Around the world in 80 ways

Discombob

Thanks pooks!

One slight mishap though - Dewald's Racing Audi TT seems to have fallen off your stats there! :D No problem though because it seems as though it might have blown a motor cruising the German Autobahns as it has disappeared from the radar recently!

As for Dewald's Racing Hummer - it seems to have got stuck in the mud somewhere in Nova Scotia. The recent hype in the press about the future of the Hummer brand is obviously playing a role in it "lying low". :blink:

Happy and safe racing guys.

Thanks pooks!

One slight mishap though - Dewald's Racing Audi TT seems to have fallen off your stats there! :blink: No problem though because it seems as though it might have blown a motor cruising the German Autobahns as it has disappeared from the radar recently!

The Audi is on the graph - it just does not show on the legend due to some as yet unknown reason (got something to do with the formatting). I will work on it and post an updated graph. Note added: It seems as if I inadvertantly deleted the legend entry and don't know how to get it back without redoing the whole graph.

Pooks Chameleon is listed in one cache but sitting in another. This was discovered by a very helpful German - I would love to know how he found out. He is working on correcting the problem.

Here's what he had to say:

"Hallo, the pooks

Ich habe euren Hilferuf erhalten und bin der Sache nachgegangen. Das TB Camäleon WT58R3 befindet sich nicht mehr im "Quellgebiet der Zwönitz", sondern ist im "Zwergenbaum" GC1BKN9.

Dort ist es aber nicht geloggt, so dass es nicht im Listing erscheint! Ich werde den Sünder ausfindig machen, damit alles o.k. wird.

Viele Grüsse, Taufichtig"

This race is really testing my high school German to the limit! I try as much as possible to wing it in German on my own, but resort to Babelfish translator sometimes. Babelfish translated "bug" to "Wanze" which apparently is a "weeluis" or louse - not too far off.

Edited by the pooks

Yeah - I've seen a few "funny" things happening in German caches! Mkes you wonder sometimes. Perhaps it is that Autobahn jinx on my Audi that has krept into your graph formatting as well! :blink:

Enjoy the cold wet weather while you can. Yesterday we went caching to a FTF in the desert. It was 52'C and we had to do a 700m hike [up a hill] in order to log the find as well. See http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...fc-b3011419764a

And Pooks Shell-struck is in Czech Republic

Here's one of the logs:

"

My ho našli v Temelíne.

Možná to je jenom zpoždení pri off-line hledání a logy se na net ješte nedostaly ...

My ho asi posuneme do Prahy.

www.MAMULÁCI.cz"

Now I wonder how Discombob is going to find out whether there are any point scoring words on these caches!

Hey thanks for the stats Pooks. good job!

Here are the latest scores as 2 july

position - change - score - racer

1 - 190 - 802 - DiePienaars TFTC Geocoin

2 - 112 - 549 - Load Shedder

3 - 103 - 509 - Little Nokia

4 - 25 - 490 - Stars & Stripes

5 - 34 - 490 - Remy the Rat from the Cape

6 - 25 - 457 - Theres a hole in my Bug-ket

7 - 0 - 431 - Hamlet

8 - 25 - 428 - Ho-Humm

9 - 39 - 420 - Pooks Shell-Struck

10 - 0 - 395 - Dewald's Racing Audi TT

11 - 15 - 365 - Pooks Chameleon

12 - 14 - 349 - Bolivian Bob

13 - 0 - 337 - Dewald's Racing Hummer

14 - 0 - 261 - Doobie the Camel

15 - 0 - 209 - Feng Shui Compass Geocoin

16 - 25 - 153 - CYBER VOORTREKKER

Notes:

Well done to the big movers:

Diepienaars coin - 190 points (and this is from only 1 cache!)

Load Shedder - 112 points

Little Nokia - 103 points

no points - Hamlet, Dewalds Racing Hummer, Dewalds Racing Audi, Doobie the camel, Feng shiui compass geocoin

Dormancy points - Ho-Humm, Cyber Voortrekker, There's a hole in my bugket, Stars and stripes

Diepienaars FTf coin - made a massive jump from NZ to England (11894 miles)

Load Shedder - made it to UK and Baleriac islands

there was some confusion over caches attended. I dont see how a tb can be removed from 2 caches by the same person, so no points for cache Cala Ferrera

Pooks shell struck - no points yet for Do hodin as seems like a multiple place and grab. Will see where bug goes next before deciding on points

Will mail spreadsheet now

Once again thanks for the updates. ;)

As for my TB's - well it looks as though the petrol prices in both Germany and Canada are having a huge effect on the Audi TT and Hummer respectively. ;) I know what to do for the next race though - NO CARS!!! ;) I think I need to get them "recalled" to the Middle East as quickly as possible as we are not affected by the fuel prices! (I wonder why that is? Could oil have something to do with it? I really don't know why we only pay 80c a litre! Perhaps it is because we all drive V8's here - THAT might be the reason our petrol is cheaper. Never thought about it before. :D )

Happy travels to all the competitors - the Summer Holidays are here in earnest now so those in the Northern Hemispere should start clocking up some serious mileages soon. Yeah - and remember that MY TB's must TRAVEL from cache to cache - not rest and enjoy the scenery. They can do that from March 2009! :D

there was some confusion over caches attended. I dont see how a tb can be removed from 2 caches by the same person, so no points for cache Cala Ferrera

That was a mistake on the cacher's part. The TB never made it into the Cala Ferrara cache. They had trouble removing it too. Lost the TB tracking number and after emails back and forth they managed to get it into the correct cache. So if it affected me in any way ooops. But points must not be awarded to me for Cala ferrara cache. The TB went thus from Team Peppers in the UK to Caló des Borgit, will this make any difference? Also I am not sure but one of them means Beach either Cala or Caló might have to make sure on that.... could be an extra 25 points there... lol.

Go Load shedder, you have the power. Well done to DiePienaars on the big hop, great stuff. So glad i got to discover the coin before it went on it's travells.... Cincol, do you have to brag about your petrol, dammit...

Edited by Wazat

That was a mistake on the cacher's part. The TB never made it into the Cala Ferrara cache. They had trouble removing it too. Lost the TB tracking number and after emails back and forth they managed to get it into the correct cache. So if it affected me in any way ooops. But points must not be awarded to me for Cala ferrara cache. The TB went thus from Team Peppers in the UK to Caló des Borgit, will this make any difference? Also I am not sure but one of them means Beach either Cala or Caló might have to make sure on that.... could be an extra 25 points there... lol.

Thanks for the explanation. The points are correct then.

With regards Beach/calo, word points don't score in foreign langauages, as I cant be trying to translate every foreign cache. thats why I award word points per foreign langauge, so those TBs in non english areas can at least score some word points.

here are the scores as at 21 july.

Diepienarrs TFTC Geocoin has increased their lead further! Come on guys, someone must put up a bit of a challenge for him!

position change score racer

1 - 41 - 843 - DiePienaars TFTC Geocoin

2 - 73 - 563 - Remy the Rat from the Cape

3 - 0 - 549 - Load Shedder

4 - 17 - 526 - Little Nokia

5 - 25 - 515 - Stars & Stripes

6 - 56 - 476 - Pooks Shell-Struck

7 - 41 - 472 - Hamlet

8 - 0 - 457 - Theres a hole in my Bug-ket

9 - 0 - 428 - Ho-Humm

10 - 8 - 403 - Dewald's Racing Audi TT

11 - 25 - 374 - Bolivian Bob

12 - 0 - 365 - Pooks Chameleon

13 - 25 - 362 - Dewald's Racing Hummer

14 - 25 - 286 - Doobie the Camel

15 - 50 - 259 - Feng Shui Compass Geocoin

16 - 0 - 153 - CYBER VOORTREKKER

Notes:

No score - Ho-Humm, Pooks Chameleon, Cyber Voortrekker, Load Shedder, There's a Hole in my Bug-ket

Dormancy points - Stars & Stripes TB, (in cache not found since 21 May) Dewald's Racing Hummer, Doobie the Camel (stuck in a cache which hasn't been found since 11 April)

Pooks Shell-struck - no score for Do Hodin, as drop and retreive by same cacher, and following cache scores higher of the 2

Pooks Shell-struck has made it to Hungary

Remy the Rat - well done on finding the word Chocolate - A tricky one to get! And also becoming the 1st TB to find 10 secret words!

Remy the Rat is our big mover this week with 73 points.

There's a Hole in my Bug-ket and Ho-Humm - might be missing, muggled cache or missing from in cache

Diepiennars TFTC coin - well done on being 1st to score over 100 on star points!

Edited by Discombob

Thanks Bob - as always a great job on keeping track on the racers.

My Hummer has been "hijacked" by a Canadian family with a kid who has taken a liking to the TB!! :sad: What can I do but wait until they deceide to place it some day. I have PM'd them without any luck.

My Audi has run out of fuel in a German autobahn cache and the petrol prices in Europe aren't helping matters either. One thing I have learned from this race is not to have anything with an internal combustion engine involved!! Next time 'round I will send something into the world that can survive under its own steam rather - like a hybrid Norwegian Rat caught on the docks in Durban or in the gutters of the streets of Cape Town CBD!! :sad:

Well done to the top racers this month. 5 months of the race have gone by now - the halfway post looms and the points are mounting. DiePienaars TFTC is closing in on 1000 points and Cyber Voortrekker is battling to reach 200 still. What is quite amazing is that no racers have gome MIA so far. :huh: Let's hopethat this is a good sign for the future. Ho-Humm was in a scare on that German multi and Bug-ket has thankfully been "found".

Happy racing to all and let's see what the situation is like at the halfway point next month. :huh:

Nope - I thought Bug-ket had been found

But it was a misunderstanding. No Bug-ket.

And Stars and Stripes - well it's not even a high Star cache - just one of those oput the way ones I guess.

Hope it gets found now that the germans are having good weather.

Well done to all the movers and shakers.

Edited by Carbon Hunter

To those poor folks whose TBs might be muggled - remember, they can be replaced at a cost of 100 points!

And what happens if the original reappears?

Yes, according to reports Ho-Humm is still there is one stage of the multi. But the owner has disabled the whole cache and doesn't seem to be in a hurry to fix it! :D;)

Yes, according to reports Ho-Humm is still there is one stage of the multi. But the owner has disabled the whole cache and doesn't seem to be in a hurry to fix it! :D:sad:

Welcome to the Club! ;) It seems as though Hummers are not the most successful means of transport in getting around the world these days. Perhaps we should look to one of the other 79 ways of doing it? The cacher who picked up my Hummer in Vancouver is definatley in no hurry to get it to another cache - even after sending e-mails to them! They certainly do not understand the words "racing" and "race". Obviously they speak a different English there to what we are used to. :D

As a consolation prize we at least scored 25 points for going nowhere! :smile: Thanks for that DB anyway. At this rate I should have at least another 300 points added my total through dormancy bonusses. :D

Let's see what the next month holds for us!!?? :grin:

Welcome to the Club! :rolleyes: It seems as though Hummers are not the most successful means of transport in getting around the world these days. Perhaps we should look to one of the other 79 ways of doing it?

Must be something to do with their reputation as petrol guzzlers! :blink:

Or - maybe they are just letting the others get a head-start.... :antenna:

To those poor folks whose TBs might be muggled - remember, they can be replaced at a cost of 100 points!

And what happens if the original reappears?

Errrr, I'm not too sure really!

IMHO I would guess that the "original" TB would then continue its mission and collect dormancy points for the period that the "replacement TB" was active and all "replacement" points forfeited and the 100 points for replacing the TB reinstated. :D:D That would seem fair as after all it was the "original" that was entered in the race for starters. However, if the "original" does not resurface then the "replacement's" points would stand.

Need to get this one wrapped up ASAP as there are potentially 2 TB's that might be involved.

welll it does depend on if you are replacing the TB with a new one on the same tag number or a new one on a different tag. If its on a different tag, i agree that the replacement points be suppered, and backdated on the old TB.

If its on the same tag number that would issues as there would then be 2 TBs and it would not be possible to keep tabs on the TBs

So i suggest using a new TB number if you are replacing a TB that might resurface. if theres no chance of resurfacing, you may use the same number

Sorry guys - after reading and re-reading my suggestion it does sound a bit Irish! Let me do it in South African then. There are 2 scenarios - and the choice will need to be made by the owner BEFORE the replacement TB is re-entered and that choice needs to be made known to DB at the time of the "replacement TB" being let loose.

Scenario 1

TB XYZ has 345 points and goes MIA. It is replaced in the race with TB ABC [whether a copy TB or a new one] and continues the race from the date it was re-entered. Points are therefore 345 - 100 = 245 points PLUS any dormancy points that might have accrued. All points for the race are then added from that point on. Should the "original TB" then resurface Scenario 2 will come into effect.

Scenario 2

TB XYZ is "found" and is racing again. TB ABC will withdraw from the race scoring and points forfeited as TB XYZ would now have the 100 points for replacement reinstated and the dormancy points would apply. So, the 345 points woud stand PLUS the dormancy points versus 245 points plus whatever has been accrued since TB ABC started.

A bit of a gamble by the owner but with the decision being made up front it amounts to simple risk management. I hope this is not too confusing?? :o

Thoughts of others perhaps? :ph34r:

We are also happy with Cincol's scenario 1 and 2, provided that the replacement date forwarded to DB, and the exact date when the old TB resurfaces as the dates will be important for the points.

Looks like the Rat from the Cape is trying to catch up with us.

We will try to keep our coin out of Germany. Maybe Load Shedder should not go to Germany.

Aaaargh already there and in a New cache... Not listed last time i looked too....

But the Germans are a nice bunch..... They will move my TB I am sure.... Schnel Her cachers

Well stars & Stripes eventually got out of it's German Concentration camp!! :unsure:

And a cacher has indicated taking it to an event next weekend.

Well it looks like the guys travelling in Eastern Europe are doing well - that was a surprise for me.

I have a number of TB's and coins travelling the world and have a couple of [subjective] observations that I can make. It would interesting to hear comments from people like Fish Eagle and GlobalRat who have large numbers of travellers out there as well.

Countries where travellers move - Eastern Europe, Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Australia, New Zealand

Countries where travellers stagnate - Sri Lanka, Germany, Switzerland, UK, Canada, Middle East

As for racers I think it is a matter of who the cacher is who picks it up. I have seen from my own experience, that of fellow competotors and from travellers that I have found that are in different races that some cachers make a concerted effort to move a racer and others do diddly squat! I have noticed that a tag indicating race participation doesn't seem to make any difference at all. There are a few exceptions to this though.

Happy racing everyone and have a great weekend.

Happy weekend!

Just because you live in an Arab country - doesn't mean the rest of us go on weekend on Thursday afternoon (hee hee) :P

Jealousy makes you nasty!! :unsure: You will get used to it pretty quickly. Just a bummer to have to work on a Sunday though. :D:ph34r:

Here are the scores as at 6 August (nearly half way through the race!)

position change score racer

1 - 21 - 864 - DiePienaars TFTC Geocoin

2 - 50 - 613 - Remy the Rat from the Cape

3 - 25 - 551 - Little Nokia

4 - 0 - 549 - Load Shedder

5 - 15 - 530 - Stars & Stripes

6 - 25 - 482 - Theres a hole in my Bug-ket

7 - 0 - 476 - Pooks Shell-Struck

8 - 0 - 472 - Hamlet

9 - 25 - 453 - Ho-Humm

10 - 16 - 419 - Dewald's Racing Audi TT

11 - 42 - 407 - Pooks Chameleon

12 - 95 - 381 - Doobie the Camel

13 - 0 - 374 - Bolivian Bob

14 - 9 - 371 - Dewald's Racing Hummer

15 - 25 - 284 - Feng Shui Compass Geocoin

16 - 25 - 178 - CYBER VOORTREKKER

Notes:

No score - Hamlet, Bolivian Bob, Load shedder, Pooks Shell Struck (Apparently this is on the way to England but not yet logged)

Dormancy points - Ho-Humm, Cyber Voortrekker, Feng Shui compass geocoin.There's a hole in my bugket (MIA), little Nokia

Diepienaars coin attended a Mega-event. Sadly as I did not take these into account at start of race, I couldn't assign a separate score for that, so only normal event points there - Sorry!

Poor Load shedder has been moved to germany and placed in a non geocaching cache, so no points yet - unlucky!

Doobie the Camel has made it to Finland

Remy the rat from the Cape - another FTF - well done!

This weeks big mover is Doobie the Camel with 95 points

Remy the Rat gained slightly on Feng shui coin, but still a long way to go!

Well what do you know! I see Carbon Hunter's "There's a Hole in my Bug-Ket" is not MIA after all. It was retrieved from a cache in Vancouver on 9 July and only logged yesterday!! B) Crazy Canadian cacher - but at least it is not gone!

Makes me wonder about these Canadians though. My Hummer was also holed up in Vancouver by a cacher who's kid liked the Hummer and decided to keep it. After a few e-mails to the cacher it was eventually placed in a cache that appears to be a prison!! :lol: Oh, well, at least it isn't in a swagbag somewhere but has a chance of being found.

Happy racing everyone. :rolleyes:

Cincol I feel your pain. At least Ho-Humm finally found itself into the hands of a cacher who understands what a race is. They moved it quickly and posted a note in the new cache about it being in a race. Now we have to hope that this good luck carries on. Hope your Hummer gets on the road soon.

Hi guys - which TB's are still in South Africa?

Any in Gauteng? I'd like to get someone a few points if possible - just point me in the right direction! (No collusion - I'm just about to embark on a trip and would be happy to help - provided it's within the rules).

I believe Little Nokia is on his way to Gauteng. Not to sure when it is going to be placed thou. Current in the hands of Henzz. Will keep you posted

Edited by iNokia

Hey, its just passed half way on the race, and it wouldn't be exciting if i didn't have some more surprises.

So just to let you know there will be extra points at the end of the race for various acheivements, such as:

- Most words found per cache

- greatest distance tavelled

- highest difficulty rating per cache

- Longest time spent in a cache

etc

I'll updatew the exact details later!