Around the world in 80 ways

Discombob

Well, the race has started at last, and here are the contestants, in no particular order:

Dewald's Racing Audi TT - Cincol

Dewald's Racing Hummer - Cincol

Hamlet - eragonSaphira

Bolivian Bob - discombob

DiePienaars TFTC Geocoin - DiePienaars

CYBER VOORTREKKER - Tugelaklip

Pooks Chameleon - the pooks

Pooks Shell-Struck - the Pooks

Ho-Humm - Anlafu

Little Nokia - iNokia

Load Shedder - Wazat

Remy the Rat from the Cape - Caperat

Doobie the Camel - CapeCCR

Feng Shui Compass Geocoin - Caperat and CapeCCR

Some of the TBs are only going to be placed this weekend, so i will give a score update once they have all been placed, but i can let you know that Dewald's Racing Audi TT has taken an early lead!

Congrats to the following TBs who have won bonus points:

Best TB name

1 - Hamlet (30 points)

2 - Cyber voortrekker (20 points)

3 - Load Shedder (10 points)

Best TB

1 - Little nokia (30 points) - a genuine cell phone - crazy!

2 - Ho-Humm (20 points) loved the colours!

3 - Doobie the Camel and Cyber voortrekker (10 points each)

1st entrant - Dewalds Racing Audi - (25 points)

last entrant in - Feng Shui Compass Geocoin (10 points)

For a reminder of the rules, see here:

http://www.geocachingranking.com/Tracking/...e2008rules.aspx

It does not look I am able to add updated results to this page yet. I must still check with QFC, but I will update the racers via email as well on a monthly basis

Whooo hooo, 10 points already and now this. I placed it in a new cache and the cache was not approved. Will have to move the cache a little further away it would seem. Aaaargh. And I will only get to it later today or on Monday. Bah.

How about some links to the TB's:

Hamlet - eragonSaphira

Bolivian Bob - discombob

Ho-Humm - Anlafu

Little Nokia - iNokia

Load Shedder - Wazat

Anyway good luck to all and may the best competitor win. Travel well little TB's, travel far.....

Thanks for the update Discombob. :ph34r: Keep the info coming. There is nothing worse than having to wait ages for information - yes I am an impatient one! :(

Thanks for the links Wazat - I was about to sit and do them myself! :P

I hope to see some "late entries" soon. I know of at least 1 more that will be entered, perhaps 3.

GOOD LUCK to all the racers.

Ah ha, slight misunderstanding on my cache. It was thought that the cache was on the grave site. But the co-ords are for the parking. The cache is not in the site as believed. So my bug is ready to go. Move little bug move...... I know the KZN guys are gonna help it along... Come Neville there are still some caches this side waiting for you....

STOP PRESS - NEW EXCITING TWIST ADDED TO THE RACE!!!!!

Besides the publised words which score points, there are 5 hidden words. These will score 50 points if achieved by luck. They are not extremely common words in cache names, so i don't know if any will be hit. If one is, it will then be replaced by another word, so there are always five.

STOP PRESS - NEW EXCITING TWIST ADDED TO THE RACE!!!!!

Besides the publised words which score points, there are 5 hidden words. These will score 50 points if achieved by luck. They are not extremely common words in cache names, so i don't know if any will be hit. If one is, it will then be replaced by another word, so there are always five.

Are there some caches in South Africa with these hidden bonus words?

It does not look I am able to add updated results to this page yet. I must still check with QFC, but I will update the racers via email as well on a monthly basis

Hey DBob,

Got halfway though updating the site this weekend and then the computer games jumped out and got me. Will work on it again tonight and see where I can get.

I will have it up as soon as I can....

Wazat - I have no idea!

I just chose a random selection of words which might or might not be in a cache name - who knows!

QFC - thanks!

here are the scores after the first weekend!

1 EragonSaphira Hamlet 87

2 Anlafu Ho-Humm 75

3 Cincol Dewald's Racing Audi TT 71

4 iNokia Little Nokia 56

5 DiePienaars DiePienaars TFTC Geocoin 47

6 Cincol Dewald's Racing Hummer 46

7 The pooks Pooks Chameleon 34

8 Discombob Bolivian Bob 32

9 Tugelaklip CYBER VOORTREKKER 30

10 Wazat Load Shedder 28

11 CapeCCR Doobie the Camel 10

12 capeccr & caperat Feng Shui Compass Geocoin 10

13 The pooks Pooks Shell-Struck 0

14 Caperat Remy the Rat from the Cape 0

Notes:As Hamlet was picked up the same day it was dropped off, it will receive only half points for next cache.

The cache Load shedder was placed in is considered to be a multi by the judge, not a puzzle, and has thus received points for a multi cache, not puzzle!

Discombob

Before the race gets too involved would it be possible to do a breakdown of each TB's score above so as to give an indication how they scored? This way it will give us an idea how we will score into the future. eg: Cache name = 25, Difficulty and Terrain = 10, Bonus = 15 So 25+10+15=50pts scored.

Yeah, we know youhave nothing else to do!! :drama:

Cheers

cincol

Discombob

Before the race gets too involved would it be possible to do a breakdown of each TB's score above so as to give an indication how they scored? This way it will give us an idea how we will score into the future. eg: Cache name = 25, Difficulty and Terrain = 10, Bonus = 15 So 25+10+15=50pts scored.

Yeah, we know youhave nothing else to do!! :drama:

Cheers

cincol

And that is before it even travels and gets dropped in a FTF which by chance had 3 of the 5 hidden words in it (Who would ever call a cache - Slippery Underwear launcher) that also happens to be in a cave behind a waterfall halfway up some mountain in Lesotho, which by the way requires an umbrella and climbing gear to get to, hence the 6/6 rating. Did I mention it is a multi cache placed for a CITO event. And they also placed a webcam in the cave. Eish! I am real glad I didn't have to work out the point's system.

Bah! My puzzle is a multi?

Bah! My puzzle is a multi?

Wazat

Have you been robbed? :drama: Perhaps you need the services of an arbiter? However, me thinks that Discombob has declared himself "Solus Judis Legis". He also resides in the UK so that means that you will have to employ a QC to defend your appeal. Costs? Maybe 15 points in the race. Is it worth it? Well only time will tell. ;) Maybe this will call for you to bite the bullet!

I can see more of the same in my crystal ball for the next 12 months. :drama: So we better all look forward to chewing some lead in the future! ;)

Have a great race everyone.

cincol

Amandla, Amandla...... *lifts knees past ears, waving GPS in air*

Come guys lets set some old leaking cache containers alight....

Methinks Discombob left the country because of toy-toying.... Haaa haaa, he gonna get it here now.... LOL. :drama:;):drama:

Edited by Wazat

Hole in my Bug-ket has been entered.

Pity it didn't get entered in time, or it would have won some points for its great name :D

Wazat, I have decided to place a separate forum posting to see what the general theory is on your cache being a multi or puzzle. You could get upgraded depending on the results.

So here is the break down you want:

Hamlet - 30 points for name, 5 points for reg cache, 2 points for star rating, 50 points for words (view, and town name - "Centurion View")

Ho-Humm - 20 points for cool racer, 5 points for reg cache, 0 points for star rating, 50 points for words, (garden, and persons name "Terry's Garden")

Dewald's Racing Audi TT - 25 points for being 1st entrant, 5 points for reg multi, 16 points for star rating, 25 points for word (view "Safari view")

Little Nokia - 30 points for best racer, 20 points for puzzle, 6 points for star rating,

DiePienaars TFTC Geocoin - 20 points for puzzle, 2 points for star rating, 25 points for word (non english title, "kanti amanzimtoti")

Dewald's Racing Hummer - 5 points reg cache, 16 points star rating, 25 points word (view "Safari view")

Pooks Chameleon - 5 points reg cache, 4 points star rating, 25 points word (sea "tf 180° sea)

Bolivian bob - 5 points reg cache, 2 points star rating, 25 points word (garden, "ND botanical garden")

Cyber voortrekker - 20 points bestname, 10 points best racer,

Load shedder - 10 points for good name, 10 points for multi cache, 8 points for star rating,

doobie the camel - 10 points for best racer

Feng Shui Compass Geocoin - 10 points for being last entry in before start of race.

I am currently not sure if amanzimtoti and ambleside can be counted as a town, will ask on forum

I think Discombob needs a HUGE hand [as in applause] and plenty of encouragement for the scoring in this race. ;) This is a pretty complicated arrangement - and the distances haven't even started yet. Never mind the checking to see that the TB hasn't been moved by the same person, etc, etc. !

Keep up the good work - we are looking forward to your scores and your arbitration. As I mentioned previously we all need to accept you as "Solus Judis Legis" and thereby accept you word and interpretation on "rulings". :D

Go racers - Go!

cincol

For some reason I couldn't edit the above entry so here we go again:

Hamlet - eragonSaphira

Bolivian Bob - discombob

Ho-Humm - Anlafu

Little Nokia - iNokia

Load Shedder - Wazat

There's a Hole in my Bug-ket - Carbon Hunter

There you go Carbon Hunter welcome to the race... :D

Hey, here are the scores after the second week:

Poor Hamlet took an 18 point penalty on Harties on the med (half of that caches score), as the TB was picked up the same day it was dropped off - ouch, rough rule! Although, there was 25 points for an FTF there!

Little Nokia 143

DiePienaars TFTC Geocoin 126

Hamlet 105

Ho-Humm 75

Load Shedder 73

Dewald's Racing Audi TT 71

Dewald's Racing Hummer 46

CYBER VOORTREKKER 35

Pooks Chameleon 34

Bolivian Bob 32

Doobie the Camel 10

Feng Shui Compass Geocoin 10

Pooks Shell-Struck 0

Remy the Rat from the Cape 0

Theres a hole in my Bug-ket 0

Even though pooks TB s are scoring low, they are currently en route to Germany and Sweden, so watch out for these 2 racers!

Little Nokia has visited the most caches so far, and DiePienaars TFTC Geocoin is really shining in the star ratings so far!

My points are all calculated in an excel spreadsheet, so it might be nice if you could all view copies of it, so that you can see how the points distribution is working out, and keep tabs on what words you have got points for, FTFs etc. I'll see if its possible to have that uploaded to QFCs site, but perhaps I'll mail you all a copy next time.

I've also noticed the points for distance are coming out as negligible so far, but I made them small, otherwse the points for a country jump might be too high. We;ll see how it pans out fora bit and see if they need rethinking

And come on you lazy folk who havent placed the bugs yet, lets some action!

I've also noticed the points for distance are coming out as negligible so far, but I made them small, otherwse the points for a country jump might be too high. We;ll see how it pans out fora bit and see if they need rethinking

I think that the points for distance are great. Keep them low as an overseas jump for a bug won't generate much more than say 50 points which if some unlucky bug might be left touring the Gauteng area... and only get that many points in a year. But that GP touring bug can at least have a chance by making up for it in jumping to many more caches. The only gains that a country hopper should get are for changing country.

I am thus all for low travel points. :laughing:

DB

Before we are in a similar situation to Wazat last week with the Puzzle/Multi/Mystery could you please clarify the Earthcache situation.

TB's or GC's cannot be "dropped" at an Eartcache. The rules penalise you if you move a racer on the same day. Scenario - I take a racer to an Earthcahe, I photograph the racer at the Earthcache as proof that it was there, I log the visit with the owner by complying to all the requirements, but move the racer along on the same day. NOT ALLOWED as per the rules. So, we need clarity on this BEFORE it happens as I see drama on the horizon in the not too distant future! :blink:

Any TB dropped in a cache and removed on the same day will only receive half points for the following distance and cache, even if placed a few days later. This applies only in SA, or via SA cachers outside SA.

Any cacher may move any TB only 3 times during the race. Thereafter, any points don't count.

The 2nd rule above compounds the 1st rule in that the cacher at the Earthcache will now have used up TWO moves by not being able to place his racer. :laughing:

I await your ruling. :huh:

cincol

DB

Before we are in a similar situation to Wazat last week with the Puzzle/Multi/Mystery could you please clarify the Earthcache situation.

TB's or GC's cannot be "dropped" at an Eartcache. The rules penalise you if you move a racer on the same day. Scenario - I take a racer to an Earthcahe, I photograph the racer at the Earthcache as proof that it was there, I log the visit with the owner by complying to all the requirements, but move the racer along on the same day. NOT ALLOWED as per the rules. So, we need clarity on this BEFORE it happens as I see drama on the horizon in the not too distant future! :blink:

Any TB dropped in a cache and removed on the same day will only receive half points for the following distance and cache, even if placed a few days later. This applies only in SA, or via SA cachers outside SA.

Any cacher may move any TB only 3 times during the race. Thereafter, any points don't count.

The 2nd rule above compounds the 1st rule in that the cacher at the Earthcache will now have used up TWO moves by not being able to place his racer. :laughing:

I await your ruling. :huh:

cincol

Sounds clear to me - nothing's NOT ALLOWED, you just receive less or no points at a stage. Sorry - I'm not Discombob.

Sounds clear to me - nothing's NOT ALLOWED, you just receive less or no points at a stage. Sorry - I'm not Discombob.

Pooks - apologies then. Everything is allowed no doubt but ......... :cry:<_<

Perhaps I should rather have asked this question then - What is the point of the Earthcache "bonus" if you cannot drop the racer off there? The whole point of going to the Earthcache would be for the points, but then they would be deducted immediately as the racer is moved on without an overnight stay at least. :lol:

Just asking for clarity up front BEFORE the situation might occur. :lol:

cincol

cincol - I think I should rather apologise. My reply was a bit short and impolite. I wanted to emphasise the point that multiple hops ARE allowed, you just don't receive maximum points. Multiple hops could still be a justifiable tactic. But then you quite rightly posed some conumdrums that indeed seem problematic. So may the discussion continue.

Thanks Pooks. :D

Right - let us look at this scenario then. I visit an Earthcache - cannot drop the racer so forfeit some points - then instead of going to the next Earthcache I will visit a 1/1 cache 2km away and get HALF the points for that visit. Drop and retrieve the racer and then move on to Earthcahe #2 where I now should get FULL points again minus the forfeited points because I cannot drop the racer at teh Earthcache. Now I have moved the racer 3 times and NO MORE points accrue due to no fault of mine trying to help the racer but all because I cannot drop the racer in the Earthcache. I am confused! :D:anibad:

Where is our Solus Judis Legis when we need him the most? :D

Happy racing everyone!

Ah, good questions, but the answers are all very simple!

Firstly, Cownchicken, you are incorrect. The rules state:

"Any TB dropped in a cache and removed on the same day will only receive half points for the following distance and cache, even if placed a few days later. This applies only in SA, or via SA cachers outside SA."

So the rule does not apply once overseas. Also, some TBs might have tags - that was left to the owners discretion.

CIncol, the rule regarding half points for being picked up on the same day does not apply to a single cache doing multiple hops. In the case of a cacher visiting an earthcache (or virtual) with a racer, the following rules applies :

"TBs can make multiple jumps with the same cacher, but will only be awarded the points for the highest value cache and single distance of the journey. The other points will not count."

So in other words, a cacher may take a TB to an earthcache, log it in and out, and then move it on to another normal cache. The cache which scores highest points of the 2 applies, so if the earthcache gets most points, the second cache will receive no points. However, if the second cache would score more than an earthcache (including any words and FTF points, the earthcache will not score any points.)

Wazat, good point,, lets let the distance points stay as are unless thewre are more objections.

There are 2 rules that i have been wandering about, so let me know if you think these are good rules or should be changed:

1 - Any cacher may move any TB only 3 times during the race. Thereafter, any points don't count. - does this seem to harsh - what do you guys think?

2 - Owners may move their TBs once only for full points. Thereafter, they may move the TBs, but will not receive points for those moves.

This above rule was made largely due to the huskies and someone elses feedback, neither of whom have entered TBs. Does this seem a bit harsh - do you think owners should be allowed to move their TBs more than once?

It looks like I should have numbered the rules! If i make any changes, I'll give them numbers!

DB - Thanks for the response so far.

The Earthcache question is still hanging as a TB cannot be dropped into an Earthcache.

Secondly, have a look at my scenario above about moving the TB. [These are all in the interest of "helping" the racer by a non-participating fellow cacher who happens upon the TB - hypothetically :D ] 1st move - CacherA retrieves/grabs TB from Traditional Cache#1and goes to EarthcacheX [cannot drop TB so does in/out] on Day1. 2nd move - He then proceeds to Traditional Cache#2 and does another in/out and the TB forfeits Traditional Cache#2's points also on Day1. 3rd move - CacherA now visits another Earthcache with the racer and again cannot drop the TB and repeats Move 1. 4th move - TB now gets dropped into Traditional Cache#3 and scores no points.

Am I being too pedantic? If so please tell me!! :D:anibad: Being a rugby referee [wow, maybe I shouldn't say that with Stormers Supporters reading this!! :D - ducking the naartjies and deck chairs] I prefer to understand whatever rules there are before the proverbial hits the fan!

Have a great day all.

:D

1 - Any cacher may move any TB only 3 times during the race. Thereafter, any points don't count. - does this seem to harsh - what do you guys think?

2 - Owners may move their TBs once only for full points. Thereafter, they may move the TBs, but will not receive points for those moves.

My 2 dirhams worth.

1. Seems fine - not too harsh at all.

2. How about owners also having 3 moves, but only ONE move that is across an International border? I could move my own TB from SA to USA only ONCE [or to any other country such as Zimbabwe or wherever], but within the US or SA I would have another 2 moves. :D

Let's hear some other ideas. :anibad:

Discombob post #42: I support the notion that the rules must stay as they are. They are well thought out, and besides, we did have an opportunity to comment during the proposal phase.

My usual way of handling bugs is to take them home, read their listing and log them before dropping them off again. The intended procedure for bugs (as I understand it) is that they are dropped by one cacher and picked up by somebody else (unrelated to the person who dropped the cache) during a seperate cache visit. Multiple hopping of bugs is somewhat artificial and is a manipulation to increase points. I have nothing against that, but I agree with the rules limiting the points. The competition is most even if as much as possible is left to chance.

Cownchicken post #43: why are you shouting?!

Edited by the pooks

Imagie that users can move their TB's. I say no TB should be moved by the original owner. I can see it now. Right at the end there is a rush to get your own TB and drop it in the highest value cache. I prefer the element of suspense where you never know where the next move is gonna come from. I vote that owners may not move the TB at all. Maybe 3 times is ok but not for points. They can maybe rescue a dormant TB after a month of no activity, again for no points gain. I would rather think of me not been able to move my own TB on the simple grounds of it been out the country.

The Earthcache question is still hanging as a TB cannot be dropped into an Earthcache.

Secondly, have a look at my scenario above about moving the TB. [These are all in the interest of "helping" the racer by a non-participating fellow cacher who happens upon the TB - hypothetically :D ] 1st move - CacherA retrieves/grabs TB from Traditional Cache#1and goes to EarthcacheX [cannot drop TB so does in/out] on Day1. 2nd move - He then proceeds to Traditional Cache#2 and does another in/out and the TB forfeits Traditional Cache#2's points also on Day1. 3rd move - CacherA now visits another Earthcache with the racer and again cannot drop the TB and repeats Move 1. 4th move - TB now gets dropped into Traditional Cache#3 and scores no points.

Am I being too pedantic? If so please tell me!! :D:D Being a rugby referee [wow, maybe I shouldn't say that with Stormers Supporters reading this!! :D - ducking the naartjies and deck chairs] I prefer to understand whatever rules there are before the proverbial hits the fan!

Ah i see. I have never found an earthcache, so didn't know a bug cant be dropped off there. I thought you could, as they can be dropped in virtuals, and an earthcache really is just a type of virtual.

I guess we'll just have to cancel any possible score for earthcaches then.

Theoretically, One could post a photo of the tb on the earthcache page if the TB visits - however, I would not be able to track it, as it would not show up on the TB page

Thanks for the info Cincol - All Earthcache scores are now null and void :D

I see Tbs cant be dropped in webcams either, so no possible scores for webcams.

Now if we take your example, and substitute earthcaches with virtuals, or any kind of cache for that matter, the Bug will score points for only one of those caches, whichever is the highest, no matter over how many days it is, as its all been the same cacher. i have decided to change the rule slightly to allow the points here for the entire distance, as the distance points are not that critical it seems, and it saves me some work :anibad:

Does that answer your question?

thats 2 rules changes so far !

I'll update them in a week or 2 when i get the chance.

Theoretically, One could post a photo of the tb on the earthcache page if the TB visits - however, I would not be able to track it, as it would not show up on the TB page

Ah but one can post a photo in the TB's Pick up log.

Sorry but here is a take. I pick up a TB in regular cache A, travel north 100km to Earth Cache B then say another 100km west to regular cache C, will I score points for distance from A to C or A to B to C. Just wondering. Seeing that Earth caches are now null and void on points but still a place that the bug can visit? :anibad:

Guys what sayeth you - should we allow points for Earthcaches, if one can post the photo in a TB pickup log?

Perhaps If i make a rule that it is up to the Bug owner to keep an eye out for his bug visiting an earthcache, and letting me know if there is a found log and relating photo?

Wazat, in your example, you would score points for a-b-c, as no way am I going to the trouble of calculating the distance for just a-c! It was originally going to be the greatest distance of a-b or b-c, but I've decided to let that fly!