Colorado......I'm done...getting $ back

snomchfun

I may try one again in a year but wow is this a flawed device. I really tried to make it work but there's just to many major functional issues beyond the lack of features.

Main issues I can't accept:

1) Random shutdowns

2) Very poor battery life

3) constant altimter errors

4) backlighting problems

I unfortunately don't feel safe using this device in the backcountry. Garmin really dropped the ball, I hope to pick it up again someday...........back to my trusty 60csx.

I may try one again in a year but wow is this a flawed device. I really tried to make it work but there's just to many major functional issues beyond the lack of features.

Main issues I can't accept:

1) Random shutdowns

2) Very poor battery life

3) constant altimter errors

4) backlighting problems

I unfortunately don't feel safe using this device in the backcountry. Garmin really dropped the ball, I hope to pick it up again someday...........back to my trusty 60csx.

Sorry you got a bad unit. Glad I didn't. Then again, I'm not doing anything in the back country. I'd probably use one of my ol' reliable units (or at least bring it along) too.

--Marky

your first mistake is trusting any elcetronic device in the backcounty...

backcountry aside I don't think it's too much to ask to have the device perform basic functions, it wasn"t actually free.....

This unit is barely out to the public a week and people are already giving up. :laughing:

I'm not sure what you mean when you say " ... it wasn't actually free." (typo removed) Mine wasn't free. Maybe you got what you paid for? What exactly did you mean?

As for backlighting issues. Are there issues? The display is DESIGNED to use minimal light. The contrast on this unit is amazing. If you haven't noticed the lettering of the data fields is white with black or dark background. These units don't need brighter backlighting due to the high contrast. Can you imagine the power consumed if these units NEEDED to be brighter?

There's also consideration with night vision while using your unit. I really don't need or want a brighter display on my GPS, do you?

There is a poster who was comparing his eTrex Vista Hx set to 30% with the Colorado on 100%. What useful purpose does that serve? The Colorado units don't require the same level of backlighting as the eTrex units. If you set the maximum brightness the same you are wastin batter power and over lighting the screen. At night, I can see my Colorado very well. In daylight, without backlighting, the unit is clear and easily read. Personally, I don't want my GPS unit to light the trail. I don't want the additional power drain for additional backlighting when the unit clearly functions well as it is designed.

There is a reduction in lighting when the batteries are low. As the batteries are depleated backlighting is adjusted to prevent premature unit shutoff. The way I see it, this is a useful feature and a perfect design. How many posters on here see this as a flaw? So far, I'm the only poster who doesn't see it as a flaw. I'm guessing that if your car was designed to limit its maximum speed to 50 mph when there's 1 gallon or less gasoline in the tank, enabling you to drive farther while using fuel more efficently, you would see this as a design flaw? "No. When I'm running out of gas I need to drive FAST. I need to get to the gas station as fast as I can so I'm not stranded." Unfortunately, this is faulty thinking.

The only issue I can see with backlighting is that once you turn it on and it dims, you have to goose the display by hitting a key or rotating the wheel before either will function. There's no turning the light off and eliminating this. Maybe that's what you were talking about, but I'm the only one who has ever mentioned this (as far as I know) in this forum. That is a problem, but no one has mentioned it.

What do you consider backlighting problems and why? (You can e-mail me or PM the answer if you don't want to stray from topic in this thread.)

I have learned to tolerate most of the shortcomings (as compared to the 60CSx) of the Colorado 300 except for the really lousy NiMH battery life and the most annoying one- the erratic clock operation. I've been through four units now, and every one has had this issue. The internal clock just decides to not keep time when the unit is off for a while. This screws up the alarm clock function as well as the time it takes to re-establish a proper almanac and locate. If Garmin doesn't address this one soon by a firmware update, mine is going back for good!

There is a poster who was comparing his eTrex Vista Hx set to 30% with the Colorado on 100%. What useful purpose does that serve?

Now I don't have any Vista HX, but I do have a 60 CSx, and comparing that one to the Colorado, the Colorado does need more backlight to be equally readable in some lighting conditions. In such a case, the comparison may be valid.

I had a Colorado for 3 weeks and focused a great deal of time trying to get it functional. It went back too. The screen back light will not go bright enough to see when battery levels drop to two bars. So, even though the unit will stay on for a little more than 5 hours with NiMH, you can only see the display in a useful way for 2.5 hours.

I could go on about the other issues, but that's already been done enough here. The thing I can't understand is why the Garmin fan boys keep praising it. If there were a better choice, it would get my dollars now, but until then, the only thing we can do to help Garmin make better products is to tell it like it is and get the word out.

Garmin Colorado = FAIL

Edited by Nightray

I had a Colorado for 3 weeks and focused a great deal of time trying to get it functional. It went back too. The screen back light will not go bright enough to see when battery levels drop to two bars. So, even though the unit will stay on for a little more than 5 hours with NiMH, you can only see the display in a useful way for 2.5 hours.

I could go on about the other issues, but that's already been done enough here. The thing I can't understand is why the Garmin fan boys keep praising it. If there were a better choice, it would get my dollars now, but until then, the only thing we can do to help Garmin make better products is to tell it like it is and get the word out.

Garmin Colorado = FAIL

Some of what you have dubbed "Garmin fan boys" would say you have unrealistic expectations, you enjoy complaining and seek out misery, you couldn't afford the Colorado in the first place, and you are stupid and lazy because you were not able to figure out how to use your Colorado.

I, however, am sorry to hear your experience with the Colorado was not enjoyable and I thank you for having the courage to tell it like you see it.

For those who love your Colorado, I couldn’t be happier for you. Then again, you are smart, rich, motivated, agreeable, perpetually happy, and truly accepting so you already knew I was happy for you.

Garmin Colorado = FAIL

Some of what you have dubbed "Garmin fan boys" would say you have unrealistic expectations, you enjoy complaining and seek out misery, you couldn't afford the Colorado in the first place, and you are stupid and lazy because you were not able to figure out how to use your Colorado.

I, however, am sorry to hear your experience with the Colorado was not enjoyable and I thank you for having the courage to tell it like you see it.

For those who love your Colorado, I couldn’t be happier for you. Then again, you are smart, rich, motivated, agreeable, perpetually happy, and truly accepting so you already knew I was happy for you.

Well calling me stupid and lazy sure makes you sound like a "positive" person. I don't believe that problems like random shutdowns have anything to do with user error, the product is instable.

Can you please restrict your opinions to the product and leave out the personal insults.

Garmin Colorado = FAIL

Well calling me stupid and lazy sure makes you sound like a "positive" person. I don't believe that problems like random shutdowns have anything to do with user error, the product is instable.

Can you please restrict your opinions to the product and leave out the personal insults.

Ummmm....I am not a member of the "Garmin fan boys." I did not call you any of those things. I was only reporting what someone from the "Garmin fan boys" stated in another thread. I guess I should have clearly stated that I'm not one who feels that way. Sorry for the confusion and as I stated, I'm sorry you had problems with your Colorado.

Edit: Changed you to your

Edited by 3 Hawks

I've had my Colorado 400t for about a month and have never had it shut down at some random time. I also get well over 5 hours out of my Nimh batteries (usually the whole day even with the backlight set to 1 minute). I do find it annoying that the backlight dims automatically when the battery shows 2 bars remaining, but hopefully that will be fixed with the next firmware update. About the only major problem I've had is the compass losing calibration in the middle of a hike.

So sorry your Colorado doesn't do everything including the dishes for you. Mine does. :D

Dishes.jpg

I think 3 Hawks was using a somewhat sarcastic mode to express support and sympathy for you and your situation. I don't believe any insult was intended to you, but rather to those who would do the insulting of you.

I have learned to tolerate most of the shortcomings (as compared to the 60CSx) of the Colorado 300 except for the really lousy NiMH battery life and the most annoying one- the erratic clock operation. I've been through four units now, and every one has had this issue. The internal clock just decides to not keep time when the unit is off for a while. This screws up the alarm clock function as well as the time it takes to re-establish a proper almanac and locate. If Garmin doesn't address this one soon by a firmware update, mine is going back for good!

I am getting a good two full days of traveling and geocaching out of my WMT special Energizer NiMH batteries. While I can see some things that are different than my previous GPSr and while I eagerly await firmware updates, I am extremely pleased with my Colorado. I have not had any of the mentioned clock issues.

I think 3 Hawks was using a somewhat sarcastic mode to express support and sympathy for you and your situation. I don't believe any insult was intended to you, but rather to those who would do the insulting of you.

No worries, I'm just dissapointed, I've owned Garmins since the beginning and this was a real let down. I'm sure they'll figure it out in time. When I talked to the Garmin guy he actually was quite sorry, I definately was not the only caller on this issue.

Yep. Support to you and sarcasm to those who would attack you or minimize your concerns.

I have had my 400t for two weeks now and I get 9 hours on quality NIMH batteries. It seems that the 400t needs a higher operating or draining voltage NIMH battery. My first set would only last 30 minutes but I bought new Copper Top 2650 AH's and I get 9 hours or so.

I just got back from using mine in 10 degree weather with Lithiums on board and the unit worked flawlessly. I'm not experiencing any of the problems I've seen here but I'm watching close. I switch between City Nav and the on board top frequently depending on the situation (driving, walking, snow shoe, skiing).

My only problem is getting Topo 4.0 to see the unit but I have a work around. I just copy the track to my computer and then open it with Topo or convert it with G7towin.

I hope everyone gets a better unit like my M chip machine. Keep posting the feed back for all of it is very informative.

you are stupid and lazy

Nice profile 3. That mama hawk's a looker. A man would need to be wealthy, smart and persistent to land such a fine lass. :D

You're not so bad yourself!

(as a courtesy the photo was removed by me, Jeremy, since it had a little feller in the photo. read further down in 3 Hawks post for more)

Edited by Jeremy

Nightray, Everyone is lazy (its your bodys way of conserving energy) and, if your not able to understand what 3 Hawks was saying or his later explanation to what he was saying then your certainly thick (some might say stupid). Adding the inappropriate post above is just childish and a poor attempt at trolling.

On topic, there are few reasons why people are praising the unit.

1. The one they have works great

2. They got theirs as a replacement for a Triton

3. It simply meets/exceeds their expectations regardless of problems

you are stupid and lazy

Nice profile 3. That mama hawk's a looker. A man would need to be wealthy, smart and persistent to land such a fine lass. :D

You're not so bad yourself!

That is one ugly fella!! Hey now!! I knew I shouldn't have posted that camping photo in my profile. That cute lass is Little Hawk and she is priceless. I don't mind posting a photo of my ugly mug on the forums, but I would prefer to limit the exposure of my little one just to be on the safe side. However, I'm sure the majority of people who read this forum could do without seeing my stellar physique plastered about the board.

For those who don't already know, I did not call anyone stupid or lazy. Those five words were taken out of context and a read of the original source post, and the follow up posts, have already gone over that fact. But just in case you still can’t figure it out, I paraphrased a post by another poster in another thread who has issue with anyone who expresses displeasure with the Colorado.

Here is the exact quote I paraphrased: “Its embarassing to those who are having problems and not fair to those who are really having issues, but the general sense that I get of this is that people are spending money they can't afford for a unit that they aren't taking the time to learn. If they would spend half the effort they expend on complaining about how it doesn't work and learn how it does work, they would be happy. Victims won't do this though. Happiness isn't their goal.” Once again, these are not my words.

If you want to see who typed those words, just back track through my logs over the last few days. You will also see my response to that post.

A full review of the facts clearly demonstrate my intent was to show support through the application of targeted sarcasm.

In conclusion, I would be most appreciative if you would remove the picture from your post. I don't find the publication of a photo with my child appropriate in this or any other open forum. The photo is intended only for view through my geocaching profile and it is not intended for public use.

Thank you in advance.

Edit: Removed the word "said" since the words were typed.

Edited by 3 Hawks

How is reading the manual going to make it IPX7 compliant?

To me that is the biggest turn off for the Colorado. I'll be damned if I'm going to pay $500ish dollars for something meant to be used out side, but isn't waterproof.

Well that and they are not even attempting to make anything better then 1:100,000 topo maps..

Edited by Limhi
How is reading the manual going to make it IPX7 compliant?

To me that is the biggest turn off for the Colorado. I'll be damned if I'm going to pay $500ish dollars for something meant to be used out side, but isn't waterproof.

But it is IPX7 compliant, you just have to make sure you have it on correctly. (may be hard to tell)

Well that and they are not even attempting to make anything better then 1:100,000 topo maps..

How do you know they arnt in the process right now?

If they have the ability to make them for National parks years ago, you think they would have done it for the whole US by now. Magellen may have failed with the Triton, but at least they tried to ship a unit with good maps. When the Triton is fixed, Garmin will be the only major handheld GPS maker to still be using 1:100k maps.

As for the IPX7, it may be compliant if you "do it right", but that to me shows a design flaw in itself. How hard should a battery cover be to put on?

Before I got my PN-20 I had a Geko 101. That Geko was been through rain storms, river fording, many other water encounter on the trail. 5 Years later that same little geko runs just as good as the day I bought it, and still stays in my bag as a backup unit. If they could design a battery case right however many years ago they came out with the geko, how come they can't do it now.

My so humble opinion is this unit was rushed out early to coincide with the release of Wherigo (or however you spell it). I have no doubt Garmin will correct the Colorado in time, just right now I don't see why people are spending so much on a unit with so many issues. Perhaps they have the disposable income to be voluntary pay beta testers, but I know don't.

Edited by Limhi

Although I always agree with embra, that actually was also my inference.

I remember that when the 60C.X series came a few years back, the debate was about the same.

It's a fact that we are in an age where electronic devices manufacturers prefer to start selling not perfect products to beat the competition, leaving to the customer the ultimate testing.

Firmware upgrade via Internet has agravated the trend.

And it works ! See Microsoft !

So please, keep complaining and harassing Garmin so when I decide to buy the Colorado, it will be functional !

Edited by Suscrofa