Related web page?

Cajun Canuck

Hello all,

We tried (unsuccessfully) to add a website link to a cache page we are setting up. Groundspeak would not allow it because of the commercial content it displays. (No problem)

Just wondering what the "Related web page?" section in the page setup area is for.

Is it possible to refer to the link in this area?

If not, does anyone know of a way to refer to a website that would be acceptable?

Thanks in advance.

f not, does anyone know of a way to refer to a website that would be acceptable?

Any link is fine as long as there is no commercial content. Commercial doesn't necessarily mean a link to Amazon.com or Target.com. Even if it's a personal website, if there are Google ads on it, that's considered considered commercial.

I don't believe that the reviewer has much control over the notes.

Reviewers can do pretty much anything, even rewind time and bend spoons.

They also sometimes put newly-published caches on their watchlist, to see if any problems (or clever workaround attempts, ahem) pop up.

It's best not to play games with your reviewer; they'll know what you're up to.

After your page is published, post a note with the info you meant to attach. I don't believe that the reviewer has much control over the notes.

This is a BAD idea :ph34r::( ...if the reviewers were able to allow the info, wouldn't they have let it go in the first place?? Doing an end-around on the rules is the same as breaking them! If this happens, I'm CERTAIN TPTB will be forced to enact tougher rules which in turn cause bigger problems for the reviewers and cachers as well!

How about finding out what IS allowed and working with the PTB instead of trying to become a problem??

After your page is published, post a note with the info you meant to attach. I don't believe that the reviewer has much control over the notes.
Doing an end-around on the rules is the same as breaking them!
I humbly disagree.
How about finding out what IS allowed and working with the PTB instead of trying to become a problem??
If commercial content is kept out of the cache description, then the cache owner has followed the rules. There is no stipulation about what can or cannot be contained in the log. Cache reviewers are "hired" to review the caches, not the logs. Edited by meralgia

In addition, I could say that I ate at Jax Cafe (here's the address, and here's the phone number) before finding the cache. If the cache owner felt like it was too much information, they could either delete the log or politely ask the finder to cut a little information, but there is no requirement that the owner HAS to do anything.

Edited by meralgia

In addition, I could say that I ate at Jax Cafe (here's the address, and here's the phone number) before finding the cache. If the cache owner felt like it was too much information, they could either delete the log or politely ask the finder to cut a little information, but there is no requirement that the owner HAS to do anything.

Here I disagree. Using the cache page to advertise in any way is against the commercial guidelines as I understand them. You purposely doing so after the fact in the logs IS the same as breaking the guidelines and adding to the problem. As I said, ask what is allowed and do what is right...it isn't that hard. A cacher making comments is one thing, abusing the system is quite another. Get caught abusing the system and you COULD find it hard to enjoy this sport...

OT...as I understand it, you can have a link to your own website (something like "click here for more info")adding nearly ANY info you want, you can add the name of a location you are using to host an event (ONCE). You cannot put links to any business, you cannot provide a menu for any business, no hotel info etc. TPTB are cracking down on this problem, changes are being made.

This applies to cache pages as well as event pages as I understand it.

The reason for posting this was to ask if there is a way of bringing the link to everyones attention in an acceptable manner.

Not trying to do an end around anyone. Not trying to fool anyone. Just looking to bring attention to the website on the cache page.

Thanks again.

My best advice would be to ask your reviewer and see what is suggested.