Are we allowing the degradation of this forum?

mvigor

There is is a bigger problem that is degrading this forum more than threads that get nearly 1600 replies. It is the practice of many people who have opinions on topics and never share their opinion in the forums. These selfish individuals deny the thread poster and others the ability to enjoy knowing that someone has another opinion on the topic or whether they agree with what someone has already posted. A person may choose to believe that a topic isn't very important because only a few people are posting to it. A simple I agree with Mushtang or I agree with ReadyOrNot post would've have avoided this problem. Or imagine the person who has been swayed by one side or the other's arguments. How will they feel when they go to an event and find that all their friends believe something else. That could turn ugly. People who don't post their opinion this are like people who won't tell you what their golf handicap is. How can you tell if that person is a good golfer if they won't tell the score. Do you think the golf club will allow them to play in a tournament? I for one will do my part as a forum reader and insist that anyone who tells me at an event that they agree with something I wrote in the forum buy me a beer if they didn't post that online. That will show them the value of putting your opinion out there. :ph34r:

You couldn't degrade anything if you tried and you know it.

I am very degrading and I don't appreciate you suggesting otherwise.

Look, just by your very presence you lighten up a thread. You bring wit, insight, a fresh viewpoint, and usually offer a couple of things that I never would have thought of otherwise. I know name calling and getting personal is against forum guidelines but you really deserved that.

You couldn't degrade your way out of a paper bag. Stop embarrassing yourself with the fake modesty.

Look, just by your very presence you lighten up a thread. You bring wit, insight, a fresh viewpoint, and usually offer a couple of things that I never would have thought of otherwise.

Where are the moderators of this forum? Are you going to allow abuses like this to continue? Posts like this judge prove how badly degraded this forum has become.

This is just too much. I'm going to bed :ph34r::P:(

Really, I think if anything is going to degrade the forums, it is threads with a similar title to another thread that was started solely to complain about the other thread.

You might have a point, but that's a different discussion. Rather than pulling this thread off topic, you might want to start a new thread to discuss the issue of whether or not threads with a similar title to other threads that are started solely to complain about another thread are degrading to the forums or to the threads that are the target of the complaining threads.

Really, I think if anything is going to degrade the forums, it is threads with a similar title to another thread that was started solely to complain about the other thread.
You might have a point, but that's a different discussion. Rather than pulling this thread off topic, you might want to start a new thread to discuss the issue of whether or not threads with a similar title to other threads that are started solely to complain about another thread are degrading to the forums or to the threads that are the target of the complaining threads.
The title field isn't big enough...

:ph34r:

Doesn't this just prove that the false logging of caches causes geocachers to experience great and real harm, thus causing them to complain about it in the forums, which in turn causes other threads to be spawned that complain about geocaching members complaining about the forum threads that complain about the original thread that complained about false logging, which then causes other forums in other parts of the world to degrade, thus causing increased computing power, which increases the carbon footprint of the forum servers, thus contributing to global warming.

False logging is destroying the world folks.

Doesn't this just prove that the false logging of caches causes geocachers to experience great and real harm, thus causing them to complain about it in the forums, which in turn causes other threads to be spawned that complain about geocaching members complaining about the forum threads that complain about the original thread that complained about false logging, which then causes other forums in other parts of the world to degrade, thus causing increased computing power, which increases the carbon footprint of the forum servers, thus contributing to global warming.

I disagree.

False logging causes some geocachers to think that they are being harmed or to think that geocaching is being degraded in some meaningful way, thus causing them to open related discussions in the forums. This, in turn, causes other geocachers who do not feel that false logs cause actual harm or degredation to geocaching to respond by posting contrary positions. If such threads become significant in length, geocachers may start new threads arguing that such lengthy discussions are degrading the forums. The end result is that with so many people sitting inside participating in various false-logs-cause-or-don't-cause-degeredation discussions, fewer people are driving around burning fossil fuels, thereby reducing carbon emissions, resulting in a reduction in global warming.

False logging is saving the world folks.

Just watch - somebody will come along now and demonstrate that false logs are neither destroying nor saving the world.
I would, but it would be off topic.

This thread isn't about false logs, but about threads about false logs.

Actually, come to think of it, isn't that what KBI has spent the better part of the thread in question trying to do?

:ph34r:

I disagree.

False logging causes some geocachers to think that they are being harmed or to think that geocaching is being degraded in some meaningful way, thus causing them to open related discussions in the forums. This, in turn, causes other geocachers who do not feel that false logs cause actual harm or degredation to geocaching to respond by posting contrary positions. If such threads become significant in length, geocachers may start new threads arguing that such lengthy discussions are degrading the forums. The end result is that with so many people sitting inside participating in various false-logs-cause-or-don't-cause-degeredation discussions, fewer people are driving around burning fossil fuels, thereby reducing carbon emissions, resulting in a reduction in global warming.

False logging is saving the world folks.

False logging causes some people to feel that the sport (I'll use this discriptor, you can substitute your own) of caching to be degraded (i.e.. harmed). This cause them to complain verbosely & repetitiously about such harm in the forums dedicated to the sport. Other people reading said forum have a different opinion (or just can't bring themselves to agree with a certain other person) and vents their position verbosely & repetitiously. This back and forth banter (arguements) cause other people to view the forums containing such verbal diarrhea in a negative way, and they start threads in other caching forums (i.e.. local forums) complaining about these forums. Other people, not really related to caching (maybe, say, letterboxers) hear/read this and have a time dissing cachers and their foibles in their own forums.

This can continue on and on, in more and more remote forums, causing a drop in the reputation of geocaching worldwide. So, false logging, or the complaining of such, has cause the degrading not only of forums world wide, but has, in fact, hurt geocaching by lowering the opinion of the sport and it's more vocal participants.

A study would have to be done to see if the temperture rise in the participants of such discussions (i.e.. "hot under the collar") has in fact had an impact on global warming...

I saw today on CNN where Obama very recently came out solidly against online bogus cache logs. Hillary then spoke even more strongly against them, while accusing Obama of involvement in a rather questionable "team find" cache log from a few years ago.

John McCain could not be reached for comment, but was seen suddenly darting into the woods with a Magellan and a pencil …

So....the person with the troll remarks and annoying avatar hasn't posted...or did it just happen? It's me, isn't it? The bull with udders? :blink:

It's not you - by rule, all posts by people using bovine-themed avatars are highly regarded, and very much appreciated.

Dang straight.

But ONLY while using a bovine-themed avatar - any avatar change will change the regard/appreciation level also.

So....the person with the troll remarks and annoying avatar hasn't posted...or did it just happen? It's me, isn't it? The bull with udders? :blink:

It's not you - by rule, all posts by people using bovine-themed avatars are highly regarded, and very much appreciated.

Dang straight.

But ONLY while using a bovine-themed avatar - any avatar change will change the regard/appreciation level also.

True, hence the Blue.

Dang straight.

Does this count?

fea4d019-881b-4c46-b66d-0115f70cbdda.jpg

(edited to note that I just remembered that I also have a bovine-themed sig line)

Edited by the hermit crabs

What a load of bull.

Or is it, as someone else has said, better that they have a place to play all day so they'll leave all our other threads alone? :mad:

You have hit it on the head! There exists a handful of otherwise-fine-and-lovable-and-fun geocachers on this forum who love to argue, to nit-pick, to engage in lengthy and repetitious and never-ending (and insane...) arguments over how many angels will fit on the head of a pin, and over the flaws in the arguments posted by the previous poster. Far better that the one thread that you have referenced act as a fly-trap, rather than having them (and the guy with the weird and irritating icon who hasta/musta send a troll post to every thread) infest the rest of the forum threads! :mad:

Inquiring minds want to know? Who has the irritating icon? In the other thread, that's like saying, the user with the keyboard.

The demand by numerous forum participants for me to disclose the identity of the forum poster to whom I was referring has grown so great in volume that I have decided to offer the identification of the cacher as an auction item on Ebay. Bidding will start at $49.99. Thank you for doing the needful and for bidding generously today! :D

Q: Hi, Does the Helio-Lux emanator device include the radium source or is it sold without the radium source? Thanks! --Vinny Feb-13-08

A: The source is included but radioactivity is low. Gamma radiation on the surface is 0.24 milli-Roentgen per hour.

:blink:

All that I am allowed to say at this time is that the stated radioactivity level of the radioactive source material was two orders of magnitude (i.e., 100X) too low for my nutritional needs.

You can't tell me, BD, that somewhere in your repertoire of avitars you don't have Babe the Big Blue Ox!

pffft, why would I choose those? blah

(Off stage: Okay people, who missed the Babe icons?! What?...Babe....the Ox. Okay everyone down to the library and don't come back without an education. What am I paying you people for?! :blink: )

In beef or the lock.

We gonna milk this one all night?

Just until some cattle-tale reports this to the mooderator.

I don't know why they would... it's one of the few non angus-filled threads here.

You're right. Maybe this one cud go on for heifer.

Perhaps a mod does needs to steer this back on track.

In beef or the lock.

I don't know why they would... it's one of the few non angus-filled threads here.

Despite your de-sire, I don't see cow that is possi-bull.

back on topic...

I think a little debate is fine. A little topic drift is also fine, maybe even more so when it's fun but I do think there is a difference between attempting a resolution and getting someone to completely understand a position and then also getting them to agree with it.

It seems that the mods are limiting the practice. It helps when the discussion is self-contained. So no, I don't think we are allowing forum degradation.

Edited by BlueDeuce
In beef or the lock.
Udderly ridiculous! Ewe three (yes, I branched out into other farm animals there, sorry) yoke-rs should be put out to pasture! Edited by Too Tall John
In beef or the lock.
Udderly ridiculous! Ewe three (yes, I branched out into other farm animals there, sorry) yoke-rs should be put out to pasture!

Hay, leather or not we cud hoof stayed on topic is hard to tail. What is at steak is rare. We've all herd fighting in other threads. All of us, barn none. Somecow we don't seem to have any beef with each other here.

In beef or the lock.
Udderly ridiculous! Ewe three (yes, I branched out into other farm animals there, sorry) yoke-rs should be put out to pasture!

Hay, leather or not we cud hoof stayed on topic is hard to tail. What is at steak is rare. We've all herd fighting in other threads. All of us, barn none. Somecow we don't seem to have any beef with each other here.

Isn't it pasture bed time?

In beef or the lock.

Isn't it pasture bed time?

I herd it on the bovine that much more of the kind of bull will get this thread slaughtered!

I herd it on the bovine that much more of the kind of bull will get this thread slaughtered!
You can believe what you've herd calf of the time. Beef-ore this or the udder thread bites the bull-et, can't we see if we can all "Get Along Little Doggie"?

Edit: Whoa! The forums didn't like that many quotes...

Edited by Too Tall John

You can believe what you've herd calf of the time. Beef-ore this or the udder thread bites the bull-et, can't we see if we can all "Get Along Little Doggie"?

I thought I might be brave enough to post one more pun of my own, but I'm too intimidated.

While I know I cud add one more to the, um, pile, I guess I'm afraid that yet another copy cattle be laughed at, not with.

I'm a cow ward.

Didja hear the one about the cow that ate uranium?

She got atomic ache.

She later went on to create the first atomic pile.

Cheese, this one is well done. Surely the mods don't dairy let this continue. Veal keep on if it stays open.

Cheese, this one is well done. Surely the mods don't dairy let this continue. Veal keep on if it stays open.

Beautiful! :)

Methane-ks thou hast created a big, warm, steaming pile of profound eloquence there.

<KBI wipes away a tear>

You mooved me, man.

Or is it, as someone else has said, better that they have a place to play all day so they'll leave all our other threads alone? :D

You have hit it on the head! There exists a handful of otherwise-fine-and-lovable-and-fun geocachers on this forum who love to argue, to nit-pick, to engage in lengthy and repetitious and never-ending (and insane...) arguments over how many angels will fit on the head of a pin, and over the flaws in the arguments posted by the previous poster. Far better that the one thread that you have referenced act as a fly-trap, rather than having them (and the guy with the weird and irritating icon who hasta/musta send a troll post to every thread) infest the rest of the forum threads! :)

I'm not going to read any further as this sums up my feelings exactly. If you take the handful of regular posters that love to argue far more than they like to geocache out of this forum, there is a TON of good stuff to be found here. You've just got to do a little too much sifting for my liking.

If you take the handful of regular posters that love to argue far more than they like to geocache out of this forum, there is a TON of good stuff to be found here. You've just got to do a little too much sifting for my liking.
The objection I'm going to make with this post is this: I doubt any of the posters here like posting more than geocaching. I believe much of the passion that has been expressed here illustrates this fact.

But why, then, are they posting, and not caching? Many people have work situations (or in some situations, life situations) that don't allow a lot of time where they can go out caching, but where they can be at the computer.

I'd go caching with any of the major posters in either of these threads, and I know we'd have a good time, because we all love caching.

(Yes, that's an invitation.)

Oh. I nearly forgot:

It would be-hoove us to take the bull by the horns and keep the puns fenced in!

Hello,

My name is HopsMaltYeast and I have not logged a faked find in 2 months and 8 days.

Hi, my name is Vinny, and I have not logged a find on a cache where I really did not touch and handle the container and sign the logbook in over 33 minutes and I have not logged 400 or more "attended/find" smilies for an event for almost one week. And, I have not logged a fake remote find on virtual or Earthcache in Germany, Austria or Sweden in over 17 minutes. Lastly, I have not logged a fake find on an extreme Terrain 5 cache within the Zone of Alienation at Chernobyl (aka The Chernobyl Zone, The 30 Kilometer Zone, The Zone of Exclusion, The Fourth Zone, or The Zone) in the Ukraine in over 3 weeks. And, I have not submitted an outrageously insane, insanely deceptive and blatantly illegal "this cache listing is sure to be rejected but I am looking for a fight so I am gonna submit it anyway" listing for a proposed 5/5 Psycho cache to Quiggle, Keystone or Palmetto in over 15 days.

Or is it, as someone else has said, better that they have a place to play all day so they'll leave all our other threads alone? :D

You have hit it on the head! There exists a handful of otherwise-fine-and-lovable-and-fun geocachers on this forum who love to argue, to nit-pick, to engage in lengthy and repetitious and never-ending (and insane...) arguments over how many angels will fit on the head of a pin, and over the flaws in the arguments posted by the previous poster. Far better that the one thread that you have referenced act as a fly-trap, rather than having them (and the guy with the weird and irritating icon who hasta/musta send a troll post to every thread) infest the rest of the forum threads! :)

I'm not going to read any further as this sums up my feelings exactly.

Too bad. You missed all of the cow puns. Edited by Trinity's Crew

But why, then, are they posting, and not caching? Many people have work situations (or in some situations, life situations) that don't allow a lot of time where they can go out caching, but where they can be at the computer.

I sit in front of a computer the majority part of my day. Its a nice escape to jump onto the forums and to be honest, there's only so many new-user questions that need to be answered. If you want your day to go by quickly, pick an argument - choose a side - and watch the time fly!

I agree, I don't think you'll find non-geocachers spending so much time in the forums. If I could be outside, instead of stuck to this computer, I would. Especially today, 62 and sunny.. Feels like spring is here!