Turning GeoCaching into a Business

geo'joe

Websites are turning GeoCaching into a business. I thought it was just supposed to be a fun game.

(No offence Geocaching.com)

you have to pay for:

ability to be a premium member

ability to list caches as premium members only $3

ability to download coordinates of caches - free (or $3 to get coordinates for PMOC)

ability to download additional cache information - $3/month

ability to list a trackable item - varies around $4.25 per item

Edited by geo'joe

Websites are turning GeoCaching into a business. I thought it was just supposed to be a fun game.

Groundspeak is a registered business in the state of Washington. It's a "For Profit" business. If it was just a game, Groundspeak would not have the ability to hire programmers and customer support staff and we would not be able to enjoy our "Game" like we do...

You can play chess for free using rocks and sticks. Most don't. There are things that people value that can enhance the expereince. Often those things are sold. If they had no value there would be no market.

That said there are aspects to geocaching that should not at all ever be commercial.

Geocaching is still a fun game. If some enterprising people figured out a way to make a buck out of it, more power to them. My only regret is that I didn't think of it.

A site such as this one takes a lot of money to run. Servers, bandwidth, development costs. I'm not sure how one would expect to pay for that if it wasn't a business. Perhaps run a telethon every year?

examples?

you have to pay for:

ability to download coordinates of caches - free (or $3 to get coordinates for PMOC)

Aww, and I suppose it's a hardship to pay for GAS to get to the cache, Wasted Energy causing you to buy food, sore facial muscles from smiling when you get a FTF, the breathing of fresh air, because you got outside and did some OUTDOOR activity. The list goes on.

It's the exact same as any other hobby, you pay for what you WANT to pay for. No one is stopping you, or forcing you. You can still do this for free. I think 30 bucks a year is insanely cheap, considering how much money you can spend on other activities. If you don't want a TB, then don't buy one, if you do, then sorry, no one is going to hand it to you for free.

If the price is too high, sell that GPS and take up another hobby. Although I'm not sure what you'll be able to do without spending a penny.

examples?

you have to pay for:

It occurs to me that all of those things have not changed for the last several years. You, on the other hand, joined up a minute and a half ago and your OP makes it sound like things are a changin'.

What's really up?

you have to pay for:

By the way, you don't have to pay for any of this. You can enjoy the sport for free if you so desire.

examples?

you have to pay for:

Basic caching is free.

Services above and beyond that are how this site funds itself, and it's staff.

Taking a look at your list.

PM Caches. This site still lets you log them if you find them with another member.

Pocket Query. A nice upgrade. Similar funcionalty can be done one cache at a time...slow but workable.

Trackable Item. You can write your own website, use post cards, email or smoke signals and track your own. Or you can do it here simply but for a fee. There are other tracking sites other than just this one. Some free, some for a small fee.

It occurs to me that all of those things have not changed for the last several years. You, on the other hand, joined up a minute and a half ago and your OP makes it sound like things are a changin'.

What's really up?

I smell one of these...

180px-Dirty-socks2.jpg

I'd appreciate you not posting pictures of me in your posts

Is it time for Captain Clorox to take a peek???

No need. Both 'geo joes' logged a find on the same cache on 1/6. The other 'geo joe' also took basically the same position a few minutes prior in the 'homemade travel bugs' thread. Methinks that they are the same person.

Edited by sbell111

you have to pay for:

It would be nice if you included all the items on my list that said "Free". Yes, Geocaching.com charges for certain services. It offers many more for free in order to support the sport of geocaching. The sport/game/hobby of geocaching is something you can do for free - possibly even without logging on to Geocaching.com - but even if that is the only source you had for finding listings of caches to search for it is FREE and, according to Jeremy, always will be. There are additional services Geocaching.com offers for free that aren't even required for you to go geocaching. It's free to log your finds online. You don't have to log finds on line to go geocaching. Its free to log the trackables that someone else paid to list on Geocaching.com. Stop confusing the services provided by Geocaching.com with geocaching.

I thought it was just supposed to be a fun game.

Can you please explain how Groundspeak being a business is ruining your fun.. Use detailed examples please.

Anyone knows that making money off of something that most people do for enjoyment is degrading. It's even illegal in most states. :)

examples?

you have to pay for:

What's really up?

And has found one cache.

Yup, there's the oder of dirty sock in the air. RoN...no offense meant. :)

you have to pay for:

Those are all just bells and whistles. Geocaching remains essentially free, except for the your own equipment costs.

you have to pay for:

You forgot one thing at the bottom of your post.

Enjoying geocaching...............PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

you have to pay for:

SP here?

Everything I do on geocaching.com is free. Yes I did once pay for a year but let it lapse for certain reasons. Then later on I paid for a month and those same reasons poped up again so I let it lapse. I'll wait till V.2 is up and runing before I pay again. Sometimes I wonder if the Garmin programmers of the colorado work here too, ouch there I go and break a resolution.

Most importantly you get the chance to complain in these here forums for free, love that. Nowadays I don't complain but I used to be just like you.

Edited by trainlove

you have to pay for:

Having the best time of your life... Priceless!!

How about replacing "are turning" with "have turned" since Geocaching.com has been in business for the better part of a decade.

Geocaching has not turned into a business. It is still a game. There is just a line of geocaching products. The two are completly seperate.

Groundspeak is a registered business in the state of Washington. It's a "For Profit" business. If it was just a game, Groundspeak would not have the ability to hire programmers and customer support staff and we would not be able to enjoy our "Game" like we do...

Nor would it have the funds to pay for the high speed servers, high speed backbone, and related support equipment and systems.

examples?

you have to pay for:

Aww, and I suppose it's a hardship to pay for GAS to get to the cache, Wasted Energy causing you to buy food, sore facial muscles from smiling when you get a FTF, the breathing of fresh air, because you got outside and did some OUTDOOR activity. The list goes on.

It's the exact same as any other hobby, you pay for what you WANT to pay for. No one is stopping you, or forcing you. You can still do this for free. I think 30 bucks a year is insanely cheap, considering how much money you can spend on other activities. If you don't want a TB, then don't buy one, if you do, then sorry, no one is going to hand it to you for free.

If the price is too high, sell that GPS and take up another hobby. Although I'm not sure what you'll be able to do without spending a penny.

You also get the kind of answers you pay for. :):)

How about replacing "are turning" with "have turned" since Geocaching.com has been in business for the better part of a decade.

Geocaching has not turned into a business. It is still a game. There is just a line of geocaching products. The two are completly seperate.

If Geocaching.com (the business) was not operating, there would be no game.

Ok, you'd have a few hundred terracaches in Montana and Texas, but that's about it. Oh, Terracaching.com is a business too, so nevermind. :)

you have to pay for:

Upon examination, this is a very strange post, and I must note that it contains a number of the hallmarks of a troll post, as follows:

• the OPs list included multiple (namely, four) citations of the same $3/ per month fee across separate line items as if they were separate and additive fees. The reality is that it is the same PM membership fee which she/he is referencing each time. This is very misleading, and is a common tactic used by yellow journalists to inflame public opinion.
  • there is an implicit and innate tone of whining and entitlement in the post, from the very first sentence, with the embedded classic message of entitlement, namely, that everything in life should be free and "I will complain loudly if I encounter something that is not free."
  • much in line with the item immediately above, but building upon it, there is the more audacious implicit and innate assumption inherent in the original post that advanced site features and PM benefits should be free for all.

I am disgusted. Excuse me while I go puke. Hope I make it to the bathroom in time before I retch and toss my late breakfast (it was four eggs over medium, sourdough bread with raw butter, and sausage patties, along with a cup of radioactive water from my radium water dispenser, if you were wondering...).

In parting, I would like to suggest to the OP that he/she may wish to acquire the attitudes of gratitude, grace, easefulness and appreciation, and concomitantly, let go of some of their sense of entitlement, which is -- and I am speaking here as a former clinical psychologist -- really usually a sign a veiled hostility. The hostility and whining were certainly obvious to me in from casual inspection of the original post. ...sad... may you go in peace and may you be healed by Holy Spirit....

Milton Bradley is a business. (twister, tons of board games)

Wizards of the Coast is a busines. (D&D, Magic the Gathering)

Parker Brothers is a business (Monopoly)

Bicycle is a business (playing cards)

Topps is a business (Baseball Cards)

Ping is a business (golf clubs)

Dell is a business (computers)

Garmin is a business (GPSr's)

Nike is a business (my hiking boots)

Wilson is a business (tennis rackets)

Louisville Slugger is a businees (baseball bats)

Gotta pay somebody to play the games. This is the cheapest hobby I've ever been involved in (witht he possible exception of handball) - $100 for a GPSr and you can start. If you are really daring, do it without a gpsr via google earth, etc.

Name me one sport that does not involve some cach outlay. If you are bright enough and in the right place at the right time and are able to make a living at your pastime - power to you.

I love the game and appreciate all the extra features that make this game more enjoyable to prepare for and play.

I'm not advertising, just showing an example: the website http://www.14ers.com is a great resource for everybody interested in enjoying hiking in Colorado and around the world. The forum allows any topic to be discussed. The route descriptions, pictures, maps, route fly-overs, and other functionality and features are all absolutely free to use. Now, Bill Middlebrook, the owner and programmer of the site, offers it for free and it was originally funded through donations and his own personal cash. He has since started and grown his product line which helps fund the rapidly-growing site. I have no problem with this, and I have no problem with Geocaching.com offering additional services/products to help fund the growth and continuation of the site. If you have time, browse around 14ers.com and get an idea of how much work really goes into creating, maintaining, and growing a website.

Kojones

you have to pay for:

Pay to be premium - Cheaper than paying for ink and paper for all the caches I want to find. I can convert all the data I need into 1's and 0's and load it into the PDA and off I go to have fun.

List caches as a premium member. You can be a regular memebr and list caches

dowload coordinates - free - right to the GPS

Dowload cache additional information - unless you use the features of premium membership, why do you

need this information?

list a trackable item - no need to pay to list - the only thing you pay for is if you buy an item. If you find one, you an log it for free.

I would rather pay for the "benefits" provide by geocaching that to pay for them when I am older and need a ton of medical care because I spent my life on the couch instead of in the woods. I am glad I got introduced to geocachhng last year. It has given me a lot to do this winter in MI which would otherwise be spent inside due to the snow.

Geocaching is free.

Geocaching.com is a for profit business. (Don't you wish you would have thought of it? :) )

I have no problem with the business and I am glad to use their services. :)

I do get upset when comments [i have heard in the past] are made to the effect that those who do not buy premium memberships are not supporting this hobby of geocaching. There are many ways to support the game without purchasing services from Groundspeak. Whether one chooses to buy a premium membership or not is their own business.

you have to pay for:

Upon examination, this is a very strange post, and I must note that it contains a number of the hallmarks of a troll post, as follows:

• the OPs list included multiple (namely, four) citations of the same $3/ per month fee across separate line items as if they were separate and additive fees. The reality is that it is the same PM membership fee which she/he is referencing each time. This is very misleading, and is a common tactic used by yellow journalists to inflame public opinion.
  • there is an implicit and innate tone of whining and entitlement in the post, from the very first sentence, with the embedded classic message of entitlement, namely, that everything in life should be free and "I will complain loudly if I encounter something that is not free."
  • much in line with the item immediately above, but building upon it, there is the more audacious implicit and innate assumption inherent in the original post that advanced site features and PM benefits should be free for all.

I am disgusted. Excuse me while I go puke. Hope I make it to the bathroom in time before I retch and toss my late breakfast (it was four eggs over medium, sourdough bread with raw butter, and sausage patties, along with a cup of radioactive water from my radium water dispenser, if you were wondering...).

In parting, I would like to suggest to the OP that he/she may wish to acquire the attitudes of gratitude, grace, easefulness and appreciation, and concomitantly, let go of some of their sense of entitlement, which is -- and I am speaking here as a former clinical psychologist -- really usually a sign a veiled hostility. The hostility and whining were certainly obvious to me in from casual inspection of the original post. ...sad... may you go in peace and may you be healed by Holy Spirit....

This explanation has got to be worth the three bucks, I know it was worth it to me! :)

Well I finally went and did it I became a premium member. I have been a member since 11/04 and I had an epiphany and decided I would part with 30 precious dollars.

I have always thought of this “thing” as just another passing fancy. I told myself that if I was still into this “thing” in a year that I would become a PM – well that came and went. I had this vision of being the most active NPM so I pushed on.

I have had some personal issues so to say and have always been hesitant to give when I can get it for, well free.

Nobody has ever questioned my membership; nobody ever asked me why, does anyone care – well I do.

I had taken several steps to become a PM before this but never went completed the deed. Last week the thoughts crept into my mind again – stronger this time. I had this urge to use my credit card but I suppressed the urge but it came on stronger this time.

I printed the address to the subscription page, got an envelope and the checkbook – OMG the checkbook was I really going to do this. I label the envelope carefully printing the address, I then carefully add my return address – OMG my hands are starting to shake, I can’t believe that I’ve made it this far. Ok, lets now type a nice formal letter, crap I have to pee, lets think about this – ok. Well I make it back safe and sound, I open the check book and fill out the check – I can tear this up – no it’s ok you can do this, alright. Check in hand I carefully fold the formal letter requesting to be upgraded to PM status and insert the check into the letter – my hands continue to shake and tremble. Ok it’s in – that was tough, I can still tear this up – don’t you’ve made it this far. Now it’s time for the stamp and trip to the post office. Lets sleep on this and I’ll do it tomorrow.

I wake from a restless night’s sleep and there it is the subscription letter taunting me, I think it’s now or never – lets go.

There is a mailbox on the way to school, give the boy the letter and tell him to drop it in the box for me – I can’t do it. The deed is done, the letter is in the box, will it get there, will someone read it, and will my check bounce – NOOOOOOOOOOO.

Well to make a long rambling story short I am a natural born cheapskate – I can make pennies cry. My check cleared I got my PM and I am as giddy as a schoolboy with a new crush. All these new and hidden things to explore, touch play with, caress and love. I am now glad that I have done my part to support the site. Proud Premium Member since 11/14/06.

for the cheapskates at heart - pony up or shut up

I'm with the OP. This sets a very bad precedent. This could give people the idea that they can offer a product or service that others want and charge money for it.

I can't understand why some people aren't content to make their living the honorable way--waiting by the mailbox for the check.

Edited by Mule Ears

you have to pay for:

Gee its the business of caching that allows you to post this complaint it the first place. It seem like you don't care about the business if it helps you only when you don't like something.

So since you are so upset about this you should stop using the services that you are objecting to.

It only makes sense and make show us that you believe what you are saying.

You should feel good for the site (and the people making miney) :laughing:

Replying to a post from the same IP Address and a similar name, who just happened to be along with you on the same cache hunt last month. Hmmmm. I'm getting a whiff of hosiery in the air.

If you are gonna wear socks, wear plain white crew socks. You lose style points for wearing flaming pink neon socks.

You should feel good for the site (and the people making miney) :laughing:

Replying to a post from the same IP Address and a similar name, who just happened to be along with you on the same cache hunt last month. Hmmmm. I'm getting a whiff of hosiery in the air.

If you are gonna wear socks, wear plain white crew socks. You lose style points for wearing flaming pink neon socks.

Captain Clorox is right. Replying to your own post is the mark of ... well.... something icky.

Closing thread for at least the time being, while the laundry is sorted.