not clear about it being over a few days, so I made a slight compromise in how I scored, with some caches not scoring at all, some getting half points and some getting a quarter points.

Despite this , Diepienaars coin has extended the lead further!

Further details on that at bottom of post

Also, I recall the the highest distance travelled last year gets doubled - I will add that into next set of scores

the scores are:

1 - 190 - 1367 - DiePienaars TFTC Geocoin

2 - 150 - 935 - Remy the Rat from the Cape

3 - 131 - 888 - Little Nokia

4 - 94 - 875 - Pooks Chameleon

5 - 91 - 861 - Pooks Shell-Struck

6 - 155 - 853 - Load Shedder

7 - 181 - 780 - Stars & Stripes

8 - 105 - 738 - Dewald's Racing Hummer

9 - 118 - 725 - Theres a hole in my Bug-ket

10 - 109 - 707 - Hamlet

11 - 125 - 682 - Ho-Humm

12 - 101 - 638 - Dewald's Racing Audi TT

13 - 80 - 554 - Bolivian Bob

14 - 64 - 549 - Doobie the Camel

15 - 65 - 506 - Feng Shui Compass Geocoin

16 - 67 - 345 - CYBER VOORTREKKER

Notes:

dormancy - hamlet, ho-humm, dewalds racing hummer, bolivian bob, cyber voortrekker, dooobie the camel, theres a hole in my bugket, little nokia, Dewalds racing audi

stars and stripes found a hidden word, ICE for 50 points

Diepienaars geocoin

half points for Columba

quarter for honey cache

half for big red

quarter for see you at the beach

no score for The tree and please water mr flowers

half for caching grandparents are a treat

quarter for time machine

Ooh Discombob, you're getting a run for your money with these rules.

Although I am shooting myself in the foot (and the other racers) and the rules have been stretched to their limits, I would have to admit that The Pienaars coin multi-hopping spree was within the rules as I interpreted it. I am more than prepared to stand by the judges descision, and he is only trying to be fair and reasonable, so let us leave it at that, but technically...

And this doubling of mileage - was it mentioned somewhere?

Thanks for the update!

Well it looks as though DiePienaars have an unassailable lead now with just over a month of the race left. Well done guys! I know when I have been beaten! :unsure: I will be preparing new tags for my 2 racers that can be sent on to the holders of them when the race ends. This was a great exercise and I enjoyed following all the racers on their travels.

I have another TB that started racing yesterday in a race from Kansas City. I am looking forward to following that race for the next year as well. Please let us know when the next Great SA Race is about to begin so that we can get entries ready. :blink:

stars and stripes found a hidden word, ICE for 50 points

Hmm, sorry to get picky again here, but ICE turned into a regular word on March 27 :D

But I'm very glad to see that Stars&Stripes got moving again :D Now if only the holder of Bugket woudl keep her promise...

Happy New Year everyone!

And happy new year to you too.

Glad to see S&S moving again. Rules is rules - so aply accordingly.

I think I'm just up for pride (and beating Cincols racers) now.

Well it looks as though DiePienaars have an unassailable lead now with just over a month of the race left. Well done guys! I know when I have been beaten! :unsure: I will be preparing new tags for my 2 racers that can be sent on to the holders of them when the race ends. This was a great exercise and I enjoyed following all the racers on their travels.

I have another TB that started racing yesterday in a race from Kansas City. I am looking forward to following that race for the next year as well. Please let us know when the next Great SA Race is about to begin so that we can get entries ready. :D

Die Pienaars - watch this space - I heard Loadshedder is planning a trip to the moon for a cache - great milage doubling - but dormancy points thereafter! :blink:

Well done also to Russell for your excellent scorekeeping and updates - a great task - thanks. :)

Yep - a great race - but we still have a few weeks left dont we?

good luck to all for the home straight