How do you carry all your stuff?

Not the Mama!

This will probably give away our green-ness but right now we use one of those generic gym-style bags. You know the drawstring kinds you can put over your shoulders, I am getting a little weary of taking it off and putting it back on again. So far we have only done mild caches and we have't had to tote a lot of gear, so weight isn't an issue, but I want to get one of those one should bags I think, something with more pockets.

Now this may be silly, but how you you wear those maxpedition packs that everyone is talking about? Does it go on your back somehow, or around your waist?

The "S-Type" bag goes over the right shoulder and hangs on your left side. I am right handed and prefer this style. I don't like moving my arm around and it constantly hitting something, so this setup works great for me. I also liked the jumbo because of the water bottle holder. It's just one less thing I have to worry about sticking in the bag.

So far, I use a basic ruck sack. I has enough room, so far.

We have a couple of rucksacks, but I feel the need for something with multiple pockets otherwise you can get stuff lost in the bottom of the bag.

I Know what you mean. I looked at the suggested link and saw something that would be Very nice, indeed. BUT it cost like $116.00 and that would be the Colossus versapack. :D

The "S-Type" bag goes over the right shoulder and hangs on your left side. I am right handed and prefer this style. I don't like moving my arm around and it constantly hitting something, so this setup works great for me. I also liked the jumbo because of the water bottle holder. It's just one less thing I have to worry about sticking in the bag.

Yes, I think that sounds the best as if I'm having to scramble a little through some trees, I would favour my right side, so the bag on the left makes sense. I'm thinking that the Jumbo may be a little too big & heavy for me, so I think I'm edging towards the Fatboy - maybe with some additional pockets.... & without the gun! :D

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPr...mp;idproduct=31

I'll go along with the Maxpedition bags. I bought one when they first came out for a survival kit and I will take it along on anything longer than a park-and-grab. Never know what may happen. For some reason the O.D. colored bags tend to fade into a sort of emerald green color over time. Contents include first aid kit, pen, flashlight, survival cards, multi-tool, fire starter, survival blanket, signal mirror, compass, 30 feet of parachute cord, a Storm whistle, one of those sardine can survival kits, pepper spray and 'other' items that fit well in the back zippered pocket.

For swag I have a weird one-strap triangular-shaped backpack my wife got as a freebie from work. Its bright red an has plenty of storage. I keep a bottle of water, some sunscreen, spare batteries, a backup GPSr and a first aid kit down in the bottom. I sort out the swag in ZipLock bags to keep it from getting dumped when I have the bag open. Also have a couple of small pre-made caches should I want to place one.

Ok - is your REAL name "Bear Grylls?" ;)

I wear a vest like this one when it's not too hot 8d829c06-9b9b-48d2-ab35-896d98e8cbaf.jpg The multiple pockets give me places for things like batteries, camera, signature swag, medical forcepts for fishing out those pesky nano logs, latex gloves, compass, pens, handi-wipes, PDA and when it's not in my hand, my GPSr. :laughing: I've tried many models, and I think that it is a personal choice on the layout you'd like

In post #16, I said I carried a Pine Creek bag similar in design to the Maxpedition but a much smaller & plainer style. That bag is impossible to find anywhere. I've found these Everest Bags that look pretty much like what I'm using.

http://www.everestbag.com/shwCat.asp?cid=4 Styles BB-3, BB-5 & BB-9. I use one everyday for a pocketbook & one for caching. It hangs over my right shoulder & down by my left front hip area. Love the hands free aspect & the bag is not behing me.

Amazon.com has them too.

http://www.amazon.com/Everest-Dragonfly-Sl...d_sbs_a_title_1

http://www.amazon.com/Everest-Metro-Messen...3C9WYA3DYE92TF0

Only differences I see from mine are that my cell phone pocket is sewn onto the bag/strap part; and my bag has a metal D-ring that I attach my GPS & keys to on the other bag/strap area. Both are features I appreciate & these bags don't have those. The shape of the bag is exactly like the 2nd link however. Its a pretty good match.

Edited by wandering4cache

I use one like Not The Momma just got. I picked it up at a thrift store for 2.50 I think. Works great fits all my little stuff ; pen,TB's,GPS,batteries,CHARGER!!,water....

It works really well to have something to hold it all and small enough that you barely notice.

and it goes where I go. Probably half of my caches have been done while working, during lunch,on my way to work or on my way home. So the more easy and portable the better.

I went with the knock-off version of the Maxpedition Fatboy I found on ebay. Like This.

Works good - has plenty of pockets for stuff and comfortable to wear on my motorcycle. The one pocket that Maxpedition uses for a pistol is very small on the knock off version. But a few minutes with a sharp knife I was able to cut the liner so I can at least use the whole pocket rather than just the upper third of the space. Not suer why they built it that way. Too narrow for a pistol, but I prefer that in a holster on me anyway instead of in a bag.

Good bag for 20 bucks.

Edited by MorganCoke

I went with the knock-off version of the Maxpedition Fatboy I found on ebay. Like This.

Works good - has plenty of pockets for stuff and comfortable to wear on my motorcycle. The one pocket that Maxpedition uses for a pistol is very small on the knock off version. But a few minutes with a sharp knife I was able to cut the liner so I can at least use the whole pocket rather than just the upper third of the space. Not suer why they built it that way. Too narrow for a pistol, but I prefer that in a holster on me anyway instead of in a bag.

Good bag for 20 bucks.

I've used one for a while. Holds everything that I need.

BUT, I just bought a Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack (good price - used on ebay) mainly for the water bottle pocket.

BUT, I just bought a Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack (good price - used on ebay) mainly for the water bottle pocket.

I added a water bottle holder - one of those carabiner clips that have a little ring that goes around the bottle. Was like 1.99 at a local store. Easy and cheap solution - my favorite kind.

Good bag for 20 bucks.

That's a much better price. I'll have to see if hubby would want one for that price. No problem with the overseas shipping location I assume?

Looks like its available in 4 different colors too. A solid or 3 different camo colors. One of the camo colors is only $7.99. ????

Edited by wandering4cache

That's a much better price. I'll have to see if hubby would want one for that price. No problem with the overseas shipping location I assume?

Looks like its available in 4 different colors too. A solid or 3 different camo colors. One of the camo colors is only $7.99. ????

No problems with shipping at all. I have a feeling it is actually shipped from somewhere in the US even though the 'company' that makes it is overseas.

It doesn't have all the features of the Maxpedition version, but it is 1/3 of the price (including shipping) and works great for caching.

Search ebay for 'carabiner water bottle holder' and clip one of those on the bag and you are set. I also added the belt clip that was included with my 60csx onto the bag so I have a 'quick detach' place for my GPS instead of setting it on the ground (and forgetting it).

I like to use a camelpack because it carries a lot of water and it leaves my hands open for climbing and searching. Most of my hikes are long and crazy so carrying stuff in pockets can be really inconvenient. The vest isn't too bad of idea, one of my buddies likes to use one, but again, you are going to have stuff jingling around that might get kind of annoying.

At the beginning of the school year, I always pick up a couple of one shoulder backpack type bags at Dollar Tree. Once they rip, I throw them away -- but they actually take a pretty good beating. Great for grabbing from your trunk and heading out to a cache a short distance away.

My ABSOLUTE FAVORITE bag is my REI Flashpack...$25.00

REI Flash UL Pack

Absolutely love it!! ULTRALIGHT! Fits secure, just enough inside pockets, has a water reservoir pocket and when turned inside out is a stuff sack that fits into my overnight backpack! Cannot rave about this product enough.

Edited by LSUMonica

I have a photographer's vest, but find it a bit hot and cumbersome at times. I use a bum bag that hangs behind me. It does not then flop over my shoulder as my other bag does . . . . backpack is ok, but then I'm nearly on my head looking on the ground, the contents of a backpack can end up all jumbled.

Main thing though: put your car keys in some place where they are zipped or clipped. Losing those in the middle of nowhere would be about the worst thing.

I got a bike GPS carrier from Garmin for about $12, sent one to my son who got me into geocaching. I also own half dozen bags from tiny to large, all bought at yard sales or second hand stores. I ride trails paved and non and find caches that way. Otherwise I use fanny or small backpack with water bottle, pencils, paper. I always forget to bring items for exchange. Nice to read what you all take along.

Hi

I'm looking at ways to carry all my geocaching stuff. I've been using a bum bag up to now, but it's uncomfortable & gets in the way. What do you use to carry all your stuff?

I chuck all my stuff into a small backpack. That way all I have to do is put in some fresh bottle of water/gatorade and I'm set to go! I have learned to carry only stuff that I really need.

I started with a Timex Expedition saddlebag (Man-Purse) that I bought at Meijer for around $10.

536945_200.jpg

You can see that I added my own padded shoulder strap.

576148_200.jpg

da7e5624-f6e2-4f51-b712-aba311fc92c0.jpg

I've tried backpacks but I carry a wide variety of gear and it got all jumbled around, even after attempting to mix it up into different pockets...there are never enough pockets. I mainly use my Camelback pack for my annual cache-a-thon deep into the backwoods of Michigan's Upper Peninsula...and mainly for its hydration bag.

f6d22baf-4cdc-4ff1-801d-030d7f24c708.jpg

I went back to my Timex Expedition.

Then I saw fly fishing vests on sale at Cabela's and bought one. I really like it. Tons of pockets...although it took some getting used to what was in which pocket. Now I go right to everything tho. I bought it big for me so that it fits on over my Winter jacket. It has mesh shoulders so it stays cool even in the Summer.

577a5a7e-a39e-4312-b200-3f84efefd9e4.jpg

27ad8c85-4cd3-47b2-840a-422659d28d6a.jpg

When the vest starts feeling awkward I go back to my Timex Expedition.

Later I saw hunter's thigh bags at Cabelas. I use these for Winters and they work well. I can drive my truck with them on but not my Jeep. For very cold Winters I like them alot.

bef37081-f1e1-4222-a5e1-56ebbc538e53.jpg

But I still return to my tried and true Timex Expedition.