How do you carry all your stuff?

Not the Mama!

Hey - I like that Moose Mob look. I could pass myself off as a wildlife photographer... a great new cover! Goodness knows I've always got a camera hanging around my neck when caching. And the vest idea is pretty handy... I use one close to that for fishing up here. Lots of room for first aid supplies too (I understand that's something the Moose Mob would recommend you carry as well...).

Hmmm - I've tried hiring a sherpa - no one bit at the paltry wage I wanted to pay...

The standard poodles that allow me along on their wilderness treks laughed at the thought of wearing packs...

So, I've been using a daypack with lots of pockets (which is, unfortunately, a great way to 'misplace' a traveler for a period of time longer than socially acceptable... been there & done that). A caching friend uses something that looks like a mechanic's toolbag & goes onto a waistbelt (he skijors & that rig leaves his hands free for ski poles in the winter...)

The shoulder-sling style bag sold by REI & others looks ergonomically correct, if you could find one that could carry a couple of water bottles, a camera, PDA, spare batteries, first aid gear, treats for the dogs, swag & travelers (all in their own 'organized' spots) and still be 'comfortable' on the trail... but I'm sticking with the daypack system right now. It works good whether I'm hiking longer distances or just 'car-caching'. I'm still liking that Moose Mob vest system though... hmmmm. It would have to leave my right hip clear...

For short treks we use an old camera bag. It has lots of compartments, which I like to organized stuff into. It's not the most comfortable to carry on longer treks, but I make Mr. BP carry it most of the time, as his punishment for disorganizing all the compartments I've neatly organized. For anything longer than a few kilometers we just put the basic necessities in a backpack with all the rest of our gear.

Hi

I'm looking at ways to carry all my geocaching stuff. I've been using a bum bag up to now, but it's uncomfortable & gets in the way. What do you use to carry all your stuff?

Depends a WHOLE LOT on the weather and the conditions. (Snow, Rain, Fog, Sun, Cloudy, -40*C to +40*C, 0-100% humidity, 0-80 kph wind). Also it varies if it is an urban or country cache.

But pockets are my friends. The more the merrier. I prefer pants with cargo pockets. Jackets and coats with interior and exterior pockets. Shirts with a chest pocket often sport my reading glasses.

Right now it's the middle of winter so winter gloves, parka, boots and toque are standard clothing. In the tweener seasons, I'll have a jacket or sweater and hat. And summer, I gotta have sturdy but light clothing to beat through bushes and the like. I suppose I could use a vest of many pockets but I just naturally turn to:

my day pack with swag and gear is ALWAYS with me. For discrete urban caches it can stay in the vehicle.

1. GPSr

2. PDA (started out with a binder of paper printouts!)

3. Cell phone

4. Reading glasses

5. Writing implements

6. Walking stick

7. Personal coins; TBs and coins to trade; swag

8. Day pack, water, survival kit, first-aid kit, gloves, headlamp, cordage, batteries, et al.

9. Extra caches to hide. (in vehicle)

10. Cache repair kit (in vehicle)

AE6G-0Z1_mag.jpg

I have a M.U.L.E. Camelbak which has 100 Oz of ice water and 549 cubic inches of space and I also have a fishing shirt that has lots of pockets and a pen pocket (very import to me). I carry the common things (TB, Sig coin, mirror etc.) in the shirt and I carry the extra stuff (spare battries, new logs, plastic bags etc.) in the pack.

I have a hip pack that carries all non caching items:

Water bottles, first aid kit, snacks and my camera

I use a "Micro Pack" that I bought at Cabela's (sp?) It holds my GPSr, spare battery a few swag items, A pen and a small notebook.

That combo works for 90% of all my caching needs. If I'm going on a major hike to get one than all goes into a day pack along with extra supplies like a coat, survival kit, additional food and the cell phone.

I use the same bag as Airhead-kb. It is the Maxpedition JUMBO S-TYPE™ VERSIPACK. The "S-Type" goes over the right shoulder and hangs on our left side. I tried a fanny pack at first but it was too small to carry TB's if I picked them up and had no where to carry water or snacks. I then went to a hydration back pack but I hated taking it off and then putting it back on and then taking it off and then putting it back on........

This pack has a large center and smaller pockets. It also has a spot to carry a 32 oz water bottle. You can also purcahse accessory pouches for it if you need them, I don't as of yet. My daughters also like it because it is easier for them to get into than the other two bags I had used before.

It is currently on sale at www.ebags.com for $64.00 + shipping. It comes in three colors. You can also go to www.maxpedition.com to look at all of their packs and accessories.

I use the same bag as Airhead-kb. It is the Maxpedition JUMBO S-TYPE™ VERSIPACK. The "S-Type" goes over the right shoulder and hangs on our left side. I tried a fanny pack at first but it was too small to carry TB's if I picked them up and had no where to carry water or snacks. I then went to a hydration back pack but I hated taking it off and then putting it back on and then taking it off and then putting it back on........

This pack has a large center and smaller pockets. It also has a spot to carry a 32 oz water bottle. You can also purcahse accessory pouches for it if you need them, I don't as of yet. My daughters also like it because it is easier for them to get into than the other two bags I had used before.

It is currently on sale at www.ebags.com for $64.00 + shipping. It comes in three colors. You can also go to www.maxpedition.com to look at all of their packs and accessories.

I have a bag similar in design that I love. I actually have 2 but they are impossible to find. One I picked up at a hotel gift shop in Orlando. Then I was lucky to find someone selling one they didn't like on ebay. I've googled & googled with no luck. I like the way it hangs across my body & down by the hip. Mine doesn't have water pocket however & could use some better organization inside. Its by Pine Creek USA. Usually called a Messanger Bag when I've been able to find them online. Usually $15.

I use one as an everyday pocketbook. LOVE IT. I'm not fashionable. lol

The other is my cache bag.

Love that it doesn't slide off shoulder, my hands are free, & its not behind me.

I've tried fanny packs & backpacks.

I'm going to go check out this bag. Thanks.

I use the same bag as Airhead-kb. It is the Maxpedition JUMBO S-TYPE™ VERSIPACK. ...It is currently on sale at www.ebags.com for $64.00 + shipping.

Actually mine is a $20 knock off. Search ebay "Shoulder bag" and select "Militaria" catagory.

The big difference is that my knock off does not have the pistol pocket under the top zipper, but only a small pocket suitable for batteries.

I use a Mountainsmith Lumbar Pack similar to this one which is on sale at Campmor right now for only $24.00. It is very comfortable and can hold lots and lots of miscellaneous Geocaching stuff.

48299_l.jpg

My camera is in a camera case attached to the waist belt in front so it is easy to get to. I carry the SWAG and TBs in another case also attached to the front of the waist belt.

I use a set of two vests; one for me, one for my dog.

I carry; PDA, GPS, Multi-tool, refreshments, camera, extra pens, flashlight, batteries, pieces for trading, and rubber gloves. (Sometimes I have reservations about putting my hands places.)

It's good because if ever Im going anywhere without much notice, I can just grab the vest and Im ready to go. Also, if I am dealing with something and I think "This would be great for GC'ing" then it just goes in the vest. Plus, it gets to be decorated with pins/buttons/patches found in caches.

My dog's saddlebag/vest carries; his leash, water and bowl, treats, batteries, a hand towel to handle muddy paws, and a toy for long car rides.

My wife carries herself, barely.

Edited by TeamTaqleberry

I have a military 3 day assault pack. I've had it so many years, if I lost it I'd likely cry. It has external webbing, and internal mesh pockets, as well as a hydration sleeve. Granted, it cost a bit when I first got it, and may be overkill for a grab-n-go, but, I like to have enough stuff with me in the event I have an unplanned night out. Besides, its usually stashed in my jeep anyway, minus the electronics.

Interesting how many different ways there are to carry our gear.

This is the kit I use now. I use to use a backpack, but it got to heavy to carry and was uncomfortable plus in the summer it made me hot and caused me to sweat alot.

This gear is army surplus and very reasonably priced. Much more comfortable and enough pouches to hold all my stuff.

CachingKit003.jpg

Edited by Barefoot One & Wench

This is the kit I use now, I use to use a backpack, but it got to heavy to carry and was uncomfortable.

This gear is army surplus and very reasonably priced. Much more comfortable and enough pouches to hold all my stuff.

CachingKit003.jpg

Drawback with this, is you're liable to set off some nut case thinking there was a terrorist with a bomb strapped to him. (YOU!) they'd see all the bulges, never mind the Groundspeak logo pin.

The backpack or book bag is a basic idea.. I've seen quite a few kids getting on my bus with one that's a single 'Sling' type, where the strap is worn across the front, going from upper left to lower right.

I still use a standard 2-strap soft pack myself.. carrying GPS, PDA, A couple of ready-eat meals (for long hikes, I bring lunch.) , swag, pen, flashlight, spare batteries. (mainly for the GPS, but actually had to refuel a mini cassette recorder on one cache. Talk about Mission Impossible flashbacks! This tape will self..de..s.t.r.u....*click* Oh-Crap! :ph34r: ) (stop laughing JAMM!), a plastic grocery bag (for CITO), and a couple of hand-warmer packs. (it's winter, and COLD!! :( )

Oh, man. I desperately need a new pack. This one below used to be my carry-on-the-plane-in-case-checked-bags-get-lost bag ... now it's got half of the local swamps all over it, so it's not so great for that purpose anymore. Plus it won't hold all my caching gear and is a bit lightweight in terms of its construction. Etc, etc, etc.

cachingequip54swamp.jpg

Happily, my birthday is coming up. I think I have a solid argument for an awesome pack!

StumpWater

I use a military surplus bag that was a medics bags. several compartments and great for an afternoon. I also have a leg strap that has several compartments that is great for the woods when I need both hands free.

The problem with the bag is that my wife liked it so much that she started using one as a purse! Don't we look cute out caching with our matching bags? But hey accessorize properly. It goes nicely with my OD Green Field Jacket and matching pumps! (I am sharin' way to much with you people!)

:ph34r: Interesting observation, but I'm not to concerned about any nut job panicking and calling out the national guard thinking I'm a terrorist :P . At 60 years old I hardly fit the description especially with my hiking staff by my side. HikingStaff.jpg

This is the kit I use now, I use to use a backpack, but it got to heavy to carry and was uncomfortable.

CachingKit003.jpg

Drawback with this, is you're liable to set off some nut case thinking there was a terrorist with a bomb strapped to him. (YOU!) they'd see all the bulges, never mind the Groundspeak logo pin.

The backpack or book bag is a basic idea.. I've seen quite a few kids getting on my bus with one that's a single 'Sling' type, where the strap is worn across the front, going from upper left to lower right.

I still use a standard 2-strap soft pack myself.. carrying GPS, PDA, A couple of ready-eat meals (for long hikes, I bring lunch.) , swag, pen, flashlight, spare batteries. (mainly for the GPS, but actually had to refuel a mini cassette recorder on one cache. Talk about Mission Impossible flashbacks! This tape will self..de..s.t.r.u....*click* Oh-Crap! :( ) (stop laughing JAMM!), a plastic grocery bag (for CITO), and a couple of hand-warmer packs. (it's winter, and COLD!! :) )

I have a rain poncho, water bottle, small first aid kit, assorted trading stuff, extra batteries, flashlight, pen/pencil/marker, small tablet, PDA, glasses (sun & reading), orange vest for me and dog (during hunting season) etc.

Carries all the gear I need.

Plus, if your the kind of person who carries a little something for personal protection, there is a compartment for that too.

I'll go along with the Maxpedition bags. I bought one when they first came out for a survival kit and I will take it along on anything longer than a park-and-grab. Never know what may happen. For some reason the O.D. colored bags tend to fade into a sort of emerald green color over time. Contents include first aid kit, pen, flashlight, survival cards, multi-tool, fire starter, survival blanket, signal mirror, compass, 30 feet of parachute cord, a Storm whistle, one of those sardine can survival kits, pepper spray and 'other' items that fit well in the back zippered pocket.

For swag I have a weird one-strap triangular-shaped backpack my wife got as a freebie from work. Its bright red an has plenty of storage. I keep a bottle of water, some sunscreen, spare batteries, a backup GPSr and a first aid kit down in the bottom. I sort out the swag in ZipLock bags to keep it from getting dumped when I have the bag open. Also have a couple of small pre-made caches should I want to place one.

If you are looking for a messenger bag, eBags.com has a pretty good selection, although some of them are rather large. I picked up one for Xmas that is just big enough to hold standard magazines and has a few pockets and places for pens and glasses. I carry my computer books and tablet PC in it for urban travel. I had a lot of difficulty finding a reasonably priced small messenger bag that didn't look feminine. The bag I bought from them was located through a Google search, but can't be found by searching directly from their website -- go figure.

I use a military surplus bag that was a medics bags. several compartments and great for an afternoon. I also have a leg strap that has several compartments that is great for the woods when I need both hands free.

The problem with the bag is that my wife liked it so much that she started using one as a purse! Don't we look cute out caching with our matching bags? But hey accessorize properly. It goes nicely with my OD Green Field Jacket and matching pumps! (I am sharin' way to much with you people!)

I'm using the same thing its a Molle Medic Bag. Very happy with it, versatile without being to big.

I used to carry everything in a small camo knapsack, but I wanted something different. Didn't like the thing sitting on my back causing me to sweat like crazy in the warmer months, so I went to this........

Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack.......love it.

I'd have to agree with Team LPD. I bought a Jumbo Versipack back in Nov and I love it! :o I think it's the perfect bag for cache raids and holds everything I need to cache with, plus some extras. If you want more room they just came out with an even bigger one called the COLOSSUS™ Versipack™

Edited by Ducky

Depends on the trip length but I personally hate carrying anything. I like wearing what I bring along. Have a nice padded backpack that can fit an ammo can and other 'supplies' without causing much pain, even when mountain biking. I also have the Camelback M.U.L.E. and love it, fill that sucker with ice and then top off with water and it keeps you cool all day (important even in February in Florida). Lots of storage compartments but no room for full caches to tag along. My GPS is on a belt clip (or handlebar clip for biking), PDA on a belt clip, camera always along (Z3 for rugged trips and paddling, Sony A-100 for calmer trips). Always have my Apalachian hiking stick (with GC metal tag of course) when on foot. Try to keep it all in the back of the Jeepster ready to go... find the spot, scope it out, pick the gear and go :o

I like the look of the Versipack, although I'm not sure if the Jumbo may be a little too big for me. Otherwise, they have right & left sided versions. I'm right-handed, so wouldn't that make the left sided version better for me? What do the experts suggest?

Depends on if you make use of the interior compartment of the maxpedition bags.

They have a velcro patch that is designed for a holster for a CCW. Personally, I like my CCW on me, not in a bag.