What type of footwear do you use geocaching.

~Mark~

I go to Wal-Mart and buy a pair of $20 hiking shoes, and wear them until they fall apart. One pair will last me a couple of years.

Perfect. :ph34r:

Not so perfect, I can usually walk right out of a $20 dollar pair of sneakers in a month. Tired of repeated trips to Wal-Mart, I broke down and tried the ReeBok outlet. One pair of those is just now starting to shred after a year, the other purchased at the same time (same shoe, different color) blew out the air pillow soles at the 4 month mark.

No you can't. And they're not sneakers.

During the winter, I wear LL Bean hiking boots. They're ok, but others here have covered hiking boots pretty well. My real favorite thing to hike in is what I wear in warmer weather; Keen Newport water sandals.

2945_main.jpg

They give better protection against undergrowth, & don't pick up sticks like my Tevas did. Plus they're great for clinging on rocks. I feel like a gecko in these things! You can wear them in water or on land, and they are so comfortable! All around great caching footwear! Eventually, I want to get a pair of the shoes they make as well. :drama:

During the winter, I wear LL Bean hiking boots. They're ok, but others here have covered hiking boots pretty well. My real favorite thing to hike in is what I wear in warmer weather; Keen Newport water sandals.

2945_main.jpg

They give better protection against undergrowth, & don't pick up sticks like my Tevas did. Plus they're great for clinging on rocks. I feel like a gecko in these things! You can wear them in water or on land, and they are so comfortable! All around great caching footwear! Eventually, I want to get a pair of the shoes they make as well. :drama:

Can you wear socks with those? I have been thinking of buying a pair for when I kayak/fish but would like to try them caching as well but my feet need socks when hiking.

Thanks for all the advice. I ended up going to Cabela’s, and trying on everything they had. I ended up coming home with a pair of Cabela's Backcountry Hikers. I also got ten pair of good wool sox. My son also grabbed a pair of the backcountry hikers. 59bucks, could not beat the price. I put them on, and went for a five mile walk yesterday (in the rain) my feet felt great, and dry to boot.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who gave me good advice. When I got to Cabela’s I had a list of things I wanted in a boot, and no kidding with the number of boots I had to choose from I am glad I had this info.

I used to cache in tennis shoes. Then one day, when I was a mile from the car, a thorn went right through the bottom of my shoe and into my foot. It hit the bone! I no longer where tennis shoes caching. That hurt!

Last month, I thought I had a rock in the treads of my hiking boots, my cache partner pulled it out, and it was another thorn! Had I been in my tennis shoes, that sucker would have been in my foot again! Actually, if it would have gone straight up, it would have gotten my foot a little with the boots, but it was at an angle. But in the tennis shoes, it would have gone through my foot again!

2945_main.jpg

Another option for summertime caching is Chaco sandals . . . I love mine! I have a bad foot and those give me the arch support I need.

1479619.jpg

2945_main.jpg

Can you wear socks with those? I have been thinking of buying a pair for when I kayak/fish but would like to try them caching as well but my feet need socks when hiking.

I'm not sure how they'd be with socks, as I've never tried it. The straps are attached to a stretchy neoprene like material, which can be tightened or loosened with the bungee cord. Mine were a little snug at first, but have loosened a bit over time. Best thing would be to try on a pair at the store while wearing the socks you hike in.

Hi meeisenb,

Well, you won't necessarily need special footwear at (WARNING, SHAMELESS PLUG TO FOLLOW) CA_CA's Second Winter Event in Firestone Park, GC18GM0 :unsure: but I have found the combo of HiTech leather waterproof hikers and toe warmers, if necessary, to do the trick! If it is frigid, I go with my Cabella-type boots. You know, the ones with a rubber bottom and leather tops. I got my HiTech's at Mickey's Army-Navy in Warren, OH. I think you can find a suede version at Famous Footwear.

See you at Firestone Park!

Carl

2945_main.jpg

They give better protection against undergrowth, & don't pick up sticks like my Tevas did. Plus they're great for clinging on rocks. I feel like a gecko in these things! You can wear them in water or on land, and they are so comfortable! All around great caching footwear! Eventually, I want to get a pair of the shoes they make as well. :lol:

I'm not sure how they'd be with socks, as I've never tried it. The straps are attached to a stretchy neoprene like material, which can be tightened or loosened with the bungee cord. Mine were a little snug at first, but have loosened a bit over time. Best thing would be to try on a pair at the store while wearing the socks you hike in.

My issue with these is that you get rocks, dirt and twigs inside frequently and ya gotta take them off to get rid of the debris.

I am all about the "florida style" caching... So I wear these..

5801_1.jpg

I don't think those would cut it "Jersey Style" :unsure:

4799e455-0bb2-437e-b2f0-f653669150cf.jpg

Edited by briansnat

2945_main.jpg

They give better protection against undergrowth, & don't pick up sticks like my Tevas did. Plus they're great for clinging on rocks. I feel like a gecko in these things! You can wear them in water or on land, and they are so comfortable! All around great caching footwear! Eventually, I want to get a pair of the shoes they make as well. :o

My issue with these is that you get rocks, dirt and twigs inside frequently and ya gotta take them off to get rid of the debris.

This is true to some extent. They do sometimes get dirt and small pebbles inside. I haven't noticed a problem with sticks. Forget sand... they hold onto sand better than a bucket! But I still love them! They're so comfortable and stable otherwise, and they're very easy to get on and off. Gotta love the toe protection. The Tevas I had would scoop up and jam large sticks into my feet. Not so with these.