What type of footwear do you use geocaching.

~Mark~

Ok, last weekend I took a path less taken, and ended up going through mud, and water. My Redwing steel toed shoes kept my feet dry, but my toes got cold.

I enjoyed walking on the not so developed paths, and I think I want to do this more often. I just need to find a good waterproof hiking shoe, and I figured I would get some good advice before I start.

To tell the truth, I typically just wear a pair of New Balance MW603 'Country Walkers'.

AAAAAmRcMW8AAAAAAFYAjA.jpg

I love these shoes. They stick to rocks (even wet ones) without slipping and are very comfortable.

The problem is, they don't give me any ankle support. Sooner or later, I know that I'm going to pull a Moose Mob and break my ankle. Therefore, I've been considering a pair of boots. I'm thinking that I might go with New Balance MO1200 hikers.

MO1200GT.jpg

Edited by sbell111

Most of the time I use LL Bean Cresta hikers. Good support, waterproof and rugged.

M14774_Dark_Brown.jpg

If I'm doing short urban or suburban caches then it's a pair of trail runners. They give more support than

regular running shoes and are waterproof, so your feet don't get soaked when walking through dewy grass, or crossing puddles. These are my current pair. Soloman XR Comp 3 GTX (meaning Gore Tex).

7958-447868-d.jpg

With the colder months, I've kinda been hooked on the "Rocky" brand, in 800 thinsulate (nice high arch I require) or Merrell Winterras'.

Deep snow, it's Sorel Pacs (toasty, with a built-in gaiter).

"Warmer" weather, I switch from hikers' by Scarpa, Lowa, Merrell and numerous Columbia, depending on terrain and length of hike.

Try many on. Don't listen so much to us, except maybe pointers. Walk a few miles (at least two), or wait 'til the end of your work day, THEN go in to try 'em on (you want them to fit your NOW slightly-swollen foot.)

Nearly every brand favors a wider or narrower foot profile.

Footwear with Gore-Tex or other waterproofing is recommended.

CJ prefers trail runners/sneakers, while I don't like anything lower than my ankles, prefering mids or full boot.

I got a great old pair of Lowa hiking boots that I have had for probably 8 or 9 years that treat me well. They have a tall rubber bottom that comes up teh side to waterproof them to that height and they are great. when if I ever buy another pair of hiking boots I would look no further than Lowa because these bots have lasted so long and been through just about everything imaginable and still held up.

7468uh7.jpg

Vasque hiking boots. They're about 10 years old (not the exact model pictured, but it's close). I just put in new Spenco insoles and got new Vibram soles put on, and they're like brand-new again. Should be good for another 10 years or so. Once they do eventually wear out, I wouldn't hesitate to get another pair of Vasques.

Edited by Prime Suspect

I wear a pair of the New Balance 965's. These shoes are great! Like sbell111 said they really will stick to anything including wet rock. They're also very comfortable.

newbalance.jpg

I wear the 965's all of the time. They are fantastic in wet conditions and going up and down hills. I have owned 6 pairs in the last 3 years. They are also the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned. I wear a pair of Vasque hiking boots when the going gets real rough though

Asking people what boots work for them is not the best way to buy hiking boots. The best way is to go to a dealer that knows how to fit a hiking boot. It is about the fit, not the brand. You might want to read this.

What works for one persone may not work for the next.

how to buy boots

The main reason I am asking this question is usually you will get the jest of what people are using, and also when your local store says you will love xyz brand, and someone has said they tried them, and they fell apart you will have a little bit of a loaded gun.

I wear these most of the time, Vasque Sundowner GTX. Probably the best footwear I have ever bought. I've had them 8-9 years and they are still running strong.

vasquesundowner.jpg

I wear these when its warmer out, Merrell Chameleon Wrap XCR

wolve159047_88486_lg.jpg

Both are waterproof which is nice.

Edited by QC 49ers

For the majority of the cache I find, I wear Teva's. It matters not what season - around here the only way to tell the seasons is the temp of the rain :laughing: - if there's a little water to cross I just go for it. Up go the pant legs (or if it's deeper, off come the pant legs, convertable pants are wonderful) and across I go, no worries if the water is too deep for the boots.

I wear Merrell hiking shoes and boots, both waterproof. I have had painful bone spurs for 10 years and my feet stopped hurting when I put on my first pair--no orthotics needed! My snow boots are Columbia... slightly less comfy and stiffer, but totally waterproof and very warm. I tend to wear the hiking boots in the snow anyway, unless it is very deep.

Asking people what boots work for them is not the best way to buy hiking boots. The best way is to go to a dealer that knows how to fit a hiking boot. It is about the fit, not the brand. You might want to read this.

how to buy boots

The main reason I am asking this question is usually you will get the jest of what people are using, and also when your local store says you will love xyz brand, and someone has said they tried them, and they fell apart you will have a little bit of a loaded gun.

And in some cases the boots that fall apart are cheap low quality boots. Or in some cases a boot may have fallen apart becuase the person wearing the boot is to heavy for the boot. Lots of people like to buy light weight boots, the problem here is that in order to lighten the boot the manufacture has to use thiner materials to reduce the weight of te boot, this also shortens the usefull life of the boot.

Just because someone bought XYZ boot and it did not hold up does not mean it was not a good boot. It may have been designed for lighter duty use than that person was using it for.

A boot that is designed for trail running is not going to hold up like a boot that is made for hiking.

A shoe that is made for walking is not going to hold up like a boot made for hiking.

Also keep in mind what may fit your fellow geocacher may not fit your foot.

If you have an REI or similar store in your area pick a day when you have time to try on several boots form several compaies in several styles.

Companies like Vasque, Lowa, Merrill, and Asolo to name a few make very good boots, but they do not feel the same when you try the on The Vasque Sundowner feels great on my feet, but the Alolso 520 GTX in no way fits me. It is not a problem with the boot it is just the way my feet are. I like the 520 GTX, it is a very well made boot, I just does not fit my feet.

Edit to add:

Wool sox, use wool sox like Smart wool, or at least a sock with some wool in it. I use Smart wool and Thorlo KLT (33% wool) series.

Stay away from cotton sox, they are not good for your feet, cotton sox will keep your feet wet and cold, this can result in foot health issues. Wool sox will wick the moisture away from your feel and keep your feet dry.

Edited by JohnnyVegas
Just because someone bought XYZ boot and it did not hold up does not mean it was not a good boot. It may have been designed for lighter duty use than that person was using it for.

Or dried near a fire. That is the quickest way to destroy a pair of hiking boots.

I forgot that one LOL, I remember I had a customer put his boots his boots by a heater and forgot they about them Ha! They really got messed up.

The problem is, they don't give me any ankle support. Sooner or later, I know that I'm going to pull a Moose Mob and break my ankle. Therefore, I've been considering a pair of boots. I'm thinking that I might go with New Balance MO1200 hikers.

MO1200GT.jpg

I've been wearing a pair of the MO1200GTs for about 4 months now. They took a few days to break in to a confortable state, but I do like them. I've also got a set of the NB cross country walkers that are goretex lined. These are great for wet city streets.

JohnnyVegas brings up a good point-about the socks. I've probably sunk hundreds of dollars in Smartwool socks since I discovered them. Can't wear anything else now, people think I'm crazy for spending $15+ for a pair of socks, but if my feet are happy, I'm happy. :laughing:

Edited by jpwrangler

Merrell hiking shoes. We bought them at REI 5+ years ago & still using them. Husband wears his everyday. He's never had a pair of "sneakers" last more than a year. But he is due for another pair & we will be buying the same brand.

Be sure they fit right. REI has / had an incline ramp you can walk on. Make sure you don't slide inside the shoe when walking downhill. Nice and tight in the heel of the shoe also.

Edited by wandering4cache

JohnnyVegas brings up a good point-about the socks. I've probably sunk hundreds of dollars in Smartwool socks since I discovered them. Can't wear anything else now, people think I'm crazy for spending $15+ for a pair of socks, but if my feet are happy, I'm happy. :laughing:

I agree. They very expensive, I kick myself every time I go buy a few new pairs, but they really are worth it. I know I've spent more on smartwool socks than I have on hiking boots. If your doing a lot of walking/hiking though your boots aren't going to be any better than the socks under them.

how to buy boots

And in some cases the boots that fall apart are cheap low quality boots. Or in some cases a boot may have fallen apart becuase the person wearing the boot is to heavy for the boot. Lots of people like to buy light weight boots, the problem here is that in order to lighten the boot the manufacture has to use thiner materials to reduce the weight of te boot, this also shortens the usefull life of the boot.

A boot that is designed for trail running is not going to hold up like a boot that is made for hiking.

A shoe that is made for walking is not going to hold up like a boot made for hiking.

And sometimes even high quality boots fall apart - generally from age. I had one boot self destruct half way up a ridge on the way to a cache (I wish I'd had some duct tape, but I made it anyhow!), but I'd used the boots for well over 10 years and resoled them at least twice. I was hoping to get one more trip out of the poor things...

arctic%20adult%20medium.jpg

Right Now, Muck Arctic Sports boots, with two pairs of socks.

Awesome, highly recommended. I easily climbed an icy, snowy, windy 60 foot fire tower, and sloshed through nasty slush for an entire 6 hour hunt without so much as even considering how my feet might be holding up.

When the weather is nicer and presumed dry, I just roll your basic high ankle rubber soled hiking boot.

If I understood how to upload pics I'd show you my 36 year old Pivetta's still going strong with original laces and soles. What adventures I've had with them. Done nothing but clean and condition them. After a lot of research I recently bought Meindl Borneo's as a back up pair. They are still nowhere near the quality of the Pivetta's.

I have had finds barefoot, in tevas, nikes, dress shoes, hiking boots, combat boots and hip waiters. Just a mater of what the cahe calls for and what im wearing. if its and urban and I can get on way home from work I might. I i have to crawl through a swamp in the rain I aint wearing loafers. Most the time though I wear my REDBACK boots from Ausie land

Edited by ProjectFred325

If I understood how to upload pics I'd show you my 36 year old Pivetta's still going strong with original laces and soles. What adventures I've had with them. Done nothing but clean and condition them. After a lot of research I recently bought Meindl Borneo's as a back up pair. They are still nowhere near the quality of the Pivetta's.

I had a Pair of Pivetta muir trails back in the 70's

I go to Wal-Mart and buy a pair of $20 hiking shoes, and wear them until they fall apart. One pair will last me a couple of years.

Perfect. :D

Not so perfect, I can usually walk right out of a $20 dollar pair of sneakers in a month. Tired of repeated trips to Wal-Mart, I broke down and tried the ReeBok outlet. One pair of those is just now starting to shred after a year, the other purchased at the same time (same shoe, different color) blew out the air pillow soles at the 4 month mark.

Ok, last weekend I took a path less taken, and ended up going through mud, and water. My Redwing steel toed shoes kept my feet dry, but my toes got cold.

I enjoyed walking on the not so developed paths, and I think I want to do this more often. I just need to find a good waterproof hiking shoe, and I figured I would get some good advice before I start.

Simply the best, there are watter proof types too, or this type can be sprayed easily and unless you stand in water for a long time, the spray works nicely.

Snakeboots.jpg

Edited by Hobo2

Like two other posters in this thread I use Vasque. They usually last me about 4 hiking seasons and I usually hike in a lot of rough backcountry. And Vasque is usually sold at a Redwings store and the people there measure your foot for your boots.

I have owned all different brands of hiking boots over the years while hiking and backpacking all over the country. My current favorite for geocaching is the Vasque Kota Mid XCR. :D Even though they are lightweight, they are very comfortable and supportive. They are a little pricey, but worth it. The added bonus is the waterproof factor with the Goretex XCR.

Like a few other posters have mentioned, good socks is very vital to keeping healthy feet. I wear Smartwool medium crew hiking socks. These were backpacker magazines editors choice award for best all around hiking sock. They are spendy, but your feet will love them. :D

JohnnyVegas brings up a good point-about the socks. I've probably sunk hundreds of dollars in Smartwool socks since I discovered them. Can't wear anything else now, people think I'm crazy for spending $15+ for a pair of socks, but if my feet are happy, I'm happy. :D

I agree with those who tout the Smartwool socks. I wear them for all of my outdoor activities. The merino wool helps to absorb moisture and keep my feet dry and confortable. Socks are probably the most critical first step in deciding which shoes to buy.

Always wear the socks you intend to wear with the shoes when trying on and buying. I actually went so far as to buy sample pairs of multiple sock brands before settling on the Smartwools.