Hi, hello, etc./Help a Mio User!

infocorn

Hi everyone...

I'm Jeff C from Hermitage, PA! I'm raring to go, as I see several micro caches just waiting for me to find them already!

My main question is this. I'll be using the Mio model C230 to track. It's really an in-car kind of thing, but I can use it to get coordinates and the like, so I thought why not? The thing is, it uses coordinates like this: 00.#####. I didn't think it was too big a deal-- just plug in all the numbers after the "whole degrees" right?

Wrong!

Can anyone help me decode and be able to use the published NSWE coordinates in five-decimal places notation?

Thanks in advance!

slpjeff12 at yahoo dot com

Edited by infocorn

There are lots of sites on the internet to convert coordinates, however, you can just click on the link on the cache page to get the conversion. There's a link right next to the coordinates that reads "other conversions ...".

And you get something like this.

N 39° 46.362 W 086° 10.281

Normal GPS Coordinates (WGS84 Datum)

Decimal 39.7727 -86.17135

DDD MM.MMM N 39° 46.362 W 086° 10.281

DDD MM SS.SSS N 39° 46' 21.7200" W 86° 10' 16.8600"

Older Datum (NAD27)

DECIMAL 39.77267 -86.17138

DDD MM.MMM N 39° 46.360 W 086° 10.283

DDD MM SS.SSS N 39° 46' 21.5940" W 86° 10' 16.9752"

UTM

16S E 570968 N 4402858

British Grid

4153934 -6592752

First of all, the Mio is not appropriate for geocaching at all. It isn't waterproof, it isn't shockproof, it isn't designed to be held in the hand, and even though you can enter coordinates, the software is going to constantly try to lock your position to a street, which will constantly throw your position off. You'll almost certainly want to get an inexpensive handheld GPS.

Second, there may be an option to change the settings from the Dd coordinate format you're currently using to the DMm format geocaching uses.

And third, the conversion from decimal degrees to degrees/minutes is easy to do. Just multiply the decimal portion by 60 (60 minutes to a degree and all that). For example:

34.58126 N

0.58126 x 60 = 34.8756

So it would be N 34° 34.876'

We started out with a jenson car gps also and dealt with the same problem and above is right on the cache page right next to the coords is a link you click on to other conversions and it will be given there. We got aggravated with this and for christmas bought a garmin etrex and love it but about two weeks ago we were fiddling around with the jenson and found out that in the options menu you could change from the decimal to the degrees.min.sec. but we also found out that the dec.min.sec is a lot more accurate than just decimal hope this helps

MIOs can be cracked and you can even run GPXView on them if I'm not mistaken. They run an operating system just like a pocket pc (you'll have to google "mio crack" or "I love my mio"). Mp3 players and lots of stuff.

One can turn off "snap to road" on the Mio and it will be a ok GPS in the woods but not the best.

A friend bought one for his Motorcycle and it worked ok until he got caught in a rainstorm. Now it's a doorstop.

Wish I had better news.

Edited by Rattlebars

MIOs can be cracked and you can even run GPXView on them if I'm not mistaken. They run an operating system just like a pocket pc (you'll have to google "mio crack" or "I love my mio"). Mp3 players and lots of stuff.

One can turn off "snap to road" on the Mio and it will be a ok GPS in the woods but not the best.

A friend bought one for his Motorcycle and it worked ok until he got caught in a rainstorm. Now it's a doorstop.

Wish I had better news.

Even you can turn off "snap to road". It may surgished because it does not support walking mode. Used cachemate with a cheap SirStar III BT GPS in WM PPC. put in a waterproof bag. I was unsing this way.