Are we allowing the degradation of this forum?

mvigor

The forums are here to discuss geocaching. Some subjects might be fun, some informative and some controversial.

That a thread over a controversial issue can go 31 pages and have 1,600 posts without degenerating to the point where a mod has to step in and close it speaks well of those involved.

In 1600 posts, I haven't seen one flame or personal attack. I think it's actually a positive thing.

Neithrr have I. Once the discussion had completed its first circle, I stopped reading it.

I see no reason though why we should ask people to stop discussing a subject while it's still related to the original topic.

Or is it, as someone else has said, better that they have a place to play all day so they'll leave all our other threads alone? :)

You have hit it on the head! There exists a handful of otherwise-fine-and-lovable-and-fun geocachers on this forum who love to argue, to nit-pick, to engage in lengthy and repetitious and never-ending (and insane...) arguments over how many angels will fit on the head of a pin, and over the flaws in the arguments posted by the previous poster. Far better that the one thread that you have referenced act as a fly-trap, rather than having them (and the guy with the weird and irritating icon who hasta/musta send a troll post to every thread) infest the rest of the forum threads! :)

Or is it, as someone else has said, better that they have a place to play all day so they'll leave all our other threads alone? :)

You have hit it on the head! There exists a handful of otherwise-fine-and-lovable-and-fun geocachers on this forum who love to argue, to nit-pick, to engage in lengthy and repetitious and never-ending (and insane...) arguments over how many angels will fit on the head of a pin, and over the flaws in the arguments posted by the previous poster. Far better that the one thread that you have referenced act as a fly-trap, rather than having them (and the guy with the weird and irritating icon who hasta/musta send a troll post to every thread) infest the rest of the forum threads! :)

Why do you find my icon to be irritating?

Inquiring minds want to know? Who has the irritating icon? In the other thread, that's like saying, the user with the keyboard.

Inquiring minds want to know? Who has the irritating icon? In the other thread, that's like saying, the user with the keyboard.

Vinny is talking about me. He has sent me numerous e-mails asking me to change my "weird and irritating" avatar. He said it makes him physically ill when he sees it.

In 1600 posts, I haven't seen one flame or personal attack. I think it's actually a positive thing.

It's not even to 1600 posts yet.. Perhaps by the end of the day.. Please quit padding numbers :)

I'm posting for the numbers and never have anything worth saying let alone reading. My goal is to see how many typo's can be immortalized on the internet forever.

Vinny is talking about me. He has sent me numerous e-mails asking me to change my "weird and irritating" avatar. He said it makes him physically ill when he sees it.

Hmm... I thought my avatar was the most irritating.

It's not even to 1600 posts yet.. Perhaps by the end of the day.. Please quit padding numbers :)

Gah! That's what I get for trusting the integrity of someone with only 56 forum posts!

:):):):)

(many, for good measure)

Why do you find my icon to be irritating?

:):):):)

This thread has nearly 20 posts. I recommend it be closed before it gets out of hand.

We'll let this one continue until we get people making fake posts without actually visiting the forums*.

If I change my name is it ok to claim a post even though my old post won't have the new name, and if I do do I have to say what I said back when I said it or can I post something new to claim my old post even though it would have said something different?

This thread has nearly 20 posts. I recommend it be closed before it gets out of hand.

We'll let this one continue until we get people making fake posts without actually visiting the forums*.

(* or any number of other forum violations).

Claiming twenty posts today; did not have time to visit the forum myself today, but asked my friend to visit the forum for me. Thanks for the post count!

The demand by numerous forum participants for me to disclose the identity of the forum poster to whom I was referring has grown so great in volume that I have decided to offer the identification of the cacher as an auction item on Ebay. Bidding will start at $49.99. Thank you for doing the needful and for bidding generously today! :)

The demand by numerous forum participants for me to disclose the identity of the forum poster to whom I was referring has grown so great in volume that I have decided to offer the identification of the cacher as an auction item on Ebay. Bidding will start at $49.99. Thank you for doing the needful and for bidding generously today! :)

I like how the only question on the auction page is from you Vinny :) What exactly are you going to do with that?

If I change my name is it ok to claim a post even though my old post won't have the new name, and if I do do I have to say what I said back when I said it or can I post something new to claim my old post even though it would have said something different?

You said, "do do". :laughing::laughing:

Sorry, leftover habit from being a Boy Scout leader! :D

Or is it, as someone else has said, better that they have a place to play all day so they'll leave all our other threads alone? B)

You have hit it on the head! There exists a handful of otherwise-fine-and-lovable-and-fun geocachers on this forum who love to argue, to nit-pick, to engage in lengthy and repetitious and never-ending (and insane...) arguments over how many angels will fit on the head of a pin, and over the flaws in the arguments posted by the previous poster. Far better that the one thread that you have referenced act as a fly-trap, rather than having them (and the guy with the weird and irritating icon who hasta/musta send a troll post to every thread) infest the rest of the forum threads! :laughing:

The demand by numerous forum participants for me to disclose the identity of the forum poster to whom I was referring has grown so great in volume that I have decided to offer the identification of the cacher as an auction item on Ebay. Bidding will start at $49.99. Thank you for doing the needful and for bidding generously today! :D

Q: Hi, Does the Helio-Lux emanator device include the radium source or is it sold without the radium source? Thanks! --Vinny Feb-13-08

A: The source is included but radioactivity is low. Gamma radiation on the surface is 0.24 milli-Roentgen per hour.

:laughing:

Or is it, as someone else has said, better that they have a place to play all day so they'll leave all our other threads alone? :laughing:

You have hit it on the head! There exists a handful of otherwise-fine-and-lovable-and-fun geocachers on this forum who love to argue, to nit-pick, to engage in lengthy and repetitious and never-ending (and insane...) arguments over how many angels will fit on the head of a pin, and over the flaws in the arguments posted by the previous poster. Far better that the one thread that you have referenced act as a fly-trap, rather than having them (and the guy with the weird and irritating icon who hasta/musta send a troll post to every thread) infest the rest of the forum threads! :laughing:

Hmm... I thought my avatar was the most irritating.

I like Brainsnat's icon.

Or is it, as someone else has said, better that they have a place to play all day so they'll leave all our other threads alone? :laughing:

All I know is that since that mega-thread has been going, there has been much less activity in the rest of the forums. I unsubscribed to that mega-thread once everyone repeated themselves at least once or twice. There was no point after that.

It's not even to 1600 posts yet.. Perhaps by the end of the day.. Please quit padding numbers :D

Gah! That's what I get for trusting the integrity of someone with only 56 forum posts!

:laughing::D:laughing:B)

(many, for good measure)

57! :)

You have hit it on the head! There exists a handful of otherwise-fine-and-lovable-and-fun geocachers on this forum who love to argue, to nit-pick, to engage in lengthy and repetitious and never-ending (and insane...) arguments over how many angels will fit on the head of a pin, and over the flaws in the arguments posted by the previous poster. Far better that the one thread that you have referenced act as a fly-trap, rather than having them (and the guy with the weird and irritating icon who hasta/musta send a troll post to every thread) infest the rest of the forum threads! :D

I just assumed Vinny was referring to himself :laughing:

All I know is that since that mega-thread has been going, there has been much less activity in the rest of the forums. I unsubscribed to that mega-thread once everyone repeated themselves at least once or twice. There was no point after that.

So you only read the first page, huh?

I can't speak for everyone else, but personally, I didn't start repeating myself until page 7.

I can't speak for everyone else, but personally, I didn't start repeating myself until page 7.

Forum hickup/reposts can often be avoided.

Or is it, as someone else has said, better that they have a place to play all day so they'll leave all our other threads alone? :D

Yes, it took a couple of pages for everyone to repeat themselves. :laughing:

Of course, by that time, a couple of people had repeated themselves twice. :laughing:

Long threads degrade the forums about as much as fake logs degrade the game of geocaching.

Quite a bit then?

According to your logic, there would have to be some major event that causes all forums across the entire world to degrade in order for you to consider the forums to be degraded. I'm sure quite a few people got annoyed at the conversation going on. I'm sure some new people didn't get questions answered at all or in the normal timely fashion that we are used to here because of that thread. I'm sure some people were inconvenienced or bothered by the thread constantly being at the top of the list. All these things are a degradation.

Forums, in a general sense are still running as they always have been, so therefore there's no degradation. Bull Hooey!

I degraded this forum! Don't tell me I didn't!

Edited by ReadyOrNot

Long threads degrade the forums about as much as fake logs degrade the game of geocaching.

Quite a bit then?

According to your logic, there would have to be some major event that causes all forums across the entire world to degrade in order for you to consider the forums to be degraded. I'm sure quite a few people got annoyed at the conversation going on. I'm sure some new people didn't get questions answered at all or in the normal timely fashion that we are used to here because of that thread. I'm sure some people were inconvenienced or bothered by the thread constantly being at the top of the list. All these things are a degradation.

Forums, in a general sense are still running as they always have been, so therefore there's no degradation. Bull Hooey!

I feel so dirty!

BTW... I'm having a friend in Germany post this forum response as I don't have time to visit the forums myself. :D

It's not even to 1600 posts yet.. Perhaps by the end of the day.. Please quit padding numbers :D

I'm posting for the numbers and never have anything worth saying let alone reading. My goal is to see how many typo's can be immortalized on the internet forever.

I prefer to go for maximum number of words.

Quite a bit then?

Heh heh heh

According to your logic, there would have to be some major event that causes all forums across the entire world to degrade in order for you to consider the forums to be degraded.
According to your logic that summarizes my logic, I'm making a comparison of posting in the forums to... I'm suggesting that these forums um.... I don't follow your logic of my logic. Why would my logic say that all forums would degrade?

I'm sure quite a few people got annoyed at the conversation going on.
Only the ones that kept clicking to enter the thread despite knowing that they didn't want to.

I'm sure some new people didn't get questions answered at all or in the normal timely fashion that we are used to here because of that thread.
That one thread kept TPTB from answering questions vaguely or not at all?

I'm sure some people were inconvenienced or bothered by the thread constantly being at the top of the list.
How is it an inconvenience? If they're bothered by it they're a little too sensitive at best, but degraded??? I think not.

All these things are a degradation.
Except for all of them.

I'll assume that by "Bull Hooey" you mean, "You're correct".

You couldn't degrade anything if you tried and you know it.

Or is it, as someone else has said, better that they have a place to play all day so they'll leave all our other threads alone? :D

I didn't get into it until pretty late....

Or is it, as someone else has said, better that they have a place to play all day so they'll leave all our other threads alone? :ph34r:

I didn't get into it until pretty late....

Page 18, I think. Better late than never.

Or is it, as someone else has said, better that they have a place to play all day so they'll leave all our other threads alone? :(

You have hit it on the head! There exists a handful of otherwise-fine-and-lovable-and-fun geocachers on this forum who love to argue, to nit-pick, to engage in lengthy and repetitious and never-ending (and insane...) arguments over how many angels will fit on the head of a pin, and over the flaws in the arguments posted by the previous poster. Far better that the one thread that you have referenced act as a fly-trap, rather than having them (and the guy with the weird and irritating icon who hasta/musta send a troll post to every thread) infest the rest of the forum threads! :ph34r:

Well.. I like it.