Hoggin' the FTFs?

***The FTF race is a game-within-a-game played with varying degrees of intensity by a subset of people who geocache.***

Are you in this "Subset"? Someone that is able to sit home and wait for the New Cache email to come?

I have been first to find on a few caches, but I'm not an FTF hound, if that is what you are asking.

Will allowing a different way to post caches make more competition for people in this "Subset"?

Without knowing how any such hypothetical change might be implemented, I have no idea how its impact would be felt.

***It's not an officially recognized aspect of the GC.com website, and there are no features that even directly support or address the concept. In other words, it's a player thing***

If it is a "Player Thing"...then why do you not want more interested players to play?

Where did I say anything at all about caring who plays, or who doesn't?

If, by your questions, you are implying that I am trying to protect the status quo because a change in this regard would represent a threat to the way I geocache, you are way off base. I honestly don't care if less people seek FTFs, or more people seek FTFs, or if everyone on the planet suddenly started seeking FTFs. I am not an FTF hunter. All I am saying is that since the web site itself doesn't attempt to define, address, or even recognize FTFs, it makes no sense to discuss changes to the way caches are published to promote FTF 'fairness'. It's a game that should be left to the people who choose to play it, within the current operational characteristics of the web site.

That seems a little selfish to me. Why should someone who has a lot of fun racing for FTFs be expected to stop and wait for other cachers who don't care enough to even race for them?

The 'fun' is the race itself.

WTF? Letting others in on the fun (and thus, by definition, sacrificing your own fun) is selfish?!? I don't get it.

To me (and, yes, it's a matter of opinion), the "fun" is in finding the cache at any time, not just the FTF. To you, the fun may be in racing others to the FTF, but to me, that's the selfish behavior.

- Mark

If the fun for you is "finding the cache at any time" then why do you even care about the FTFs? Let those who have fun racing for FTFs have their fun too. If you want to join in on the FTF fun, go ahead, but don't ask the others to change the way they have fun.

If I'm playing a serious game of pickup basketball, the last thing I want is my mom telling me to let my kid brother play, and to let him win. I'll shoot hoops with my kid brother another time.

***If, by your questions, you are implying that I am trying to protect the status quo because a change in this regard would represent a threat to the way I geocache, you are way off base.***

I've been off base more than once. I was just gathering thoughts.

I am not a FTF hound...I have only 2 and that was probably just by accident that no one showed up before me. One of them (90 degree) was there for a week before I got around to doing it.

If the fun for you is "finding the cache at any time" then why do you even care about the FTFs?

I absolutely don't care about FTFs, which is why I've made no attempt whatsoever to grab one; however, that's not going to stop me from answering the OP's question.

Let those who have fun racing for FTFs have their fun too. If you want to join in on the FTF fun, go ahead, but don't ask the others to change the way they have fun.

I've done no such thing. All I did was express my opinion about FTF-hogging, which was exactly what the OP asked us all to do.

- Mark

That seems a little selfish to me. Why should someone who has a lot of fun racing for FTFs be expected to stop and wait for other cachers who don't care enough to even race for them?

The 'fun' is the race itself.

WTF? Letting others in on the fun (and thus, by definition, sacrificing your own fun) is selfish?!? I don't get it.

To me (and, yes, it's a matter of opinion), the "fun" is in finding the cache at any time, not just the FTF. To you, the fun may be in racing others to the FTF, but to me, that's the selfish behavior.

- Mark

Everybody can be in on the fun if they are motivated enough. If you want a FTF sign up for instant notification and be willing to drop what you are doing at a moments notice to head out after the cache. If you aren't willing to do that then sorry, you aren't likely to get a FTF. This isn't a kindergarten where every kid wins so we don't bruise their self esteem.

***Everybody can be in on the fun if they are motivated enough. If you want a FTF sign up for instant notification and be willing to drop what you are doing at a moments notice to head out after the cache. If you aren't willing to do that then sorry, you aren't likely to get a FTF. This isn't a kindergarten where every kid wins so we don't bruise their self esteem.***

It is not if they are motivated or willing to drop what you are doing...it is a matter of people having to work and they just can't drop everything. So, if caches are published during the day "Most" can't go head to head with a person who stays at home.

(I know people work at night too....so I'm saying "Most")

It is not if they are motivated or willing to drop what you are doing...it is a matter of people having to work and they just can't drop everything. So, if caches are published during the day "Most" can't go head to head with a person who stays at home.

I know people who will leave for work an hour early to get a FTF on the way, or head out on their lunch hour so they can bag a FTF. Does everybody have an equal shot at every FTF? Of course not, but if you are motivated enough you will get your share. Many of these successful FTF hounds are not retired, or stay at home moms and dads. They work too.

Sometimes I wish that the people in our area would let some of the newcomers have a chance

I've highlighted the part of your post that I have a problem with. Letting someone do something takes away from the entire purpose of getting it. How would you have felt about your FTF if when you arrived at the cache, three other people were there and they said, "We haven't opened the box yet, because we wanted you to be the first one to open it"..

Kind of takes away the fun doesn't it?

Depends on what you see as "fun." Personally, though I don't have any FTFs yet (I'm new), I'm sure that I would feel awfully self-conscious (i.e. guilty) about hogging the FTFs in our area. I say spread, not hog, the fun. Your mileage may - and clearly does - vary.

- Mark

Why don't you go out and try getting one before putting down those of us that do. You might actually find it to be exciting and fun.

***I know people who will leave for work an hour early to get a FTF on the way, or head out on their lunch hour so they can bag a FTF.***

I have done the same just to get a new cache bagged...but the way the geocachers are here...waiting for that lunch hour or leaving work 1 hour early makes it too late.

No arguments from me...as stated previously, I don't rush out for a FTF. If no one shows up by the time I get there...then I'm a FTF (Happened twice) otherwise...I'm doing my thing...Geocaching.

I know people who will leave for work an hour early to get a FTF on the way, or head out on their lunch hour so they can bag a FTF. Does everybody have an equal shot at every FTF? Of course not, but if you are motivated enough you will get your share. Many of these successful FTF hounds are not retired, or stay at home moms and dads. They work too.

I agree. Although I no longer go for too many FTFs, I used to. I was one of those people who could not easily leave work, but would go at lunch. I also went after work, on weekends, I'd get up early to be at the location at sunrise, and occasionally I would go out after midnight. I got my fair share. I never begrudged those who could leave work at a moments notice.

Why don't you go out and try getting one before putting down those of us that do. You might actually find it to be exciting and fun.

Geezus...show me where I put anybody down. All I said was that I'd feel self-conscious about grabbing so many FTFs rather than saving them for others. Are you really insulted by the fact that a complete stranger doesn't share your zeal for FTFs? Cmon.

But...to answer your question : I have no desire at all to drop everything at a moment's notice just race to a spot so I can be the first to find a container in the middle of a forest (or whatever). If others choose to do that, then that's fine, but that's not where I am in my life, and I don't share their enthusiasm. Different strokes for different folks, that's all.

The OP asked forum members for their opinion, and I provided mine. If you have a problem with the fact that I provided a solicited opinion, then that's your problem, not mine.

- Mark

Geezus...show me where I put anybody down

I think you called them selfish.

Eek...somebody got called selfish. Be still my heart.

Yeah, I suppose I said that. Take a look though, and you'll see that I only said that once somebody else (Cedar Grove Seekers) ridiculously called me selfish for letting others have the FTFs. How on earth somebody can be seen as selfish for selflessly giving an opportunity to someone else is a little beyond my comprehension. On the other hand, going through all that one has to go through in order to consistently and intentionally hog FTFs in one's area....well, to me that's still selfish behavior, since your sole focus in doing so is to ensure that you, and only you, get the FTF. Hell, people race out in the middle of the frickin' night in order get FTFs. I've even seen several examples (not in this thread, but elsewhere) of intentionally misleading others in order to throw them off the trail of that first find. If that's not selfish, I guess I don't know what is. It's one thing to be competitive, but when you start deceiving others in order to make sure that you win, then (in my opinion) you're being selfish.

- Mark

Yeah, I suppose I said that. Take a look though, and you'll see that I only said that once somebody else (Cedar Grove Seekers) ridiculously called me selfish for letting others have the FTFs. How on earth somebody can be seen as selfish for selflessly giving an opportunity to someone else is a little beyond my comprehension.

You wrote "I say spread, not hog, the fun" as a response to ReadyOrNot's suggestion that we not 'let' newcomers get the FTFs. I took this to mean you were suggesting that we should let the newcomers get the FTFs. I then said that 'expecting' people to 'let' others get the FTFs seems selfish to me because you are infringing on someone's fun. If you yourself want to let others get the FTFs then I agree that's selfless, but I didn't think you were referring to yourself considering you acknowledged that you don't have any FTFs.

It does get a little annoying, when someone else gets the FTF on a lot of local caches, (well, some of us have (a) work, (:ph34r: a life,), but my last few FTF's have been caches placed by the guy who finds the most local caches 1st.

I'm actually glad a few people like gelfing6 have checked in here. Generally, when "hogging FTF" threads come up, it's pretty unanimous in this forum with "go for it" type responses. But the fact is, there are boatloads of people who get frustrated and downright hostile over the same couple of people running out and grabbing 90% or more of the FTF's in an area. There was even a cache in my area where the FTF hounds were told to stay away until someone who never had an FTF claimed the FTF.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't agree with any of this stuff, but I'm just sayin'. :P

Why is any aspect of geocaching competitive, anyways? :(

Yeah, I suppose I said that. Take a look though, and you'll see that I only said that once somebody else (Cedar Grove Seekers) ridiculously called me selfish for letting others have the FTFs. How on earth somebody can be seen as selfish for selflessly giving an opportunity to someone else is a little beyond my comprehension.

You wrote "I say spread, not hog, the fun" as a response to ReadyOrNot's suggestion that we not 'let' newcomers get the FTFs. I took this to mean you were suggesting that we should let the newcomers get the FTFs. I then said that 'expecting' people to 'let' others get the FTFs seems selfish to me because you are infringing on someone's fun. If you yourself want to let others get the FTFs then I agree that's selfless, but I didn't think you were referring to yourself considering you acknowledged that you don't have any FTFs.

Fair enough. That's just a misunderstanding then. I absolutely don't care about getting personal FTFs, and thus I don't expect anybody to save them for me. I'm also perfectly content to let everyone around me go get `em.

On the other hand, if I took a polar opposite approach to that and aggressively pursued getting all the FTFs that I could - to the point of actually being competitive about it - then I know that I would eventually (1) get tired of it, and (2) get really self-conscious about hogging fun that others could be having. Do I expect everyone to have that level of self-consciousness? No, but to me it's a more palatable approach to this activity than trying to be the community FTF hog.

What's next for geocaching? Full-contact FTF grabbing? It wouldn't surprise me at all if somewhere there has actually been a fight between two people trying to grab the same FTF. It'll happen, if it hasn't already.

Cheers,

Mark

Fair enough. That's just a misunderstanding then. I absolutely don't care about getting personal FTFs, and thus I don't expect anybody to save them for me. I'm also perfectly content to let everyone around me go get `em.

On the other hand, if I took a polar opposite approach to that and aggressively pursued getting all the FTFs that I could - to the point of actually being competitive about it - then I know that I would eventually (1) get tired of it, and (2) get really self-conscious about hogging fun that others could be having. Do I expect everyone to have that level of self-consciousness? No, but to me it's a more palatable approach to this activity than trying to be the community FTF hog.

What's next for geocaching? Full-contact FTF grabbing? It wouldn't surprise me at all if somewhere there has actually been a fight between two people trying to grab the same FTF. It'll happen, if it hasn't already.

Cheers,

Mark

There's a big difference between being 'competitive' and being 'combative'. Of all the gecachers that I have met over the last five years, both in the field and at events, I can't imagine any of them behaving the way you are suggesting, even the ones who are self-described FTF hounds. And from a few of my own experiences being near unfound caches when multiple people were hunting, and from the many logs I've read of situations where multiple parties showed up at the same time at a yet-to-be-found cache, it's all been pleasant and friendly.

There's a big difference between being 'competitive' and being 'combative'. Of all the gecachers that I have met over the last five years, both in the field and at events, I can't imagine any of them behaving the way you are suggesting, even the ones who are self-described FTF hounds. And from a few of my own experiences being near unfound caches when multiple people were hunting, and from the many logs I've read of situations where multiple parties showed up at the same time at a yet-to-be-found cache, it's all been pleasant and friendly.

Oh, I know. All I'm saying is that, with as big as geocaching is getting, eventually the wrong two hyper-competitive knuckleheads will collide over a FTF. I'm sure you're right with your statement of the status quo, though. Yes, it's a friendly enough activity now, but I've also seen table tennis players fight over a disagreement about a point, rock climbers fight over who got the first free ascent of a climbing route, and even two yoga classmates fight over one's belief that the other was too loud in class. If people can fight over yoga, I have no trouble at all believing that there will eventually be a fight over an unfound cache.

- Mark

I agree with your (1) - after about 55 FTFs I got tired of it.

As for your (2) - I got my fair share of FTFs but there were many others involved in the races who got FTFs too. If it wasn't me then it was one of them. I don't think any of us felt self-conscious. I just always assumed that those who wanted to race for FTFs were doing so. If there were some people sitting at home begrudging those of us who were getting the FTFs, then I'd want to ask them "what were you doing at home?"

My favourite part of racing for FTFs was meeting the other cachers at the site, which happens a lot more on FTF races than with regular caching. I would say this is a very palatable approach to this activity.

There was a cacher in my area that enjoyed betting with her husband who would be the FTF on her new cahes. She would cheat though by sending me emails to warn me to watch for publication of her new caches. She doesn't bet on me any more as a couple of other cachers in the area have become avid FTF hunters.

There was a cacher in my area that enjoyed betting with her husband who would be the FTF on her new cahes. She would cheat though by sending me emails to warn me to watch for publication of her new caches. She doesn't bet on me any more as a couple of other cachers in the area have become avid FTF hunters.

So you would go for FTF because the owner tipped you off.

Here's my take on this topic:

1) For me FTFs (I have 34 I think) are fun BECAUSE they are so competitive in our area. Basically, if I thought the regular FTF hounds were sitting back and waiting for other people to get the FTF it would take away a lot of the enjoyment. Where's the joy in "winning" if the other person lets you win?

2) Everyone can get a FTF if they want to work at it. There are so many factors involved (work schedules, cell phone notifications, geographical proximity, etc) that eventually the stars will line up and present you with a FTF.

My "hogging" the FTFs story: A cacher hid five new caches near me. I went out and snagged four of them before getting too cold (rushing out the door for the FTF meant I didn't check the forecast and dress properly) and heading home. I'll admit that by the third cache I was feeling a little guilty over gathering the FTF prizes (gift certificates and geocoins) but I kept going -- I had no idea if someone else had started on the hiking trail going the opposite direction and had already gotten the FTF on the fourth cache, or whatever. On the way home I realized I wasn't being selfish, I happened to catch a lucky break because I lived a good 30 minutes closer to the hiking trail than the FTF hounds in the city. Likely that break won't be there for me next time and someone else will get it.

It's not so much as it is competitive, but when someone in the area goes out of their way, to literally drop everything just to be a FTF of a new cache, makes me wonder, if the person really has anything else in their life. (i.e. work, family, responsibility, etc.) I'm proud to say I have at least 3 FTF's under my belt, but I'm not snarky or obnoxious about it.. (Okay, asking who went looking, and missed one completely, may've been a little callous., But when they wrote their log entry, I wrote them back, and left them all kinds of clues to look for (like, "Keep Looking UP!" it was hanging right above their tracks in the snow, in a tree (not giving too much on this, I hope.) ) )

I only get to check the new cache lists once a day, and it's usually right after getting out of work, and yes, I am still an unregistered. (reason: no creditcard, No paypal..) So, if one cache is close by, and no-one has already logged the find, I'll take a crack at it, but if it's too far away, I'll skip it till a free weekend search.

Micros and nanos are the toughies.... Puzzles are the worse, though I've helped others solve them with my knowledge.

(there's one, the person put together a small Electronics project, the coordinates were arranged as a series of component values.)

Give me a simple, easy cache to find.. I'm not as young as I used to be.

Thank you! I was trying to think of a non-angsty way of stating that a full time job, family obligations, and other hobbies and social activities (a life?) has not precluded me from claiming my share of FTFs.

I would also like to add that the fun of FTF is short lived, but the fun of the RACE makes for some lasting memories and friendships.

Does that make you feel good that you got FTFs because of a tip off? I'm happy to say I EARNED all of mine. :)

I only have a couple of FTF's and that's just because they were both close to my house and I was on the website close to the time they were posted. I'm just a weekend cacher, so FTF's aren't really a big deal for me, I figure the cache will still be there when I get around to it. It's the find I like.

But for the OP. I did find a new cache right after you were the FTF on it, and I don't harbor any ill will your way, nor will I if you are the FTF on every cache I ever find. If you enjoy FTF's go for it, anyone who doesn't like it, is free to try to beat you.

Does that make you feel good that you got FTFs because of a tip off? I'm happy to say I EARNED all of mine. :)

Knowing a cache is going to be published "soon" isn't a whole heck of a lot different that not knowing. I knew, but only because somebody let slip a new installment in a mini-series was in the works. But I didn't know where, when, what, or any of that. I was just "warned" to make sure I brought my camera to his next one. When it popped up, it was still a surprise; still got FTF on it, despite a series of minor calamities that occurred before I left the house.

Now, if I tell you, "I'm putting a cache at ab.cd.efg 0zy.xw.vut, and I'm having it published on Tuesday morning," that's a WHOLE different ballgame, and I probably wouldn't play.

I love the rush of flying off to go after the FTF. If a cache comes up while I'm at work, I'll still go after it, but it won't bother me if I don't get the FTF - to me, it's all about getting outside and looking for it.

Unless you get a personal note from the cache owner politely asking you NOT to be the FTF, go ahead.

Ob boy.. That comment could be a thread of its own... I'll not go there today :drama:

That would give me just the push I need to specifically be FTF on their caches. Not to spite, but to say that I can still find your caches.

The Steaks

Does that make you feel good that you got FTFs because of a tip off? I'm happy to say I EARNED all of mine. :drama:

The answer is obviously, yes. You must remember, this stuff is so important to some people that in order to understand their motivations, you must first take any sense of 'fair play' and flush it.

There is a guy up here that has 55 FTF's.

I think there has to be some way to publish caches that are fair game to most...that way the people that work have an even chance against the people that stay at home all day waiting for the emal notifications.

There has to be someway to make it an even field for all people / all working shifts.

Most new caches around this area are published between 7PM and 7AM when most cachers are not at work.

I disagree to a small extent when people say "What's the point if everyone lets you be first". That's true if the joy is only in the fact that you beat everyone else. But I think there's also an aspect of pleasure just in being the first to open the cache. I know it's a very fine point, and for the most part, you can't have one without the other. But it's like being the first to dip into a jar of peanut butter -- whether you get to the pantry first or I hand it to you and say, "Go ahead, you first", being the first is going to feel good.

I don't have any problem at all with ftf hounds. If you get sick of them, you just need to step up your game and beat them to it. Or do like I do and just find caches whenever you want to with no regard to ftf, but hey some people enjoy the competition. My only two ftf's have been published in the morning and near where I work, making for a quick lunchtime excursion.

Man...I was reading this stupid post and I checked for caches. BINGO! A new one is listed! I don't get email notification because I'm a cheap *******. I jump in my traveling bugmobile and race off for the FTF! Unfortunately the durned truck started sputtering... :unsure: WTH? uh..uh...oh crap! Outta gas! I found the nearest station, sputtered in and filled the tank. I'm pretty sure I left black marks leaving the place.

I found the cache no problem! WAIT... :lol: PROBLEM. Someone found the cache while I was filling up! Grrrr.... HA. He left his FTF prize and certificate. :lol:

What's a moral cacher to do? Did he let me have his prize? I sent him an email explaining his mistake and said I'd happily snail mail his prize to him. Just waiting a response now.

Moral of the story? I'm pretty darned sure I saw that guy pass me on the road while my truck was sputtering. I hollered, "Wait! I need gas!" I held my GPS out my window and shook it vigorously (I hear that helps reception) Did he help me? NOOOO....obviously it's every cacher for themselves! Next time, I'll beat him to it. ;)

Edited by cowcreekgeeks

Man...I was reading this stupid post and I checked for caches. BINGO! A new one is listed! I don't get email notification because I'm a cheap *******. I jump in my traveling bugmobile and race off for the FTF! Unfortunately the durned truck started sputtering... :unsure: WTH? uh..uh...oh crap! Outta gas! I found the nearest station, sputtered in and filled the tank. I'm pretty sure I left black marks leaving the place.

I found the cache no problem! WAIT... :lol: PROBLEM. Someone found the cache while I was filling up! Grrrr.... HA. He left his FTF prize and certificate. :lol:

What's a moral cacher to do? Did he let me have his prize? I sent him an email explaining his mistake and said I'd happily snail mail his prize to him. Just waiting a response now.

Moral of the story? I'm pretty darned sure I saw that guy pass me on the road while my truck was sputtering. I hollered, "Wait! I need gas!" I held my GPS out my window and shook it vigorously (I hear that helps reception) Did he help me? NOOOO....obviously it's every cacher for themselves! Next time, I'll beat him to it. ;)

Well, you know those FTF hounds, I'm sure he'll insist that you send his prize, because their hearts don't pump blood like yours and mine, but black, oozing tar from the pits of hell.

Edited by ReadyOrNot

I am new at this and want to know how you get notifications when new caches are posted in your area?

Batman :unsure:

:blink:

For instant notifications you need to be a premium member. If you want the weekly e-mail of new caches, that's free but you need to sign up for it. To do that edit your profile and check the box next to "Send me a weekly emailer of new caches in my area."

FTF hounds frustrate people in areas where there is only one or two of them. Seeing the same names time and again gets boring / annoying.

This gets amplified when the second or third log reads "left this till the weekend as we knew xxxx would be FTF"

Ways to combat this as a cache setter are asking for a weekend release to avoid the guy with no life outside of instant notification on his mobile.

Look to see when they go caching out of the area or go on holiday and release them then, the idea is to make the FTF race open to as many people as possible and not deny your hound his chance to grab them.

Its like a race with one runner you need to get a few more competitors into the FTF game rather than trying to hobble the curent fastest runner.

Ok, I admit it: I am a FTF hound.

I have 44 FTF's out of 321 cache finds. I know others have more than me, but I feel that ratio qualifies me.

In my area, new cache submissions are few and far between. Having more than one or two caches listed within 50 miles of me within a month is an odd happening. So, I guess part of my motivation for FTF is seeking a brand new cache and being the first to see how well it was hidden and to see what it's made of.

The second reason is the thrill of beating the next guy. In my town I pretty much dominate the cache scene in hides (10 total caches, 8 are mine.) so almost all of my FTF's are out of town. There's something invigorating about beating the next guy to a cache, especially if he lives in the very town the cache was placed and I have driven 25 miles or more (in one case 40-45) to get it. Skunking someone on their home turf can be very fun. <_<

So yes...I am a FTF hound and I enjoy every minute of it. Am I FTF around here more often than not? Yes. Do others have a chance to beat me? Absolutely.

I feel no remorse at all. :lol:

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

Fair is fair and all that but it is annoying to see the same 2 or 3 people constantly getting FTFs. I'm not saying let others get the FTF's but jeez sleep in once or twice. I don't have any yet the closest ive been is watching the FTF sign the log as I pull up.

All the instant notifications, maps on cellphones and PDAs takes away from caching. Whats the point if you get turn by turn direction to every cache. I have a hard time seeing how that's any fun.