Around the world in 80 ways

Discombob

Guys what sayeth you - should we allow points for Earthcaches, if one can post the photo in a TB pickup log?

I do not have much experience of Earthcaches, but my first thought is that TB's do not get dropped in Earthcaches. I would say allowing it is bending things. It does not really make sense.

I vote for letting TB's travel in the most natural way possible - without too much intervention (such as collusion and abnormal visits) for the sake of collecting points.

There is no option when logging an Earthcache to drop a TB - and that is what is required for the game - so that is it!

That's my thought.

DB

For what it's worth, albeit the race has already started, I would suggest that Earthcaches, Virtuals and Webcam caches be EXCLUDED from bonus points as TB's cannot be fropped off at them. The whole idea is for the TB to at least spend the night at a cache - that is why there is a rule that penalizes a TB for a "drop and go" all in one day. That rule should apply to any cache where the TB cannot overnight. :(

Open to debate. :D

cincol

DB

For what it's worth, albeit the race has already started, I would suggest that Earthcaches, Virtuals and Webcam caches be EXCLUDED from bonus points as TB's cannot be fropped off at them. The whole idea is for the TB to at least spend the night at a cache - that is why there is a rule that penalizes a TB for a "drop and go" all in one day. That rule should apply to any cache where the TB cannot overnight. :D

Open to debate. :(

cincol

I'd vote to exclude them too. Can be added to logs for interesting pictures or "bonus" points by DB in the stories, but i'd like to keep it simple - for us, and for the scorer and any cacher that picks the TB's up.

OK Earth caches and webcams are excluded

Virtuals stay in, as the system allows you to log in and out of Virtuals

Hey guess what!!!

Its LEAP YEAR DAY :o:o

To celebrate, your biggest LEAP of the year will be doubled! :o

So make sure you try and get a nice long hop in somewhere along the race!

Edited by Discombob

Oh groan.... New twist to the game, what happens now? Load shedder has ended up in an interesting Puzzle cache, many thanks to DiePienaars....The points are gonna be handy. But now this is the catch. It is a Twin puzzle cache that requires the cacher to collaborate with another cacher in Pretoria to find the final clue. Now I know blah blah and blah..... But in theory although the TB is in one cache, the visit of two caches is required to find this one. So in total there are three caches to be found before the TB can be retrieved.... Stick that in your points machine..... What type of bonus can that result in?

Oh groan.... New twist to the game, what happens now? Load shedder has ended up in an interesting Puzzle cache, many thanks to DiePienaars....The points are gonna be handy. But now this is the catch. It is a Twin puzzle cache that requires the cacher to collaborate with another cacher in Pretoria to find the final clue. Now I know blah blah and blah..... But in theory although the TB is in one cache, the visit of two caches is required to find this one. So in total there are three caches to be found before the TB can be retrieved.... Stick that in your points machine..... What type of bonus can that result in?

stop harassing the system - play the game and leave the points to look after themselves...

Edited by the pooks

Hee hee, lets shake the hornets nest a bit.....

Eish! Just like to throw a spanner in the great points working machine.... Er the game is been played and I am moving..... at least.... Hey I believe I moved more than 100 mile too. 1 point for me.... LOL.

Do these two puzzle caches (GC14B2W) - (GC14B2W) to find Load Shedder TB.... Oh my!!! :o

Hey folks

Here is the latest scores as from today!

DiePienaars TFTC Geocoin 221

Little nokia 209

Load Shedder 168

Hamlet 158

Pooks Shell-Struck 149

Ho-Humm 75

Theres a hole in my Bug-ket 55

Stars & Stripes 46

Dewald's Racing Hummer 46

CYBER VOORTREKKER 35

Pooks Chameleon 34

Remy the Rat from the Cape 34

Bolivian Bob 32

Doobie the Camel 10

Feng Shui Compass Geocoin 10

I will be emailing out the excel spreadsheet just now, so you can see how your scores are calculated, and let me know if I have made a mistake, or you have any questions.

Notes:

DiePienaars TFTC Geocoin - No points were given for The Outspan Tree, as it was a drop and retreive by same cacher (even though it was then passed to another cacher). As fiddle sticks scored highest out of the 2, it received the points for that.

Durban View 2 was not considered an FTF, as it was placed there by cache hider.

Pooks Shell Struck: No points given for ou Simon, as it was a rop and retreive, and following cache scored more.

Sandhult does not seem to be in a Swedish dictionary, so no points for language there

This TB has received a 20 point bonus for being the 1st TB out of the country!

Theres a hole in my bug-ket:

There is some doubt as to whether Amabokkobokko can really be considered genuine Xhosa (or is that Zulu), so no points on that one currently.

26 point penalty for Machiavellian perrin? (half of total cache), as TB was picked up same day it was dropped off in cache before.

Carbon Hunter has picked up both his TBs (theres a hole in my bugket and starts & stripes, so once he has placed them, any further moves by him will get no points.

Remy the rat from the cape: As oudekraal is a place name, it can't score points for being a non-english language - sorry!

Thanks for the spreadsheet Dbob. It would be a small step to include a line (same as you already have in the spreadsheet) for each cache the bug visits (you probably have it anyway). Then one can peruse all the bugs' travels in one go. Not essential, but just a thought.

I have seen some TB's lurking in the Middle East and have it on good authority that some are headed for Europe and some are headed for Canada in the not too distant future. And the plot thickens! :)

Still early days, but things are starting to hot up. That Leap Year "clause" that appeared the other day looks VERY interesting indeed. That can make all the difference on day 365 in 2009. :):):)

Watching the developments as they unfurl. Dewald's Hummer is really enjoying the rocks of the desert.

Greetings from a Middle East that is starting to warm up for the approaching summer.

cincol

Edited by cincol

Its been one month so far, and here are the updated scores!

307 DiePienaars TFTC Geocoin

230 Theres a hole in my Bug-ket

219 Dewald's Racing Audi TT

209 Little Nokia

197 Pooks Chameleon

194 Stars & Stripes

183 Hamlet

183 Load Shedder

173 Dewald's Racing Hummer

154 Pooks Shell-Struck

75 Ho-Humm

60 Doobie the Camel

51 CYBER VOORTREKKER

35 Feng Shui Compass Geocoin

34 Remy the Rat from the Cape

32 Bolivian Bob

I will be emailing the spreadsheet with the scores early next week, as I'm going away for the weekend.

NOTES:

Doobie the camel - 20 point penality (half off on guess who is coming to dinner), as it was dropped and picked up on the same day

Doobie the Camel is off to Switzerland soon!

Pooks Chameleon has made it to Germany!

Pook shell struck - last update I did not realise sandhult is a town - Points added

Dewalds racing Hummer - made it to Qatar, now off to Canada!

Feng shui geocoin - 25 dormancy points for being stuck in owners hands!

Remy the rat - off to switzerland!

Stars and stripes - As this was a second move by the owner - no points scored for Amati und die Kuppel, plus no points for the Qatar - switzerland distance. This TB may not get country points for Switzerland!

Dewald's Racing Audi TT - As the Qatar - switzerland trip is counted as a multiple hop by same cacher - no points scored for Nervensäge #2 , plus no points for the Qatar - switzerland distance.

Intersetingly, this TB is now in a cache hidden by a Swiss cacher who is in Cape Town, and is taking Remy the rat back to Switzerland!

There a hole in my BugKet - Is now in Qatar!

A question of clarity on the rules. :huh:

Do I understand this correctly? A TB that is traveling around the US will only score country points once irrespective if it visits 40 states whereas a TB in Europe will score country points for every country {Germany, Belgium, France, Spain, etc} or only once as in the USA for EU countries? Non-EU countries would be different? B)

So, USA and EU are treated the same? Yes / No? If not, then TB's traveling in the US will need to get their butts outta there! Fast! :huh:

Russel - thanks for the latest spreadsheet albeit one of my TB's was seriously penalized! Keep up the good work.

Happy Easter to all those celebrating.

cincol

Working again tomorrow B)

A question of clarity on the rules. :huh:

Do I understand this correctly? A TB that is traveling around the US will only score country points once irrespective if it visits 40 states whereas a TB in Europe will score country points for every country {Germany, Belgium, France, Spain, etc} or only once as in the USA for EU countries? Non-EU countries would be different? B)

So, USA and EU are treated the same? Yes / No? If not, then TB's traveling in the US will need to get their butts outta there! Fast! :huh:

Yes, USA would count as one country, and you will get points for each country in Europe.

interesting idea on the states of USA, as they are broken up on the TB page.

Guys, whats your opinions. Should there be extra points for each US/canadian state visited?

It would probably only be about 5 - 10 points extra per state though methinks.

Edited by Discombob

A question of clarity on the rules. B)

Yes, USA would count as one country, and you will get points for each country in Europe.

interesting idea on the states of USA, as they are broken up on the TB page.

Guys, whats your opinions. Should there be extra points for each US/canadian state visited?

It would probably only be about 5 - 10 points extra per state though methinks.

I like the idea of a few bonus points per state (as they are broken up on the geocaching site). also looking at some coins hitting SA - they don't always seems to travel extensivley out of a state or region of a few states. Cachers stay inbred??? :huh:

If you have the "guts" to add another variable - I'm keen for the points per state. I don't have a bug there - but hey - they may end up there - as may anyone elses. EU seems the hot travel destination lately. :P

Some food for thought.

In the EU a TB could cover up to 4 countries in a 200km trip - Germany, France, Luxembourg, Belgium or Netherlands. In most US States 200km would only be 1 County! Many TB's that leave SA are likely to go via the USA at some point during the race - none have as yet.

My suggestion - either make all EU countries [states] equivalent to US states for points or vice versa. That would mean that Illinois and Oklahoma would score the same as Austria and Portugal, and vice versa, whatever that may be. I am not saying change the rules as the race is underway, only seeking clarification.

My 2 dirhams worth.

cincol

Edited by cincol

Like that idea. But then South Africa also has states.... So will that count too. Also it is one bonus per state once entered and non thereafter I presume.

Oh and I must say you will be glad that Ambleside Memorial is a Puzzle cache... It helps sometimes....

Well spotted to iNokia for noticing the 5 secret words were on the latests spreadsheet!

I sent the wrong one by mistake! - Tired!

There words were ICE, SONG, SPORT, FOREIGN, CAKE

I'll add these words to the normal list, so you can still score normal word points for them

but of course now I need 5 new secret words which I'll decide on now.

iNokia gets 20 points, either for being so observant, or so honest ;)

Well, the scores as per 31 March are out:

Position Score Racer

1 - 404 DiePienaars TFTC Geocoin

2 - 335 Stars & Stripes

3 - 301 Little Nokia

4 - 279 Dewald's Racing Audi TT

5 - 253 Pooks Shell-Struck

6 - 230 Theres a hole in my Bug-ket

7 - 224 Load Shedder

8 - 221 Pooks Chameleon

9 - 204 Remy the Rat from the Cape

10 - 183 Hamlet

11 - 181 Doobie the Camel

12 - 173 Dewald's Racing Hummer

13 - 75 Ho-Humm

14 - 61 Bolivian Bob

15 - 51 CYBER VOORTREKKER

16 - 35 Feng Shui Compass Geocoin

Notes:

The following TBs did not score at all since last update:

Ho - humm, Hamlet, Dewalds racing Hummer, poooms chameleon, cyber voortrekker, Theres a hole in my bug-ket, Feng shui compass coin

Diepienaars TFTC Coin has made it to Australia, and is now off to New Zealand.

Doobie the Camel has made it to Switzerland (the placer of this TB thinks that the TB should scores points, as bach is a river in German - This is not allowed, the words need to be in english, so this would only score as a German language cache)

Pooks shell struck - gets no points for En stockholmsklassiker and La vierge de Chamonix, as multiple

hops by same cacher. (Reloader's Cache#06 - Le Château de Penthes scored highest of the three)

Remy the rat from the cape has made it to Switzerland

iNokia has used up his move and cant move his TB again for points

Stars and stripes jas been clocking up the points in Europe - Good Work!

Dewalds Racing Audi - no points for Musfer Cave and Qatar TB Hotel (both multiple hop and drop by same

cacher) Cincol has used up his move, so cant move this again for points.

Feng Shui Compass Geocoin - The owners have still not placed this racer. Perhaps the coin is too pretty to part with, or perhaps they are wanting to see how far they can go on 12 months worth of Dormancy points?

Speadsheet to mailed just now.

Just a note on the USA question. I have decided to award 10 points per state visited, and also 10 points per SA province. I will update the SA province scores next time round.

Edited by Discombob

DB - your rules are really very well thought out - there seems to be NO room for conniving!

Quick one: If a TB visited a country but did not receive country points as it was part of a multiple hop by the same cacher, I assume the country points are still available for a later visit. Is this correct?

It would be useful to have a list of countries/words/moves used up, although I see there is not much one can do to influence things, so better to just leave all travels to chance - as is intended by the design.

Quick one: If a TB visited a country but did not receive country points as it was part of a multiple hop by the same cacher, I assume the country points are still available for a later visit. Is this correct?

It would be useful to have a list of countries/words/moves used up, although I see there is not much one can do to influence things, so better to just leave all travels to chance - as is intended by the design.

yes, the TB can get points for a later visit.

However, if a TB is on a multiple hop, say england, France, Germany, and the points work out highest for the French cache, the Tb wont score for Germany. however, in such a case, the TB will need to leave Germany and then re-enter before it can get the Germany points.

With regards the countries and words used up, they are all listed in comments field in the relevant place in the spreadsheet.

For those not that clued up with excel, if you see a red triangle on a square - if you hover the mouse pointer over that square, the comment box will pop up with the list of words etc.

I think points should be awarded for each region visited as defined by geocaching.com. So if a country is broken down into provinces/states/whatever on the website, there should be points for each of those.

d-bob, can you share your spreadsheet on google spreadsheets?

thats right Wazat, no eliminations

there were only eliminations last year because it was a Highlander themed race!

Carlstein, what on earth is google spreadsheets?

Well, I dont really think that all countries should be broken down into regions - for example, if UK was broken down (i know its not) there are so many regions and they are all pretty small, so a Racer in the Uk would have too much chance to rack up the points.

What sayeth everyone else?

Well, I dont really think that all countries should be broken down into regions - for example, if UK was broken down (i know its not) there are so many regions and they are all pretty small, so a Racer in the Uk would have too much chance to rack up the points.

What sayeth everyone else?

I think you should give points for regions as they are specified in GC (in the fashion as as America and SA has been subdivided). The points for subregions can be as determined by Dbob - you have done an excellent job thus far - go for it, we will play along.

Hey - more points sounds good - but I must say that I am starting to fear for DB's sanity by about August/September after doing this on a weekly basis - and having the likes of me bugging him regularly!

Hey who said i was doing it on a weekly basis !

Every 2 - 3 weeks is more like it

Hey there D'bob,

Came across this in the UK Forums and am now making your job more difficult as all these places need to earn TB owners 25 points should their TB's travel to them.

" its clear that some people are unaware of the other Groundspeak defined countries around these isles so here they are

Guernsey

Ireland

Isle of Man

Jersey

United Kingdom"

:unsure:

'Morning everyone - this TB Race is starting to look like the Zimbabwe elections now. Changing the rules after the event!! :(:mad::unsure::blink: Running out of emoticins to use. :) I am pleased that I am not in DB's position. Good luck Dude - keeping everybody happy all of the time is not so easy. :mad: